Jaime Lankyster

Poepmonsters Pub

1,713 posts in this topic

Meanwhile, it's stormy and cold in Denmark. I feel like we haven't had winter up til now. Most of the time, it was around 5 degrees celsisus. That is quite warm for december and january. It also has only snowed twice for like 20 minutes or so. Instead, it has rained a lot. In the last two weeks, it got cold and stormy. I can hear it wind tearing at our house in my room upstairs. It sounds quite violent. Parts of Denmark even experienced a flood because of the stormy weather. Some places it was more  than 150 cm higher than normal. The only positive thing about the weather in the last two weeks is that the sun comes out now and then. 

@Harvest

Wow, you're counting down to the First of May! That's still an awfully long time!!!! AND you got loads of snow! You Always wanted that! So, shoveling the white stuff IS fun, man! 

I'll post a accomodating song for you then.....:P (I'm thinking of you and your funny stubborn brother:D)

Myself, I was more thinking of April's Fool Day or even the Middle of March. I'm immediately a different man when I see these......my mindset goes straight into spring mood.

snowdrop-blog1.jpg

@The Name Of The Wind

Same here, but no storm incoming, I think.

But if that weather is going to continue into the first week of February, it's going to be very interesting for the World Championships Cyclocross in Bogense (in the North of Funen). Part of the track is along side the sea front. And last year at the World Cup, riders were getting big splashes of sea water over them during the race!!!! It was fun (for the tv watchers) to see it, but at near freezing point it must be hell.......

xxl.jpg

If it happens, it's gonna be epic!!!! You should go and watch it!!

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

Wow, you're counting down to the First of May! That's still an awfully long time!!!! AND you got loads of snow! You Always wanted that! So, shoveling the white stuff IS fun, man! 

I always enjoy counting days from 1st of January to 1st of May more than I enjoy counting days from 1st of October to Christmas. I might have mentioned this before, but god I hate that rasputitsa-time:D. Now the days are getting longer again and I'm all ready feeling a bit more energized. Training in gym is getting better, work is getting easier and so on. 

Shoveling snow is quite nice, you get some fresh air and of course working is always nice for your body. Though, once I had to clear the snow from the roof of my house, when it had snowed so much. That wasn't very fun (there always is that possibility of falling from your roof). And of course you have to clear that snow away as well. Rather hard duty, but at least I had that stubborn brother helping me. And of course that major hang over I had didn't help:D

@Harvest

I was thinking, that you 'possibly' could have had a lot more fun with your brother clearing your roof........

Phase 1 - putting a ladder against the roof

Phase 2 - take any kind of board up to the roof top

Phase 3 - let yourself go, race through the snow and plunge in the 3 meter thick snow mass on level ground

Phase 4 - repeat until you cleared your roof

That sounds like a lot more hilarious fun doing it..........even might race each other off the roof..........:dwarf:!!!! Also sounds like a proper Finnish way of doing things...........:P Kids in the neigbourhood would probably pay you to do it!

d531a813c55bfb298d104ba907e20e02--snowbo

968194092-backside-rodeo-hoch-ybrig-gap-

Or you could practice your ski jumping skills..........man, I really have got some briljant ideas! If only WE had snow!

F5FXHHDGINP190M.LARGE.jpg

giant+snow+ramp+2.jpg

20 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

If only WE had snow!

Take a quick flight to Finland this Thursday:

Dw89r_FWkAMji8a.jpg:large

This is only the first twelve hours snow-forecast from Finnish Meteorological Institutes Twitter from Wednesday-evening to Thursday-morning. Amounts of more than 20 cm are to be expected in most of Southern Finland. Not quite 1.11 2006, which was the worst blizzard I can recall (we had up to half a meters of snow in one night), but I'm guessing a messy day for traffic, our trains will be late for sure and plow-operators will have a long day at work.  

It's been freezing -10 here for the last 3 days and natural ice rinks have been popping up all over the country. Most of them are a bit lower laying oval pieces of meadows, designed to be watered by tractors at the first reasonable sign of good frost. Most of them have lights, so you can skate till 10-12 at night! It's proper outdoors and socializing fun for little money.

1472798_597230023683380_694504948_n.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKMTfLAWOOuTA5CvNJunw

What do we drink there when were thirsty?

* Kwast - lemon juice, hot water and sugar added

* Hot chocolate (with rum for adults)

What do we eat there when were hungry?

* Snert - thick filling peasoup

It's now snowing for the first time in 2019 and the second time this winter! I'm going outdoors to feel this white winter wonder stuff!!  

2 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

It's been freezing -10 here for the last 3 days and natural ice rinks have been popping up all over the country. Most of them are a bit lower laying oval pieces of meadows, designed to be watered by tractors at the first reasonable sign of good frost. Most of them have lights, so you can skate till 10-12 at night! It's proper outdoors and socializing fun for little money.

That's seems like a nice idea. Much better than small rinks, people have large place to skate in. Here the lakes have frozen, but there's also quite a bit of snow on the ice. Skiing is much easier than skating.

There was a lunar eclipse yesterday morning and luckily the weather was crystal clear and people got to observe and film it. A nice photo from Tampere with observation tower Näsinneula (Needle of Näsi in english):

80536_65228dc0bc671e540ef52f9105d6a042.j

Last night the temperature dropped to -28,9 in the nearby weather station. It's been quite chilly outside. This feels like a proper winter again. Sports stores are running out of skis, because there is now quite a bit of snow all around southern Finland and great skiing paths. 

And the future also looks nice for skiers, there is more snow on it's way. 

@Harvest

I sincerely hope you did chop enough wood to keep warm with those temperatures!! Did you do some ice fishing?

Yes, those natural ice rinks are wonderful and very safe!!!! The ice is only 5-15 cm thick, so very safe. Very important, because the little ones learn to skate on these rinks.

Canals, lakes, ponds and other waters are not safe after a few days of good frost, especially when it's running water! Each year, a number of people die/drown of stupidness, because they try out the ice when it's not thick enough. People do so underestimate what happens with your body when you crack through ice and end up in very cold water!   

10 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

I sincerely hope you did chop enough wood to keep warm with those temperatures!! Did you do some ice fishing?

There's nothing to it, actually. I find it much more chilling, when the temperatures are just below zero and the air is more humid. With these kind of temperatures the air is very dry, so it's actually quite cozy. But if when go outside, you of course should dress carefully. And of course you can always warm up your sauna. 

I haven't been ice fishing in quite a while. Used to do that a lot, when I was younger. And every winter I'm planning to go at least a few times, but then I forget about it. 

10 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Canals, lakes, ponds and other waters are not safe after a few days of good frost, especially when it's running water! Each year, a number of people die/drown of stupidness, because they try out the ice when it's not thick enough. People do so underestimate what happens with your body when you crack through ice and end up in very cold water!   

Yeah same here. There has been a good number of cold days, yes. But on the other hand there is also quite a bit of snow on top of the lake ice. And that snow is a great insulator. So the the ice can be very deceitful. I wouldn't go wondering around and especially the narrow spots between islands can be very dangerous, since that's where those currents often occur. Every year ice fishers etc. fall through the thin ice and even if you have good equipment with you (good clothes, ice picks and so on) there can still be that -20 temperature outside. There is very little time to get yourself to somewhere warm. 

@Harvest

Like you said, snow is a great insulator, The times that I went skiing in Austria it was wonderful. Heaps of snow, dry weather, but not really cold. Here in the NL on the other hand........at 2 degrees with a strong wind you get chilled to the bone! Even more if the air is humid.

We have had that wonderful lunar eclipse as well. We call it 'vollewolfbloedmaan'  (full-wolf-blood-moon). What's the Finnish name for it? I guess, that there are at least 10 vowels involved.:P

weerwolf.jpg

3 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

Like you said, snow is a great insulator, The times that I went skiing in Austria it was wonderful. Heaps of snow, dry weather, but not really cold. Here in the NL on the other hand........at 2 degrees with a strong wind you get chilled to the bone! Even more if the air is humid.

We have had that wonderful lunar eclipse as well. We call it 'vollewolfbloedmaan'  (full-wolf-blood-moon). What the Finnish name for it? I guess, that there are at least 10 vowels involved.:P

weerwolf.jpg

Let me see, full=täysi wolf=susi, blood=veri, moon=kuu. Would that be something like täysi sudenverenkuu. We do have a similar word, though - superverisusikuu. Superbloodwolfmoon:D

Yeah, it must be chilling in the Netherlands because of the humid Atlantic winds. Finland is more often under the dry Siberian air mass and that's not as chilly as that humid air. A colleague of mine was in Spain during winter time and told me it was far chillier there than in here. And very humid. In Finland modern houses have thick windows with 3 or 4 glasses in them, very thick layer of insulation in the walls, roof and under floor, thermal doors and underfloor heating, so they are very warm and well insulated. 

@Harvest

I'm a bit dissapointed with that.................:P

I thought it would be something like: fuuliarii wolifiaro bloodiuurii maanierii...............and then translated to proper Finnish! 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:53 PM, hunebedbouwer said:

@Harvest

I thought it would be something like: fuuliarii wolifiaro bloodiuurii maanierii...............and then translated to proper Finnish! 

That sounds like Latin:D.

20 years today from the official record for cold weather in Finland. -51,5 in Kittilä. There where problems like power cuts and there was some talks about evacuating people from those coldest parts, but generally speaking I don't recall that much chaos and mayhem. Another cold day in Finland during winter.

That is the second lowest temperature measured in Europe, btw. And not surprisingly, the coldest was measured in Sweden (2.2 1966, -52,6 C in Vuoggatjålme). So damn you Swedes, you just have to steal everything from us:diablo:.

Sounds like good news for the polar bears, not so much for human beings.

At the moment we are lagging 56,5 degrees behind you guys! Not that we mind.:P 

I fear, that we will see some crazy extreme weather scenes around the world in February, March.

31 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

At the moment we are lagging 56,5 degrees behind you guys! Not that we mind.:P 

Sorry, I was typing it wrong. What I mean is that the record was set 20 years ago today (28.1. - 99).

33 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

I fear, that we will see some crazy extreme weather scenes around the world in February, March.

Yeah. There is a major heatwave in Australia with temperatures of almost 50 degrees. That amount of snow in the Alps, Switzerland, southern Germany and Austria will eventually melt. And I fear that means major flooding once it starts to melt. 

Yes, I ordered these already on FLOOD.com:  :D

l_415387.jpg

blauwe-regenlaarzen-met-kabouters-nieuw.

camping-gele-opblaas-rubber-eend-122-cm-

You better be prepared for very wet circumstances! And yes, I can swim.

It's chilly, windy and rainy here. The worst of all combined! I'll chuck some more wood on the fire that will burn my house..........

Amidst all sad, bad and horrible news that's happening around the world, a nice story of the natural kind. I'll explain....

Zeeland is the southwestern province in the Netherlands. It is basically formed by being the delta for the big rivers Rhine, Waal, Maas and Schelde.....see image.

zeeland.jpg

Till 1953, all the river arms flowed unprotected into the North Sea. Being unprotected, it meant also massive and disastrous storms, floods and breaking of dykes with lots of deaths. This also happened in 1953, when a huge storm caused flooding of basically the whole province and also parts of neigbouring areas. The horrible death toll was 1850. Enough was enough everyone said, so a plan was made, the famous Deltaplan of water defence works. Which would close all see arms with massive dykes and dams, apart from the Westerschelde, which is the entrance to the Belgian port of Antwerpen and the same for the entrance of Rotterdam. So, we got building........and finished the most structures.

But then it was the turn of the Oosterschelde, by far the biggest project, to be protected and closed off. We are speaking end of the 60's now. At that time environment movements started to make their appearances and a lot of protests went on, because saltwater would become sweet water and all the fisheries (including the very important business of oysters, mussels and lobsters) would disappear, not to mention the whole natural seawater world. Instead they went for the Oosterscheldekering, the biggest water defence structure in the world. See image. It's enormous!!!

20130903_oosterscheldede-560x373.jpg

It still provided the Oosterschelde with seawater, tides. When possible damaging storms appear, they can close the whole see arm by letting huge steel doors down. It has been the best possible solution as it turned out. All the fisheries remained and the tides provided the Oosterschelde with clear water, so it also developed itself as a succesful diving spot. It also became the water for other animals and this is where the good news comes from.

Oosterschelde image.

kaartjeouwerkerk2.jpg

Before 1953 there were always seals an porpoises in Zeeland. But all these dammed see arms in the delta made it impossible to continue. And it was also sweet water ofcourse. But now those 2 animals (and many other) have found a way to pass those safety gates and live in the Oosterschelde. First of all as a kind of guests, but now it has become clear that at least 18 porpoises made the Oosterschelde their home and don't venture back to the North Sea. Excellent news!!

Porpoises are the smallest existing Dolphins and live in the North Sea and other parts of the Northern Atlantic Ocean. They look really cute, but are very prone to diseases and environmental changes. A lot of them wash up on our beaches. Some can be rescued, most die.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h

So, the news that now a bunch of these lovely animals made the Oosterschelde their permanent home is WONDERFUL.:dwarf: It says a lot about the quality of the water. Amongst all the other creatures that fool around there are these:

ill-gewone-zeehond-2010-10sw.jpg

Zeekat_Sepia%20officinalis_Linda%20Raaph

kreeft.jpg

79452.w353.r353-199.c0ddd20.jpg

Oosterschelde-specialty_REN_0937-730x413

By this time I've stopped questioning anything. I just grab my snow shovel and go to work. There's a word in German language to describe this weather. And it's starts with S, but isn't Sauerkraut.

I'd rather shovel snow than S..............

I'd rather eat snow than Sauerkraut.........

Just saying.......it's all relative!:P  

First signs of spring coming up next week. The winter has been rather snowy, actually it started snowing after new year and never stopped until it started pouring every form of rain imaginable a couple of days ago. Snow is now going fast and there's still a lot of it left. The plow equipment has been in heavy use for sure this winter. 

But now the forecast is changing. High pressure is forming over northern Europe and it might well last for weeks. There are even chances of Foehn wind-phenomenon happening next weekend. It happens when the moist air coming from Atlantic drops it's rain on windward slopes of the Scandinavian mountains. Once that now dry air moves to the leeward slopes of the mountains the air warms rapidly, producing a warm wind known as Foehn. Temperatures in Sweden and western Finland might well rise above 5 degrees and that warm wind combined with sunshine melts snow rapidly. 

So first signs of upcoming spring in the air, even though now when you look outside you might not believe it. 

@Harvest

I do enjoy your weather reports and moaning, Harvest.

You are hereby installed as the official weather man of the Nightwish Forum!!!  

We expect an extended weather report of Finland from you at 20.00 every Friday, snow or no snow. Also no excuses when it hails, storms, freezes, rains or shines!

Your basis salary will be 2356 markka's for each report with added bonuses in the case of emergency reports. You can collect that money every Friday after 20.15 at the House of Joulupukki, somewhere near Rovaniemi. Proper clothing will be delivered.   

57 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

You are hereby installed as the official weather man of the Nightwish Forum!!!  

And I thought I was all ready the official Ice Hockey and Loudness War-dude:D.

Friday 20.00 sharp, OK. Ice Hockey and Loudness War-reports at another time, then.

Hmm, moaning about the noise levels in modern music, check. Moaning about the weather, check. Moaning about sports, check. I'm really turning into this guy:

56792fe20ff9388d7c022ee6758405e6.jpg

On my way home from the university, I saw the first flowers coming up. I interpret that as the first sign that spring is on the way. It's kind of unexpected, but then again the weather in Denmark is kind of unpredictable. 

It's been really nice today, but also windy. Riding my bike home wasn't fun, despite the sun. I had the wind coming in my direction all the way from the university until I was home.  That's 8 kilometres. The wind was really strong sometimes too. I'm used to it by now, but I still find it annoying. I hope it won't be so windy when I have to go the university on Wednesday. 

On a side, the Danish weather forecast dmi.dk has recently redesigned its webpage and the new design is so bad. It doesn't work well on computer and not on smartphone either. The information is reduced now and takes up a lot of space. I preferred the old design. It was old fashioned, but it worked so well. Thankfully, there is an app for my smartphone that still uses the old design.

9 hours ago, The Name Of The Wind said:

On a side, the Danish weather forecast dmi.dk has recently redesigned its webpage and the new design is so bad. It doesn't work well on computer and not on smartphone either. The information is reduced now and takes up a lot of space. I preferred the old design. It was old fashioned, but it worked so well. Thankfully, there is an app for my smartphone that still uses the old design.

It would be nice if these people would actually improve their webpages when they update the design. I just hope they don't thrash FMI.Fi. It works really well and it is easy to use. Information is quite easy to get and there's also historical information if you want to make comparisons. 

These dudettes woke up from their winter hibernation roughly three weeks ahead of the schedule in Korkeasaari zoo. I don't know if they know something that we don't know, but this happened roughly at the same time the weather forecast started predicting early spring. 

Nice outdoor days coming up. The snow snow melted fast, but there's still plenty of it left. Where going going to have nice, sunny days and it's going to be rather warm for February.