LFMAC

Anette Olsson

2,459 posts in this topic

Anette is the singer of Nightwish (breaking news!) so let's have a place where we can discuss everything that has to do with her. :)

She also has a blog http://anette-olzon.blogspot.com/ that she updates almost daily. So, what do you think about her?

I can honestly say that she really outdid herself on 'Imaginaerum' just like Marco said in one of the latest interviews 'she shines on this album' her singing sounds so relaxed and I was gobsmacked about the many, many styles she pulls off on this album.

A diamant in the rough at first but finally polished to be a true gem. So much emotion in her voice. Love it!

(null)

I can honestly say that she really outdid herself on 'Imaginaerum' just like Marco said in one of the latest interviews 'she shines on this album' her singing sounds so relaxed and I was gobsmacked about the many, many styles she pulls off on this album.

A diamant in the rough at first but finally polished to be a true gem. So much emotion in her voice. Love it!

(null)

I second this! :)

Indeed. In terms of vocal delivery, Dark Passion Play was her Century Child, while Imaginaerum is her Oceanborn. It's probably too soon to be talking about their next album, but I really feel that she's got plenty of more tricks up her sleeve! And we better get an official live recording of an entire this concert this time around!

Her vocals are ok, she isnt a poweful singer (like Floor Jansen or Tarja, Manda, Helena) , i welcomed her to Nightwish tho ' when everyone was against her :)

You can see that she improves her singing with each passing year, and I think she really did a fantastic job in this new album, especially in the song "Song of myself", these lyrics were perfect: "The 1st thing I ever heard was a wandering men telling his story, it was you the grass under my bear feet , the campfire in the dead of the night, the heavenly black of sky and sea". She fits perfectly in the band and I hope she'll just continue to be awesome! :D

I wouldn't say that Tarja's vocals were powerful as far as her last two albums with Nightwish are concerned. Tuomas stopped making good use of her operatic voice after Wishmaster. I also cannot imagine Tarja singing Scaretale or Slow, Love, Slow for the same reason I cannot imagine Anette pulling of Stargazers or Phantom of the Opera. When one door closes, another one opens.

I remember when Anette was first announced as the new lead singer, and I was a bit skeptical at first, not knowing how she sounded. Then I actually heard her, and my immediate thought was "Wow...she could really go somewhere with time." And now that we've seen (heard?) more facets of her vocal talents in Imaginaerum, I really think it's safe to say they made a good choice with her. I'm with others here in that I could never see Tarja doing anything like Scaretale or Slow, Love, Slow; in a way, it seems that Anette's particular talents have allowed the band to try new things and explore areas they may not have otherwise been able to successfully attempt with an operatic-style voice.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Tarja too, but she and Anette can't even be compared, in my opinion. Both of them have brought something different and unique to Nightwish and, like all the other members of the band, have helped make it the success it is now.

I love the progress she did from DPP to Imaginaerum. I was already really fond of her efforts on the previous album, but now she definitely seems much more confident and seems to have developed a much stronger musical and vocal personality. She's now able to give the songs a very personal twist, make them sound flowing and very well "incorporated" within the album and within her own voice. She also has a very recognizable voice already, but on the other hand, she's able to use it in very diverse ways.

When it comes to "power", I think she has a very powerful voice in terms of interpretation and originality, maybe not as much when it comes to the anatomic side of it. Which is much less important imo, but yeah :P

What about her featuring with pain? Wont post no links but there´s youtube. Sorry, forgot Rasmus.

I was very sceptical in the beginning. I remember the release of Eva... Maaan I was like "omg this is the end of Nightwish!". Then the first single came, Amaranth... Again I did not really like it, but not only vocally, also music-wise. Luckily DPP in it's whole was fine, she has a good voice and the songs sound allright. But with for example Escapist she's really good. Now also after hearing Storytime and samples (yes, I refuse to listen to Imaginaerum until it arrives by mail) she sounds great! She's definately evolving and well let's be honest, it wasn't easy for her to integrate. An album not made for her voice, a crowd still yearning out for Tarja, ... You all know the history. I think she now finally can give it the best she got! She can't sing as high as maybe other female fronted singers, but she has quite a powerful voice, which gives an extra touch to the music ;)

When i started listen to Nightwish, the first album was Once. And i very liked it. Than i began to listen Century Child, WIshmaster, etc. And the last album was Dark Passion Play. My friend told me that hey, don't listen it, the new singer isn't ok, but i listened this album. And it was so amazing! I liked Anette from the first notes, from the first song. She is amazing, very sweet voice.

Now also after hearing Storytime and samples (yes, I refuse to listen to Imaginaerum until it arrives by mail) she sounds great!

Storytime is probably her weakest vocal performance on the album, along with Last Ride of the Day (even though she still sounds good to me in those). You are going to be blow away by her sexy vocals in Slow, Love, Slow and you'd be forgiven for thinking it wasn't even her voice singing in Scaretale. Her voice is as diverse as the music on the album, something she didn't get to show on Dark Passion Play.

Well... I wasn't a big fan of her voice first but then I saw Nightwish live and that changed my mind about Anette. She has really improved through the years and she is showing that on Imaginaerum.

What I'm most impressed by from Anette on Imaginærum is the many different colors or perhaps personalities there is in her voice on that album - the scary witch on Scaretale, the sexy one in SLS or the fragile, emotional as well as strong and rockier vocals elsewhere. As I listened to the album, I couldn't help but wonder how she will do it all live - if she can find all those voices live, I will be extremely impressed.

Storytime is probably her weakest vocal performance on the album, along with Last Ride of the Day (even though she still sounds good to me in those). You are going to be blow away by her sexy vocals in Slow, Love, Slow and you'd be forgiven for thinking it wasn't even her voice singing in Scaretale. Her voice is as diverse as the music on the album, something she didn't get to show on Dark Passion Play.

Yeah I know Magnus! From the samples alone I already get that impression. It's very diverse, most probably since this time she was active during the entire recordings, she's no longer just 'a voice put on the music which was already finished' in sort of speech. Can't wait ^^

She has improved a lot! In Imaginaerum Anette is not only singing - she is acting. In every song you can imagine her in different role - that's something Tarja never could do, no metter how trained voice she has.

In fact - the only other singer, who made this is Floor Jansen in Invisible Circles ( better than Anette of course. Floor is not from this world :D )

"Song of Myself" is quickly turning into one of my favourites because of Anette's vocals. I know nothing about head/chest/whatever voice or colour or anything so I'll just say that it feels so... rocky. :D It reminds me of the first time I heard her "Dark Chest of Wonders" and "oPEN THE CHEST ONCE MORE" felt less like words and more like someone was punching me in the stomach. In a good way. :P Lovelovelove :D

I agree. She does have a nice rock voice. It's powerful without being over the top. Much better than the chipmunk vocals in Storytime and Last Ride of the Day (which is still decent for studio recordings, just not as impressive). By the way, is it just me or does Turn Loose the Mermaids totally sound like it could have been one of her own songs (like Invincible)?

Hm, hm.

I like Anette very, very much. Both as a singer and human being.

The first song I've listened from DDP was Eva, song that made a lasting impression on me. It's still one of my faves from that album, and in '07 I was so very fond of it, I actually got to sing it in one of my school events.

What I like the most about Anette's voice is this softness and wonderful vibrato she has in ballads, it always calms me and makes me feel at home.

Also, I read her blog since day one, so I grew to appreciate her more and more by lecturing her posts and rants on various subjects smile.png

I must say that I am really tired of hearing of how Anette has improved her vocal performance.

Okay I get it when we are talking about her live vocal ‘cause there is a really big difference from 2007 to 2009,

though I think some songs were better in 2007/8 than 2009 when her voice got really high.

And yes I understand that people have different tastes.

But people think about it, when she did DDP everything but her vocals were already finished.

It wasn’t like she could say to Toumas “hey lets try this out or can we change the key”.

On the other hand I really like DDP and Anette’s vocals.

I can’t really hear the screechyness and the “it sounds like a dead cat” sounds

that some have described her voices as. Maybe it’s ‘cause I listen to every kind of metal,

and find that she has a really good metal voice.

As for Imaginaerum I think it just shows Nightwish as a more versatile band,

and I think it’s really ‘cause of Anette that they can pull it off.

"Song of Myself" is quickly turning into one of my favourites because of Anette's vocals. I know nothing about head/chest/whatever voice or colour or anything so I'll just say that it feels so... rocky. :D It reminds me of the first time I heard her "Dark Chest of Wonders" and "oPEN THE CHEST ONCE MORE" felt less like words and more like someone was punching me in the stomach. In a good way. tongue.png Lovelovelove :D

Really? Her vocals on that song are like... my least favourite on the entire album. I can't really figure out why, but they just feel wrong to me. :(

Slow Love Slow however... :wub: I wish they'd let her more of that amazing vocalizing stuff at the end, it's so good! I generally felt that she should've been given more chances to show off her voice - she has a couple great moments but there could've been so much more!