Sign in to follow this  
Nienor

Conception

75 posts in this topic

I'm in love with My dark symphony, it's perfect. First and foremost there's Roy who simply shines in that track, but there's also that gloomy slow melody and such a penetrating atmosphere. Did I mention there's Roy? I'm so happy he's back and he sounds like he hasn't missed a beat.

Why every time they post some piece of video on social media I feel like a highschool girl, excited for the updates but sad because I can't go to Norway to see them play? I'm 32, FFS. They're so cute AND THEY DO MUSIC SO GOOD.

I live in the USA, so I know how you feel - I'll probably never get an opportunity to see them, unless they play...say, ProgPower USA again.  Even then, that's all the way on the other side of the country and I'd have to fly out and I dunno if I can do that if this were to happen!  Well, maybe someday. :P

1 hour ago, Werewolf said:

ProgPower USA again.

I'd definitly go there, because it's more likely that they play there instead of touring over South America.

21 hours ago, Damian said:

I'd definitly go there, because it's more likely that they play there instead of touring over South America.

Same, since I'm lucky enough to live in the Atlanta area. But whether I'd be able to snag those Progpower tickets in time if they DO go there is another story. I've never been to Progpower before and I hear they sell out fast. 

Resurrecting this thread because it's celebration time: Khan is back on stage for the first time in almost 10 years! We've been blessed with the full show in Gjøvik uploaded on Youtube. Remember that posting full concerts in this forum is not allowed, but we can discuss about of course.

This is Grand Again with the whole intro of the show.

Well, considering this age and what those shows meant to many, it's actually a great thing there's full bootlegs around! I so wish I could fly to Norway. I don't hope they'll ever come close to Italy, Kamelot barely did... but Conception is definitely one of the bands I want to see live before I die.

Wish I could teleport to Spain

Don't tell me about it...

Conception are one of my favorite bands right now, and most certainly one I'm most excidetly waiting for any form of news from. I only got into Kamelot after Roy already left, but really fell in love with all their stuff from 4th Legacy to Poetry for the Poisened and always regretted not knowing about them sooner (and never seeing them live). Conception are very different, but I really love them too - Flow is probably my fave from the old albums, and the new EP + Feather moves are amazing too. They have such a unique style, very melodic, atmospheric, they are willing to experiment but their songs sound very whole. Hopefully we'll really get a full length album and even a tour in the future!

In case some of you didn't catch it yet, there are a few videos from their 3rd gig (at Karmøgeddon Festival) on youtube too - and the improvements on all fronts are very obvious. Here's the Opening + Grand Again:

The way Roy sings the "under whatever name I am" part is giving me goosebumps. There's a loooooot of comments about his singing right now, including a few about him regressing a lot, but I honestly can't hear it. He still struggles a bit with some of the older songs (like Roll the fire), but those were written for him 20+ years ago and his voice has changed quite a bit - that'll just take time. Plus, the man has been gone for so long and said himself he barely sang for 7+ years - kinda normal if he isn't exactly in prime form right now. Whatever smaller issues there are will IMO improve once he's just had more practice again. But it's the internet I guess :dunno:

Besides his voice, I really missed Roys lyrics too. Does anybody else feel like "Quite alright" is about Roy leaving Kamelot? She = Kamelot; the lyrics even change to "They're doing quite alright without me" at the end. The whole second verse ("I know time is going to heal your soul, she prayed.Try to lay it down and think it over again. But my heart came undone so long ago") sounds like Kamelot reacting to him telling them he wants to leave - saying maybe it'll just take a bit of rest, a break and he'll be fine again. But Roy knew it wouldn't work like that - like he said in an interview. Even this part: "Even cold winter days come bright" gives me that feeling, given that "Cold winter night" was such an often used phrase in Kamelot, with their live DVD even named like that. Like his time in Kamelot is the winter night, and the time after he left the day. And thinking like that, the brigde is downright heart breaking. "Don't waste your better days, head away from me" & "Either way there's conflict, loss and pain", like Roy felt he was in such a bad state he couldn't have been a valuable and supportive member of the band anyway, and he would have weighted them down with his problems, so that they're better of without him. That all is to say, this song makes me a bit emotional ^^"

(PS: Sorry for the wall of text ^^")

Never thought of "Quite Alright" that way. Makes lot of sense.

At one point I think I tought it was about Kamelot too, exactly because of that last "they're doing quite alright without me". 

I have to admit I dearly missed Roy's lyrics as well. I listened to Kamelot's old stuff the other day, and you can clearly notice a difference lyrics-wise with the new stuff. One reason why I get fed up fairly quickly with Kamelot's latest albums is the cheesy lyrics. I like the music, I love Tommy, but lyrics-wise, nothing quite stands out anymore (the lyrics of "Amnesia" and "Insomnia" make me cringe >.<). I'm so glad Roy is back to writing lyrics again even if it's for a different band!

Also, about his singing, he wasn't doing really well live in the latest years of Kamelot either. There are live recordings from 2009-2011 where his voice cracks. I'm not sure what happened, but I don't think he'll ever go back to the level he had in the live DVD he did with Kamelot in "One Cold Winter Night". I think he might have damaged it somehow due to the intense touring with Kamelot in the later years. I don't know.

Also, and that's just me being entirely shallow, I miss Roy with hair. He looks a little like a monk with his shaved head! xD

1 hour ago, Leila23 said:

I miss Roy with hair. He looks a little like a monk with his shaved head! xD

Lol, yeah! But he's cute! :D

4 hours ago, Leila23 said:

Also, about his singing, he wasn't doing really well live in the latest years of Kamelot either. There are live recordings from 2009-2011 where his voice cracks. I'm not sure what happened, but I don't think he'll ever go back to the level he had in the live DVD he did with Kamelot in "One Cold Winter Night". I think he might have damaged it somehow due to the intense touring with Kamelot in the later years. I don't know.

Well, he's been out of practice for a couple of years. So I guess that's a true fact, he won't be able to sing like back then. Still, I can hear his voice colour as bright as before. That's what I like the most about him. And his songwriting, ofc.

4 hours ago, Leila23 said:

Also, and that's just me being entirely shallow, I miss Roy with hair. He looks a little like a monk with his shaved head! xD

Yeah, the shaved head with that outfit doesn't suit him, imo. He should wear a black shirt and leather jeans as in Kamelot. The robe used to look good on him when he was younger

1506927_10151885069804033_632235003_n.jp

Roy clearly had vocal troubles at the end of his Kamelot days, you don't even need live recordings, it's already noticeable on the Ghost Opera CD (it's hard to tell with Roy because he seems to downright use strain on purpose some times, but it's arguably already there a bit on the Coldest Winters Night DVD I think). Might have been voice fatigue simply from overuse, which happens to a lot of singers. But AFAIK it can happen to different extents - you might shot your voice down completely, or you might recover. Personally I don't think Roy damaged his voice that much, if only for that video of him singing A Sailorman's Hymn at a wedding not that long after leaving Kamelot. And he sounds amazing in that.

IMO, he also seems to be taking more risks again then he did in GO or PftP, and he always gave me an impression of being very well aware of his state and potential problems, so I'd think Roy considers himself in better shape now too :)

As for his current style, I have a hard time seeing past and current Roy as the same person even - he looks so different. But I like the current style, shaved head and all, and I love the skirt 😁

I think he damaged his voice all through his career, and the effects showed up just after The Black Halo (one reason I didn't immediately like Ghost Opera was his voice). The way he sang in early Conception was very cool but not very healthy, I guess. Raspy vocals = unhealthy. Then, as @Junasaid, I think that he strained his voice to achieve dramatic effects, and that's unfortunately something I see happening a lot with singers that put expressiveness too much before a healthy technique (still, I greatly appreciate the sacrifice). I think of Bjork, Tori Amos and all those singers whose voice deteriorated dramatically after their 40s. You don't go back from that kind of damage, unfortunately, but Roy has such a fantastic tone that I'd listen to him sing literally anything.
About his look, I was thinking the other day... he still looks badass. He is indeed a pretty man with a lot of charisma, even if we're all prettier when we're younger.

There's a new pledge campaign for a new album, planned for early 2020! It seems the fans crashed the system with "too much" response shortly after the start so it didn't work for a while 😂

I'm glad they're doing this again - and I decided to get a lyrics sheet this time, I do love Roy's lyrics too much. 2020 looks even more exciting now! 

Edit:

Guess who Roy ran into at Rock the Coast:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2458901730837275&amp;id=193600967367374&amp;ref=m_notif&amp;notif_t=group_activity

They apparently posed together for pictures too, Avre took them. That's just cute and warms my heart 😍

Do you think the pledge platform is safe? It has no FAQ, very little privacy policy explained (it's like 'hey, trust us') and doesn't accept paypal. It's a very bare website and IDK, where's their shipping and refund policies? If I have to put my CC number in there, I want it to be safe.

8 hours ago, Calinn said:

Do you think the pledge platform is safe? It has no FAQ, very little privacy policy explained (it's like 'hey, trust us') and doesn't accept paypal. It's a very bare website and IDK, where's their shipping and refund policies? If I have to put my CC number in there, I want it to be safe.

Tbh I'm not sure I can really give you an answer to that - but you could contact the guys? There's a mail address in case people have questions, and from what I heard they're pretty responsive and nice, so maybe just ask them the things you're unsure about.

Regarding they're showing at Rock the Coast, quite a few videos were posted on facebook, but most in closed groups (although often not full length), and I hope they make it to youtube soon. There were a few technical problems, but the guys sounded great - Parallel Minds sounded so amazing, especially Roy! :)

Thank you, I'll try.
Btw, the picture of Roy and Tommy together is really sweet.

64647775_497465250794252_798750636005077

I can't even... *fangirling intensifies*

Now I don't think a duet is happening any time soon, yet I'm truly hoping for that. Always... but I know I should stay rational about it :P 

1 hour ago, Damian said:

64647775_497465250794252_798750636005077

I can't even... *fangirling intensifies*

Now I don't think a duet is happening any time soon, yet I'm truly hoping for that. Always... but I know I should stay rational about it :P 

I'm still hoping Roy will be on Ayreon at some time point, and if Tommy would return again too, it could happen. Not very likely, but not impossible either, so one can dream xD