angel_heart

Blind Guardian

73 posts in this topic

Blind Guardian is a symphonic power metal band born in 1984 in Germany.

Current members

- Hansi Kursch - lead vocals

- Andre Olbrich - lead guitar, backing vocals

- Marcus Siepen - rhythm guitar, backing vocals

- Frederik Ehmke - drums, percussion, flute, bagpipes

Discography

- Battalions of fear (1988)

- Follow the blind (1989)

- Tales from the Twilight World (1990)

- Somewhere far beyond (1992)

- Imaginations from the Other Side (1995)

- Nightfall in Middle Earth (1998)

- A night at the opera (2002)

- A twist in the myth (2006)

- At the edge of time (2010)

BlindGuardiantypen.jpg

I've just started listening to them, and Blind Guardian have really grown on me since the first time I heard their music. Hansi's vocals used to put me off, but I really like his voice now--it's something different than I usually listen to.

At the Edge of Time and A Twist In the Myth are the only albums I've listened to all the way through, the former being one of my favorite albums. I'm not sure which to listen to next, since their first few albums didn't sound good at all to me.

Hansi has one of the most amazing voices in the world. I was a bit put off by his aggressive singing at first, but now I love him to death, there are not enough superlatives in the world to describe how awesome he is. And he also seems really nice and modest, he has that gentle look and he's so sweet and genuine in his performance, he's lovable. Yes, I'm a huge Hansi fangirl, he simply rocks. And I love what he's done with Demons and Wizards and with Ayreon as well and with Van Canto. It's like every song he touches turns into gold.

@Aurenfaie: If you liked "At the Edge of Time" there's a good chance you'll like "Nightfall in Middle Earth", the vocal style is similar, different but more clean then on "Imaginations from the other Side". "Imaginations from the other Side" on the other hand is still praised as one of the best if not THE best Blind Guardian album. It is an amazing album, but the vocal style may take some getting used to it, even if you like Hansi on the newer albums.

Don't pay attention to the first two albums, they suck, especially the second, Hansi sounds terrible on that album. I like everything from "Tales from the Twilight World" onwards. If you liked the vocal style on "At the Edge of Time" then "A Night at the Opera" may also be for you. I mean you should check that album out anyway because "And then there was silence" is the best song of its kind ever written :)

In order to check out next I recommend:

Nightfall in Middle Earth

Imaginations from the Other Side

A Night at The Opera

@Aurenfaie: If you liked "At the Edge of Time" there's a good chance you'll like "Nightfall in Middle Earth", the vocal style is similar, different but more clean then on "Imaginations from the other Side". "Imaginations from the other Side" on the other hand is still praised as one of the best if not THE best Blind Guardian album. It is an amazing album, but the vocal style may take some getting used to it, even if you like Hansi on the newer albums.

Don't pay attention to the first two albums, they suck, especially the second, Hansi sounds terrible on that album. I like everything from "Tales from the Twilight World" onwards. If you liked the vocal style on "At the Edge of Time" then "A Night at the Opera" may also be for you. I mean you should check that album out anyway because "And then there was silence" is the best song of its kind ever written :)

In order to check out next I recommend:

Nightfall in Middle Earth

Imaginations from the Other Side

A Night at The Opera

Don't forget " Somewhere far beyond" and "Tales from the Twilight World". Not as epic as "Imaginations....", or "At the Edge of time" but very good albums. :)

I've only listened to Nightfall In Middle Earth so far, but it's one of the best albums I've EVER heard. It being all about the Silmarillion doesn't exactly hurt its chances of being great, but even besides that the music is SO good.

Ah, Blind Guardian! Probably one of my favourite bands, and, of course, Hansi Kursch is where I direct the vast majority of my fangirlism. He is an amazing vocalist, I have yet to hear ANY vocalist who comes close to being as awesome, IMO.

So - next year there will be a new Blind Guardian album too... And single "Twilight of the Gods" coming out in Dec 5.

It seems it will be a hard thing to chose "Album of the Year 2015" - Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Symphony X... 

^ I don't like this album cover at all... urgh. That's a huge disappointment! But I'm sure the music itself will be quality as always. I bought tickets for one of their shows next year. I've never seen them before so I'm really looking forward to it!

^ I don't like this album cover at all... urgh. 

Agree... It looks like a game cover :/

Anyway, I'm super excited for the album - Blind Guardian is my all time favourite band (yeah, that's right - Nightwish come after them :ph34r:) and I can't name a single album I don't like from the bards, even if they sound different in each record...

Now as I think of it - exactly because they sound different in each record  :)

Who cares about the cover, time can't pass quick enough until the album is out!

And they are great live, the feeling of listening The bard song sung by thousands of voices is incredible!

I care! :D
Of course the music is what counts the most but for a collector like me the album artwork is an important part of the whole package. The cover is not terrible or anything, it's just generic for BG. My favourite is the one for their live album. 

What happened to the announced orchestra album? Will this ever see the light of day?
EDIT: ok, I realized this probably is the orchestra album I was talking about, sorry ;)

I care! :D

Of course the music is what counts the most but for a collector like me the album artwork is an important part of the whole package. 

In terms of non fitting with the music album cover, nothing will come close their "A Night at the Opera" one :D.

Still can't stop laughing when I see it (and the back cover of their DVD with Legolas buying tickets for BG concert), no matter how much I love the album

21.jpg

^ nice trailer!

"we could put a melody in there, that overlaps with the other one..." - that's the best way to describe a BG song :D
I have a feeling 2015 will be a very good year.

... Aaaand here is the lyric video for the first single

It is good but I must admit I liked "A Voice in the Dark" better.

the song is really good, the sound is "meh". I hope it's just a youtube thing but I have a feeling it's not. I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of their producer  Charlie Bauerfeind.

EDIT: apparently the youtube version is a low bitrate mono mix. I streamed it on spotify and it sounds a lot better but still not really my cup of tea. A typical Bauerfeind mix and I will get used it as always. Maybe it's just my weird taste but I think these bombastic songs deserve a better sound!

Ah, typical Blind Guardian without becoming repetitive, what more can you ask? I'm pleased with the result and looking forward to the epic of the album, lately all their epics have been true masterpieces.

The new album is amazing, on par with my favourite Nightfall in Middle Earth. At the moment I enjoy Ninth Wave and Throne the most.

I listened the album more than once but still can't deside weither I like it or not. I guess it has too much orchestrations and less memorable at first listen songs than the previous one. 

For now I like the best - Ninth Wave, The Throne (which for me sounds like the logical continuation of Wheel of Time), The Holy Grail and At The Edge of Time - mainly because the orchestrations here don't have that soundtrack vibe many bands use but sound more like real classical piece... 

Deffinatly needs few more listenes. I remember having the same problem with Nightfall in Middle Earth and A Night at the Opera and now they are two of my favourite ever albums. 

I listened the album more than once but still can't deside weither I like it or not. I guess it has too much orchestrations and less memorable at first listen songs than the previous one. 

For now I like the best - Ninth Wave, The Throne (which for me sounds like the logical continuation of Wheel of Time), The Holy Grail and At The Edge of Time - mainly because the orchestrations here don't have that soundtrack vibe many bands use but sound more like real classical piece... 

Deffinatly needs few more listenes. I remember having the same problem with Nightfall in Middle Earth and A Night at the Opera and now they are two of my favourite ever albums. 

Yeah it definitely demands quite a few listenings with all the stuff going on, and I does get better with every listen, at least that is the case with me.

wow, what an amazing album! the only thing I still don't like is the production but that was to be expected. I'm just not a big fan of the typical Charlie Bauerfeind sound we can hear on the last couple of Guardian records. Doesn't matter if it's Blind Guardian or some other band he produces, it's usually not my thing but after a while I get used to it.

Top-notch songwriting. I think they have outdone themselvs again and I agree with Nejcpet that this one could end up on the top of my BG list together with Nightfall one day. It's probably still a little bit early to tell.