Devious Mischievous

Devin Townsend

84 posts in this topic

If you couldn't tell by the tags I created for this thread, I absolutely adore Devin Townsend. :wub: I discovered him through the previous Nightwish forum almost two years ago when some of the forum members raved about the album Addicted. Los had me listen to it on Spotify, and I instantly became...well, addicted!

(Well, I must say that I knew "Love" by Strapping Young Lad, but it was so overplayed on Sirius Hard Attack radio when it came out that it annoyed me. Now I know that I was wrong to think that way about such an awesome song! :P I also gave Devin some pretty high ratings when we had a Harsh Metal Vocalist competition on the old forum. Just from listening to three songs, I knew he was a very talented vocalist).

If you listen to one album (or even one song!) and don't think it's your cup of tea, don't stop there! Devin makes a variety of music, from progressive metal, to extreme metal, to ambient music...seriously, he's dabbled in a lot of things.

I own Ocean Machine, Infinity, Terria, Physicist (which I'm actually not very fond of....it's too thrash-oriented for my taste), Accelerated Evolution, Synchestra, Ziltoid, Ki, Addicted, Deconstruction, Ghost, and an Unplugged album. And soon, I'll be the proud owner of a limited edition Devin Townsend Project box-set! :D As far as Strapping Young Lad albums, I only own Alien and The New Black.

I've seen him live three times: once in Seattle on 10/9/10 (which was undoubtedly the best thing about the trip - Los and I had the misfortune of getting hit by a car while standing on the sidewalk a day later!), once in Colorado Springs on 10/21/11 (I went VIP for that show), and again in Denver on 10/22/11. Devin is an amazing performer, and even if you're not the biggest fan of his music, you're likely to enjoy his live show. So if you get a chance to see him, do it! Also, for anyone interested, here's my latest blog entry about the last two times I saw him live: http://dementia-divi...send-experience

Not only is Devin an amazing musician, he's also a great human being. I don't think I've ever met such a down to earth musician.

Okay, I think I've done enough fangirling for now. DISCUSS.

Well, I was kinda dismissive of Devin Townsend at first. I was never a fan of Strapping Young Lad, and I really didn't find anything about Addicted which had any particular appeal to me. So when I was forcibly taken to not one but two Devin Townsend shows, I sort of expected that maybe he'd put on a good stage show, I wouldn't give a ***** for the music, and that would be that. And I really hate changing my mind, so damn those people who took me to those shows, but I've really gotta buy Deconstruction now.

Yeeeeaaaaasss! *to be read in Ziltoid's voice* Or at least listen to it on Spotify, and then let me know what you think of it!

My favorite songs from Deconstruction are Juular, Sumeria, The Mighty Masturbator, Deconstruction, and Poltergeist. If I could squeeze in another favorite from that album, it would probably be "Stand," which he played lived when we saw him. My least favorite song on the album is "Pandemic," but I really don't think any of the songs on this album are bad. "Poltergeist" is absolutely amazing, and I would have loved to hear it live (Yappo, you are so lucky for having witnessed that!). It's such an empowering song - probably my song of the year, unless something changes between now and the end of the month!

Well, I haven't listened to the album all the way through, but I've heard enough to know I want the album. Even if what I expected had turned out to be the case, they were still great shows. He seems to have fun up there, he pays attention to the audience and interacts with them... either way, it would've been a fun experience.

Although I'm still kinda pissed at him for getting that Venga Boys song stuck in my head.

Devin Townsend... *Ziltoid voice* Yeeeass, Indeeeed! He is bloody brilliant, and indeed I was lucky enough to see his Deconstruction show... but I'm not THAT fond of Poltergeist, the only bit I really love is the epic bit towards the end with the triplet strings ostinato just before the "glory to the brave" bit. My favorites are Juular, Sumeria, and Masturbator. I really love his old stuff too, there's some real gems in there, like Life, which is just the best pop-metal song ever, Bad Devil with its twisted bluesyness, Vampira which is silly and awesome... OH and I'm going to his "Retinal Circus" show in London next October, which he's got some huge things planned for, gonna be epicsausage :D. Devy are you going to that or not?

I love Devin Townsend! I never checked out Strapping Young Lad, though, despite the fact I've been meaning to. Maybe I should get round to that at somepoint. Favourite albums in no order: Ghost, Addicted!, Deconstruction and Ziltoid the Omniscient. Ghost is easily one of the most beautiful albums ever made. :wub:

I'm really hoping to go to his "Retinal Circus" show in London next October. I haven't managed to see him live yet unfortunately. :(

is the guy Floor Jansen's boyfriend ? I heard that rumor, Floor was a guest vocal in on track!

Recommend me their best songs, I want to check them out!

Devin is indeed married, and I have no idea on Floor's love life.

That's like saying he's gay for Paul Masvidal because Paul did guest vocals on one Deconstruction track.

Devin is indeed married, and I have no idea on Floor's love life.

That's like saying he's gay for Paul Masvidal because Paul did guest vocals on one Deconstruction track.

this didnt come because she did guest vocals,

Hmm I don't think I completely agree with the topic tags (underrated, I mean), everyone (in the metal scene) seems to be hugely loving Devin right now. And quite rightly. He is an intensely talented ....mmmmINDIVIDUAL!

I've met plenty of Devin-haters. They make me rage hard, but they can outnumber the fans on certain forums (Metal Archives, I'm looking at you).

The fans are just really loud, and for a good cause.

Devin Townsend... *Ziltoid voice* Yeeeass, Indeeeed! He is bloody brilliant, and indeed I was lucky enough to see his Deconstruction show... but I'm not THAT fond of Poltergeist, the only bit I really love is the epic bit towards the end with the triplet strings ostinato just before the "glory to the brave" bit. My favorites are Juular, Sumeria, and Masturbator. I really love his old stuff too, there's some real gems in there, like Life, which is just the best pop-metal song ever, Bad Devil with its twisted bluesyness, Vampira which is silly and awesome... OH and I'm going to his "Retinal Circus" show in London next October, which he's got some huge things planned for, gonna be epicsausage biggrin.png. Devy are you going to that or not?

I think what I love so much about "Poltergeist" is the lyrics. They're just so friggin' empowering. I love the "I am right here, and I am not frightened! Are we clear? You will never come 'round! You will not be welcome! You will not! You have been vanquished, now go! I've conquered my soul! Vanquished, now go! Exorcise yourself! And STAND for what you TRULY believe in!" and the part immediately after it is my favorite part of the song, although I adore the part you described as well, and the "Staaaaaaaaaaand!" at the end is just perfect!

"Bad Devil" is such an amazing song, and I wish I could find more songs like that. It seems that swing and metal make an awesome combination.

I haven't decided if I'm going to get tickets or not for The Retinal Circus show in London. I mean, I really, really want to go, but on the other hand, I don't know if I'd be able to save up the money, and I'd hate to get the tickets already and get my hopes up. :P I'm still considering it. Plus, I'm wondering if it will be all standing or if there will be reserved seating as well?

I'm really hoping to go to his "Retinal Circus" show in London next October. I haven't managed to see him live yet unfortunately. sad.png

You really need to see him live next time you get a chance! He's a great performer.

is the guy Floor Jansen's boyfriend ? I heard that rumor, Floor was a guest vocal in on track!

Recommend me their best songs, I want to check them out!

No, he is not. Devin is married and he and Tracy have a son.

There are a lot of songs that I could recommend, but I'm just going to say...listen to the entire Ziltoid album! (And listen to the song "Earth Day" from Terria).

Metal Archives

There's a whole lot of better forums out there. I made the mistake of registering there once. Too many Johnny-Come-Lately sorts... kids who one day download the whole Immortal discography and suddenly they're the most evil thing since evil itself, the constant "why isn't Korn/Slipknot/Limp Bizkit/random-nücrap band on the list?", etc., etc., etc. As far as music forums go, that one and doom-menstrual.com are the biggest wastes of space on the world wide interwebz.

Well, I love the Archives. It's been my favourite metal site since 2008, and I review there from time to time. The sort of reputation it has that you spoke of is, well, pretty false. Most of the members are over 18 and long time metal fans. Those who want to see nu-metal on the site generally don't last long (not banned, but they don't really come back once they realize that we're pretty serious about what goes in).

it has its flaws, but I wouldn't call it the worst site for metal. In terms of completeness of information, they're probably the best.

The site itself is good, but I've found the forums utterly worthless. It's also been some time since I've been there, so maybe something's changed. All the same, I'll keep my reservations.

I'm not a regular on the forums. I find flaws with their community, but they're definitely different from yours. They're definitely very exclusive, and even misogynist at times. It's hard to really develop a voice that can fit in and get listened to by the community on the forums, which is why I posted more here in two days than I have in a lifetime there.

Them being misogynists is nothing new. Last time I was there, it was largely a bunch of teenagers who had just barely gotten their feet wet, yet felt like they were in a position to declare someone "unmetal" who'd been into Metal since before these ***** were even born. Especially when most of them didn't even understand the very basics of Metal themselves. Black Metal fanboys were the worst of them all. So, if things have changed since then, great. But I've already given up on that forum a long time ago.

Different strokes for different folks. Back on topic.

No love for Ocean Machine here? That was by far Devin's best side project, even his best project ever. I miss it dearly.

I was gonna say... I love Ocean Machine, I love how uplifting it is and I love how much it reminds me of 90s alternative. Getting to hear Life live was breathtaking. I almost cried.

Ocean Machine is amazing. It also reminds me of 90s alternative somewhat - but so much better! My favorite songs from that album are Seventh Wave, Life, Hide Nowhere, Voices in the Fan, Regulator, and The Death of Music.

Also, the acoustic version of "Funeral" that he did on his Unplugged album is even better than the album version of the song, in my opinion.

Glad to see I'm not alone. Along with Alien by Strapping Young lad, I feel that Ocean Machine has changed my life and outlook on music.

Speaking of Alien, I find "Info Dump" to be the best song on the album. No lie. It is a moving piece of noise, assaulting your mind but making you realize your own sanity. At least you're not Devin Townsend when he's off his meds.

It is, but at least the general opinion is that The New Black was still a solid album. It's not being a Metallica fan that prefers St. Anger to Ride the Lightning or something truly egregious like that.

Most fans would balk at anyone who would place any SYL album above City. Thankfully, City deserves all its praise. It's Devin at his most extreme, though not quite at his most insane. Alien and Deconstruction are the prime examples of his insanity.