LFMAC

The Marco thread

438 posts in this topic

Marco is the bassist and vocalist in Nightwish, but also in Tarot, Northern Kings and a thousand bands more, but I cannot remember so many names. Please, feel free to add them and make this description more complete.

So, what do you think about him both as a singer and bassist?

I remember having a discussion with a friend many years ago who argued that Nightwish was just a side project for Marco. Then I showed him the stickers on the Tarot albums. :P

It was about time that they took the final step away from the female fronted metal category and made him a lead singer just as important as Anette. Not to mention that he now gets to write at least one song per album and he plays the bass. It's amazing how far he has come since joining the band!

I think that he values both bands pretty equally, though maybe in different ways. He obviously has more of the hand in the way Tarot sounds, but Nightwish is also more time-consuming and still something he has some control with.

I've seen more people argue that Tarot was just a side project for him. That's just silly.

I agree, although I believe Nightwish is his top priority. Not in terms of making music, but as a job.

It brings in the cash. Tarot, well, the other members work real jobs pretty much year-round in order to pay the bills.

Maybe they'll get some late fame. When they released Gravity of Light in 2010, I was able to find it in my local record store here in the states. The word is spreading.

Now they just need to get their other stuff over here.

Marco owns. Period. :P I like all his other work as well, like Tarot (good old heavy metal!). He's also so funny, he's like the 'goofball' of the band :P

Marco is one of my favorite singer! Very powerfull voice. But i really didn't like his bass guitar playing on Century Child. It was too hard if it compare to Samy. But with a time, i like it more and more and now a very like his bass guitar playing. Also, i think that his voice on Imaginaerum is most beautiful and powerfull ever. Very like him!

I'm actually in love with Marco. When/if I ever see NW live I'll take a big sign... Only joking.

But seriously, he's amazing.

I'm actually in love with Marco. When/if I ever see NW live I'll take a big sign... Only joking.

But seriously, he's amazing.

Ditto! Me too! ;)

I think Marco is a brilliant singer, no matter if he does songs for Nightwish of for Tarot. He has a awesome interpretation and a awesome feeling for the music! And besides, he's a really nice guy, and pretty natural in his kind. There's nothing artificial; Marco is just Marco! ;) And that's it what I like most on a person.

And just for your information: I too have a Marco in my life! :P 'Cause my life partner has the same name, and is just a year younger, but plays bass guitar as well! :P

I think he's second only to Tarja in her prime (meaning Oceanborn and Wishmaster), closely followed by Anette.

Marco is Finland's best singer when he is out of Nightwish. It took him until Dark Passion Play to sound good more than half the time.

But he always sounds amazing with Tarot, or Northern Kings, or Delain, or the 19675947+ bands he's guested for.