Magnus

Avantasia

78 posts in this topic

I can't believe no one has made a topic about this incredible band yet! They will release a new album next year!

Avantasia is a heavy metal/power metal supergroup project created by Tobias Sammet, vocalist and frontman of the band Edguy. The project's title is a portmanteau of the words "avalon" and "fantasia" ("fantasy").

Discography:

2001: The Metal Opera pt. 1

2002: The Metal Opera pt. 2

2007: Lost in Space pt.1 (EP)

2008: Lost in Space pt. 2 (EP)

2008: The Scarecrow

2010: The Wicked Symphony

2010: Angel of Babylon

2011: The Flying Opera (Live)

2013: The Mystery of Time

Guest vocalists include:

• Sharon den Adel
  • Michael Kiske
  • Jørn Lande
  • Amanda Somerville
  • Roy Khan
  • Alice Cooper
  • Russell Allen
  • Eric Singer
  • Klaus Meine

... and many more!

I do love Avantasia, and I'm thrilled about the new album and tour. I've seen them live twice and I'm planning on seeing the again, next year. My favourite album should be The scarecrow, but I think even the Metal Operas are reaaaaaaally good. I'm a strange case though, I love Avantasia, but I barely listen to Edguy...

Same here. Edguy doesn't really do it for me. But I discovered Avantasia with the Lost in Space EP releases. I love Twisted Mind!

Very very excited for the new album! I also cannot get into Edguy, I like a few songs, but mostly those that sound like they could be Avantasia songs :P

They're so, so incredibly cheesy it should be criminal, and frankly anyone who listens to them should be locked up because it shouldn't be legal to write lyrics like Dying for an Angel ...which is, of course, why I absolutely love them :D I have to say they probably make the greatest choruses in the world. My favourite chorus on the entire planet, in any genre, is probably the one from Wicked Symphony. It's just so...SO catchy, catchy doesn't even begin to describe it.

I was sad when I saw them live for what was supposed to be their last (and my first) time, they said Avantasia was over for now, they'd take a break so that Tobias could focus on his other projects. I'm so happy he changed his mind barely a year later :D

And live, they really are something because they really make it a show. It's not big things, it's not like an Emilie Autumn show where there is as much emphasis on the theatrics as there is on the music or probably even more, but there are a few elements that really make it sound like a "Metal Opera". Simple things such as the different singers standing in a straight line really make an impact. And obviously all the guest singers - Amanda Somerville is fantastic. I had no idea who she was, and when I first saw her (she was really fat when I saw them) on stage I was wondering why he got her on stage because considering how important visuals are to an Avantasia show, I thought she didn't look very, well, visually appealing (yeah yeah I know I'm mean because I don't like fat people, please read again, that's not what I said). Then she opened her mouth and woooow! I immediately understood!

Basically I love them :D

Yes I do love them aswell!

As snowhite I saw them live in Wacken at what was supposed to be their farewell show and I totally agree with her (I guess it was the stupid dress she wore that made her look incredibly fat and that has been so ugly aswell)!

And you know what: I will be seeing them again next festival season!!! I somewhere read it will be a special 2 hour long (!) show, so yeah that probably will be mindblowing!

As for the Albums Wicked Symphony is my fav and Runaway Train is my favourite song! (It´s just a perfect song and has everthing a super epic long song needs!; The Wicked symphony is great aswell but I like RT a bit more)

I liked the Metal Operas years ago, but my interest had disappeared already before Lost in Space. They're still good albums, even though I never listen to them, and I'm sure the later albums have good material on them too, but I haven't just cared to bother. Bit how I listen(ed) pretty much solely to Theater of Salvation and Mandrake of Edguy albums. Maybe one day I go back and find jewels.

I never really got into Avantasia. I love some of the songs that feature lead singers I adore (like Dying for an angel, for example, or Twisted Mind, Death is Just a Feeling or Scales of Justice), but overall I find them rather dull and too cheesy for my taste. I tried giving them a chance more then once, but they're everything I hate about power metal :(

They haven't been very power metal-ish post The Metal Opera albums. They're more symphonic hard rock with metal elements now.

Wow...now that collaboration is going to kick some serious ass! :D I am officially twice as excited!

Some new Artists have been revealed and the Tracklist of the album:

January 19, 2013

"THE MYSTERY OF TIME" TRACKLIST REVEALED

In March the new Avantasia album "The Mystery Of Time" will be released worldwide. Lyrically it marks a conceptual story again, and the tracklist reads as follows: Spectres, The Watchmakers' Dream, Black Orchid, Where Clock Hands Freeze, Sleepwalking, Savior In The Clockwork, Invoke The Machine, What's Left Of Me, Dweller In A Dream and The Great Mystery.

(from: http://www.tobiassammet.com/eng/index.php)

Don´t know what I think about it... Could be quite an interesting topic (well coud be cliched and cheesy, but that´s what I expect from them anyway), quite Avantasia typical ;)

I love The Metal Operas and The Scarecrow, but I didn't really get into the last two, tho I only gave them one listen. Should try that again. My favourite song is The Seven Angels, amazing amazing song. The only, ahem, regrettable thing about Avantasia for me is Tobias singing. :P But on the other hand Jorn Lande is only like my favourite male voice in metal ever so yeah, exponential score of awesome for any song he's on.

Pfftt Tobi why can't you let Jorn sing all the songs? 07d264752645fd99124df804e87d384ff785bb1e.jpg

I used to listen to Avantasia a couple of years ago, I kinda lost interest over the years. Hopefully this new album will win my interest back.

dunno... It´s Ok... It´s good but did not get me at first listen :/

Oh and the artwork reminds me so bad of Orden Ogan´s current album!

I'm kinda disappointed so far. The Wicked Symphony was pretty good overall. The Angel of Babylon was not. It seems they're continuing on the same path as the latter album.

I dunno what they sound like, but that album cover looks a little to "cute" to take seriously. Are they a fantasy themed band?

They're kind of a mixture of symphonic/folk/fantasy/power metal and Bon Jovi lol.

So, now that the album has been released in some countries, does anybody have an overall opinion about it? I listened to the teaser and there are a couple of songs that sound especially promising. Imo, nothing has really beaten The Metal Opera, but I'm kinda hoping there'll be some epicness in the last album. I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't have Jorn Lande this time, though... :(

Easter bunny will bring the Album today if it isn't lost in the snow and I will write about it when I listened to it completely