Carol

Imaginaerum

1,876 posts in this topic

Heard the album yet? Still waiting for it to arrive? Post your thoughts here.

Edited by Cursarion
Added the poll

Mine arrived yesterday and I haven't been able to stop listening ever since. I really liked it. It's certainly better than DPP and really really theatrical for my taste. It really feels like you're listening to a soundtrack. It does have a couple of weaker songs, imo, but all in all, really really good! :)

I got the album yesterday as well, and I've yet to find a bad song on it. :wub:

It does kind of distract me from doing any work though... :unsure: But vacuuming can wait, can't it? ^_^

I absolutely adore it! I don't really have any favourites yet tho, it seem to be one of those albums where all the songs work together to produce a general sense of awesome

Liked this alvun... alfortunetelt not as mucg as I expected to. But yhe hightlight are I want My Tears Back,m Shost River, Scaretsle, Lastr rige of the Day and Song of Myself. I know thewre was another one, but I forget right now.,.,,.

Great album. Waiting for my new review for it to be accepted to the Metal Archives, so I'll link to it once I can. It's about 2,000 words and a little much for one forum post.

Ghost River is definitely growing on me. It was one of the songs I liked the least judging on the samples, but now, everytime I listen to it, I like it more. And for some reason, I'd like to start their shows with this particular song.

I liked Ghost River on first listen. I find its heaviness very appealing.

As I said, I didn't think I'd like it judging by the samples, but after listening to the whole thing, it reminds me very much of older Nightwish, of things like She Is My Sin or Come Cover Me. And I really like that. I feel they've managed to make an album that has elements from all their previous CDs, so to say. And I really like that

It's a great album, 100 times better than DPP. But still there's one thing that bothers me, some songs could be a bit shorter because they are getting repetitive and boring. I really like Arabesque, I Want My Tears Back and Song of Myself

To me, it's their best album yet. It's crazy, theatrical and everything just works beautifully. My top three tracks would have to be Scaretale, Song Of Myself (that song makes me cry every time I listen to it!) and Ghost River but I love them all. There isn't one bad track on the album, imo.

It's very comfortable with itself, unlike DPP which felt "tense" to me at times. (Which makes sense given that DPP was when Nightwish was trying to introduce Anette and no one was quite sure what to expect.) I loved all of Imaginaerum except "Song of Myself." I tried getting into it, with the poem and all, but I just can't. :mellow: Highlights for me are Last Ride of the Day, Rest Calm, I Want My Tears Back, and The Crow, The Owl, and the Dove.

Got mine in the mail this mornig at 10:00 as expected, pre-ordered it on Nov 1. along Storytime CDS which also was deliverd punctually on the day of release Nov 9.. Gotta love Recordshopx.com - never failed a single order during the years.

I also listened to the premiere airplay on Radio Rock last night which made me slightly cross-eyde this morning due lack of sleep. Even then, I had another good listenign session today, but as the album is one helluva beast for an artwork, I need to take my time and delve deeper for a week or three before any final judgement.

For now it sounds like one of the better - if not the best - album Nightwish have done in their career. But let's ahve another spin or three for the CD to delve deeper in the miilions of details in there. *Hits the Play button*

I'm buying my copy the moment I see it ANYWHERE! Except from being just an awesome album, it has THE most beautiful booklet...

I really have enjoyd the album. Sounds better than DPP. Feels almost like the singer has changed again, Anette's vocals are much better now than in DPP. She's voice fits perfectly to the songs. I can't say yet, is this their best album but damn, at least it's much better than DPP or Once.

Picking favorite songs seems to be impossible. I like most of the songs, only Slow Love, Slow haven't impressed me yet.

Feels almost like the singer has changed again, Anette's vocals are much better now than in DPP. She's voice fits perfectly to the songs.

I must say, I do like the fact Tuomas wasn't writing for a phantom voice this time. It made the whole album sound more 'well rounded' than Dark Passion Play.

LOVE Scaretale. I really like Anette's witch voice. Still on the fence about buying it when it comes out. Considering going through Amazon.com for the preorder.

I think what I enjoyed the most about Imaginaerum is that it felt like it fit together better. Not just the tracks, but the instrumental in general. For me, DPP had so much competition between what was on top -- vocals, orchestra, guitar (the latter two often drowned out the former). With this release, the orchestra actually sounds like it is part of the music instead of just thrown on top of it, and I really like how theatrical this makes the album sound. My only complaint is that a few tracks (mainly Storytime) have the guitar too loud, not to mention they aren't particularly interesting. But I've always liked the symphonic aspect of Nightwish, so 'meh' guitars don't ruin the experience for me.

The only tracks that didn't do much are I Want My Tears Back and Turn Loose the Mermaids, though I still like them. The rest of the album is fantastic-- Ghost River is really catchy, Slow, Love, Slow is absolutely magical--Anette's lower register should really be utilized more often. I hated Scaretale on first listen, even though I loved the sample, but it grew on me and is now one of the highlights of the album (Marco's part is the best :D ). Rest Calm is pleasant but also is a bit too repetitive like Ghost River, and Last Ride of the Day is my absolute favorite song on the album.

I don't think Song of Myself is quite as good as the previous long songs, but it's still great. The spoken part is beautiful, despite being a bit too long. I think it would have been better as an outro, on or after the Imaginaerum track.

This album definitely needed multiple listens. I'm on my fifth time through and I'm still finding things I missed on the first time.

I listened to it on Radio Rock last night, and a few times today, amazing probably covers what I thought of it. I'm not sure I could pick a favourite as I like them all for different reasons. The spoken part of Song of Myself fits perfectly, and Imaginaerum rounds the whole thing off.

I cannot wait for my CDs to arrive so I can hear it at full quality. (Hurry up Amazon)

I admit...,I set my expectations pretty high for this album, because, well...my favorite band and all. They not only met my expectations with this, they exceeded them. While I like certain tracks more than others, I honestly don't feel there is a "bad" track on here. The band took a lot of risks and tried a lot of new things, and they pulled them off masterfully, in my opinion. And Anette has shown so much growth here from DPP too; with the music now written with her vocal range in mind, she comes off as feeling more at home here and really having a lot of fun (especially with "Scaretale").

Right now, I think my favorite track is "I Want My Tears Back." There's just something about it...I can't explain it. It just speaks to me for some reason, and then has the great back-and-forth between the guitars and the pipes that I love. I'm already a fan of Celtic music, so to have so much more of that influence throughout the album makes me very happy. And everything else just gets better and better with repeated listens too.

I think my only complaint is that "Rest Calm" drags on just a bit too long with the chorus being repeated so many times. I think it could've stood to be a minute or two shorter. But that's really it. Great job, Nightwish! Bring on the movie!

I listened on radiorock and loved it, though I reserve a final placement for it among the whole discography until I get my digital copy from roadrunner in December. The best thing was that I finally got some acoustic guitar! Hallelujah! And even a jazz track, which I adore. My only real complaint is that the band still seems to be missing to me. Though not as much as I thought they would be after listening to Storytime, a song that made me want to beat poor Emppu to death with his own guitar... :angry: I hope they use the band more next time around, they can play much more complex parts than they have been given this time around, and last time for that matter... Toumas should put some time into making the band's instruments bled with the orchestra as opposed to just sticking them in the gaps left by it. But that annoyance aside, I really did love the album, for my favorite track consult my avatar. :ph34r:

As usual, I was expecting for this to blow my mind. What can I say? My mind is well and truly blown.

Current favourites are The Crow, The Owl and The Dove (I just love the lyrics!), Ghost River and Song of Myself.

But no doubt this will change as I get more into the album.

Roll on the movie and the tour!

This album was not what I expected, and I write that in a positive meaning. Actually, I believe this is the first Nightwish album where I like all the songs.

What does it for me is the diversity and compositions. I don't mind the orchestra, as I enjoy the thought of different units forming a whole. Some may be of the opinion that Nightwish is less of a band because of it, but I personally feel that it helps create the atmosphere of the album. Especially since it's related to imagination and dreams. Plus, the orchestra isn't as roaring as it was in DPP - which is why I feel it flows to well with the band instruments and vocals.

It's obvious that the album was created as a soundtrack, but I think it stands on its own as 'just' an album as well. Some songs needed to grow on me (Last Ride of The Day, Scaretale and Rest Calm to name a few), but I'm now enjoying them. Plus, the orchestra part in Scaretale is an epic transition after the 'evil circus/theme park' section. Me gusta.

Here's a track - by - track review:

Taikatalvi: Reminds me of childhood with the music box at the start. The intro song is very atmospheric and makes me imagine various 'dreamy' places.

Storytime: Probably my least favourite track, though I enjoy the song nevertheless. I don't mind its alleged 'poppiness' or 'catchiness', but I think it drags a little too much towards the end. It's very happy - sounding though, which I think is a nice contrast to...

Ghost River: When I got the album, I was very sceptical to this track. From what I heard from the samples, it felt very heavy with little melody. I was wrong. The chorus is very catchy and easy to follow, and I just love the children's choir here. If this was meant to be a duet between Gaia and Satan, I think Anette and Marco did the song justice!

Slow, Love, Slow: It's definitely a highlight. As with Ghost RIver, I was very very sceptical because of my unfamiliarity with jazz. Yet, I stand corrected. The climax at the end is wonderful and 'creepy' in a everything - fades - away way. I just imagine the jazz bar slowly detoriating and fading away, and the only thing we're left with is a ticking clock that goes on FOREVER.

I Want My Tears Back: I wasn't too excited for this one, and it definitely needed to grow on me. While I like the celtic touches and Troy, I think that there's too little 'change' in the melody for me. It's amazing lyric - wise, however. Still a very good song that I imagine I'd enjoy working out to.

Scaretale: I wasn't looking that much forward to Scaretale either, at least from the samples. The song is wonderfully atmospheric, and it takes unexpected and twisted turns that are just loveable. Certainly fitting for a movie. Anette and Marco surprised me with their vocals. Kudos to them!

Arabesque: This song was one of the tracks I was looking forward to, despite this being an instrumental. It is fast - paced and definitely Ara - inspired (if one couldn't get that from the name, lol). Nothing much to write here, other than it was a good instrumental. Again, soundtrack - sounding.

Turn Loose the Mermaids: Probably my favourite song when I only had the samples. It moved me to tears when I heard it the first time (in full). It's very emotional, and when I heard what Tuomas had to say about it, it just strengthened the track. A song that touched me on a personal level.

Rest Calm: One of the songs that had to grow on me, though when I became aware of the children choir and Anette in the midsection, I knew that this song was a beauty. It evokes a a somewhat melancholy feeling, one where you appreciate the life you've lived despite the bad things you have experienced.

The Crow, The Owl and The Dove: A song that I associate with fully accepting yourself for who you are, flaws and all. A very nice ballad, though it falls after Turn Loose the Mermaids in the ways of personal taste. I thought it was a little boring at first. I still do, but I'm able to appreciate the song.

Last Ride of the Day: From what I've read, this song seems to be a favourite among many. It initially needed to grow on me, but now I can see why so many like it. While I feel the chorus is all over the place, the build - up to said chorus and the verses are pure awesome. This amount of awesome thus redeems the chorus. I also love the line 'It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead'. How many of us wouldn't prefer entertaining thoughts of how their life sucks at the moment, instead of making whatever effort they can in their minds to change? Then again, old habits die hard.

Song of Myself: While I feared that this would lyrically be another Poet and the Pendulum, I actually quite the song. Anette's vocals really grew on me and the poem moved me to tears the first few times I heard it, but I think that you have to be in the right mood to listen to it. A good song overall, though I sometimes wish the poem would be shorter. I also miss some variation in the melody.

Imaginaerum: I haven't listened to this track a lot. It melds the songs together and creates a flow that's nice to the ear, though I think it ends rather suddenly. Not 'suddenly' in the way that it cuts off, but sometimes I think along the lines of 'Ok, what's the next part?'.

Alright, that's it. It's my favourite Nightwish album to date, though that may be because of the freshness of the material. We might see how well it fares in the future when I've grown accustomed to it. Nothing beats Ghost Love Score and Meadows of Heaven though!

A thumbs up to Nightwish for creating an album where you actually find yourself in another world upon listening. I honestly didn't care for the 'lack of metal' that some complain about around the Internet because of how grandiose and atmospheric the album managed to be.

This one was full of surprises. I'm getting bored of "Storytime" already (except the chorus, but a chorus alone can't carry a five-and-a-half minute song), but other songs have already taken its place.

"Scaretale"- That interlude sounds like Finntroll fronted by Marco. Not genuinely evil or unnerving (like, say, Blut Aus Nord), but ridiculous enough to fit right in with a Disney soundtrack- perfect. The rest isn't half bad either, even if that "bite me, bite me" part is annoying as all hell. (Other than that, all the new stuff Anette tried works really well.)

"Last Ride Of The Day"- Zero percent filler, all awesome riffs, and the album's strongest chorus. And Emppu hasn't forgotten how to solo after all!

"Rest Calm"- Didn't really hold my attention past the beginning. By the time the outtro rolled around, it had already long overstayed its welcome... but did they really have to drag it out for seven minutes? It's like Tuomas heard someone talking about how overlong the end of "7 Days To The Wolves" was, and thought to himself, "I can top that".

"I Want My Tears Back"- The reason "Last Ride Of The Day" isn't my favorite song. They went straight back to Oceanborn for this song. The little duel between Emppu and Troy is easily the album highlight.

"Turn Loose The Mermaids"- The ballad. I thought this was going to suck, but the previews didn't sound too bad, and now I'm glad I didn't skip it. This is what happens when Tuomas/Pip doesn't spam stabs and hits and overall symphonic bombast, but uses the orchestra in a more tactful way. Reminds me of "Creek Mary's Blood".

"Song Of Myself"- Imaginaerum's answer to "The Poet And The Pendulum". The first half falls short, but the second half is good enough to make me want the instrumental version, at least.

My first impression overall (obviously this isn't the last time I'll listen to it) is about a 3.5/5. I'm predicting it'll grow a bit, especially the first half ("Ghost River" especially).