Jaime Lankyster

Poepmonsters Pub

1,572 posts in this topic

The older I get, the worse I can´t handle these extreme temperatures above 30 degrees. And I really use to love those days when I was younger. Not anymore. The only measure I can take (apart from installing a ridiculously expensive AC) is to keep the curtains and windows closed solidly during the day with a good working ventilator. I learned that in very hot countries. And I do also take a siesta in the afternoon when it's so hot. It sounds corny, but it definitely works for a better mood. Even inside those high temperatures do wear you out, not to mention when it's also humid. And take a few cold showers during a day. It refreshes you always for a couple of hours.

Then, after sundown...........throw everything open and let fresh air in till the morning. And repeat it as long as it very hot. It's not the most appealing way to stay in home, but it kind of works, because the difference when you go outside and the temperature inside is enormous. A swimming pool in my garden would be the ultimate cooling device for me. I think I would develope flippers in no time in summer.........    

The persistent jet stream patterns have kept us safe from the heat this summer. It's quite cozy here. On the other hand, there has been lots of sunny days, but this summer isn't nearly as hot as it was last year. The nearest official weather station gives 13 degrees morning temperature and the weather is clear. Now with this, you can live with. This jet stream pattern doesn't seem to go away, either, so in Finland and Nordic countries in general, I'm beginning to think that last years "heat dome" doesn't repeat itself. 

But Central Europe is being hammered with African heat. In France +40 degree temperatures are being expected, Germany broke their temperature record for June, Spain over 40 and so on. 

It's that jet stream that keeps us safe. Situation similar to last year and it would be that heat dome all over again. 

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

Can you send that jet stream over here, please?

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Done. Though, even if I'm all powerful It takes a few days. Sunday and Monday should be better:D

What happened to the jet stream last summer?

@Eilenna

It crashed into a warehouse unfortunately.........

Image result for jet crashed

@Harvest

I think you might need the whole Finnair fleet for that stream ..........a LIVE stream of that would be very cool!!!:giggle:

As it's a Tuska weekend and people are wearing black, we have made an agreement with the devil that no hellish temp in Finland now. It would be painful.

10 hours ago, Eilenna said:

What happened to the jet stream last summer?

Firstly, here's  Jennifer Francis explaining what is a jet stream and a theory what's happening with those jet streams as the arctic melts:

Now, most of last summer we were in a pattern in which those jet streams "curved" over Scandinavia and there were several events of those blocked high pressures over us. And that created that constant heat and drought. It's basically a very large pocket of air, that blocks those low pressure systems out. 

Of course block heigh pressures are naturally reoccurring event. But those scientists are now starting to link the persistence of such events to jet stream slowing down, becoming more wavier. 

10 hours ago, whitenoise said:

As it's a Tuska weekend and people are wearing black, we have made an agreement with the devil that no hellish temp in Finland now. It would be painful.

@whitenoise AKA rednose--my apologies for the typo.....

Tuska 3 days of dancing with the devil!   :diablo::diablo::diablo:   Nice line up especially with Marko playing.

While at Copenhell, I saw a T-shirt (in black of course)  that said "Black Is My Happy Color".   Gotta get that for my non varied wardrobe.

My older sister and I saw NW in Florida some years back and she asked me what she should wear...very simple answer---BLACK!

Hope you have no pain at Tuska and only enjoy!

Pictures from Lappeenranta. Thunderstorm hit the city yesterday, flooding and major hailstorm occurred. 

raekuuro2.jpg

59f00c388191731a8a5a62ef70cec328e9ec185c

195daef89f457b77b9a7601b302c56b4e76d4bc7

93fd95f71057e1b1e72169f432c78ba992cee2ec

Roughly a month ago our little city got hammered by a thunderstorm as well. More than 60 mm of water and hails poured in less than an hour,   streets were flooded as the sewage system flooded, water went into basements,, even our hospital was flooded. Thunderstorms are nice to watch, but not to be played with. I guess we must get used to this. Flash floods during thunderstorms aren't of course new here, but the frequency of such events seems to be growing. 

A low pressure system is virtually parking itself east of Finland. The lows rotate counter-clockwise in northern hemisphere due to Coriolis force, so that means north-north-east winds for days to come. Raining and cold winds to be expected for more than a week. 

So, no heat waves similar to last summer this year. Of course, there is still a possibility for a block high pressure system to form later in July, but as the nights get longer, they tend to cool things down. 

@Harvest

Have you seen this? A monster hail storm in and around Guadalajara, Mexico. In the middle of the summer. Up to 150 cm thick.

Still, for a lot of people, these kind of freak weather events need to happen and witnessed themselves to convince them that climate is changing for the worse. Ofcourse, this should have happened in Washington D.C.

190701-guadalajara-hail-storm-cs-115p_9e

54 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Have you seen this? A monster hail storm in and around Guadalajara, Mexico. In the middle of the summer. Up to 150 cm thick.

Yes, I I saw those. Completely insane. 

54 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Still, for a lot of people, these kind of freak weather events need to happen and witnessed themselves to convince them that climate is changing for the worse.

That's why I'm kind of weary of using "natural variation" as an argument in this particular topic. Sure, human beings didn't cause thunder, hailstorm. Even jet streams weakening and becoming more unstable. Hurricanes, droughts or wildfires. These are natural events and they've been ongoing since forever. They were here before us, they will be here when we are gone. But, the question should be, how much are we amplifying these events with our behavior? 

And these things happening simultaneously all over the globe. That's a trend. 

I remember one elderly guy, we were sitting in our swimming halls sauna  last fall and the guy started complaining about climate change hysteria. His argument was that, see winter is coming yet again, there's nothing to worry about, natural variation etc. It was the first day temperatures had barely gone below zero. Just a few days earlier we had measured  a record temperature for October (20,9C). After a record breaking, hot summer. 

Anyhow, another thing that worries me a bit, is in the tropics. Being following Mark Sudduth's updates on Youtube for quite a while all ready. The guy has a channel called Hurricane Track and seems to know a lot about hurricanes in general. Quite informative updates on hurricane season in the Atlantic. Lately he has been worried about the upcoming hurricane season. Larger scale factors are starting to point to the direction of an active hurricane season. 

We will see.

Climate science has suggested increased mean temperatures would lead to greater and more extreme events since at least the late '80s / early '90s. Hurricanes, thunder and hail storms, tornadoes, and larger jet stream oscillations are all completely predictable consequences.

Climate science is not perfect but these people are no fools. How many times does one need to be stung before realizing they are standing in a wasp's nest?

On 6/29/2019 at 8:29 AM, suomi usa said:

Tuska 3 days of dancing with the devil!   :diablo::diablo::diablo:   Nice line up especially with Marko playing.

Marko at Tuska

Lovely!

This made my night. The guy {Pagefire) breaks down musical styles, in this case Folk Punk. The format is a "tutorial" so you too can put together a hit! The song he comes up with is actually pretty good and very entertaining.

Most of his vids seem to be about different literature (could be interesting). There's one about how to make Grindcore. I'll have to check out what other styles he's taken on.

A new side to our summer................rain appears to be heading our way in short bursts, but in large quantities! Can't remember anymore what it looks or feels like, so I'll be heading to the supermarket to buy bottled mineral water in rubber boots, swimming trousers and wearing an umbrella. All stations covered................hhmmmmm....maybe I should go in my boat........

food-drink-water_quality-polluted_water-

Image result for drowning in mineral water cartoons

Image result for drowning in mineral water cartoons 

Image result for drowning in rain cartoons

joke-funny-photo-Umbrella-street.jpg

Funny-Umbrella-Pic-3.jpg

looks-like-that-umbrella-helps.jpg

x8kwg3Q.jpg

Anyone going to this????  Wish I was........

METALLICA

Hämeenlinna, Finland

Kantolan Tapahtumapuisto / July 16, 2019

Saw them for 2 shows a few years back in Copenhagen.... really great shows!   Really high energy!

Anyone willing to give a review post concert ?  Any magical moments or good stories ? Please share! :thankyou:

Anyone up for a little opera? Diana Damrau absolutely slaying "the Queen of the Night" aria (Der Hölle Rache, the second one). I love the staging here, her gothic look and her possessed menace.

"No mother! Of course, mother! As you say mother!"

Anyone think she'd sing metal? Maybe something with Devin Townsend... One commenter mentions a tee shirt with, "Don't make me use my Opera Voice!" I'd send her one! :dwarf:

General description: https://www.classicfm.com/composers/mozart/guides/queen-of-the-night-translated/

And the vid:

One of the more urgent matters in the world....the recognition battle for having the steepest street in the world......New Zealand vs Wales. I have a particular interest in this, because I have walked the one in New Zealand, whilst not knowing it was the steepest then. I just stayed in the neigbourhood with friends. I did think that it would be quite horrible to live there though.....you can forget cycling!  

Street in Wales wins record for world's steepest

Ffordd Pen Llech in Harlech beats renowned Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand

Steven Morris

Tue 16 Jul 2019 00.01 BSTLast modified on Tue 16 Jul 2019 16.38 BST

•  
  •  
  •  
Shares

Play Video
0:56
 Street in Wales wins record for world's steepest – video

A meandering street in north-west Wales that challenges the fittest of walkers and cyclists has been confirmed as the steepest in the world.

Ffordd Pen Llech in the historic town of Harlech – better known for its castle and rousing song, Men of Harlech – has been judged steeper than Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand.

Residents have long campaigned for the Guinness World Records title and are planning a huge party to celebrate the accolade.

It has been established that the street has a gradient of 37.5% at its steepest point, compared with Baldwin’s Street mere 35%.

Gwyn Headley, who led the town’s campaign to claim the title, said: “I feel utter relief and jubilation. I feel sorry for Baldwin Street and the New Zealanders, but steeper is steeper.”

Headley expressed regret at the timing of the announcement, following hard on the heels of New Zealand’s unfortunate loss in the Cricket World Cup final to England (and Wales – the governing body is the England and Wales cricket board) but said: “At least they have the Rugby World Cup ... for the moment.”

Winning the title was a lot tougher than the townsfolk had anticipated. “Guinness World Records was ultra-specific in the criteria demanded for it to qualify as the steepest street in the world, and although we were confident in meeting or exceeding nine of them, we were worried about the 10th,” said Headley.

The 10th criterion was that Guinness World Records required a blueprint of the street. The Harlech bid justified its absence because the street has been there since time immemorial, or at least 1,000 years, before there were such things as blueprints.

A surveyor called Myrddyn Phillips, an expert on mountain measuring, did much of the hard work. He used a combination of hi-tech (a satellite dish) and low-tech (chalk to mark out key points and bricks to keep a tripod steady) to take a series of measurements on the street. At one point a volunteer dropped a brick and was astonished to see it rolling down the hill.

To qualify for the title, the street or road also must be a thoroughfare that is commonly used by the public, who are able to drive vehicles across it. Ffordd Pen Llech is flanked by 300-year-old houses and an ancient route to the castle. Motorists do use it – and the unskilled often become unstuck.

Located in an otherwise quiet valley of the South Island city, Baldwin Street in Dunedin has attracted daredevils and adventure sports enthusiasts, prompting the local council to upgrade infrastructure and residents to launch cottage industries selling food, drinks and souvenirs.

Play Video
Play
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:00
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%
Fullscreen
Mute

Embed

Kiwi daredevils drift trike world’s steepest street

Some in New Zealand have appeared rattled, with one person suggesting it may be worth resurfacing Baldwin Street for the sake of the title, which has turned the neighbourhood into a tourist attraction.

Craig Glenday, the Guinness World Records editor-in-chief, said: “The local community in Harlech has shown sheer willpower in their quest to earn Ffordd Pen Llech the title. We know the anticipation has been building for quite some time now and I’m pleased to see the outcome has brought such joy to the residents.

“I hope Harlech enjoys the celebrations and that the new title brings lots of people to the beautiful town, to experience the world’s steepest street for themselves.”

Blocked high pressure forming over Northern Europe during weekend. Not surprisingly, since my vacation is about to end and I have to go to work next Tuesday. So, lots of sunshine and temperatures over 30 heading our way.  After this cool period with rather feisty thunder storms, it's nice change of pace. But, hopefully not too hot. 

I have to take a nostalgia trip. Lion King re-make is about to come to theaters and since the movie is my favorite cartoon, I must check this out. 

Anyways, now I have to go and play floorball a bit. It was my birthday and as usual, I ate too much cake with strawberries. It's just too delicious.

Best-Strawberry-Shortcake-C.jpg

@Harvest

Van harte gefeliciteerd!!

Indeed unbeattable combination.....cream, cake and strawberries.

But..........but you ate that cake all by yourself??????:swoon::swoon::swoon:

If so, my greatest admiration.............. 

18 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Van harte gefeliciteerd!!

Dank je wel.

18 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

But..........but you ate that cake all by yourself??????:swoon::swoon::swoon:

If so, my greatest admiration.............. 

Nope. Luckily there were others as well:D. But too much. 

Tomorrow more cakes. My better half's sister gave birth to a little girl a year and one day ago. So we share a birthday. Well, that's why I got to the gym. But, tomorrow, since it has been a beautiful, sunny and warm day, I shall allow couple of these to myself:

37733803_423746678136903_657923368230374

Dark, altbier-type beer from a nearby small brewery called olutpaja. Finland has improved a lot lately, when it comes to small brewery's.

This beer (Malmgård X-porter) was actually awarded as world's best strong porter in World Beer Awards. 

2840341.jpg?itok=Jzu7wsxY

Finally the combination of Finland and alcohol is starting to get some other form of recognition outside the usual "Finns drink a lot of it". Now we also brew quality beer and drink a lot of it:D