MyChildWish

Sirenia

352 posts in this topic

sirenia.png?x=787Sirenia-sirenia-9140406-532-800.jpg

Sirenia is a gothic metal band from Stavanger, Norway which incorporates a mixture of gothic metal and symphonic metal, as well as extreme metal and death metal elements. The lyrics, written by Morten Veland, tell a loose conceptual story that began at Widow's Weeds, while he was still a member of Tristania.

The band uses melodic instrumentals, synthesizers, and distorted guitars with female vocals, male death vocals, clean male vocals, a choir and violins. The lyrics are concerned with human existence, emotion, and mental states.

Sirenia came together in early 2001, when Morten parted ways with his former band Tristania due to musical disagreements and personal differences. The band failed to find a suitable singer prior to recording in France, so they conducted auditions and found Fabienne Gondamin for the recording of their debut album At Sixes and Sevens.

On the subsequent tour Fabienne Gondamin was replaced by Henriette Bordvik, with whom the band recorded the album An Elixir for Existence and the EP Sirenian Shores.

On November 2005 Henriette Bordvik left the band for personal reasons.

In 2007 they released a third album – Nine Destinies and a Downfall. The album features new singer, Monika Pedersen from Denmark, who joined the band in April 2006, and new guitarist Bjørnar Landa (from Artifact), who joined the band during the recording.

On November 5, 2007, Monika Pedersen quit the band over musical disagreements. Her departure caused Sirenia to pull out of a planned European tour with Therion.

On April 9, 2008, Sirenia announced Spanish X Factor contestant Ailyn as their new female vocalist.

On May 19, 2008, it was announced that Bjørnar Landa left the band in order to have more time for his family and studies. He was replaced by Michael S. Krumins (Green Carnation).

On June 12, 2008, Sirenia announced that for the first time in their career, they had decided to work with a bassplayer for their live shows. The session bass player will be Kristian Olav Torp.

Sirenia started recording their fourth album in July 2008. It was recorded in Sound Suite Studios, France and Stargoth Studios, Norway. The mixing and mastering took place in Antfarm Studios, Denmark with Tue Madsen. The album, called The 13th Floor, was completed on September and the release date was 23 January 2009. The album features guest appearances by Jan Kenneth Barkved. The first single, "The Path To Decay", was released on December 26, 2008 as a digital download.

On 8 July 2010, Sirenia announced that they started recording a new album. It was finished in November, and will be titled The Enigma of Life. The release date is 21 January 2011.

The first single, "The End Of It All", was released on December 21, 2010 as a digital download.

On 19 April 2011, Michael left Sirenia to put in more time on his own bands and projects.

In April 2011, Jan Erik Soltvedt joined the band and will fill in as the lead guitarist.

On October 16, 2012, Sirenia announced that they have entered the studio to record their next album for an early 2013 release. The band on their sixth album, "The progress on the new album is going very well — we feel confident that the sixth SIRENIA album will have some nice surprises up its sleeve, as we‘ve been determined to make this record somewhat different from the previous two albums.

The 6th studio album will be released in September and it's called "Silent Tears"

mg_9704_1a.jpg

03.jpg

Their band name must be one of the most epic fails in metal history. Unless they're incredibly avant garde and don't follow genre conventions, I'm pretty sure we can safely assume that the intention behind it is to allude to sirens. The funny thing is that it actually means sea cow!

naples-wildlife-manatee.jpg

Not exactly the darkest and most gothic animal around :P

Anyway, I think their music is pretty good but Ailyn's voice leaves a lot to be desired. But they seem happy with her so I hope it works out for them.

Epica, Xandria, Sonata Arctica, Apocalyptica, Imperia, Tristania, Katatonia, Krypteria - it's not really hard to see a pattern here ;)

Tristania is actually a type of flower, although I'm sure the band intended for people to associate their name with the folk legend of Tristan, whose name in turn means sadness. The flower reference is probably unintentional, but at least it doesn't clash with their image. Sirenia on the other hand is the actual name for sea cows and doesn't really have anything to do with sirens, even though I'm sure that was what they thought at the time (they really should have done their research properly before deciding on this name).

Sea cows are adorable! They don't really go well with the band's intended imagery though. :P

Personally I think sea cows are incredibly beautiful creatures.

Anyway...I remember a song that went "stay awake my little princess stake awake to the other side" or summat like that. It was catchy, and I loved it for a while, but couldnt see myself buying the album.

And I saw a music video with a blonde singer?! She looked like a chunky heidi. No problem with that...but I think I read somewhere she lasted two minutes.

Or maybe it was because she was a sirenia?

Whatever...she looked like she loved a bit of bratwurst, and quite often as well.

Personally I think sea cows are incredibly beautiful creatures.

Anyway...I remember a song that went "stay awake my little princess stake awake to the other side" or summat like that. It was catchy, and I loved it for a while, but couldnt see myself buying the album.

And I saw a music video with a blonde singer?! She looked like a chunky heidi. No problem with that...but I think I read somewhere she lasted two minutes.

Or maybe it was because she was a sirenia?

Whatever...she looked like she loved a bit of bratwurst, and quite often as well.

It's "Sail away, my little sister / sail away to the other side". The song is actually pretty catchy and probably the best on that album. The blonde woman is Monika Pedersen and she left the band in 2007. Ailyn is their new singer now.

I like the first album (At Sixes and Sevens). Probably the best for me. I also liked the singer Monika, she also fits with the band. I like the song "My Mind's Eye" and "The Other Side".

The "sail away my little sisters" song is actually one of the few decent Sirenia songs. It kinda pains me to see what Morten, who made two of my favourite all time albums with Tristania (Widow's Weeds and Beyond the veil), has gone this low. For me Sirenia is the diluted version of Tristania, that tries to be metal and gothic and throws in some grunts and choirs in the middle of the song out of the bloom, and then returns to the rest of the song like nothing happened. Everything is very wannabe-ish and fake and forced. And the arrival of Aylin, who’s very nice and has a lovely stage presence, but sounds like a tortured cat, hasn’t really been an improval for the band.

That's the exact impression I have of them! Its like when you see a pop band try and go "serious because thats who we really are!"

But secretly they really just are a cheesy pop group.

It seems that Ailyn has really stepped up her game for the upcoming album release! Judging by the track in the background they're opting for a heavier sound this time around too. I think their previous two with Ailyn have been decent, but hardly mind-blowing. But for the first time ever, I'm really excited about a Sirenia album. This could definitely be the underdog of the year.

[media]

[/media]

I really enjoy their new song Seaven Widows Weep. Seems like they have brought some real Sirenia back. Can't wait for the album to be released. :)

This new song is just fantastic, I'm just sooo weak for southern-Norwegian accents. And it's truly something different from their other material. Probably a bit harder for non-norwegian speaking countries, but this could be a really good radio hit here in Norway, and maybe Sweden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2gk7FhGSA

Yeah, some Sirenia on the radio would be a nice change here in Norway.

The new song is good but, although I do admit she's improved, I still can't stand Ailyn's voice. She sounds like Lady Angellica on the chorus. Her high notes sound a little bit like she's "squeeing!". I love the song itself, but I think it would have a lot more impact if they'd picked a more experienced singer. :/

*lol* @ video...

but the song is not that bad! I will check this album out when it's released. Nine Destinies is still my favourite Sirenia album even if it was quite poppy :)

Poor little creatures, trying sooooo hard to be epic and badass... And... is that Aylin? Judging by the stangled cat voice it's her, but she looks very different.

Not bad at all, Sirenia! While this isn't something that really makes me feel anything, it's still a huge improvement, and a step in the right direction.

And even though I'm not personally a fan, Ailyn isn't a bad singer.

Ditt Endelikt is a really pretty song.

It's surprisingly good, but not amazing by any means. I too think it's a big step in the right direction. Like I said earlier, I'm actually excited about a Sirenia album for the first time ever. Ailyn seems to have more confidence in herself as a metal singer now. It's a really cool think to watch someone grow like that. I didn't like her at all on the previous album but she's really stepped up her game now!

No, you're right. The volume level for the vocals should have been just a tad bit higher.

Well, she's still way too shrill. <_< If you're going for seduction, or something imposing, you really need a meatier voice. That little angelic Soprano voice works for WT, but I'll also note that for their more aggressive The Unforgiving album, Sharon also went much lower and sang more harshly. Ailyn has improved a good deal, as Magnus said, though she's still not what I'd pick for a band of this nature. If they want the high notes they need a different type of Soprano, her wispy (Lyric? I think?) voice is just too weak for this type of thing. But still, not bad, I might buy this album.

Agreed, but it would seem that she has a lot more potential than anyone ever thought. I mean, I don't think I was alone in dismissing her as the Britney Spears of metal at first. Her voice was so weak on the first two Sirenia albums, so I certainly didn't expect it to get any better. But it seems she's actually got some ambition as a vocalist and doesn't just want to front a band with her pretty face! I really like the classical vocals towards the end of the new song. I hope she will continue to study classical singing because it suits the musical style of the band. It's exciting to see an artist blossom like this! And the band also seems to have found their way back to the type of music they used to make and probably wants to make before getting caught up in the sea of female fronted metal bands who wanted to cash in on the commercial success of Evanescence ten years ago.