Baki

Tarja Turunen

2,475 posts in this topic

^ I know...I hope in her next Tour she sings some old songs that NW never played or songs from the first NW albums.

"Swanheart" has the honour of being among my least favourite Nightwish songs. But I can appreciate how she still sounds decent there.

I dont like to much either the album version but I can definitly love the live one, that's what I like Tarja a lot, she sounds better live than in the album.

I wish I could say that for her. In some songs perhaps, but overall I think she cannot achieve the level of versatility of her studio work when she performs live. She's too preoccupied with jumping around.

I, whereas, prefer listening to her studio albums to live versions since I always can find flaws in her singing (not as smooth and dramatic as her voice used to be) and the background music ;)

Anyways she's an angel (in music, yeah :diablo: ) j/k

I wish I could say that for her. In some songs perhaps, but overall I think she cannot achieve the level of versatility of her studio work when she performs live. She's too preoccupied with jumping around.

I know..I dont see the worry on her face but definitely she wants to jump lol, dont know why. But I always prefered her voice live since she were in NW. At least in songs like TPOTO, Swanheart, Sleeping sun, Everdream, GLS...well in almost all the songs an obvious her songs to like Our great divide, the reign, Underneath, sing for me.

Second part of the interview

What bands, musicians and singers grew thy spirit?

"Nothing like metal! (Laughs). I started with music very young, at the age of six years, and listened mostly to classical music and classical pieces. But I have a brother seven years older than listening to heavy music, such as Alice Cooper, so I got my dose of it from him, but I heard more hard-rock as Whitesnake, Scorpions and Bon Jovi. "

It is interesting to mention scorpions, because that's my next question ... How does it feel to sing on the latest album by Scorpions?

"I am very excited about this and give me this opportunity. It was amazing to be part of the album, and have also played live on occasion, and are very friendly and nice."

In your country, your neighbors Finland and Scandinavia, have had many successful bands in the metal, why do you think so?

"Now the final question! (Laughs). It's something I often ask the media and journalists, and is a very interesting question. I do not know if it's because it is usually a dark place, and inspires us, and that's when the lights, so to speak. Many people may become depressed and can vent their feelings through music, singing what I say, then do not be negative. In my opinion it is rather the contrary, I constantly see the beauty of metal music, and find it difficult to talk about our feelings in the Nordic countries, but this is so, as a way to get them out."

How did you feel being expelled from a band that you were an original member? I speak, of course, NIGHTWISH.

"I'm very happy where I am now, I have to express my own lyrics and songs, is a big difference before. And when you can play with people you want and it works great. But I'll never say I will not be in any band again, never say never."

Do you have any relationship or contact with some of your former band members today?

"No, unfortunately not."

Finally, do you have a few words?

"I hope soon to be playing in Sweden. I love my fans, are true and follow me wherever you're playing, in Europe or the world, I have seen many Swedes in Europe. And I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! "

Edited by Cursarion
removed colours

OMG I haven't seen that video, thank you so much, I was reading some comments of people saying she is losing her voice, lol...I think her voice is better than ever.

The thing is, she has lost her voice in the sense that she can no longer sing fast paced Nightwish songs and sound good doing it. On the other hand, she sounds better than ever singing slower songs.

Love the way she handles the questions, it shows her capability to turn things into her support.

Being originally a Scorpions fan myself, her answer rocks! :dwarf:

(Edit. Wrong spelling, what a shame)

Tarja Turunen (b. 1977) was the singer for an obscure Finnish metal band Nightwish in the period 1996-2005.

:P:giggle:

She is also a squirrel, and is expected to release a computer software in the near future.

Remind me again why she is a squirrel? :giggle:

Do you have any relationship or contact with some of your former band members today?

"No, unfortunately not."

"Unfortunately?" A good sign? Or perhaps just keeping up appearances? <_< Let's hope it's the former and not the latter.

appearances of what?...I dont think she only lost their friendship but also their families relations, I think she had to know NW families, due to 9 years she were in the band, with the split she not only lost 5 friendships but a huge amount of people around her: their families, NW crew, fans. It is sad, I think she meant that with the ''unfortunately''.

I don't think she cares for them, to be honest. Even though I believe it is mutual, I think she is less likely to approach them than the other way around. And it's perfectly understandable, since Nightwish are still doing incredibly well without her and I'm sure the guys aren't losing any sleep over the infamous incident anymore, whereas she is stuck with being the ex-singer of Nightwish who unfortunately has a lot of crazy fans who would rather bitch about how she belongs in Nightwish than support her current stuff. She deserves better, so I'm a bit sad that things haven't worked out quite as well for her as for former band mates.

NW crew,

Actually I think she had some of the crew members with her own tour, because they're more like freelancers, so they're not anyone's crew really... If I don't remember totally wrong.

Actually I think she had some of the crew members with her own tour, because they're more like freelancers, so they're not anyone's crew really... If I don't remember totally wrong.

No, you don't. At least Tommi Stolt was touring with Tarja.

No, you don't. At least Tommi Stolt was touring with Tarja.

Yep, now that you mentioned, I remember he was. And also Jarmo was her webmaster for a while when her forum was started.

Yep, now that you mentioned, I remember he was. And also Jarmo was her webmaster for a while when her forum was started.

I also remember that Kimi Tuunainen was in Tarja's Tavastia's gig but I'm not sure was he working or just came to see Tarja.

I don't think she cares for them, to be honest. Even though I believe it is mutual, I think she is less likely to approach them than the other way around. And it's perfectly understandable, since Nightwish are still doing incredibly well without her and I'm sure the guys aren't losing any sleep over the infamous incident anymore, whereas she is stuck with being the ex-singer of Nightwish who unfortunately has a lot of crazy fans who would rather bitch about how she belongs in Nightwish than support her current stuff. She deserves better, so I'm a bit sad that things haven't worked out quite as well for her as for former band mates.

Well, she is not a resentful person, also I can understand her if she never wants to have something with them, just because the way she was fired but like I said I dont think she was talking just about the guys but about people around her.

I dont know why this ''pity'' to her career, its obvious that people here doesnt like her solo work but she has a lot of fans around the world and not just because she is the former singer, if you see videos of her classial concerts there are older persons who goes to see her, she is one the most famous singer in Finland and she is not just known because she were in NW but also because of their Christmas albums/concerts, I hate when people says that, 'cause I am one of her fans and at least to me I really dont care if there's NW songs on her concerts, it would be always great if she includes some of them but if she doesnt anyway I would go to see her because of her songs. Obviously it is a title that she will have forever no matter what she does but I dont see her like she is on NW big shadow or something, there are band members that has a great career but people still recognizing them because of their former bands.

I still don't get how come that in 6 years she never stumbled upon Tuomas in the streets of Kitee when she visits her family there. I mean, it's not such a hyge place.... :P

@Baki, I was just wondering about the same thing for a while. Even is she lives is Buenos Aires, she sure visits her home sometimes, and there in Kitee are only a few thousand people living. Maybe she stays at home all time in order to not to meet anyone :P

appearances of what?...I dont think she only lost their friendship but also their families relations, I think she had to know NW families, due to 9 years she were in the band, with the split she not only lost 5 friendships but a huge amount of people around her: their families, NW crew, fans. It is sad, I think she meant that with the ''unfortunately''.

I meant trying not to look like the spiteful diva she was accused of being back in '05 and still is, unfortunately. I was wondering whether what you said is true and she is genuinely sad, or if she's trying not to look spiteful. She has said before that she doesn't miss her days with them at all, I forget where the interview was, someone had posted it on the old forum. Someone in the Kamelot forum mentioned in a topic that was debating whether Tarja would be a good match for them (she isn't) that she lives near Tarja, and that she's not particularly kind. Of course, that's just hearsay and may not be even remotely true, but still, it seemed an odd place to say that if it is a lie. So meh, who knows?

She is still saying she doesnt miss anything but I think its a lie, maybe she doesnt miss the last years because of their problems but I think everyone who had had a frienship like NW since they were young, sure she misses that old times, but she never gonna say it and less in an interview...there are a lot of things here, just she knows what happens in their mind and feelings but I dont think she is such a diva or mean person, she had said she wish them the best in their lives.

Thanks for linking to the interview, sahara.

I find it funny how both she and the NW guys always claim that they haven't heard each others albums when asked about it - I find it hard to believe that they don't have any sort of knowledge of curiosity about their former singer/band. It might be true, of course, but it might also just be a handy way to not comment on each others work or stir any more ***** up.

I agree, they will never admit anything in interviews or infront the cameras, just to not ''feed'' anymore the press, 'cause it is unbelievable they are still making this questions after many years. Its kinda silly and I think they are tired too.