MyChildWish

Sirenia

352 posts in this topic

I love the fact that Aylin previously sang anime-pop music and now is soooo dark hahaha. Seriously, I love that. 

I love that she can be the darkest gothic bloody batwoman on scenario and a sweet ordinary woman on her daily life :) 

Those song titles are so cliché it's not even funny. I'm still looking forward to the album though. Ailyn is indeed a sweetheart and I'm really impressed with how dedicated she seems to be. She's really put her heart and soul into being the singer in this band. After the first two albums with her I was honestly ready for an announcement that she was going to leave due to "creative differences" and pursue a career in pop music in her home country, but I'm glad she proved me wrong!

I can say no-one here knows Ailyn (except if you are into metal music). So..... forget the idea of she having a solo career in Spanish pop music  :music:  :music:  :music:

@Floor Rules: It's "Talentosa", with "a" in the end :) Spanish language differences between male and female adjetives. "-o" in the end is for male. "-a" in the end is for female ;)

I loved that My Lost Lenore version...! I would like to hear Aylin sing lyrical songs more often :) and better, why not. 

Thanks for the correction, Niwi.  :help: I would love to take a Spanish class one day.  My wish is to learn Japanese one day (because I love Japan and I'm a big anime fan) and learn Spanish. 

Those song titles are so cliché it's not even funny. I'm still looking forward to the album though. Ailyn is indeed a sweetheart and I'm really impressed with how dedicated she seems to be. She's really put her heart and soul into being the singer in this band. After the first two albums with her I was honestly ready for an announcement that she was going to leave due to "creative differences" and pursue a career in pop music in her home country, but I'm glad she proved me wrong!

Indeed. She is such a great hardworker. I'm really glad you like her btw. You are one of my favorite posters here ; I always like to read your posts and rate them highly. 

I love the fact that Aylin previously sang anime-pop music and now is soooo dark hahaha. Seriously, I love that. 

I love that she can be the darkest gothic bloody batwoman on scenario and a sweet ordinary woman on her daily life :)

I love that too. I'm a big anime fan. I did listen to some of her pop songs/anime songs and I really liked some of them even though I couldn't understand anything haha. It's really fun. I have many of these songs on my iPhone. I'm a big fan so that's normal I guess. :I  I heard she sung in Japanese, French, Spanish and English. I was like "OMG, that can't be true!". :blink:  I don't know if that's true to be honest. That would such an amazing feat if true.   I know she sung anime songs but I thought she sung them in Spanish only not Japanese. Don't know about French. Do people learn French in school in Spain? 

Don't mock me. :help:  I liked this lol xD Pretty sure this is an anime song. Maybe that's why I love it. It's so catchy and fun haha xD Love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXHm8jZJZc

I adore this too. :wub: Probably my fav song of her in her career before joining Sirenia. Pretty sure it's an anime song too. The fact that she sung anime songs made me adore her even more since I'm a big anime fan.  :wub:  And there are other anime/pop songs I liked from her. Not only these 2. 

I can say no-one here knows Ailyn (except if you are into metal music). So..... forget the idea of she having a solo career in Spanish pop music  

The reputation of Spanish pop is bad according to one of my Spanish friends. If that is true then Ailyn certainly made the right  move. In any case she made the right move to be honest. It was a big challenge for her but she made it. Great determination. I'm so happy she went to metal ;otherwise, we wouldn't be able to know this beautiful talented women. I wish in the future Sirenia make a live DVD. I want to see her sing live with good sound quality. 

I heard she sung in Japanese, French, Spanish and English

If that is true, she would be a perfect singer for Pink Martini !  :D

Indeed. She is such a great hardworker. I'm really glad you like her btw. You are one of my favorite posters here ; I always like to read your posts and rate them highly. 

Thank you! :D

I heard she sung in Japanese, French, Spanish and English

If that is true, she would be a perfect singer for Pink Martini !  :D

I live for Je ne veux pas travailler! Hah!

"Je ne veux pas travailler" means "I don't want to work", in french. This single had a big success in France !  :) 

I know! I studied French for three years. Forgot how to speak it properly but I still understand basic sentences :D

Great !  :good:

well, let's go back to Sirenia. I have the At sixes and Sevens, and An Elixir for existence albums. I've only listened Perils of the deep blue once, and it sounds a lot alike. I fail to see any improvement. Plus their sound is way too compressed. It is thin and hollow.

Great !  :good:

well, let's go back to Sirenia. I have the At sixes and Sevens, and An Elixir for existence albums. I've only listened Perils of the deep blue once, and it sounds a lot alike. I fail to see any improvement. Plus their sound is way too compressed. It is thin and hollow.

These 2 albums you mentioned are great albums imo especially "An Elixir for existence" (their best album arguably). The improvement ppl mean is in "Perils of the deep blue" compared to their previous 2 albums, "The 13th Floor" and "The Enigma Of Life" with Ailyn. And they also mean Aylin improvement as a singer. I personally liked all the 3 albums with Ailyn but at the end of the day, it's just a matter of personal taste I guess. I agree about the sound being too compressed btw. It's certainly one of their main issues. 

"Perils of the deep blue" certainly needs more than one listen in order to get into it. From the first listen I didn't like it really. It's kind of album that grows on you. For me at least. For example, "Seven Widows Weep" really grew on me. Gets better after every listen. Love it! Much better than their previous 2 singles. 

I found this detailed review on amazon and I mostly agree with it.

Before I start, I should note that I jumped aboard Sirenia when they started exploring the more mainstream aspects of Gothic Metal. 'The 13th Floor' is my all-time favorite album in the genre. 'The Enigma of Life' had the same potential, though it was derailed by some terrible fillers and a horrendous running track order.

With that said, when Ailyn announced that the new album 'Perils of the Deep Blue' would be one for the early fans, I was skeptical. I'm certainly not a fan of their early work. 'Seven Widows Weep,' was chosen as the single. Tell you what, I thought it was an excellent bombastic song. After Forever-quality, perhaps even beating Epica at their own game. Yet, it caught me off-guard, as this was the style I wasn't expecting from Sirenia. I considered backing away from this one, until I heard the second leak 'Ditt Enkelikt.' This was the Sirenia I fell in love with. Simple, yet with a big chorus hook. Perhaps I shouldn't skip this one. That said, I picked up a copy.

The latest from Morten Velund and co. was different than I expected. And I'm sure quite a few may be thrown off the first time they listen to 'Perils of the Deep Blue,' regardless of which side of the Sirenia fence you sit on. Yes, a lot of these songs do share something in common with the Sirenia of the early days. But they used their experience from the mainstream years to cleverly mask little catchy hooks here and there within the artistic qualities of the songs, some of which most listeners may not even catch on to until after the 2nd or 3rd spin. The beauty part is the balance between the two styles of Gothic Metal. You're caught in the middle, not knowing whether to love or hate the album. Regardless of which side of the fence you're on, mainstream or artistic, There's enough quality on one side of the fence that you can't hate it for its aspects you dislike. So to make up your mind, you listen to it one more time...and one more time...and then again.

Hook. Line. Sinker. That's the beauty of balanced Gothic Metal.

And you'll hear this balance in tracks such as 'My Destiny Coming To Pass,' 'Darkling,' 'The Funeral March,' and 'A Blizzard Is Coming.' It was also satisfying to listen to a couple purely mainstream songs and a couple purely artistic songs that should satisfy both fan bases. Early Sirenia fans will gobble up 'Seven Widows Weep,' 'Cold Caress,' and the epic 'Stille Kom Doden.' While those who prefer the previous two albums will lean towards, 'Ditt Enkelikt,' and the bonus tracks 'Chains,' and 'Blue Colleen.' These are nice tip-of-the-hat gestures, and are certainly in the mainstream style that I fell in love with.

Regardless of what direction Sirenia goes in though, the one thing I always look for in all their wonderfully crafted tunes: Diverse vocals between Morten's grunts, the chants of the Sirenian Choir, and Ailyn's clean vocals (with delight, she also donnes a few operatic moments as well.) Sirenia has always been at their best when they're constantly switching between vocal roles.

To be nit-picky, I would've liked to hear more clean male roles as well, as 'Ditt Enkelikt' is my favorite track of the bunch.

Morten Velund....He's a genius....That's putting it lightly....With the latest slice of Sirenia, I strongly believe he'll successfully unite a split fan base with 'Perils of the Deep Blue.' There aren't too many Gothic bands left in the world who seamlessly blend both the mainstream and artistic aspects of Gothic Metal without blatantly leaning towards one side, and yet Sirenia still waves the 'balance flag' proudly. I believe the general consensus will feel this is Sirenia's best album, and will be a contender for many Gothic Metal 'Album of the Year' lists. I recommend 'Perils of the Deep Blue' to anyone who has liked Sirenia at any point of their career. This is their best work to-date.

And most of rest of the reviews I saw about the album are quite positive. 

Yesterday evening I translated Stille Kom Døden to English.

Please note that I don't speak Norwegian but Danish and that I haven't finished my studies yet (but I am close to). Also, it was my first time translating a song's lyrics to English.

Therefore, not everything might be 100% correct but it should be close enough to give you an idea.

Anyway, here you go:

Silently Came Death

In boundless sorrow

In agony and distress

There you live endlessly

You found peace

One tear's virtue

So clear and pure

Your days have gone by

Your name's written in stone

Silently came death

It came like a friend

Took you with your lost hand

And led you home

All your days have now gone by

Your soul has flown, to never come back again

Still your agony, you are destituted

Until your last time, burden was only yours

Your soul is now facing home

Life can never plague it again

Day led to evening, your sun came down

Your heart stopped and you found peace

Silently came death

Took you in its fathom

Led you over stormful sea

To a silent harbour

Away...for all time

Missed... infinitely

Finally...life's street ended

Irreplaceable...

No treasure was more precious

This is my farewell

I have no more to give

So burdened my life's burden

In the end my heart bursted

In anguish of soul

In fog's home (tåkeheim) and sorrow's valley (sørgedal)

I lock you in

In the inner of my heart

There you shall live

Like a precious memory

That's a good translation!

I translated it too, but I like yours, it has better flow :)

It's one of the best Sirenia lyrics in my opinion. Beautiful and not so pretentious, as some of his English lyrics can be, in Norwegian.

^ I agree. I think English Sirenia lyrics can be a bit repetitive sometimes, and kind of "cliche gothic", but these lyrics are really impressive! Thanks for the translation.

Yep, cliche gothic, exactly ^

His Norwegian lyrics are touching.

This is my translation. I'm Swedish, so I don't speak Norwegian either.

In bottomless sorrow
In pain and woe
There you dwell endlessly
You find a peace

A tear's virtue
So clear and so pure
Your days are past
Your name carved into stone

Silently came death
It came as a friend
Took you by your brave hand
And led you home

All your days are now gone past
Your soul has flown, never to return again
Silently your pain, you carried alone
'Til your last hour, the burden was yours alone

Your soul has now turned homewards
Never more can life torment it
Day fell to evening, your sun went down
Your heart stilled, and you found peace

Silently came death
Took you in his arms
Led you over stormy sea
To a safe harbour

Gone... for all time
Missed... infinitely
Eventually... life's woe at end
Irreplaceable... no treasure were more precious

This is my farewell
I have no more to give (does ei mean no in Norwegian?)
So weighed down by life's burden
In the end, my heart broke
In anguish of the soul
In fog's home and sorrow's valley

I lock you in
Into my heart's inner
There you shall dwell (I really like how you translated that to There you shall live, because that works wonderfully and is perfect in the context)
As a precious memory

And just as an FYI to anyone interested; Stille doesn't exactly mean silently as in no sound, it's also like still; without causing a lot of commotion

I was actually surprised that while translating the lyrics, I found out that actually like the lyrics of Stille Kom Døden. Usually they're repetitive and boring but these ones are really beautiful :)

I also found a translation for Ditt Endelikt online (this one isn't mine, I just found it). It seems really good, even though I would've used warmth instead of heat in one line:

[English translation:]

[Your Demise]

The rain falls down
As tears of a grief-filled year
incurable wounds
As in a timeless lament
Lingering endless longing
And you ran so far away
In the quest for peace

For only darkness can consist
Where everything is stirred must pass away
You who bear the world's burdens