revamp

ReVamp

835 posts in this topic

The story

Singer Floor Jansen needs no further introduction after 12 years of loyal service with After Forever. After the break of this band she knew she wanted to continue making metal! To accomplish this she joined forces with two additional songwriters to first compose, then record an album. The live band was formed after completion of the album!

The first composer to join this new collaboration was soon found in Waldemar Sorychta (Grip Inc, Enemy Of The Sun, ao). The second composer is After Forever colleague Joost van den Broek. The ReVamp sound has become a unique blend of the personal style we recognize from these musicians.

Floor's voice is already known for its wide range and variety. In ReVamp she shows the world she can do even more! From opera to raw screams; from rock to a light and almost whispered sound. She knows how to 'master the cords' and takes you along with her on a wild ride throughout the album!

The word 'revamp' literally means: to renovate, redo or revise. For Floor it got the symbolic meaning that this band puts new energy into her career as a singer, a next step but at the same time a continuation of her dream. The word 'vamp' indicates, with a wink, 'woman'. No vampires or ***** types, just a strong lady in charge of her passion.

The music is heavier than some of you might expect. Bombastic; but with heavy riffing. Complex and pounding drums mixed with melancholic strings. Crazy synth-sounds mixed with a beautiful choir. A wall of sound, yet transparent and versatile. And to finish this cake with a fine icing 3 special guests made this album extra special! Russell Allen (Symphony X) sings a beautiful duet with Floor. The fact their voices mix perfect together was proven before and on the song Sweet Curse they show ones again they are a magical duo.

Björn 'Speed' Strid (Soilwork) brings in power on a different level on the song 'Disdain'. His raw screams make this song the heaviest on the album and create a nice 'battle of the titans' with Floor. On Here's My Hell you'll hear Dutch master grunter George Oosthoek (ex-Orphanage). The variety of these guests make the album extra interesting from the first note off to very last.

The (live)band was completed early 2010. The band now consists of: Matthias Landes on drums, Jaap Melman on bass, Jord Otto on guitar, Arjan Rijnen on guitar and Ruben Wijga on keyboard.

The self-titled album has 13 tracks and presents a new dimension in the female fronted metalscene. It was released in June 2010 (Europe) and July 2010 (US) through Nuclear Blast.

7385b993ca7.jpg

408d48d13e44522a.jpg

Tracklist:

01. Here's My Hell

02. Head Up High

03. Sweet Curse

04. Million

05. In Sickness 'Till Death Do Us Part: All Goodbyes Are Said

06. Break

07. In Sickness 'Till Death Do Us Part: Disdain

08. In Sickness 'Till Death Do Us Part: Disgraced

09. Kill Me With Silence

10. Fast Forward

11. The Trial Of Monsters

12. Under My Skin

13. I Lost Myself

On special edition only:

14. No Honey For The Damned

I know Jord :). He's pretty awesome :) and never too busy to say hi to me on MSN <3. I really love this album and really enjoy watching the live stuff too on YouTube and such. Anyone else think that Jord does a pretty good job when he has to sing on songs like Sweet Curse? {He thinks otherwise but I disagree}

:P It's a shame I wouldn't be able to convince him to join the site to pop his head in and keep us updated and such. Usually I'm sworn to secrecy if he tells me stuff lol

I know Jord :). He's pretty awesome :) and never too busy to say hi to me on MSN <3. I really love this album and really enjoy watching the live stuff too on YouTube and such. Anyone else think that Jord does a pretty good job when he has to sing on songs like Sweet Curse? {He thinks otherwise but I disagree}

:P It's a shame I wouldn't be able to convince him to join the site to pop his head in and keep us updated and such. Usually I'm sworn to secrecy if he tells me stuff lol

Interesting!!!! Yes he is very good!!!! Floor gave an update on her burnout said she feels good not a 100% yet but good, and that she writing ReVamp stuff for a possible 2012 release! :)

Also Floor joined MaYan this past weekend @ Brasil and performed "Follow in the Cry" (awesome as always) and MaYan stuff

Just came by to say that I love Floor Jansen and that she's very talented... okay that's all...

Leaves thread

ReVamp is a wonderful band, and I believe Floor is one of the best female singers on the metal scene today. I prefer her voice over Tarja's. I hope ReVamp begins to work on a new album once she's feeling 110%.

ReVamp is a wonderful band, and I believe Floor is one of the best female singers on the metal scene today. I prefer her voice over Tarja's. I hope ReVamp begins to work on a new album once she's feeling 110%.

Yeah same here, I used to think Tarja was the best female singer in Metal until I heard Floor not so long ago.

Metropole Orchestra & Floor Jansen - Sound of Wind (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles):

Me too , i used to love Tarja the best until I discovered Floor, and up to this date, she still my favorite, she gave an update and said she's working on new ReVamp songs for a possible second album next year@ wohooo

I've alaws loved her covers - from " The evil that man do" to "Bad Romance" .Wish in second Revamp album Pantera's Cemetery Gates cover. She could do it.

Oh man that would be awesome, especially with her lower voice! I think she has a perfect voice for metal, a lot of female singers can do belting and stuff, but with her it really sounds close to how the original male singers do it, guys like Dickinson. I think the way she sings "The Evil that men do" sounds really similar to the way Dickinson sings that song.

I have a feeling that Floor could read the phone book and make it sound lovely.

I am impressed with every aspect of her voice. Though I'm guilty of never having listened to ReVamp.

To this:

[media]

[/media]

To this:

[media]

[/media]

It's crazy, lol. And I know she can sound even more "rock" and less opera than on "Face Your Demons" I just can't find a specific track for that vocal register I'm looking for.

Sorry for the double post, it wouldn't let me post all three videos in one post o.O.

"Evoke" would be one featuring a lot of diversity. From the more operatic stuff in the beginning to the belting parts in the chorus to the soft singing leading into the bridge. I agree, her stylistic range is crazy. She can do everything. You could really make a video entitled "common vocal styles in female fronted metal" with just her singing.

Poor Floor :( :

I won't join Pagan's Mind on stage tomorrow!!!:

Dear all,

my enthusiasm and love for music and performing made me a think I was doing better than I actually am. I'm still in the process of recovery which means I move steps forward, but also back sometimes. Forward was when I went to Sao Paulo to join Mayan on stage there. Backwards is now...

My body told me to slow down and I must obey... I didn't do that in the past and that brought me to this burn out.

I am sorry the consequence is that I cannot join my friends from Pagan's Mind on stage coming Friday at Melkweg, Amsterdam. I am sure they will make an amazing concert and that you will have a great evening with superb music and musicians. I hope to join them another time when my health allows it again!!!

I will take it easy ones more for now and make sure that I can start 2012 well!!!

All the best,

Floor

I hope she recovers soon. This burn out is quite serious, she's been out all year I think. I hope she learns how to take care of herself so it doesn't happen again.

No, shes been out since Summer

Check this vid out:

there are some parts where she is singing live and studio verison at the same time, she is so good live that it sounds like studio LOVE HER

She has a powerful voice but also a very cold and emotionless one... And this band is a joke. You can't name a band Revamp lol

She has a powerful voice but also a very cold and emotionless one... And this band is a joke. You can't name a band Revamp lol

I dont agree, her voice is not cold and emotionless are you kidding me ?

I also disagree. And to say the band is a joke, really? I really don't understand people who go into a thread about a band simply to diss them.

I think ReVamp could improve their sound, but they have tons of potential and I think will release some really good albums in the future. I loved After Forever, so perhaps that's why I enjoy ReVamp.

I sort of get what people mean when they say she has a cold voice. When you compare her with a singer like Sharon from Within Temptation, she doesn't have this warm tone in her voice, this tone that makes her ballads so amazing. Floor is a brilliant singer, but she doesn't have the most intimate or warm voice in her voice.

EDIT: I could for example not imagine her doing well on a song like WTs "Somewhere". I don't think she's good at softer, emotional singing. Floor kinda always sounds strong, even when she sings soft. That's great but there are songs where it doesn't fit.

I finally listened to some of these songs. I was pretty dismissive when I first heard of this band. The emphasis on "Vamp" plus the album art led me to expect another overly-cheesy mallratgoth album, the sort of which are plentiful at the moment. But I do have to say that I've mostly liked what I've heard so far, and Floor Jansen is definitely still going strong.

I don't see where's the problem with the "cold" voice... Actually Tarja Turunen , Vibeke Stene, Su Ehlers, Lori Lewis have "cold and emotionless" voices too and they are great vocalists ...

As for the band name - I would agree, if there weren' t bands like "Anal Dissected Angel", "!!!!" "Vomitury" or my personal favourite in category of idiotic names - "Pooping dwarfs" ( translated) :giggle:

I sort of get what people mean when they say she has a cold voice. When you compare her with a singer like Sharon from Within Temptation, she doesn't have this warm tone in her voice, this tone that makes her ballads so amazing. Floor is a brilliant singer, but she doesn't have the most intimate or warm voice in her voice.

EDIT: I could for example not imagine her doing well on a song like WTs "Somewhere". I don't think she's good at softer, emotional singing. Floor kinda always sounds strong, even when she sings soft. That's great but there are songs where it doesn't fit.

Have you heard " THe Key " " Emphemeral" , "Silence from Afar" , "Cry with a smile " , " Strong" , " Lonely" , "lost myself" , "Sweet curse" just to mention a few ? :swoon:

I just thought the same as revamp wrote!

But I somehow can undestand aswell what Sam wrote. But I think Sharon is just that singer with the most warm voice!

And furthermore a voice that does touch one might seem cold to another or the other way round. So it´s really subjective and a matter of taste!

As for me in some songs I really think this quite strong voice even emphasizes the weakness/hopelessness/emptiness in the more quiet songs loke cry with a smile, lost myself and Empty memories!