Sign in to follow this  
Nienor

Conception

76 posts in this topic

The band was formed in Norway in 1989 by guitarist Tore Østby, singer Dag Østby, drummer tWerner Skogli and bassist [Freddy Samsonstuen. In 1990, after a demo tape, Arve Heimdal replaced Werner Skogli and Ingar Amlien replaced Freddy Samsonstuen. A year later, Dag Østby quit, and the band was forced to search for a new vocalist. After many auditions, the band hooked up with Roy Khan

To record their first album, The Last Sunset, they formed their own record label, CSF Records. However, after talks and negotiations, Conception signed with Noise Records in 1993 and recorded their second album Parallel Minds. In 1995, they released their third album, In Your Multitude  and their fourth and final album, Flow, in 1997.

Their somewhat short-lived career (the band disbanded in 1997-8) was characterized by a unique sound in the power/progressive metal genre (which was slightly altered with their last studio release, Flow), notable for Østby's occasional integration of elements of flamenco (which he would continue in his later work with Ark) and Khan's unique vocals.

It's a shame they disbanded. <_<

What do you think about them?

Came here via Eilenna's artist index. 

I really like them! Their music was very creative and original. The lyrics are great. There's some surprisingly mature stuff on Parallel Minds and I like the perspective from which the lyrics generally are written. Roy's vocals were great as well. Sometimes the constant high notes on Parallel Minds go onto my nerves though. 

I've been fortunate enough to catch all four albums on amazon (even Flow) at reasonable prince. I would say The Last Sunset is my least favourite. It's not mature enough and you clearly notice that Roy didn't write the lyrics, except on the title track which is the only song I listen to from the debut. The following three albums are much better, much more mature and with much better lyrics. In Your Multitude is proably my favourite, with Parallel Minds following closely. I feel In Your Multitude is the most diverse albums and the one I enjoy the most.

And it's really a shame that they disbanded :( They had such a great, unique style and I wished they would have released more albums than just these four which isn't much and doesn't feel enough.

It's a great band, their music is so interesting and I love Roy's vocal performance, I find it better than what he did in Kamelot. Darker and more mature music suits him very well.

I'm especially in love with Among the gods.

Yup, Among the Gods is their Magnum opus :)

And as we are on Roy's performences in Conception, here's one very good live recording from 1993

I'm having a hear attack rn

Go and like their FB page conceptionmusi2

I have, for the first time in my life, contributed to a crowdfunding campaign now. :P
Can't wait until my signed EP gets here!
:D 

OMGOMGOMGOMG I'm so excited!!! With Kamelot's new album being a disappointment, this is just great news!

8 hours ago, Werewolf said:

I have, for the first time in my life, contributed to a crowdfunding campaign now. :P
Can't wait until my signed EP gets here!
:D

I got a signed EP too! Hands down, I'll help these guys, being a fan of them and Roy. Seems like some things are already sold out on there, too. In one year, we get new Kamelot, Seventh Wonder, and Conception music with a Roy Khan come-back, this is amazing.

Ever since I got to know Conception in early 2014, I wanted them to reform. Their last three albums are all fantastic, and it didn't seem like they ran out of creativity at all. However, I thought that a reforming was close to impossible with Roy being retired from music business. Now that they are back and Roy as well, these are fantastic news! I'm so excited :yahoo:I already pre-ordered the signed EP and the download of the single. So excited for when the EP and the single will drop!

I admit I've heard my first Conception songs, like, a month ago, but they sounded great. This reunion is such a great news <3

But I wasn't happy with PledgeMusic last time I bought a record there, I'm not sure if the fault was on the artist's team or on them or both, but whatever, here's my money, Roy. Too bad the lyric sheets are already gone :,(

Let us now admire the questionable fashion of Conception a couple decades ago -

This is an incredible performance, but...well, it looks like Khan is about to drop the hottest rap album of 1995. :P

I prefer his style in Kamelot! He looks weird here!! The song is nice!!

I find the fact that Roy likes the last few Kamelot albums and Tommy's singing strangely heartwarming.  It's always good when there's no bad blood after a member leaves!

2 hours ago, Werewolf said:

I find the fact that Roy likes the last few Kamelot albums and Tommy's singing strangely heartwarming.  It's always good when there's no bad blood after a member leaves!

Same here, I always felt like he'd appreciate Tommy and it's nice knowing Roy still likes Kamelot. What he said about his story being too long and weird for an interview, and how difficult it was to leave Kamelot, just leaves the situation more mysterious! But the new Conception music will be awesome, especially since it seems it'll still possess Roy's amazing lyrical themes.

He's so nice <3 He made a brave choice by leaving Kamelot, but looks like it was just for the best. I'm very happy he's back in business!

Yeaaaah! I really don't know if Conception will be my cup of tea, but I'm still very curious to hear what they've got.

9 minutes ago, Calinn said:

eaaaah! I really don't know if Conception will be my cup of tea, but I'm still very curious to hear what they've got.

Same here!

It's going to be interesting to hear how they sound like more than 20 years after their last album.  I splurged during their crowdfunding campaign, so I'll be getting the both download and the signed CD. I think that the single and the signed EP will get a special place in my collection. 

Finally! I missed this guy's voice so much...

Thanks Antichrist(?) or whatever made him spend his time and efforts in this new record and the future full length album.