HooPee

Anette Olzon

851 posts in this topic

Blah, it's too bad they dropped this. I just watched Pain's Follow me, and I think that Anette will manage very well not only in the soft ballads, but her voice can be very rockish as well. I hope she'll have more energetic songs, cause I think they'll suit her very well, and also too many ballads can be awfully boring.

I absolutely agree with you. Also she can ask Peter Tagtgren to write some songs for her.

I too loved her performances of Come Cover Me. Especially the way she sang the last part. I think her voice is a better fit for the lyrics than Tarja (although her vocals were technically better, they're just too melancholic).

That's exactly why I liked Tarja's version, because it was melancholical. For me, Nw songs screamed melancholy and sadness in a lot of cases and I really don't agree with the statement that Anette is good at conveying sadness. She's good at being theatrical as she proved in Scaretale (am I the only one who never found the song horror-like? I always thought she's supposed to represent the witch in child stories who may be scary for the children, but when you look at it from a grown-up point of view, she's actually cartoonishly wicked. The circus-like theme in the middle doesn't help with making the song truly scary either, so from that point of view I think Anette performs it really well live), she's good at singing softly and gently as she proved in Walking in the air or The crow, the owl and the dove, she's good at singing with a raspy rockish voice like she did in her collaborations with other artists, but to me she never sent any sadness or melancholy or aggressiveness, dramatism or any of the things that represented old Nw for me.

I didn't like Come cover me either, she did seem to not understand what she was singing about. Not in the sense that she was stupid and couldn't understand the lyrics, of course, but that she didn't really seem to be on the same page with Tuomas in terms of what that song was meant to convey. Words are almost meaningless without an input from the "author", so they can communicate a lot of things depending on the tone and gestures. Same with song lyrics, Scaretale can be truly scary or fun-scary depending on how Anette sings and Come cover me can be more positive or more bitter-sweet depending on who sings it. I personally connect more to the bitter-sweet version, maybe because it's the first I've heard and maybe because I think sadder songs are more profound and touching then happy songs (happier songs are usually a bit shallow).

I think they would have just asked Elize Ryd if such was the case :P . She managed to fill in with a few minutes notice, how about that :P

I wouldn't exactly say she "managed". She did... something. The best she could under the circumstances, but definitely not a an acceptable level for what's normally expected at a show.

I wouldn't exactly say she "managed". She did... something. The best she could under the circumstances, but definitely not a an acceptable level for what's normally expected at a show.

I know, and I agree, but it was in regard to the time frame thing.

I was thinking today about possible directions of Anette as a solo artist, and one of the things I admire about her, is that she seems pretty open minded about music in general, and I'm thinking that she could pull very interesting stuff, in the field of more rockish sound, but also in the field of more electronic or even combined style. For example I would love to see her in a song like Sharon's In and Out of Love, I think Anette's voice and personal style can be very fitting. I really hope that she'll go further in her effort, and try to find good songwriters, and won't rely on the easy way out - some mediocre songs, just to have a solo album, and to rely on her previous glory as a NW singer. I really think she has the potential, and I hope the opportunity to do something really interesting. And yeah, I'm begging for a collaboration with Peter Tagtgren.

Someone criticised Anette's performance on the 70000 tons of metal cruise and posted a link. I didn't find anything wrong with it. She had this weird semi-headbanging going on and I think it looked definitely unique and crazy and funny (in a good way). :D That's how I want to remember her in Nightwish: a bit out of the place Duracell Bunny with her own thing going on.

She certainly has a great voice when she's singing in her comfort zone but I don't know how much room there is for her to really shine. I hope she get's good song writers to help her out and maybe a producer with a vision and then of course some luck. If it's just some mediocre pop she might as well start a ABBA cover band. :P

I know, and I agree, but it was in regard to the time frame thing.

Yeah, but there is difference knowing you will be doing something in 2 months from now VS expecting you will be doing something in 2 months from now and then finding out you'll have to do it in two days. If you know what I mean.

EDIT: there is a similar discussion on the "Parting" thread so let's argue there if necessary. :)

^Me too. I am eager to hear what her album will sound like, and hopefully she will get it together in the near future. I don't know how much waiting my attention span can take ;-)

The song is actually nice, although I think they should add more layers or effects to her voice, this way it sounds too nasal.

I like it more and more. I think it's the best from all the three songs on the demo. I hope she'll continue in this style, also I like the voice very much, though Baki might be right. The two songs she sang on the whatever concert while back were blah, so I hope she'll ditch them. But this now sounds very promising and I'm looking for moar

I love her voice in Falling! That song just screams to be produced by Tägtgren. The more I listen to this song, the more I like it. It seems she has changed her mind about staying away from rock/metal? I think this is the perfect volume of musical "hardness" for her voice.

I like it more and more. I think it's the best from all the three songs on the demo. I hope she'll continue in this style, also I like the voice very much, though Baki might be right. The two songs she sang on the whatever concert while back were blah, so I hope she'll ditch them. But this now sounds very promising and I'm looking for moar

I think mixed together on an album, could make for a neat listening experience. Throw a few ballads in, ya know?

Yes, of course it will be nice, moreover Anette's voice is very suited for ballads. But good ballads, not songs like the ones she sang on that concert, those were way too repetitive, as far as I remember. And I hope she will continue to experiment.

I bet she could rework those. As I recall, those were written very quickly, and I wonder if they were repetative simply to fill the time she needed to perform. Nothing wrong with them, just needed more varity to them I think. Maybe a piano "solo." Otherwise, I think she did very well given the time constraints.

I really like the demo. I think she's smart and creative enough to realize that this type of song works really well for her and do more like it.

I really like Falling ! Can't wait to listen the rest of the song. She really has potential to move on with a solo carrer!

I enjoyed listening to Falling too. It's not the best song ever and not the kind of stuff I usually listen to but it's a nice song anyway and I really like her singing there.

Now, I haven't really read her blog anymore and I will keep that way. I kind of let go of the anger I had on her when I stopped hearing from her personal life. I came to the conclusion I really don't have a need to know anything from her except her singing. Plus who knows how she's in real life so no need for getting upset on her based on her writings.

Now I manage to admire Anette as a singer again and I really am looking forward her solo career and I want to keep that way. So no more information of her personal life for me and everything will be fine :)

The Falling demo was nice. Great to hear some electric guitars again. However, the tempo is a bit slow. It would be great if she changed the bpm.

She's falling.... down? As opposed to falling.... up? Meh, it's a nice song and her voiced altered between "too shrilly" and "hmmm, nice one, Anette", but overall it's making me rather interested in what she's going to do next.

I don't think people can fall ...up. I think they can either fall down, or fall over. Oooh, or fall into something. Or fall asleep.

Of course, Tarja can fall awake.