Sign in to follow this  
Trudesk

Visions Of Atlantis

40 posts in this topic

Visions of Atlantis is a symphonic power metal band from Styria, Austria, founded in 2000. Inspiration came both from Nightwish and from the myth of Atlantis. They have had 3 vocalists: Nicole Bogner, who pased away in January 2012 (2000-2005), Melissa Ferlaak (2005-2007), and their currently vocalist Maxi Nil (from 2009).

Studio Albums:

• Eternal Endless Infinity (2002)
  • Cast Away (2004)
  • Trinity (2007)
  • Delta (2011)
  • Ethera (2013)

Nicole:

[media]

[/media]

Confusing title, but it's Melissa:

[media]

[/media]

Maxi:

[media]

[/media]

What do you think? Who's your favourite vocalist?

They're a good band :) Nicole was my favorite singer, I dunno, for me she's the voice that I associate with the band. Melissa is also good but man, she has a big ego, which gets on my nerves sometimes :P I don't know their new material but from what I've heard people seem to be moderately enthusiastic about the new singer. Well, not so new I guess but I haven't stayed up to date with them :)

Melissa is also good but man, she has a big ego, which gets on my nerves sometimes  :P

Really? What did she do, I wasn't informed?  :dunno:

Anyway, I liked Maxi the most. Fits perfectly with their music, her voice is very pretty. The one I don't dig was Nicole. I don't like dark, hollow operatic voices. Regarding Melissa, I adore her voice, but honestly, I liked her better in Echoterra ( a perfect band). Why on Earth did she leave that band too? :sad:

From VoA's official Facebook page:

VOA warmly welcomes French soprano Clémentine Delauney and Austrian singer Siegfried Samer as new front vocalists!
In addition, VOA is going “back to the roots” and reunites founding members Werner Fiedler VOA (guitars), Chris Kamper (synth...s), Mike Koren (bass) and Thomas Caser (drums).

It was mostly a decision by me – Thomas – the only remaining founding member.
I will tell the truth, I will tell you that Visions Of Atlantis is homeward bound and will sail the old and known musical paths. The paths that were initially discovered with the founding members through friendship and the passion for the music we wanted to create.
Although the journey, after new shores have been discovered since “Trinity”, has been a successful one, the work and musical outcome became blurrier and blurrier in the end and has finally ended up as something the initial idea & spirit is not existent in anymore.
Many things have happened, some good, some bad. Sometimes the bad prevail the good as sailing long routes may change people and demands a lot of energy and endurance….
Mutiny always also comes with a price...
Therefore, we have decided to hire new crew, strike sails, and turn back to the course we originally bound outward on. The sea is dark, the waters deep and unknown…

This is and will be the last and final line up of VOA ever! We are working on a new album as you read this, shows are planned and will be announced soon.
This is more VOA than the band ever was in the past years.

Nevertheless, sincere gratitude goes out to Mario Plank & Maxi Nil Official and we wish all the best to MARTIN HARB OFFICIAL, Cris Tían!

Over the next days, we will post statements from our new and not so new members of VOA.

The former members Maxi Nil, Mario Plank, Cris Tían and Martin Harb will also issue statements through the official VOA Facebook page but will reveal more detailed statements on their sites.

Sounds ominus... I wonder what happened?

Maxi left? Ah, too bad, I liked her the most. But Clementine is good I guess, I checked some of her performances with Whyzdom. But I don't understand, what does he mean with going back to the older style? I liked last couple of albums the best. The early ones like Cast Away sound too cheap for me. 

It's sad that Nicole is no more here, even if I didn't like her voice. I like more Melissa's voice and maybe a bit more Maxi's voice. I can't wait to hear how Clementine sounds in the next Visions of Atlantis album.

New video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhp7SEQQFI

There is a new EP called "Old Routes - New waters" with Clementine Delauney (ex- Serenity). A remake of five songs from their first three albums. I am not that familiar with VoA, but I listened to them in the last couple of weeks (the male vocals are strange :( ). They try to bring back their "oldschool sound" with Nicole.

Pretty good and very catchy.  I love Clementine Delauney's voice - I remember first hearing her on Serenity's amazing "War of Ages", she's awesome.  I certainly like it better than every song on "Ethera", which...well, I can barely remember as it left absolutely no impression on me if I'm being completely honest... :P

Samples of songs from the new album.  Sounds like it'll be lighter than the last few but I like these!

Exciting! I've been sleeping as a fan of this band for a while, I am looking forward to this new release.

I just burst out laughing at The Deep & The Dark (new song) intro, total Storytime rip-off. It's 2018 and feeding off Nightwish still seems like a correct career path to bands of this genre.

21 minutes ago, Debauchery Decadent said:

I just burst out laughing at The Deep & The Dark (new song) intro, total Storytime rip-off. It's 2018 and feeding off Nightwish still seems like a correct career path to bands of this genre.

I had also the feeling that I know some parts of the song:giggle: I have found similarities to Edenbridge, too. However, I like the song, although it sounds a bit like a plagiat:P

4 hours ago, Debauchery Decadent said:

I saw one promo video for the album where their singer said VoA was “one of the pioneers of the female fronted metal scene” or something, which is nowhere near the truth

I don't think of them as pioneers (they've always been a very straight forward band), though I suppose they were around a bit earlier than other bands that rode on the coattails of Nightwish. :P Also, this is possibly an unpopular opinion, but I kinda hate their first two albums - I think the songwriting got a lot tighter and better with "Trinity", which is an album I thoroughly enjoy.  They've never been super original and innovative, but I quite like "Trinity" and "Delta" for what they are (fun, simple power metal).  I thought "Ethera" was boring though - not quite as sloppy and downright annoying as the first two albums, just kinda dull.

"The Deep & the Dark" is a pretty fun, catchy album though.  I listened to it a couple times on Spotify, then decided to order a copy (along with a shirt because hey, everyone needs an endless supply of metal shirts!).  The title track very distinctly reminds me of "The Moment is Now" by Edenbridge, though I do hear some similarities to NW's "Storytime" as well.  I still like it but it's certainly not the best song on the new album.  My favorite is probably "Book of Nature" - I think I'm just a sucker for power & symphonic metal with eastern melodies!

I'm perfectly happy with each and every song on The Deep & The Dark, even if the title track sounds like Storytime (I can't hear any similarity though), it wouldn't be as good as all the others on the release. The Silent Mutiny and Prayer to the Lost are in my very favourite songs now (although Prayer to the Lost a bit lacks of orchestrations, I might make an orchestral cover it in the future :D), and I don't find any reasons why the whole record would not be one of the best symphonic metal albums of today.

For me this band and aspecially new album songs are nothing spectacular... No stand out stracks ,maybe a title track is just one good song because of its chorus... The singer looks so similar to Dianne... But not even close to her talent.

Haven't heard the full album yet. So far I like it more than the albums with Maxi and even maybe Cast Away. I don't have a very clear opinion yet.

12 minutes ago, Speckofdust said:

The singer looks so similar to Dianne... But not even close to her talent.

My brother often thinks they're the same person... I also think they sound similar as well. Btw, I think they both sound a bit like Simone also, am I the only one??

With all respect... This band is not innovative... Brings nothing new to metal/symphonic metal scene..

Hearing no uplifting vocal lines... Like it shoud be... I don't get the "ornaments" apearing in the first verses and 2nd with male singing  in song Ritual Night.. It not fits... To my opinion... So unnatural,mechanical...

I really enjoyed the imagery in that video.

As for the music... I enjoyed it, but at the same time I'm intensely critical of the chord progressions, the production, etc.