LFMAC

The Marko thread

521 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, L_Alpenglow said:

Frankly impressed with our beloved Marko. It has a very fresh style. I've only listened half of the album so far but does anyone else think that in the songs Tähti, Hiekka Ja and Kuolleiden Jumalten Poika there is a certain touch similar to Ayreon or the soundtrack of Mass Effect (it was the first thing that came to my mind while listening to it lol). That kind of electronic-stellar combination  is fantastic IMHO.

Yes, I agree with that! He said in one of the interviews that he really enjoyed participating in the Ayreon Universe show and we know he likes Sci Fi and computer games, so I think you are right.

Been listening to the album again, and yeah, I'm impressed. In particular Kiviä has been growing in my estimation, it's a great album opener. 

15 hours ago, Serena said:

Or in English!! :D

Might be, even though I'm Finnish I rarely like music with Finnish lyrics.

38 minutes ago, Imaginarium said:

Might be, even though I'm Finnish I rarely like music with Finnish lyrics.

Marko, bring the english version of your CD now! Please!

Kiviä, Laulu sinulle and Totuus vapauttaa have been played... frequently. Album is growing on me, which is great since I already liked it a lot from the start.

And no, no rush with the English version if you ask me. We should let these versions really sink in first. :D

It is a very enjoyable album, which I think I will be spinning a lot during travels or while working (not understanding the lyrics helps in this regard, as they do not distract me). I especially loved the first three song, as well as the last one (can't bother to look up the titles now). 

I like very much Marko's "clean" singing, so it was long overdue to have him offer something more of his vocal prowess than we get in NW. 

Although I do have to say I expected a bit more proggy sound, from the promotion in press. But nevertheless, me likes it. 

We are joking about a english version but is it in his project please? Sabaton did it I believe.

The album is great. You can hear some similarities with Tarot, but there's also a lot of Finnish melancholia in there as well as some prog elements. It's very Marko in the same way that "Scrooge" is very Tuomas - in the best possible way.

13 hours ago, Magnus said:

It's very Marko in the same way that "Scrooge" is very Tuomas - in the best possible way.

An amazing album!! :D

On 5/16/2019 at 8:55 AM, icebreaker said:

Well, the video is not Rammstein :D, but I guess it's ok for what I assume it cost to produce it. That drummer is totally chill by the way.

The song is also growing more and more on me the more I listen to it. Looking forward to the rest of the album!

That drummer happens to be Anssi Nykänen, THE drumming Legend Of Finland (for me atleast). I think he has most of song Studio recordings ever in Finland, like 5000 or so? And he certainly is VERY funny guy to chat with :D

Marco has pretty good line-up for upcoming live performances: Marco himself, Tuomas Väinölä on guitar, Vili Ollila on keys and Anssi on drums. Not. Bad. At. All. I am hyped! Gonna see them in Lahti (Rock in the City festival) in july!

Well, look at him being the coolest ever at 03:30.

I've bought the physical album. It deserves it! I like it better than Within Temptation's Resist, and it likely won't be beaten by Tarja's In The Raw in August, so I'd say Mustan sydämen rovio is my 2019 album of the year!

Then there's that English release...

25 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

Well, look at him being the coolest ever at 03:30.

That was unexpected! :D

26 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

I'd say Mustan sydämen rovio is my 2019 album of the year!

Agree! :D

I wonder if that‘ll make an appearance at Nightwish live shows...

6 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

Now I kinda hope so!

That's some.. *COUGH* ..special technique he's displaying :P

I'm sure he intends it for show (and if he's serious there are many qualified people who'd be happy to help).

The singing is nice!

4 hours ago, Figment-of-me said:

That's some.. *COUGH* ..special technique he's displaying :P

I'm sure he intends it for show (and if he's serious there are many qualified people who'd be happy to help).

The singing is nice!

Frankly, I was wondering if that thing was even producing sound, or if it is solely there to look cool 😆

I also saw Kiviä from that show on YouTube and his singing sounded very solid. Plus it's a really great song perfect for crowd interaction.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:41 PM, icebreaker said:

Frankly, I was wondering if that thing was even producing sound, or if it is solely there to look cool 😆

I also saw Kiviä from that show on YouTube and his singing sounded very solid. Plus it's a really great song perfect for crowd interaction.

It was, just super subtle due to him using the bow rather than plucking the strings. At least that's what I've noticed with other bassists that do the same thing 

Really loving this album after giving it a bunch of spins over the last couple of months. I'm really glad itactually has, you know, some subtlety instead being in-your-face bombastic all the time. I have written on this forum before about how I felt that Tarja hasn't had a lot to say artistically outside of Nightwish (judging by what I heard of her solo stuff). I was worried that that may be the case with Marko as well, but those concerns were unnecessary - this is mature work from a mature artist.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:49 PM, avalonkillah said:

Really loving this album after giving it a bunch of spins over the last couple of months. I'm really glad itactually has, you know, some subtlety instead being in-your-face bombastic all the time. I have written on this forum before about how I felt that Tarja hasn't had a lot to say artistically outside of Nightwish (judging by what I heard of her solo stuff). I was worried that that may be the case with Marko as well, but those concerns were unnecessary - this is mature work from a mature artist.

I agree with that assessment and have written something similar in the Tarja thread. Though I would add the caveat that Marko - as he has said himself in interviews - is in the rather comfortable position to make his solo project without having to worry too much about the reception and commercial success. I am sure that he didn't want it to bomb, but that is a difference to the situation Tarja is in. 

On 8/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, icebreaker said:

I agree with that assessment and have written something similar in the Tarja thread. Though I would add the caveat that Marko - as he has said himself in interviews - is in the rather comfortable position to make his solo project without having to worry too much about the reception and commercial success. I am sure that he didn't want it to bomb, but that is a difference to the situation Tarja is in. 

Interesting - could you please elaborate on why Marko is in that position and Tarja isn't? 

11 hours ago, avalonkillah said:

Interesting - could you please elaborate on why Marko is in that position and Tarja isn't? 

Well, I would say it is because Marko is releasing his solo album as a side project and not as a main project like Tarja is. Marko's main income and focus is Nightwish, where he's just come off a successfull world tour and is going to release another album next year. So if the solo album flopped, he'd write it down as an experiment gone wrong and move on. 

Tarja meanwhile makes her main income, I assume, through her rock albums and tours. She does classical concerts occassionally and Christmas church concerts, but I can't imagine that she makes that much money off them. So she has to make sure that those rock/metal albums are commercially successfull. You can already see the difference in the promotion. For his album, Marko produced one single about two weeks before the release of the album. For In the Raw Tarja released three singles spread something like 2-3 months before the release and she also promoted the album very heavily on social media, etc. 

As another point, I would add now that Tarja's album has dropped, that you can hear that Marko is very experienced in writing music, not just to make himself sound good but for a whole band, while Tarja still relies a lot on other people to do the song writing for her. 

4 hours ago, icebreaker said:

Well, I would say it is because Marko is releasing his solo album as a side project and not as a main project like Tarja is. Marko's main income and focus is Nightwish, where he's just come off a successfull world tour and is going to release another album next year. So if the solo album flopped, he'd write it down as an experiment gone wrong and move on. 

Tarja meanwhile makes her main income, I assume, through her rock albums and tours. She does classical concerts occassionally and Christmas church concerts, but I can't imagine that she makes that much money off them. So she has to make sure that those rock/metal albums are commercially successfull. You can already see the difference in the promotion. For his album, Marko produced one single about two weeks before the release of the album. For In the Raw Tarja released three singles spread something like 2-3 months before the release and she also promoted the album very heavily on social media, etc. 

As another point, I would add now that Tarja's album has dropped, that you can hear that Marko is very experienced in writing music, not just to make himself sound good but for a whole band, while Tarja still relies a lot on other people to do the song writing for her. 

Very good points - and well articulated. The only minor "but" I have is that Tarja (as well as Marko) has had a pre-existing audience that followed her after she was let go from Nightwish (honestly, I would be surprised if the vast majority of NW's audience didn't do so, but perhaps I'm wrong), so in that respect, she was "safe"  (at least for her first post-NW release).

Also, I look at the Isaani Aani music video and I get the impression that Marko hasn't really splashed out on this release, while Tarja seems to insist on a more high-end production standard.  

Ow, that's a looong wait.

On the other hand, I have a feeling the original will still be superior to the English version.