Baki

Tarja Turunen

2,475 posts in this topic

0467-tarja_turunen_03.jpg

Tarja Turunen (b. 1977) was the singer for an obscure Finnish metal band Nightwish in the period 1996-2005. After leaving the band, she embarked into solo career, combining pseudo-metal, rock, classical and ambient music. Besides her rock concerts, she also has Christmas tours and classical performances around the world. She has also formed music projects Harus (classical-pop, Christmas songs) and Outlanders (chill-out music).

Solo Discography:

2006 - Henkays Ikuisuudesta

2007 - My Winter Storm

2010 - What Lies Beneath

Guest Appearances:

1999 - Evankeliumi ballet

2001 - Beto Vasquez Infinity

2005 - Schiller (song Tired of Being Alone)

2005 - Martin Kesici (Leaving You For Me)

2009 - Doro (Walking with the Angels)

2010 - Scorpions (The Good Die Young)

www.tarjaturunen.com

Videos:

P.S.

She is also a squirrel, and is expected to release a computer software in the near future.

I really have enjoyed what we've seen of Tarja's solo work so far. Her vocal work is just as superb as in her Nightwish days, and I'm quite pleasantly surprised by her songwriting (on the tracks she does in fact write on her own). I loved My Winter Storm, but I think What Lies Beneath is definitely the better album. It is more unified, and she takes a few more risks. The Anteroom of Death was such a stellar track, and the structure was delightfully atypical. Well, relatively speaking. Haven't given her Christmas album a listen yet but given her pipes I don't doubt it's excellent.

I was really turned off by My Winter Storm. Listening to the "I feel Immortal" song, and her vocals sound a good deal better than they were since Once, but she still sounds too delicate to really make the music stand out.

I would complement her on Outlanders though. They need to take the project further, because they made stuff I would willingly listen to.

Her vocals have been a mixed bag ever since Century Child. Whether she sounds abslolutely divine or downright awful depends on what she's singing. She's amazing with classical music, but she's terrible with anything more contemporary like rock and metal. At least when it comes to what she's been singing post Wishmaster. With Century Child, Tuomas stopped writing music that would bring out the best in her voice. I don't get why so many people love the End of an Era recording. It's probably the worst live recording of her career. She's definitely improved since then, but it's a pity that the songs she gets to sing on her solo albums are just as poorly written for her voice as the ones on Century Child and Once. To be clear, I'm not saying they're bad songs but rather that they're bad songs for Tarja to sing. I love her Christmas album. I adore Oasis on My Winter Storm. But I can do without songs like Falling Awake.

In short, I'm a huge fan of Classical Tarja and not so much of Metal Tarja.

I actually feel the exact opposite. Tarja is unrefined, unrelaxed and undisciplined, and I like her least singing classical music or more nuanced material in general. She has a unique timbre and colour to her voice, but she just doesn't have the discpline to control all her power lately, and her breathing is bloody terrible. And when it comes to artistry and interpretation she's bland. Given that, I far prefer her voice applied to popular music, but I'm not to fussed about that either, because when she switches to singing in a contemporary or mixed technique, she tends to fall flat or get very nasally (live). Or both. She's just not refining or improving or applying her strengths in a way that would better her. I don't know if it's laziness or complacency or something else but it's dissapointing nonetheless. And, I don't dislike her or think she's an awful singer, she's just really really over rated.

Though, after all that, MWS has actually grown on me a bit. I still think Anteroom of Death is *****, but the singles and a few other songs are quite enjoyable. :P

And when I listen to classical I'll stay with

and other such ladies.

Tarja

used to love her in NW, her solo work is ok, My Winter Storm, for me its better than What lies beneath, i

I don't get why so many people love the End of an Era recording. It's probably the worst live recording of her career. She's definitely improved since then, but it's a pity that the songs she gets to sing on her solo albums are just as poorly written for her voice as the ones on Century Child and Once. To be clear, I'm not saying they're bad songs but rather that they're bad songs for Tarja to sing. I love her Christmas album. I adore Oasis on My Winter Storm. But I can do without songs like Falling Awake.

In short, I'm a huge fan of Classical Tarja and not so much of Metal Tarja.

I couldn't agree more on this... In general, I like Tarja on record, but whenever I've heard her live singing, I wanted to get up and run away as fast as I could... If I had to think of a word to describe her performances, I'd say: sloppy. And the thing that bugs me the most about the whole thing, is her pronunciation - the sounds coming out of her mouth are just so... ugly. If she'd take care of that, the whole thing would already sound a gazzilion times better. I could never quite get my head around the fact that someone with such a solid vocal training like her, would let herself get away with that. Because really, all of the things that make her performance so bad, are so easily fixable...

I have to agree with Tarja on a recording is really good, but live it's not as good. After all I love her on Nightwish's albums, her bad english doesn't even bother me. But live, I think, she is at times really bad. Take Nemo, its okay on the record (perfer Anette) but live she had great diffeculty pulling it of, unlike GLS.

As a classical singer it's like comparing Paul Pott and Jusse Björling, she's good but not great.

And I wished I could say I listen to Tarja now a day, but I just don't like the songs.

Anyway I still love her voice^^

I couldn't agree more on this... In general, I like Tarja on record, but whenever I've heard her live singing, I wanted to get up and run away as fast as I could... If I had to think of a word to describe her performances, I'd say: sloppy. And the thing that bugs me the most about the whole thing, is her pronunciation - the sounds coming out of her mouth are just so... ugly. If she'd take care of that, the whole thing would already sound a gazzilion times better. I could never quite get my head around the fact that someone with such a solid vocal training like her, would let herself get away with that. Because really, all of the things that make her performance so bad, are so easily fixable...

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. But it's not just the pronunciation. Ever since she re-trained her voice she's had this nasal quality to it. Just listen to the End of an Era recording of Slaying the Dreamer. Awful. Especially when she sings the words sacrifice, rhyme, heart and coward. She never sang this bad prior to Century Child.

I actually love exactly those parts of STD performance from that concert, because they sound kinda aggressive (at least in Tarja terms), thus suiting the song. But in some other cases this nasal sound is awful ,I have to say.

I prefer it when she's being aggressive with her operatic voice, like in Romanticide.

Ehm I don't see what's aggressive in Romanticide about her voice, esp. in the verses. In the chorus you have like 10 lines of Tarja vocals merged into a chorus effect, but apart from that, not aggressive at all.

I don't get why so many people love the End of an Era recording. It's probably the worst live recording of her career.

Holy crap, I thought I was the only one who thought this. To think that the same singer was in From Wishes to Eternity.

I like these in a way. It doesn't look like she's wearing makeup, and in the second and third ones, she actually has some happiness and emotion going on. I like happy Tarja, she's cute that way.

I used to really like her live performanes, there were more emotion, passion and charisma in her voice live (compared to the album). Not to mention that the expressions on her face made the performance even better (back when those expressions were sweet and discrete and genuine). But lately, she has gotten sloppy indeed and I really don't like that excessive use of the airy poppy voice, she's not good at it and she has an absolutely gorgeous deep operatic voice she should use more often (except to lay easy on the vibratto, I like a bit of vibratto and until a while ago it didn't bother me even though others complained it was too much, but lately it's really out of hand)/

Thanks for the videos, She looks gorgeous as usual, and I found her singing very beautiful here, slow but touching. To me, her vocal's been improving a lot since the departure, she did a good job in both her solo albums. I personally prefer MWS than WLB since it sounds much atmospheric and coherent though the guitar riffs could be a bit weak.

Edit: No need to quote the videos too.

OMG! That old video, awesome! How old was she there? And her voice is so different! She reminds me a lot of a young Dolores O'Riordan, around the early 90's. Qua appearance, that is.

I dont understand why some people doesnt hear her emotional voice, I was listen to this and I almost cry, she sings with a lot of feelings.

When I hear her sing I almost cry but for another reason! :wink:

Ok, that's an exaggeration for humour's sake. To my ear she did start to fall off key more often after Century Child, which incidentally corresponds to the changes in her private life at that time. But yes, I'm with Negus and 777, when I got End of an era, I all excitedly slapped it in the DVD player and was horrified how bad she was singing compared to on Wishes. Talk about just make a noise and warble it until it fits the key of the song... :sad:

BUT, to me she was perfect for their first format, and I do respect her in high regard for the enjoyment and emotion in those early years.

Solo work, well, I bought some and I just plain don't like the writing. I did like the duet with some fella years ago called "Leaving you for me". That was good.

I do apologise if my opinions are a bit harsh for some, but I'm not trolling, just finally getting out what I feel.

I still like Tarja's voice, but it's kind of sad I don't like her solo career's music. I really wanna like it but I just don't. However, there's some song which I like, but mostly don't care about it. I would love hear more some classical material, hope she will do some classical concerts and album in the future.

That video was from 1994, I have the DVD with it on. It's better quality as this and another song or two also. I'll ask if I can put it up as it was very beautiful singing.