Baki

Tarja Turunen

2,475 posts in this topic

I don't think this was a very nice reply:

Radio Metal: Out of curiosity, did you listen to the album Dark Passion Play? What do you think of Anette Olzon’s work?

Turunen: "I am not the right person to answer this question! I’m so sorry! (laughs)"

Radio Metal: I am just asking you what do you think of her way of singing, it is a simple question…

Turunen: "What I’ve heard… I wish all the band all the best and lots of happiness, that’s all I can tell you really."

It can easily be interpreted as a back-handed compliment.

I still don't get how come that in 6 years she never stumbled upon Tuomas in the streets of Kitee when she visits her family there. I mean, it's not such a hyge place.... :P

Maybe they both have hired spies to report each others whereabouts. :giggle:

I find it funny how both she and the NW guys always claim that they haven't heard each others albums when asked about it - I find it hard to believe that they don't have any sort of knowledge of curiosity about their former singer/band. It might be true, of course, but it might also just be a handy way to not comment on each others work or stir any more ***** up.

I've never seen or heard either side claiming that, they've always said something like "no comments".

Maybe they should quit asking her those questions =/

This. :there:

^ I remember hearing both Tarja, Tuomas and Marco claiming several times that they havent heard the new material from NW/Tarja.

And Magnus, I think that comment could be interpreted in many ways. She started saying something, and then just said she wished them all the best. At least I dont see it as particularly negative, but it all depends on interpretation

In one interview from Bulgaria Tarja said that she ordered Dark Passion Play and she'll have it soon, but of course since she didn't had it yet, she didn't say anything about it...

In some russian interview, I read that Tuomas had heard My Winter Storm, but he sid that he don't want to talk about it... it was because of the journalist, 'cause he said that once, he sent her a Christmas card and said it to a journalist, and on the other day he read in one finnish newspaper something like "Tuomas is trying to talk with Tarja again, but she still hates him, so she didn't answer"...

So, if it's true, it's understable why he's holding his opinion to himself.

And Magnus, I think that comment could be interpreted in many ways. She started saying something, and then just said she wished them all the best. At least I dont see it as particularly negative, but it all depends on interpretation

I agree

@Magnus: I dont see anything negative I see politeness (from both sides), like I said they wont say anything positive or negative about their careers 'cause if they would there would be so controversial, just becasue the way they handled things in that time. Press are like an starving animal and wants that kind of news, they are not gonna give them that pleasure.

In some russian interview, I read that Tuomas had heard My Winter Storm, but he sid that he don't want to talk about it... it was because of the journalist, 'cause he said that once, he sent her a Christmas card and said it to a journalist, and on the other day he read in one finnish newspaper something like "Tuomas is trying to talk with Tarja again, but she still hates him, so she didn't answer"...

Hates him?? :rofl: ...how dramatic!!!...this is the reason why they dont talk about this.

Tarja does seem rather annoyed but I can understand why. I'd be annoyed as well if I got asked questions six years after being fired in such a public manner. Interviewers really should quit asking her Nightwish-related questions and focus on her solo career. It's been six years and as far as I can tell, she's moved on. At least she's being polite about it, though, despite seeming annoyed.

oh geez.... see, that's exactly why they don't say anything about the other side, because both the press and the fans interpret their words like crazy and see all sorts of secret hate and disdain and... drama. She probably just wanted to say something and then realised it's not very smart to open her mouth on this tricky subject, so she turned to the universal "I wish them all the best". No back-handed comments, no disimulated hate, no dead unicorns or anything.

^ I remember hearing both Tarja, Tuomas and Marco claiming several times that they havent heard the new material from NW/Tarja.

I think that was before they had heard, because they have both "sides" * said that they have sent their first albums without each others to each others. And they both have also said that the other "side" * sent the album.

(* = can't think a better word...)

In one interview from Bulgaria Tarja said that she ordered Dark Passion Play and she'll have it soon, but of course since she didn't had it yet, she didn't say anything about it...

I think she didn't say that, because of what I just wrote above. Maybe it's wrong translation or something...?

From what I understand, there are many logical reasons Tarja answers with these words...First off, the questions themselves. Just because the journalists want to make a big story out of Tarja, that doesn't mean that she has to satisfy them answering questions like "what do you think of DPP" or whatever. Except for Enough, she really seems to want to keep things as calm as possible and not raise any wars...besides, what could she say? If she says "Oh yes I heard it, it's hideous" people will start the flame war, and if she says "I heard it,it's magnificent" people will accuse her of lying and being the hypocritical hypocrite who is being a hypocite and lies and...you get my point.

Next, I think she tries to give these "neutral" answers for one simple thing: if she does not, and she answers to at least one of these questions,even the most "innocent" one, then journalists will ask more and more "difficult" questions,trying to make a big story out of that. Shutting them at the very beginning seems like the safest thing she can do.

Now, to the subject whether she is kind in person or not...Three things: first, many people try to impress others saying that they know someone famous, even at the most random places, like other bands' forums.Second, even more people try to dash someone they don't like by stating false info. And third, and most important, when it comes to idols+fans, many people tend to expect too much from their idols...Really,what does a fan think it's kind?I think that simply smiling and accepting to sign an autograph is much already, but there are fans that expect from their idols to hug them,kiss them or whatever. We must remember though that these people are human beings as well,having bad days, and mostly being in their privacy. Of course I demand from an artist to be polite during and after a show, meeting fans, but I have no right to expect the same from that person while I run on him/her on the street...

To me, ''to be kind'' is just smile or wave their hand saying hello and if I have luck maybe a picture with them...but I think that is too much...if Tarja never smile or something I could be angry in that moment but then I will realize maybe she wasnt in the mood. Thank God she always are smiling to her fans and when I saw her she was also kind and said hello before the concert. Just Marcelo didnt allow her to come aout after the concert <_< I remember Tarja wanted to do it but he closed the door :sad:

I think that at a certain point, this whole "being kind to the fans" is also part of the image they're trying to maintain and it's got nothing to do with how they are as persons in real life and it's also in no way an obligation to give autographs and take pictures and smile. There are bands who have a more "evil" image, so then they don't stay to chat and laugh with the fans, but not necessarily because they're stuck up, but because they have a certain "aura" to keep.

Well..I don't agree with that. Not with you angel_heart, I agree with that you say,of course there are that kind of bands, I just find ridiculous that kind of behavior.I can think of at least one band whose members(at least the singer I remember) act like that *coughOpethcough* and I didn't like that at all.I mean, they could at least show some kind of respect to the fans that support and adore them. And that includes certainly not insulting them during shows!..

Anyways, I have met Tarja too in a mall, nothing to do with a show, and she was really kind and smiling...But she was alone. I have never met her with Marcelo by her side. Still,call me naive, but I refuse to accept that what he does comes from evilness, I believe he's being really overprotective...Too much though.

Of course, he is not evil lol...but I remember the place the concert was, had a big windows with bars and she was opening it one of them and then suddenly appeared Marcelo and closed it before she would open it wide. All the fans were outside but just reporters and interviewers were entering, maybe it was for that, I didnt wait until she left the place I went home to sleep :bored: ....I ignore if she came out after. :unsure:

Well..I don't agree with that. Not with you angel_heart, I agree with that you say,of course there are that kind of bands, I just find ridiculous that kind of behavior.

Yeah, I understand what you mean, I find it rather ridiculous too, the fans basically feed you and pay for everything you've got, so the least you could do is be nice to them (of course you don't owe it to them, but meah, it won't kill you to give them a bone). But since there are fans who think it's ok for their favourite stars to act like douchebags with them, I suppose they have it coming...

I can think of at least one band whose members(at least the singer I remember) act like that *coughOpethcough* and I didn't like that at all.I mean, they could at least show some kind of respect to the fans that support and adore them. And that includes certainly not insulting them during shows!..

I'm surprised you say that about Opeth, I thought they were really nice with the fans when i saw them live. It's true that i didn't have a chance to meet them in person (I don't like this kind of stuff), I only saw them on stage, but they seemed very friendly and down to earth. Definitely not the arrogant types and the kind of people who insult their fans!

I find it funny how both she and the NW guys always claim that they haven't heard each others albums when asked about it - I find it hard to believe that they don't have any sort of knowledge of curiosity about their former singer/band. It might be true, of course, but it might also just be a handy way to not comment on each others work or stir any more ***** up.

I can't imagine they haven't heard each others albums. But then again, I am strange. Whenever I had a fight with someone and/or have broken up with them, I still keep looking them up on the internet, just so I can be even more pissed. And throw arrows at their pictures, occasionally. *big grin*

I'm surprised you say that about Opeth, I thought they were really nice with the fans when i saw them live. It's true that i didn't have a chance to meet them in person (I don't like this kind of stuff), I only saw them on stage, but they seemed very friendly and down to earth. Definitely not the arrogant types and the kind of people who insult their fans!

I have seen them twice, once in Finland,where they had the courtesy of informing their Finnish fans that Sweden is the best Nordic country and that they totally own them and stuff...(I don't feel the need to explain why saying such a thing to Finns was a stupid idea...) and once in Greece where the singer also had the courtesy to inform us that he wasn't in the mood of performing that day,that he would rather sit in his piano and play. Not such a bad thing to say, but meh, give your fans a break.

lol, I imagine it was in good humour and he wasn't actually rubbing in their faces. They joke a lot and are a bit sarcastic at times, but like i said, it's all in good humour, I don't take it as rudeness towards the fans.

I remember not liking Akerfeldt's humour either, not at all. It wasn't offensive - I doubt he seriously meant those things about his countries - but his sense of humour can be very dry. I usually like weird humour, even moreso when they are by artists on stage, but I remember raising my eyebrows at Opeth and just thinking "oh god...Shut up and play already, this is pathetic". And yes I remember thinking the word "pathetic", which is very rarely something I think about live shows :P .

lol, I imagine it was in good humour and he wasn't actually rubbing in their faces. They joke a lot and are a bit sarcastic at times, but like i said, it's all in good humour, I don't take it as rudeness towards the fans.

I don't have a problem with weird humour in general, but two times in a row... :blink:

And yes I remember thinking the word "pathetic", which is very rarely something I think about live shows :P .

You obviously haven't watched a recent Sirenia show, have you? :diablo:

To get back to the topic, I really like Tarja, I have seen her with Nightwish and two times during her solo career,she creates a pretty energetic atmosphere but...Ok, she is nice singer, she was the first female singer with a classical approach to get famous in the metal scene, but she should really decide on what she wants to do. Of course she was to satisfy all of her fans, some of them being metal fans and some being classic music fans, so she tries to make this weird symphonic-metal-with-operatic-vocals-but-not-sounding-like-Nightwish and she ends up sounding like..over-the-top-symphonic-rock-with-weird-mixed-vocals...

For me, her best songs are Oasis, The Reign and Tired of Being Alone. You know,the only ones which I can say accurately exactly what they are.

I think most songs from My Winter Storm are way better than those of What Lies Beneath (it makes me think that the album wasn't carefully mixed and arranged)

I have seen them twice, once in Finland,where they had the courtesy of informing their Finnish fans that Sweden is the best Nordic country and that they totally own them and stuff...(I don't feel the need to explain why saying such a thing to Finns was a stupid idea...) and once in Greece where the singer also had the courtesy to inform us that he wasn't in the mood of performing that day,that he would rather sit in his piano and play. Not such a bad thing to say, but meh, give your fans a break.

Well, its cause Sweden is better than Finland :D

But seriously, it is their humor, countries always have a dig at each other, and honestly, I can understand people not getting Mikael's humor but you can't interpret that as like, hate towards fans or something. I've seen them twice now and both times they were fun and friendly. Mikael is a troll as well. He has people yelling at him "play something heavy" so he's gonna give them ***** and say "Do I look like the kind of person who takes requests? No." And everyone laughed.

Basically, angel_heart was saying pretty much what I would say

I remember not liking Akerfeldt's humour either, not at all. It wasn't offensive - I doubt he seriously meant those things about his countries - but his sense of humour can be very dry. I usually like weird humour, even moreso when they are by artists on stage, but I remember raising my eyebrows at Opeth and just thinking "oh god...Shut up and play already, this is pathetic". And yes I remember thinking the word "pathetic", which is very rarely something I think about live shows :P .

I'm kinda gonna have to kick your ass a bit now :diablo:

Leave my preciouses alone please... if Opeth is good enough for Steven Wilson, you should hold your tongue :P

Fair enough, I actually found the opposite to be the case- I bought MWS, and got bored of it very quickly, and found the songs lacked a lot of energy. When WLB came out, I didn't bother buying it for that reason, but having checked out most of the songs, I actually find them a few steps up from MWS- the ballads are fairly similar, but the "rock" songs actually sound like they've got some energy to them, and a few are quite catchy. I don't like it enough to buy the album, money's far too tight atm for any but the albums I want the most, but had she released WLB as her first album, I'd probably have a lot more interest in her solo career than I currently do.

EDIT: Replying to phuong's post