Nocturna

What are you watching?

568 posts in this topic

So this is, as it states, the movie topic! I'm a *huge* movie buff; I go to the cinema about once a week (between that and shoes, no wonder I'm broke!) so I had to open this when I saw it hadn't been done already because...*drumrolls*

I just saw 'My Week with Marilyn' with my friend and cried my eyes out. I know everyone's talking up Meryl Streep for the Oscar this year, and she looks amazing in the Iron Lady, but Michelle Williams was breathtaking in this film. She had Marilyn's insecurity down to her a tee, and her eyes...my life, the woman is just amazing - you saw in her eyes exactly what she was feeling. I have issues with the film in some respects, because it's based on the diaries of a guy who worked on "The Prince and the Showgirl" (also a wonderful film) and I think he might have exaggertated just how close he and Marilyn actually were, but as a film it was just beautiful. The acting performances were astonishing; Kenneth Branagh took a huge risk playing Laurence Oliver because he was a god, but honestly I can't think of anyone better for the role. He was fantabulous. But the film belonged to Michelle Williams; it wasn't a caricature of Marilyn - and no one played the role of MM better than Norma Jean herself - but she was just luminous in this. Sorry Meryl...my vote goes elsewhere this year, I think...

Has anyone else seen it?

I’m sorry to say I haven’t been able to see as many movies as I would have liked to lately. Normally I consider myself a „movie buff” (I blame the Nostalgia Critic), but I dunno... Tbh, there wasn’t really much in 2011 that caught my interest that much. Either I haven’t been watching the right movies, or this was an EXTREMELY weak year for cinema.

There are still two or three titles that I want to see but, if you were to ask me right now, my favorite movie of the year was either DH part 2, or X-Men: First Class, neither of which were that great, and wouldn’t even have made a top 5 last year. I actually am really curious about the Oscar nominations. Which movie is Meryl Streep supposed to be nominated for, because I honestly have no idea.

In any event, next year promises to be a lot stronger, if only because we have Dark Knight Rises coming up. In Nolan we trust!

Yesterday I saw Les Intouchables. It's a French movie, and I hate french movies most of the time, but this was great. More than great. Humour that is black and moving at the same time, a great approach to a difficult and overused subject...I recommend it!

The worst film I watched in years is "Dylan Dog". It was so bad, I had spontaneous outbursts of laughter thought the film. Even the fact that a very hot actor is playing the lead didn't save the day. The story they were trying to tell came out horribly incoherent. dialogs ridiculous and don't even get me started on acting. All in all... fun night. :lol:

Yesterday I saw Les Intouchables. It's a French movie, and I hate french movies most of the time, but this was great. More than great. Humour that is black and moving at the same time, a great approach to a difficult and overused subject...I recommend it!

Yeah, people said it's good, but I can't concentrate on French dialogue for 2 hours straight without subtitles. When the DVDs out I might pick it up

Yeah, people said it's good, but I can't concentrate on French dialogue for 2 hours straight without subtitles. When the DVDs out I might pick it up

Yeah, I suggest you wait too if your French isn't fluent enough, mostly because it has a lot of familiar/vulgar vocabulary and expressions. I watched it with my parents, who speak fluent French but don't know all the "young" talk and they asked me every other minute what they just said...

But you really should watch it on DVD!

I bought few days ago a very good animation movie, Disney's Tangled. It's so hilarious. Frying pans are so useful.. And the horse, Max, is the best character in the movie :rofl: Maybe I'm too old for animations but never too old for a Disney movie...

Has someone seen this movie?

Oh I loved Tangled! It's typical, unrealistic Disney, but it's fun and well-made... Max is totally awesome, I liked him more than words can tell! :giggle: And the song, the song is beautiful!

Yesterday, I discovered that there was a movie made out of the Roald Dahl's book "The Witches". I used to love reading him, I'm definately on the hunt for the movie!

Also yesterday, I saw "Hard Candy" on television. Wow... The entire movie rests on the shoulders of young Ellen Page, she was terrific. She was scary, but some part of me was constantly debating itself whether to be really scared of her, or not, because she looked so innocent. I really enjoyed it...

EDIT: I almost forgot! I also saw How to train your Dragon again last night! I absolutely adore that film! Makes me want to have a pet dragon... Toothless is so amazing, he reminds me of a cat in some way...

Hard Candy was one of those movies that was really difficult to watch, everything about it was so uncomfortable but it was done so well. I hadn't been a fan of Ellen Page (X-Men 3 & Juno just weren't that great), but Hard Candy convinced me to give her another chance.

The most recent newish film I saw was Sucker Punch, apart from HP and the deathly hallows pt 2 which made me thorougly cry my eyes out. Sucker Punch however, was a huge disappointment. lol female empowerment? More like a laundry list of Snyders fantasy fetishes. It's an incredibly dull waste of something potentially enjoyable, though really the whole premise is pretty stupid but it doesn't even amount to stupid fun.

Has anyone here seen Hanna? It looks good and I like Saorise Ronan but I'm hesitant to get it.

I'm interested in Lars von Trier's latest, Melancholia, it sounds a lot more enjoyable than Antichrist which was one of the most disturbing, unsettling and vomit-inducing films I've ever seen. And I am waaaaay excited for Finchers adapation of The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo. The maker and the material are so perfect for each other I already have pretty high expectations, and I'm sure it won't be dissapointing, Rooney Mara looks absolutely incredible as Salander. And the Swedish films, while the first two were good, weren't really anything worth salivating over. So I hope Fincher does something different, and from the sounds of it he definitely is.

I wish I had more time + $$ to watch movies. I haven't been to the cinema in... god it must be over a year. I really want to go. :( :(

Hanna was brilliant. Saiorse Ronan is just incredible in that film - I must admit I only saw it cuz I'm a sucker for Eric Bana (boy, have I sat through some crap just because he's in it...) but I was really glad I did because it was just fantastic! Loved the premise, loved the way it was shot and the whole thing was just amazingly acted. So yes, I recommend it!

I just saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - the Swedish version - and I loved it. I love those sort of murder mystery/thriller type of movies, but only when they're well done; it seems like most of the ones that get made here are based on some airport author's novels. What really made it stand out for me were two things, basically: the fact that this sort of movie with these sorts of characters would never get made in Hollywood (at least, not until proven to be highly popular and successful; then they'll make their own versionpost84125168357274.gif), and the setting. I loved the setting. The island and the atmosphere were just perfect: creepy, isolated and beautiful. I'm going to see the American version when it comes out to compare.

I watched The Girl Who Played With Fire afterwards, and I didn't like it nearly as much. The plot was far less intriguing and the loss of the island as a setting really changed the overall atmosphere.

I am such a glutton for punishment, out of my loyalty I've sat through three Transformers films despite knowing their flaws... Each one makes me want to beat the poop out of Michael Bay even more. I KNOW I should've learnt my lesson but I kept going back. The worst part is, the plots and stories aren't THAT bad, there's too much stupid crap in there that leaves you swearing and rolling your eyes and making you want to smash the poop out of your generation one Optimus Prime toy.

Can I just say... If that really is the end as per the plan.... Worst ending to a series ever... I'm not expecting great Shakespearean drama and shouldn't be in such agony but... It SHOULD have been so much better :'(

Something I'd forgotten to mention here... I've never heard an English person with a more fake English accent than Rosie Huntington-Whiteley

Since it's Oscar season there are actually some movies coming out soon that I really want to see!:o Girl With Dragon Tattoo, Young Adult, Sherlock Holmes, Tintin, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Artist, Shame, possibly that Margaret Thatcher movie... it's a lot, but it's making up for the months where not a single new release interested me. I saw the Muppets movie in theaters last month and I liked it a lot, but I think the last thing I saw in theaters before that was Bridesmaids... so yay, good movies. :yahoo:

Wohoo, I saw Fincher's adaptation of The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo! Yesterday. :D

First up, it was bloody fantastic. It's a better film than the Swedish version. The narrative is more structured, it flows much more nicely, it is not rushed, conversations felt more natural. And, to my immense surprise, it is truer to the book than the Swedish film is. I was particularly pleased with the way it ended, which is exactly as the book does. Things are simplified of course, and things are left out and one big thing is changed, that concerns Harriet, but it's not bothersome at all. They work is all in very nicely.

And I have to mention, the soundtrack is absolutely top notch and the opening credit sequence is mesmerizing. Mr. Renzor and his collaborators do a very good job.

Rooney Mara is stunning. Mara's Lisbeth is gentler, more pensieve, more reserved, and has that dim aura of girlishness and vulnerability around her that I perceive in the books. She also brings out Lisbeth's apparent autistic-ness with brilliance, in a way Rapace did not, greatly contributed to by her hauntingly thin body and alienish appearance. Both of which are greatly elaborated in the book, and which aren't remarked upon in the least in the Swedish film. Mara certainly inhabits Lisbeth in a way Rapace never did. I am pleased she's been nominated for an oscar... even though it seems a bit odd. I greatly enjoyed Daniel Craig as Blomkvist, he fills out the role very well, but the other exceptional casting for me was Christopher Plummer as Henrik Vanger. Gah, he was just brilliant.

Now again, believe me I am surprised, the film is not only better made but more loyal to the books! I couldn't believe it at first tbh. I love foreign cinema and usually rankle at the thought of america doing a remake but this is by no means that. It is a very well done re-adaptation. Important plot points that are either completely missed or terribly glossed over in the original are present and well done here, the pacing is absolutely fantastic, it's more robust and just all around awesome. Seriously, this is the first time I've ever said this about an american version but it's completely true. O.o

tbh, I feel Empire were in fact completely correct in saying that this was the film Larssons novel deserved all along. Hopefully I can get the other two books sometime.

Bunraku-Color me surprised. The plot's been done a million times before, but the way its told is extremely creative. I generally don't care for Josh Hartnett as a lead, but he's good here. The closest thing I can compare it to is Kung Fu Hustle. It's up for streaming on Netflix if there are any members here.

Also, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is incredible. It's a shame all the review blurbs on the DVD cover seem to focus on the visuals, because there's a real story here, and John Lithgow is awesome as always. As for those wondering about all the praises heaped upon Serkis for playing a chimp: well, it IS Caesar's story after all.

"Troll Hunter" directed by Andre Ovredal, I have wanted this film for ages!! and it was worth the wait. Comes in a slip case with a hologram :sunny: it is about a group of students who go in pursuit of the troll hunter, it is shot like a documentary. Visually it is very good the trolls look believable and brings the story telling to life, I really like this film!!

"The Invasion" directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, based on the Jack Finney novel "The Body Snatchers" a little confusing at first lots of flash back which got me lost :scratchhead: But it turns out to be a pretty good film lots of suspence and drama along the way.

"The Way Back" directed by Peter Weir, based on the book "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Ravicz about a group of prisoners that escape a Gulag in Siberia and their four thousand mile journey across Siberia,Mongolia, Indai and China. It shows the hardship the people go through to get free, the cinematography is very good this also stars Saoirse Ronan.

"The Invasion" directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, based on the Jack Finney novel "The Body Snatchers" a little confusing at first lots of flash back which got me lost :scratchhead: But it turns out to be a pretty good film lots of suspence and drama along the way.

Meh, I can't get excited over a movie that has been remade time and time again.

Meh, I can't get excited over a movie that has been remade time and time again.

It is the only one I have seen so far :giggle:

Was watching "Season of The Witch" with my sister and brother. It's generally an enjoyable movie, but the plot's quite simple for my taste :). Anyways, Nicolas Cage made it worth watching.

Just don't make the mistake of watching the older one with the same title. From what I understand, George Romero was under the studio's thumb, and it shows.