Jaime Lankyster

Poepmonsters Pub

1,593 posts in this topic

@hunebedbouwer:giggle:.

Yesterday 33.3. Of all the places you could imagine, Meltosjärvi Ylitornio. Near Rovaniemi in Lappland. Today is going to be hotter. The nearest official weather station I can find just surpassed 30 degrees. And it's only noon, hours of warming still left. The thermometer inside my house is at 28 degrees. 

Our other cat has found an unusual tactic to survive this heat. He sleeps under a blanket. As if it wasn't hot enough. I know cats like warmth, but that's kind of ridiculous. The other cat is sleeping in our basement and that I can understand, since it's cooler down there. Now that they sleeping during the day, they will probably running all over the place during night time:giggle:

From hot to cool. Helsinki recorded their all-time high temperatures, but in Ilomantsi, near eastern border, they recoded all time low July tempereture for North-Karelia area  (7,1). 

Days of cool north-western winds ensued as the low pressure system located near Kola  Peninsula was almost stationary and spinning northerly winds to Finland. This is now changing as the North Atlantic oscillation is beginning a positive phase and low pressures start coming across the Atlantic. How long this will last, it is a mystery. Some longer models I've seen all ready predict yet another block high for Scandinavia for September, but we will have to see. The longer models are always just probabilities. But IF that would happen, it would mean clear skies and beautiful, sunny, relatively warm weather for September. 

The drought is beginning the be an issue on the other hand. There are active forest fire-warnings all over southern Finland, it hasn't rained substantially in a month in most parts of southern and central Finland. We could use some rain all ready and that would have to be the longer period-type. Showers and thunderstorms don't recover the gound water supply any more and if that September high would happen, it's the second year in a row of way below average precipitation for Finland. Maybe Donald J. Trump would help us, since he seems to know everything about the "forest raking" we do?

vkdq4robrqus35qphfgh.jpg

July 2019 was the hottest month ever recorded over here. But summer has not been so insufferable hot as last year. Still August and September to come though.......maybe we will get 30+ in December....who knows....?

6a00d8341d417153ef01b8d1877bad970c-800wi

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

July 2019 was the hottest month ever recorded over here. But summer has not been so insufferable hot as last year. Still August and September to come though.......maybe we will get 30+ in December....who knows....?

Based on modeling the most usefull tool during August in Benelux-countries, UK and Scandinavia+Finland will be this:

black-firm-grip-rain-umbrellas-38124-64_

The NAO is turning positive. 

North Atlantic Oscillation drives our weather. Basically it means the difference of air pressure between the Icelandic low and Azores high. If this difference is very low, we talk about negative NAO. It favors the kind of weather we have had. Jet streams are weak and thus are the westerly winds. Blocked weather systems, meaning those "heatdomes" during summer and "Beasts from East" during winter are to be expected. 

Once the air pressure difference grows (we enter the positive phase of NAO), the Islandic low and Azores high both are stronger, this all changes. The westerlies become more stronger as the jetstreams become more stronger. Much more low pressure activity in the Atlantic and UK, Benelux, Scandinavia and most of central Europe will get much more rain. Mediterrian on the other hand will be dry. 

So, now postive phase of NAO is beginning to form. How long will it last, that's anyone's guess. But much more unsettled weather coming our way. 

Here's a usefull tool:

WXCharts

It updates the latest GFS-models a few times a day. And some other models as well. There is all kinds of stuff from expected rain amounts to air pressure to CAPE-index (means Convective Available Potential Energy - high CAPE ->thunderstorms to be expected) and so on.

Use it with caution, though. Ground rule is that 3-5 day forecast are pretty accurate, but after that things become much more uncertain. The 16 days out predicts only that large scale possibility. But, i'd say these are improving as well. You can't predict whether a storm will hit Eindhoven in mid-august or not, but you can at least forecast the large scale weather patterns at tha time. If it says rainy and stormy until later part of August, it will probably be the case. This model did predict the upcoming heatwave of July couple weeks in advance. 

overview_20190816_12_054.jpg

overview_20190816_12_126.jpg

Latest GFS-run for Sunday and Wednesday. We all need rain, but this is a bit overscaled. Normally these models even things out as we go (and there are still uncertainties if these storms happen at all). And I hope they do even out, because these amounts of extensive rain means flash flooding in Southern cities for sure. 

Hoping for the best, fearing the worst. 

@Figment-of-me

Thanks for informing me about that album. Honestly, I'm more interested in those stamps:giggle:!!

It's a pity that the songs are not former unreleased material with the great man´s voice himself. That would have exited me a lot more than what is basically another Cohen appreciation album, instigated by his son. But the best thing is ofcourse the fact, that it is never before released material, which is always good. A slight warning to myself is that unreleased material often has a reason to be unreleased. It's often a source of just money making with inferior material. So, I dearly hope that Leonard wrote the songs himself. Nice title as well as 'Dance me till the end of love' is one of my all time favourites for several reasons.

But I don't want to be too negative about as I had not expected it at all. And I still need to buy quite a few Cohen attribution-albums as there are so many. Since you're coming from the Cohen heartland it's way easier for you!:P Have you seen those massive wall murals of Cohen in Montreal yourself?

As a 'thank you', the most beautiful live edition of 'Dance' for me with Julie Christensen and Perla Batalla as background singers during the late '90's and early '90's tours. Perla looked like she was totally stoned at every single concert in that time! :music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zjLBWnZGTU

They say sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic. (Arthur C. Clarke, and embarrassingly I had to look up the ref.) So too for art! This goes to a certain cherished lead singer who's been redefining reality these last weeks.

Then also to a week full of personal wonder and an evolving relationship with music. How it reaches us as audience, as performer, as collaborators and what connections and meaning can pass between them. It's not just technical magic but interpersonal sorcery.

A new album. Sumerian glyphs. Hints and teases. Then here is a performance of music from thousands of years ago - an interpretation that brings the ancient past into the present.

What a crazy world. My crazy Sunday night epistle to the ether.

In some ways I'll be relieved when Beste Zangers is over. I'm enjoying it but it's been hard work! Maybe the Sunday epistles will dry up afterwards (which will relieve some of you!) but it helps to write so I'll be selfish and post anyway.

I was at a classical concert once. I could place the venue and date pretty well but I don't remember what was being performed. It was probably a symphony. I do know I was really absorbed in it.

At one moment I had this weird out-of-body experience. "I" was floating over the audience looking down on all of them, including "me". This wasn't "my" mind - it was like channeling some higher spirit or alien intelligence. Maybe it was a "spirit" invoked by the organic creature that was the orchestra (or what that was in my imagination). The feelings I picked up included a protective tenderness, surprise (maybe my own), and a bit of sadness or even pity. The thought that went with this was, "They're all just like children!"

Watching Floor perform, recognizing a spirit like that channeled through her, I wonder if she looks at us her audience in a similar way. She is a mortal human just like us, and I know she will have her own concerns, quirks and weaknesses - but she is amongst our best. I don't expect to be like her, but when I see that spirit it gives me the excuse to try and work harder, to be more open to and demand more from life. I do love her for that!

@Figment-of-me

Big warning.......don't try to watch the 11 seasons that 'Beste zangers' have done already to satisfy your needs:P. They are quite horrible! Only because of Floor and Henk Poort this season is watchable. Most participants come from a genre called 'smartlappen' (in German they are known as 'schlagers') in the Netherlands and they are simply awful........corny to a degree you stop eating and drinking altogether......just saying......:P

In my opinion (also this season), the singers are 3rd/4th/5th and worse of quality level on almost all fronts. Also, the best Dutch singers don't want to participate at all, because they think the level is so bad!:music: So, I was more than surprised that Floor took part. One thing she has achieved now and that is becoming famous in the Netherlands. If that was her goal, she certainly accomplished that big time.  We have so many better singers than these 'Beste zangers' throw at you/us. It's a tragedy.:cry::P  Also, this AVRO/TROS broadcasting company are known for their corny schlager type of shows. 

* Ofcourse you can have a most wonderful time when you have drunk way too much, lost all personal reserves and share the bleating full blast with your mates/friends/family................:drinks:   I'm glad you really enjoyed it nevertheless. I only followed it through the Floor-thread.

@hunebedbouwer The issue is specifically coping with Floor's performances. Little risk I'd try the past seasons. But I don't find the others bad - just not enough on their own to draw me in.

@Figment-of-me

We that same show in Finland, but it's called "Vain Elämää" (Such is Life or something in those lines). The first couple of seasons we pretty nice to watch, something refreshing instead of those endless talent-shows, but pretty much after that it turned into this professional sob-fest.People are always crying, no matter how bad the version is. And it's kind of a same deal here. The most eclectic group of musicians are avoiding the show, instead the same pop-stars are doing their second run (or third, I've lost count) on the show. An of course sobbing to the songs and praising each other like there is no tomorrow. 

I'm not too big on reality-shows, but I have to admit I have my guilty pleasure. AKA Finnish version of Dancing with the Stars. That's pretty much the only reality television I follow regularly. Season 12 started a couple of weeks ago and we have already lost former Finnish Parliament member Mikael Jungner, because he broke his leg during his first dance, while his professional instructor, Janica Saari, sprained her ankle. There has been numerous accidents like that during the shows run, Finnish news anchor Kirsi Alm-Siira fainted on the floor after her dance and so on. And Finnish actor, Timo Lavikainen, nearly dropped his teacher, Kia Lehmuskoski, to the floor during the closing spins of their Jive. Who says dancing isn't hard work:).

Yes, guilty pleasures!

This kind of show can launch or relaunch people's careers though. Tim was pretty candid that going solo has maybe been rough, for example. I don't know his work but the exposure can't hurt.

I'm not sure what Henk's motivation is or how big Rolf is internationally. We know Floor's story and clearly she's just fine without this. The rest seem fairly under the mainstream radar.

Floor maybe could have benefited in the early days of ReVamp when it seems to have been a struggle of pure willpower to make it work - or not, as she didn't want to be another Motown / R&B style pop singer. I've said she could have been bigger, and faster by going mainstream and I think this show proves it. Not that I think this is more than flirtation for her.

Obviously Nightwish was a brilliant chance for her but I do wonder what might have come of ReVamp. Tuomas' writing and especially arrangements are clearly on another level but what Floor was doing is a joy to watch.

@Harvest

Wow, the Finnish version sounds more like a survival of the fittest................wish so many injuries happened on these Dutch kind of shows, so at least we got rid off them for a while:giggle::giggle::giggle:!!!!!!

@Figment-of-me

You know that this forum has a 'Guilty Pleasures'-thread, do you?:sunny:

17 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

Wow, the Finnish version sounds more like a survival of the fittest................wish so many injuries happened on these Dutch kind of shows, so at least we got rid off them for a while:giggle::giggle::giggle:!!!!!!

These professional dance teachers may look nice, dress nice and dance nice, but they actually put these celebrities through a boot camp during the rehearsals. There have been professional athletes who say discovered muscles they hadn't used before, there have been people losing +10 kg's of body weight in just a few weeks. That's actually the thing that makes me enjoy the show. People with two left feet discovering a completely new talent. 

Just a bit of entertainment in the middle of this increasing darkness. 

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

You know that this forum has a 'Guilty Pleasures'-thread, do you?:sunny:

For real? But you know that American thing, "might tend to incriminate me..."? :scratchhead: