revamp

After Forever

376 posts in this topic

I don’t know.. I love all AF albums even the Exordium EP! I love the “transition” they made from Decipher to Invisible Circles and all the way to what they did in Remagine. If I were to pick my most favorite, that would be “Remagine”. 

^--- Remagine was my favorite for a long time, but eventually Invisible Circles edged it out. For the same reason @Baki had stated.

I was at work today and played all of my favorite AF songs across all the albums, really jamming out and wishing I had my guitar, but also realizing how lonely and special it is to be a AF fan. I wish I could share the musical experience the band provides, but most people in America really don't understand it.

Long live After Forever fans, may we always find each other at NW concerts.

1 hour ago, NighttimeBird said:

So, this happened yesterday:

When they started to play Follow In The Cry, my life felt complete :)

Wow, thanks for sharing! Marcela nailed it :) 

Only love for Marcela! I just wish they sung Follow in the Cry together with Laura. Laura is a superb operatic singer, but her most contemporary vocals lack something for me. Both are still great though!

Random fact: Follow in the Cry and Sancta Terra have to be the two songs that have been sung by the most singers.

1 hour ago, Imagineer said:

Laura is a superb operatic singer, but her most contemporary vocals lack something for me.

I got the same feeling. She nailed all the notes and there's nothing wrong with how she sang it, but her performance lacks... passion? Soul? Enthusiasm? Perhaps it was just the recording though.

I would've tried My Pledge with Laura Macrí instead, I can imagine that it'd sound similar to Floor's version. And Marcela in Follow In The Cry.

Although Marcela's take on My Pledge was very impressive anyway. I liked it!

Excellent find guys. Its awesome seeing different people perform such familiar songs.

I found such a gem on youtube today!! A three song tv clip! I don't know if anyone have seen this, but there has never been a better live version of Beneath aside from this one. Man, this kind of find is like digging up ancient treasure. Incredible.

10 hours ago, Spirit of Whiterun said:

I found such a gem on youtube today!! A three song tv clip! I don't know if anyone have seen this, but there has never been a better live version of Beneath aside from this one. Man, this kind of find is like digging up ancient treasure. Incredible.

Uff... this happened like 3 years ago, IIRC. Here in the forum, someone from the Netherlands gave us the news that a Dutch TV website was uploading some whole episodes of old TV shows, and one of them included this gem for AF fans. It was streamed live, it was during the morning here in this side of the world, I remember that I woke up early just to watch it, and then it was uploaded on the website or that TV's Youtube Channel, I can't recall exactly.

But it was great, I loved it.

Are you sure you weren't here back then? :P

Great performance! My Choice is one of my favourite AF songs, both metal and accoustic versions.

Wow, that was really a gem! Reminded me what an awesome song Beneath is! 

@BakiYes, Beneath is lyrically my favorite song in the discog. The attacking questions hit hard, much like she did later with ReVamp on Sins. Putting the listener in a position to take on the subject by force, to really think. I love it, more of this. May Floor never stop writing songs.

@Damian Perhaps I had missed it somehow, I don't check up here as much as I used to. Did such a high quality recording feel bittersweet when you first saw it? It certainly hit me that way. The idea that it is new to you the viewer, but this is time long gone by. At the very least, epic-quality tv stream material like this pops up and makes up for the lack of DVD concerts.

25 minutes ago, Spirit of Whiterun said:

But did such a high quality recording feel bittersweet when you first saw it?

For sure. All kind of mixed feelings there.

I looked it up with the Search bar and it seems that you saw the news, but you were gone when the links were posted the following days :P Then you respawned some months later haha.

It was actually 4 years ago, maaan, time flies. I'm glad you came across the video.

29 minutes ago, Spirit of Whiterun said:

May Floor never stop writing songs.

Amen brother.

@Damian Its really cool we have a nerdy club of die-hard AF fans here. Its so crazy to be a fan of a band that so few people know about, but was legendary for it's time. Half the reason I pop in is to see whats new in this thread.

That aside, does anyone have a copy of Dreamflight at ProgPower lying around? It got restricted in the US on Youtube by Warner Music Group, but not the rest of the ProgPower clips, which is really strange.

3 minutes ago, Spirit of Whiterun said:

Its so crazy to be a fan of a band that so few people know about, but was legendary for it's time.

You made it sound as if they were a myth. But, yes, they were one of the strongest bands of the symphonic metal world that could actually top Nightwsh back then. I recently read about Panic! At The Disco band bio, and I was wondering what would've happened if Floor had stuck to the band's name and continued making music with other musicians (well, Joost would've stayed too) under the name of After Forever. PATD's vocalist said "why would I change the band's name if I never wanted to leave the band?" - he just collaborated with the songwriting and instrumentation, but he was mainly the lead singer, and the rest of the founding members left the band cause they wanted to, they were never fired. The situation is quite similar. In that hypothetical scenario, I'm not sure what would've happened to Nightwish. Dianne or Marcela stepping in?

She certainly fought with all she could to keep the band together. Though, with no one left to write music it would have been hard keep the sound. I would love to know how willing the other members were to stick it out with Floor, surely there would have been conversations. The explanation as I know it was that the lads collectively did not want carry on after Sander left and the suffering they took from the record label problems.

I wonder if Floor had the option to keep the After Forever name, but I think if she did, she would have let it die without her remaining bandmates to back her up.

I don't think Floor could have kept After Forever going. I mean, there's a reason she started ReVamp instead (which was the right decision anyway imo, given the 2 awesome albums that came out of that).

It's possible though. There's another example: Evanescence. Not exactly the same situation, but it didn't take long for Amy to be the only member left of the band that made "Fallen". Yet the band still exists today, and as the Synthesis tour has proven, they're far from done. Maybe Floor could have pulled off a similar "reform" with After Forever if she had really wanted to, but I think she didn't. I wouldn't have either tbh, in her position.

Of course she might have had her personal reasons for not doing so. Or maybe she couldn't keep the name because that problem with the record label.

Anyway, it's just a mere "what if" question for me. If she had kept the band's name with the guys from ReVamp (inc. Joost), the story would've been completely different and maybe she could've benefit from that.

I don't think Sander would have ever agreed to AF continuing without him. 

Thats also a thing, he co-founded the band and Floor joined later. Does that still count in legal matters? Of course everything here is just fanfiction theories in a way.

I love this cover! And I only just realized that  aside from Damian Wilson, it also features Arjen! Floor shines here!

Uhhh...As far as I know, Sander gave all AF rights to Amanda Somerville. So, there was no chance of Floor going on with that name.