Jaime Lankyster

Poepmonsters Pub

1,718 posts in this topic

Here it's not yet, but as I doubt I'll be free after 12 o'clock, I'll wish you all here a VERY happy 2018, hope you have a great start of the year! :)

Belated happy new year to all of you. My 2018 started off quite well although there will be a couple of challenges I have to face this year. I'm trying to be not too pessimistic for once because one of my bad habits is always expecting the worst and sometimes that is not that helpful.

That predicted Siberian cold front is starting to hit Finland now. I just measured -20C for the first time this winter and it's still dropping. Even -30C has been mentioned and it will stay like this for a long time. It's completely clear and still outside. Nice change of pace to that rain/sleet/snow/clouds/mist/rain/sleet/snow-snow we had for months. 

The water levels in the channel that runs through the city I live in has finally started to drop, but it wasn't that long ago, when it was really high. I actually don't recall water levels that high. It was really rainy start to this winter. Finally it turned to snow permanently and now there's very nice winter going on. Lots of snow, lots of frost, clear weather and spring is just around the corner, so the days are actually all ready relatively warm. Very nice weathers to go outside for a change. 

9 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

Be prepared for millions of Dutch with their speed skates on coming your way after the Olympics! Get the hot chocolate ready!

It's around freezing point here.

Damn, I'm sorry to say that before this freezing it snowed quite heavily and now there's lots of snow (and water under it) on the lake ice. Otherwise it would have been wonderful circumstances for skating on ice. They just have to drink that hot chocolate. With a touch of whiskey, perhaps:giggle:.

@Harvest

Well, the only proper medicine for our utter piss poor Olympics (:D:D:D:D:D) would be 2 and a half week of -20, so we will be able to hold the Eleven City Tour in Friesland!!!! Now, THAT would be better than becoming world champion football!:music:

Good to see you in here again. I thought we have lost you somewhere in cyberspace along with some other brave pub souls. I would appreciate if some others return edas well but that is just a hopeless dream. Anyway, I'm doing quite well. Hope you are doing well too. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that siberian cold front which is coming here next week, in fact it will be already here tomorrow. It is going to be really cold and I don't like that at all. I will have to bury myself in blankets with lots of hot tea. Have I already mentioned that I desperately want spring to arrive?

On 24.2.2018 at 9:28 PM, hunebedbouwer said:

Yep, it's -7 here and it's getting even colder the coming week. Also a nasty wind will blow. At least it has been sunny!

The next couple of days will be coldest of this winter here. The temperatures are dropping below -20 tomorrow with feisty easterly winds. When that wind calms down, there will be a clear night and -30 degree temperatures are expected all over southern Finland. And when that cool air goes over the open Baltic Sea, the Swedes and the Danes are probably getting a nice dosage of snow. Maybe you Dutchies as well:)

Ýes, we like snow, but we want your Finnish clear minus 30 for 10 days!!! The ice needs to be 15cm thick everywhere before the race of all Dutch races can be announced in Frisian......those most magical words ever to be uttered on Dutch tv:  'it giet oan'   !!!!!!! It will cause hundred times more exitement over here than all our Winter Games medals together! The last one was 21 years ago!

Please, please, let it happen!

2 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

The last one was 21 years ago!

Is it true that the race was almost held in 2012. But got cancelled.

They predict that this cold front will linger over Europe for a long time. Maybe you will get your race.

@Harvest

Yep! It was so close and yet so far. The route is divided in 11 parts (every city has its own duty to measure and take care of the ice) and are called Icemasters. In 2012, there were 2 parts, which were not thick enough. They transplanted even thicker ice to those parts, but it was just too dangerous, because it did simply not freeze hard enough. The already to high fever aroused Dutch suffered a major cool down!!!:P

The BBC and other news channels were already in the land. IF it happens, the international media will come out in incredible forces. In 1997 all the social media weren't there yet.

Since then, out of frustration, the Frisians organised the race (200km) for cars, bikes, inline skates, boats, surfboards, canoes, walkers and God knows what else!                                                

Feb. 23 2014 2:24 PM

This Insane 120-Mile Speedskating Race Makes the Winter Olympics Look Easy By Justin Peters

138479715-dutch-volunteer-measures-on-february-7-2012-theOn Feb. 7, 2012, a Dutch volunteer measures the thickness of the ice on a canal in northern Netherlands to see whether the annual Elfstedentocht can start.

Photo by Lex Van Lieshout/AFP/Getty Images

As the 2014 Winter Olympics draw to a close, one thing, at least, is clear: The Dutch are the greatest speedskaters in the world. The Netherlands won 23 speedskating medals in Sochi; the second-most-successful nation, Poland, only won three. Why are the Dutch so good at speedskating? For one thing, the sport is a bonafide national obsession. (Seriously: I hope someday to care about anything as much as the Dutch apparently care about speedskating.) And if you want to understand the depths of that obsession, it helps to understand the Elfstedentocht.

Justin PetersJustin Peters
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Elfstedentocht—Dutch for “Eleven Cities Tour”—is a 200-kilometer outdoor speedskating race over the frozen canals of Friesland, a northern province of the Netherlands. It has been described as “the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup and World Series rolled into one”—and it might just be my favorite athletic event of all time. The race was first held in 1909, and has since become a national tradition, an epic test of Dutch citizens’ endurance, athleticism, and sanity. On the website Cafe Babel, a fan posted an ominous ode to the race: “Think, endless stretches of ice in a barren landscape/ Think, the wind cutting on your face and sweeping snow in your eyes/ Think, frozen toes, fingers, noses and ears/ Think, the hardest race in the world.” Sign me up!

Advertisement

There’s no set schedule for the Elfstedentocht; it only happens when the ice is sufficiently thick—at least 15 centimeters in depth throughout. But the impromptu nature of the race is a big part of what makes it so exciting. Once the organizers decide that the conditions are right for an Elfstedentocht, plans are made, and the race is held within 48 hours of the official announcement. The race kicks off at 5:30 in the morning, and must be completed before midnight that same day. The skaters pass through 11 cities, collecting a stamp in each one, cheered by millions of spectators. Though professional speedskaters are the ones competing for the fastest times, thousands of ordinary Dutch citizens skate the route, too, just for fun. In 1986, Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander skated the Elfstedentocht, under the pseudonym “W.A. Van Buren.”

The most memorable Elfstedentocht happened in 1963, when temperatures were so low and conditions so snowy and windy that fewer than 200 out of approximately 10,000 participants actually finished the race. Countless skaters suffered frostbite and other weather-related injuries. The race became known as “The Hell of ’63,” and this video gives you a sense of why the name was apt:

There hasn’t been an Elfstedentocht since 1997, when the race was won by Henk Angenent, a speedskater and Brussels sprout farmer, who finished in 6 hours and 49 minutes. But every winter, the Dutch hope that the race might happen. In 2012 temperatures dipped low enough that an Elfstedentocht seemed possible, and the Netherlands went crazy. Skating fans booked every hotel room in Friesland. Speedskaters declared that they would skip the upcoming world championships to skate the Elfstedentocht. “Busy sharpening skates, rummaging through layers of clothes, training soon for the elfstedentocht. I’VE GOT THE FEVER,” Vancouver speedskating gold medalist Mark Tuitert posted on Twitter. Unfortunately, the organizing committee decided that the ice was insufficiently thick, and the race was canceled. According to the BBC, an Elfstedentocht official “urged skaters not to despair and instead get out on the ice and skate their disappointment away.”

And I think that explains why the Dutch are so good at speedskating. All year, they look forward to this horribly grueling outdoor skating contest, and when it doesn’t happen, they console themselves with more skating. Now that’s devotion! With global temperatures trending upward, some wonder whether conditions will ever again be right for the Elfstedentocht. Let’s hope so. Until then, the Dutch will have to console themselves with continued international dominance of a sport that nobody comes close to caring about as much as they do.

Yesterday's felt temperature was -15 degrees Celcius and I made the mistake to take a walk around the lake without proper winter clothing for the legs. I thought my legs were about to freeze off and I was beyond happy when I finally got home and out of the cold. Best thing is the cold will leave us on the weekend finally. But I heard there will be rain. That was the only positive thing about the cold weather it came with a lot of sun and some slight snow fall earlier this week. But I'm more than ready for spring and I can't wait to see all the spring flowers start to bloom again.

Yes, the spring is finally starting here. But the downside is, that it's starting with a nice blizzard. Motorist driving back from their Easter holidays are warned, Finnair is cancelling flights. 

Of course by tomorrow this will become a another major hysteria and nothing else besides standard Finnish winter blizzard will happen. They are forecasting 20 cm of snow and talking like it's the end of the world. 

But. This starts to become a little exhausting. First we had every form of water raining down from October to February. Then couple of months of colder than average dry air. And when it finally started to look like spring is on it's way here, another 20 cm of snow to be shoveled. Well, after this one: welcome spring, we've been waiting. 

Keeping in mind the weather in the end of April last year (and the following so-called "summer") anything can still happen.

9 minutes ago, whitenoise said:

Keeping in mind the weather in the end of April last year (and the following so-called "summer") anything can still happen.

Having my hopes up, since this time we actually had a winter (well at least once it got started). 

Yeah last years spring was awful. And it didn't get much better during the summer, either. 

I'm here to whine and moan!  4 snow storms in March...downstate New York....and more snow today April 2, 2018!    It snowed for several hours during the morning commute. Idiot drivers on the road, late for work.....more snow predicted for Saturday!

image.JPGimg_0947-1522679982-414.jpg

An now mind you, I like snow and cold weather but please Mother Nature---bring us a nice spring!

Rant over!  I join the Finns to commiserate!

That´s what you get when you´ve got Trump in power..............China already stopped exporting their good weather!!!:giggle:

It´s gorgeous weather over here.....26 degrees and the sun is beaming! I´m in my shorts and intend to visit the beach!

sunbathing-dogs.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Huskies on the beach!!! How sweet! Love those dogs

🐕🐕🐕 🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕

maggie-sunning.jpg