LFMAC

The Marko thread

521 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Also, isn't it about time this topic title gets an update (c -> k)?

Done! ;)

Was the English tracklist confirmed earlier? I just saw it now for the first time.

• Stones
  • The Voice of My Father
  • Star, Sand and Shadow
  • Dead God's Son
  • For You
  • I Am the Way
  • Runner of the Railways
  • Death March for Freedom
  • I Dream
  • Truth Shall Set You Free

So basically the original titles. But in English.

Not seeing Stones on Spotify yet, but I guess YouTube will do. It's not a "new" song after all.

*Listening now*

I miss the hoiii.

And here ist he video, awesome! I know Ville Lippiäinen gets some grief on here, but he did imo a really good job on a low budget here. I also love how prominently the other band members are featured, feels more like a real band release than a solo project. 

The headbanging by the keyboardist is epic btw, I don’t think you see his face once in the whole song, lol.

His band is really good. Sounds super elaborate and professional. Worthy of his name. Marko is a legend. 

Wow, this sounds equally good as the Finnish version, although I also miss the "Hoi" part. 

The album in general has reminded me what a great vocalist Marko is, in particular when he sings in a cleaner way. I wish NW used him more in the vein of Century Child, that kind of singing is when he is at his best, just listen to Dead to the World. 

2 hours ago, icebreaker said:

And here ist he video, awesome! I know Ville Lippiäinen gets some grief on here, but he did imo a really good job on a low budget here. I also love how prominently the other band members are featured, feels more like a real band release than a solo project. 

The headbanging by the keyboardist is epic btw, I don’t think you see his face once in the whole song, lol.

So cool!! :D

I just recently bought the Finnish edition, as I expect it to become hard to find outside of Finland eventually. Can't wait to buy the English version too. To me, this is second only to The Life and Times of Scrooge as the best output by any band member, past or present, outside of the band.

3 hours ago, Baki said:

The album in general has reminded me what a great vocalist Marko is, in particular when he sings in a cleaner way. I wish NW used him more in the vein of Century Child, that kind of singing is when he is at his best, just listen to Dead to the World. 

He's always been a great vocalist, of course. But I actually think Marko sounds much better now than when he joined Nightwish. It's been an uphill climb for him after that botched surgery, but I think he's done an amazing job playing the hand he was dealt so to speak. His more aggressive vocals in particular sound way more menacing than ever, like in Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean. If they had performed this over a decade ago, his voice would not have had the same timbre and weight.

What surgery are you talking about? 

3 minutes ago, Baki said:

What surgery are you talking about? 

From what I've read, and someone please tell me if it's not true, he had a throat surgery in the 90's that messed up his vocal chords (which would explain why his voice changed so much from early Tarot to now, and why it has such a unique sound to it).

Wow, thanks for the info, did not know that.

Yeah, Marko had vocal surgery in 1996 after being diagnosed with a polyp on his vocal cords. The surgery went pretty badly and left some permanent damage, destroyed his clean falsetto and also greatly reduced his range. If you listen to Tarot "Stigmata" (before the surgery) and Tarot "For the Glory of Nothing" (after) the difference is really drastic, his range is really limited and his voice much more gravelly. The kicker was, that the surgery was actually not even necessary but that the polyp could've been treated with voice therapy.

Afterwards he really went into a bad downward spiral, to the point where he lost his appartment and was seriously contemplating suicide in 1998. Thankfully he realised in time that he needed help and called the SOS helpline who arranged for him to see a psychologist and later psychiatrist. 

Overall, I think he has done very well to re-train his voice within his new restrictions and rebuild his career after that extreme low-point. Amazing to think that he is now playing sold out shows in Wembley with Nightwish or able to produce a great solo project like this. 

55 minutes ago, icebreaker said:

Afterwards he really went into a bad downward spiral, to the point where he lost his appartment and was seriously contemplating suicide in 1998.  

That is intense... I had not about that... I'm sure I speak for us all when I say I'm glad he didn't do it.

I also miss the "hoi" :P and it generally seems a bit weird listening to it after so many times listening to it in Finnish, but I guess that feeling of weirdness will disappear over time.

By the way, a guy in a reaction video said that Marco and his band would be the supporting act for NW in the North American leg of the next tour... can anyone confirm this? That's hardcore if true.

1 hour ago, icebreaker said:

Yeah, Marko had vocal surgery in 1996 after being diagnosed with a polyp on his vocal cords. The surgery went pretty badly and left some permanent damage, destroyed his clean falsetto and also greatly reduced his range. If you listen to Tarot "Stigmata" (before the surgery) and Tarot "For the Glory of Nothing" (after) the difference is really drastic, his range is really limited and his voice much more gravelly. The kicker was, that the surgery was actually not even necessary but that the polyp could've been treated with voice therapy.

Afterwards he really went into a bad downward spiral, to the point where he lost his appartment and was seriously contemplating suicide in 1998. Thankfully he realised in time that he needed help and called the SOS helpline who arranged for him to see a psychologist and later psychiatrist. 

Overall, I think he has done very well to re-train his voice within his new restrictions and rebuild his career after that extreme low-point. Amazing to think that he is now playing sold out shows in Wembley with Nightwish or able to produce a great solo project like this. 

Yes. He talks about this in his book for those interested.

I still need to find a copy of that book. Seems incredibly interesting.

15 hours ago, icebreaker said:

Thank you for the info, I did not know any of that. Honestly, I just listened a couple of songs off Tarot´s most recent album, so I will have to youtube a little to compare his early singing. But it sounds like a very tough life situation he used to be in, I am glad he pulled out of it after so many years. 

I wish there was an audio book version narrated by Marko himself. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Yes, Marko's book is a good read, mostly focused on Tarot though, not on Nightwish. It is suprisingly candid and not trying to gloss over his mistakes. He's lived quite the rock n roll life, with all the highs and lows. I recall that there was the occasional mention of his "long career struggles" in interviews and the Once Upon a Nightwish book, but I never really realised what a tough time he had before he had his big break with Nightwish, or indeed the tough times he had as a child and teenager.