revamp

After Forever

376 posts in this topic

After Forever was formed in 1995, their music was mostly death metal orientated with classical influences. When Floor Jansen joined the band (1997), the music got more diverse but always contained metal elements.

After Forever recorded their first album Prison of Desire in 2000. This album was recieved very well in the press and gave the band the oppurtunity to develop.

In 2001 they released Decipher.

After Forever became internationally recognised as one of the best female fronted metal bands.

They toured through Europe and South Amerika with succes, performed in nearly every venue in Holland and recorded the mini album Exordium in 2003.This mini album also contained a mini dvd and gave a glimpse of the new album they would release in 2004:Invisible Circles.

The album is a concept album, this pretty serious concept (about a girl that has to grow up under difficult circumstances) suits the music very well and earned a lot of respect. Invisible Circles even reached 26th place in the Dutch Top 100 album charts and also recieved very good critics in Germany.

In early September 2005, the band released their fourth album Remagine This album is available in two versions, a SACD with three bonus songs and as a 'Special Edition' with a DVD. The DVD contains a photo gallery and a 'making of' documentary.

On March 3, 2006, the band left the Transmission Records label, due to the scarce promotion that the label was providing. Following this, Transmission Records released the Mea Culpa compilation. By October of the same year After Forever had signed to Nuclear Blast Records.

In the end of 2006 the band recorded their 1st album on the Nuclear Blast label, self titled After Forever, it features guest appearances from Annihilator guitarist Jeff Waters and Doro Pesch.

In February 2009, it was announced that After Forever had disbanded. :(

Final line-up

Studio albums

My favorite band :'( trully miss them, Keeping the AF spirit alive!!!

After+Forever.jpg

Edited by Cursarion
removed colours

I cried manly tears when After Forever split up. Their last album was perhaps everything that symphonic metal with female vocals should be, but often isn't. Floor's voice is amazing.

I cried manly tears when After Forever split up. Their last album was perhaps everything that symphonic metal with female vocals should be, but often isn't. Floor's voice is amazing.

Yeah! I feel ya me too, I was also shocked could;nt believe it, what is your favorite song / album ?

BTW - Good News -

Decipher its getting re-released like Prison of Desire 2 disc - the sessions back then;

Product description

Special edition re-issue of symphonic metal group AFTER FOREVER's 2001 album "Decipher", feat. ten album tracks, three bonus tracks and fourteen album session tracks (non-album tracks, unreleased versions, demos & rough mixes) on 2CDs!

Chapter 1 - Decipher; The Album 1. Ex Cathedra - Ouverture - 2. Monolith of Doubt 3. My Pledge of Allegiance #1 - The Sealed Fate- 4. Emphasis 5. Intrinsic 6. Zenith 7. Estranged - A Timeless Spell- 8. Imperfect Tenses 9. My Pledge of Allegiance #2 -The Tempted Fate- 10. The Key 11. Forlorn Hope Bonus Tracks 12. For The Time Being 13. Who wants to Live Forever 14. Imperfect Tenses (duet with Damian Wilson) 15. Monolith of Doubt Single Version Chapter 2 Decipher: The Sessions 1. The Key 2. Monolith of Doubt 3. My Pledge of Allegiance #2 4. Emphasis 5. Estranged 6. My Pledge of Allegiance #1 7. Imperfect Tenses 8. For the Time Being 9. Forlorn Hope 10. Zenith 11. Intrinsic 12. Monolith of Doubt Demo 13. Emphasis - Demo 14. For The Time Being - Demo

They were maybe the only female fronted prog-metal band! Started as standart sympho/gothic band and after Mark's departure became the monsters of the scene, composing and playing everything they wanted, unlike others. Really miss them :(

They were maybe the only female fronted prog-metal band! Started as standart sympho/gothic band and after Mark's departure became the monsters of the scene, composing and playing everything they wanted, unlike others. Really miss them :(

I agree! :( Im glad I got to see them and met them back in 2007 :(

Yeah! I feel ya me too, I was also shocked could;nt believe it, what is your favorite song / album ?

Favourite album is their self-titled, favourite song is either "Face Your Demons," "De-energized," or "Dreamflight."

Favourite album is their self-titled, favourite song is either "Face Your Demons," "De-energized," or "Dreamflight."

My fave album is also self-title but sometimes I think its tied with "Invisible Circles" !

fave songs def. "Dreamflight" / "De-energized" but I also love "Monolith of Doubt" , " My pledge #1" , " Forlone Hope " , " Beautiful Emptiness" , " sins of idealism" , "Come" , "Only everything" and so on .

Lol

I miss After Forever too! They had a beautiful blend of musical elements that can never be replicated- both Epica and Revamp just aren't the same for me lol

Favourite albums would have to be: Prison of Desire, After Forever and ReImagine (that one might actually be my fave one of all, the industrial influences really suited them IMO)

The first album I got of theirs was Decipher, which I think I bought from blackmetal.com... I was pretty much blown away when I first heard it, so I was very quick to pick up Prison of Desire. Fantastic albums, both of them. I listened to Invisible Circles when we had the forum meet... musically, it was a solid album, but the spoken dialogue just really killed the whole album for me. After that, they seemed to decline a bit.. I heard bits and pieces of the following albums, and didn't much care for what I heard.

Does the intro of Leaden Legacy remind anyone else A LOT of The Poet & The Pendulum? Yeah I know I should say it the other way around, but I discovered Leaden Legacy after The Poet & The Pendulum.

"Decipher" was my first album from AF. I discovered AF after I got Epica's Consign to Oblivion. I watched "Emphasis" music video and quite impressed, so I dig into some songs like "Follow in the cry", "My Pledge of Allegiance 1" and "Beyond me". At first, it didn't digest me that much, so I just keep it in my library.

During TDC era of Epica and watching some videos on YouTube, I've seen a video of After Forever, "Energize me". I watched it and find out I missed that much with this band. So, I checked their albums and listen to it.

Too bad, I became REALLY a big fan of this band just a year after they broke up. There are times that I feel like listening to them, sometimes not. You just really have to give it few spins before it really digests.

My favorite release from them actually is "EXordium". All songs including 2 covers are great!!!

Next is, the self-titled, "After Forever" and then "Remagine". I also like Prison of Desire more than Decipher and Invisible circles.

All-time fave songs: My Choice, Glorifying Means, Intrinsic, Follow in the cry, Beyond me, Come, Equally Destructive, Cry with a smile, Face your demons, No control, Between love and fire

Invisible Circles is to me one of the best and deepest concept albums i've heard. Actually, THE best and deepest. Period.

Invisible Circles is indeed an amazing album and a long time favourite of mine. I just wish they had left out the spoken dialogue. Fantastic band with an amazing singer who produced some truly great albums.

I still very much love After Forever.

I discovered them several years ago with the release of "After Forever." I remember being completely crushed when they announced they were quitting as a band :( . But, I have always loved the music.

"Pledge of Allegiance," "Face Your Demons," "Strong," and "Lonely" are some of my favorites.

^ Me too. Like what I've posted above, I have been really a big fan of the band when they broke up. Those were the times that I came to appreciate all their stuffs! RIght now, Remagine and Exordium has the most plays in my library. I like Remagine in terms of its refreshing sound from Invisible circles. After Forever album is like a heavier and more diverse version of Remagine, which I also like.

I really loved Remagine and After Forever, After Forever. The first couple albums aren't really my style, but Invisible Circles was a fantastic concept album. Also, their live version of The Evil That Men Do is fast and furious, love it. Joost is a fantastic composer and song writer, it's too bad we didn't get to hear more of him.

I discovered After Forever after I heard that a Dutch woman had come to sub for Nightwish, I couldn't resist to opportunity to hear a beautiful, tall kinswoman sing.

I think After forever guys were really inspired by old Tristania in way  ,you can hear that clearly on first tow albums  ,I  considered POFD and decipher as Epica albums too ,due to mark 's influence in both albums . It was really shock when they broke up in that way But you always dont' what time is holding for us ,now floor is THE NIGHTWISH SINGER :P . My favorite album is decipher ,my favorite voice techniques album is Invisible circles ,my favorite songs are ,  Imperfect tenses,for time being,tortuous threnody,beyond me. dream flight  and many more . 

I really loved Remagine and After Forever, After Forever. The first couple albums aren't really my style, but Invisible Circles was a fantastic concept album. Also, their live version of The Evil That Men Do is fast and furious, love it. Joost is a fantastic composer and song writer, it's too bad we didn't get to hear more of him.

I actually thought the same about the first 2 albums that's why I haven't got to them easily. I started to like them after Mark left, badly. :giggle:

The first time I listened to Invisible Circles, it totally grabbed me instantly. This album has lots of outstanding tracks.

Their version of The evil that men do is totally awesome!

I am so upset I never saw them during their short and only tour in the US in 2007. I think I had just gotten into them, and they didn't even come to my city. I hope when ReVamp finally makes to the US, Floor will have them play at least one AF song for us! :D

This is so amazing. Chills.

Sigh, That song really resonates with me, I spoke more about this in the Floor thread. The ballads ( Lonely, Strong, Eccentric), I think really bring out the fragile beauty in Floor's voice.

It is a terrible shame that we could not see After Forever in our cities. The positive thing is that they were never terrible and their last album was incredible.

It is a lovely song, and so powerful. Her ballads are some of my favorite AF songs.

If I had to rate my top 10...

1. My Pledge of Allegiance #1

2. Lonely

3. Beyond Me (feat. Sharon den Adel)

4. Face Your Demons

5. Cry With A Smile

6. Strong

7. Digital Deceit

8. Energize Me

9. Empty Memories

10. Eccentric

Top 10 AF songs!? Hmm..