HooPee

Anette Olzon

843 posts in this topic

Ok, another 100 pages to go. Now we're gonna put some tiny rules for this topic.

Most important: Keep it ON topic. This topic is about her as a singer/musician.

Talking about her personal life? Ok, but please in an appropriate manner.

Debating her very personal issues? Sorry but not inside this topic. Ask her directly. She has a blog and is answering questions. Please go there if you’re looking for answers.

You wanna go for each other inside this topic? There’s no reason to do so. Anything bothers you, use the report function. Moderators will take care.

If posts getting out of line Moderators are advised to delete these posts without any warning and without comment.

It’s not that we don’t allow heated debates/discussions but the last AO topic got a little bit carried away. Please show some respect to her as an Artist. You can’t do that? Then don’t post here.

Old topic: http://www.nightwish.../page__st__2475

Well she's using it in the blog so I thought it's better use it here too.

yeah, there was a post on her blog a while ago, she was like "What name to chose, what to do, what to do?...", and obviously she decided to stick with her "stage name", and it's good that it got corrected here as well

In her present status Anette wont be able to do much for her solo career and that is quite understandable given that the baby is -and should be- her first priority. I would give her a couple of years in order for the baby to grow up a bit, settle family issues and consider carefully the steps she is going to do for her solo project. By that time she will be 42 which is not a bad age but should however have a really good plan on how to persue her dream in the music business.

I agree with all that have been stated as prerequisites for her career to grow. First of all a good songwriter will help her establish the basis for interesting music and an audience that will be willing to follow her. I ' ve listened to both songs she wrote and I found "Watching me from Afar" good and "Like a Show Inside my Head" a bit generic. An appropriate songwriter could help a lot and bring a boost in her skills and sound. Even if it were an album full of ballads and mid-tempo songs I dont think there would be problem, as long as young girls exist there are really not enough ballads in this world!

She definately also needs a stylist. Although Imho her everyday outfits are fine, on stage her selections so far have been ....lets put it in a polite way...tasteless. Especially in the pop scene a good appearance matters a lot so its a factor of importance. By the way she is already very beautiful so its not that she has to try that much.

Furthermore she will need a good promoting company. One that will actually bother to update her official website which should be other than her personal blog. Therefore people interested in her music will get the info they want and people interested in her daily life will bubble about it in her blog. Its vital that these two will be separate.

And last but not least, I hope that in 2 years time she will have overcome the rage and bitternes she has and will have the chance to think things through and from a different perspective. Statements like "Nightwish songs belong to them and their new singer" are not wise and certainly not to her benefit taking into account that she became known due to Nightwish. Were I in her shoes, I would definately find a room for "Meadows of Heaven" in her setlist, especially since its one of her strong performances. Nightwish have certain songs that could suit perfectly well with her repertoire and fans would like to listen once more from her. She may not be able to appeal to metal oriented fans of Nightwish but I am quite positive that there are many fans of Nightwish who listen to other genres as well and would be curious and willing to listen to her solo work.

I believe that the future will be quite fruitful for Anette and in the end she will not bear grudges, especially when she starts her own carreer and realises what it takes to run a band, touring and making a name in the music industry while the responsibility is mostly if not entirely up to you.

Statements like "Nightwish songs belong to them and their new singer" are not wise

I understand her bitterness in saying that but not many people paid attention to this, because it was like saying that also old songs belonged to NW and Tarja, but as far as I remember any Anette's fan's argument against people who said that Anette should not song old songs (not because they're Tarja's, but because they felt she wasn't giving them justice) was that "the songs belong to NW so shut up you haterz". :P

It would be so much better to also hire a good manager that will restrain her... Ok, she's honest and whatever, but statements like that don't help her.

I don't see anything bitter in this statement, I think Anette just tries to be correct, it's like she's saying she will rely on her own talent and her own songs, and won't exploit Nightwish in this regard - to build a solo career using their songs. Why should be there bitterness in everything, and even when someone tries to do something wright, it comes out wrong. I also think that there's nothing wrong if she eventually sings Nightwish songs if she has her own concerts in the future, but it's entirely up to her.

^I meant the bitterness behind the statement, not the statement itself ;) It just shows some kind of sadness, you know.

This sentence doesn't sound neither bitterly nor sad.

it simply says that NW songs are songs to be sung by NW singer (meant songs from all eras).

^Then unwillingly she gave a hit "under the belt" to Tarja :D

And to every NW tribute band out there. :P

It depends. Anette didn't write anything. She was hired to give voice to someone else's music. It is no longer her job to sing those songs, as they belong to Nightwish (or more specifically any project led by Tuomas). I would probably feel the same way. Whether I would follow through with it is another issue. It is a risky move for her to not only launch a solo career that's got nothing to do with rock or metal and on top of that not even sing any of the songs that people associate with her. I fully understand why Tarja still performs songs like Nemo. I think her solo material is good enough to stand on its own, but she will sadly not be able to shake off the people who still think of her as the ex-singer of Nightwish singing her own songs as opposed to Tarja the solo artist and still have the same success.

^There are still many people that want to listen to Anette saying some very distinct songs, like Scaretale, Slow Love Slow etc :) As Tarja, she could respect that. Of course I don't mean that if she does not, that shows lack of respect, it'll just be a very pleasant surprise.

I know, but I think that from an artistic point of view, it makes more sense to leave those songs in the past as they're not technically hers. The album versions are still there for all of us to enjoy and having seen Nightwish live with Anette in the band is now something special, just like having seem them with Tarja is, that not everyone can say that they have done.

I was not able to see NW with Anette, so I wouldn't mind hearing her singing 'Eva' or 'Meadows of Heaven' (for me it is by far her best performance on DPP) & 'Slow Love Slow' with a small orchestra like that event thing in Sweden back in 2009. Even an acoustic version of 'Walking in the Air' would be welcome since it suited her voice & was very emotional. Troy's addition was suburb too.

Found it!!!

[media]

[/media] :)

Actually if the sentence was "The NW songs belong to them" and ended there I would more or less believe that there are no harsh feelings, however she goes on "...and their new singer". I think its rather clear that there is bitternes in this. Anyway agreeing with me or not regarding her feelings my point wasnt that. I believe there is a reason why the old songs we call them "Tarja's songs", the DPP & Irum "Anette's songs" and most probably if the next album features Floor it will be "Floor's songs" and all that while they are all Tuomas songs! But the sense of it is that the voice that sung them also stigmatised those songs. I ve expressed that it would be good for Anettes career to add a couple of NW songs just because it would be a good move. There are fans -like Nicky- who would like to listen to those in a live show, after all she was acknowledged with those songs. Now if she doesnt want to do this for moral reasons its fine, however ethics and marketing dont always go together and we are talking about a solo career. Tarja on the other hand has utilised -and still does- her time with NW. Has anyone accused her of making profit over NW? I havent seen such comment. By the way her moves with her band have been quite smart so far and thus managed to be so succesfull as she is.

Tarja on the other hand has utilised -and still does- her time with NW. Has anyone accused her of making profit over NW? I havent seen such comment.

Actually yes. People still say "she makes money out of NW LOL", when only a 3-4 songs she sings(or used to) where of NW, and most of them being covers of other songs NW did, so technically not Tuomas' songs. I mean honestly, I think she's just doing it because her fans want her to.

Like with Anette, some people do want to listen to them live, since well Floor doesn't sing them exactly like Anette did, so it's the only chance to listen to them they way they are supposed to be heard. But NW songs are also metal, and she clearly has no interest in keeping touch with this genre.

edit.LOL I just saw I have the same Dior Vernis with Anette :D I recall it's pretty expensive though, something like 23 euros a bottle :mda:

Actually yes. People still say "she makes money out of NW LOL", when only a 3-4 songs she sings(or used to) where of NW, and most of them being covers of other songs NW did, so technically not Tuomas' songs. I mean honestly, I think she's just doing it because her fans want her to.

I didnt know that, but the accusers I dont think they are her fans anyway.

Well 'Eva" for example isnt something that couldnt be sung by a non metal artist. I was reffering to such kind of songs and NW got few.

^But everyone wants to hear Scaretale, such a signature song from her, but I don't see that happening :unsure:

I don't think you should pay too much attention to the way she word things, because I really don't think she does that herself.

I like all the songs of the Imaginaerum album. I have liked all the Imaginaerum songs live except for Anette´s Scaretale. Marco is doing his part well as a crazy circus director also live, but I do not like the way Anette changed her wicked and scary witch´s role to a funny witch´s role live. The lyrics are about childhood fears, IMHO there is too much fun at the expense of horror in Anette´s live presentation. I am so happy Floor is more faithful to the lyrics of Scaretale and has restored the nightmarish atmosphere of the song.

I do not understand Anette´s gesture when she sings (laughing harpies) "with their talons ripping". She sways her hand on her buttocks as if the lyrics were, e.g. "with their tails whipping". A reasonable gesture at that point would be showing one´s hand with long artificial nails, making the hand look like a vulture foot and then tearing the air with imaginary claws (Floor actually does this way). Perhaps one could also show tearing of one´s own throat or chest with the imaginary claws (but no tearing of one´s buttocks).

The harpies are originally from the Greek mythology. They were monstrous, predatory birds with a female head.

That one puzzled me for a while too...the hand gesture on her butt, didn't know did she farted and is trying to disperse the fumes..i don't think she understood the lyrics that well. And not just in scaretale. often times i had a feeling with her that she doesnt really know what she is singing about, cause she was struggling with the notes too much.