• Announcements

• WhiteRaven

Nightwish Online - Features   03/12/2017

Check out a summary of the new features and changes on NightwishOnline here: http://www.nightwishonline.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4478-nightwishonline-new-features/  
em_j_ottermaster

Eluveitie

109 posts in this topic

YAY! I get to start this one! :D

Eluveitie is a Folk Metal band from Switzerland. They use traditional Folk instruments and themes with their music.

Current Members:

• Chrigel Glanzmann – vocals, mandola, whistles, pipes, gaita, acoustic guitar, bodhrán (2002–present)
  • Meri Tadić – violin, vocals (2003–present)
  • Merlin Sutter – drums (2004–present)
  • Simeon Koch – lead guitar, vocals (2004–present)
  • Ivo Henzi – rhythm guitar (2004–present)
  • Anna Murphy – hurdy gurdy, vocals (2006–present)
  • Kay Brem – bass guitar (2008–present)
  • Patrick Kistler – bagpipes, whistles (2008–present)

Discography:

• Vên (2003)
  • Spirit (2006)
  • Slania (2008)
  • Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion (2009)
  • Everything Remains (As It Never Was) (2010)
  • Helvetios (2012)

Eluveitie-Bandfoto-Band.jpg

I figured I'd post this in a seperate post because this is more "news" than the first page...

They have revealed their album cover and tracklist for Helvetios!

helvetios-300x300.jpg

01. Prologue

02. Helvetios

03. Luxtos

04. Home

05. Santonian Shores

06. Scorched Earth

07. Meet The Enemy

08. Neverland

09. A Rose For Epona

10. Havoc

11. The Uprising

12. Hope

13. The Siege

14. Alesia

15. Tullianum

16. Uxellodunon

17. Epilogue

I don't get why people have an issue with the "simple" album artwork? Its Celtic, its traditional.... sometimes simplicity can be beautiful and I love it :D

It will be perfect as a t-shirt design though :wub:

But the mythology nerd in me was so happy with the song title "A rose for Epona" :)

Oh the love, I adore Eluveitie, they're really really awesome and they always give me such a good mood. What can I say, I'm a sucker for irish/celtic music and they do it really well. They're full of power and it's always so energizing to listen to them. And of course I can't wait for the new album, I hope they continue going in this direction with less grunts and more Anna, it sounds better that way (also variation is always good, I think it gets boring if you use only grunts, there's not that much room for expression when it comes to this style of singing. Besides Anna's voice suits the folkish atmosphere perfectly).

Aaahh, I love Eluveitie! I first heard about them last year through another Nightwish fan elsewhere and gave them a look, and I haven't looked back since. They tap into both my metal fan and my Celtic music fan perfectly, and they're just so much fun to listen to. I also got my fiance into them as well, and they're about the only other band aside from Corvus Corax where he can tolerate bagpipes being used (he lives in the heart of Edinburgh, so he's constantly bombarded with bad pipers on street corners every day), so that certainly says something.

I don't have any issue with the simple cover design. Sometimes simplicity really does work best. As long as the music is good, who cares what it looks like? I don't buy a band's album for their cover art, after all.

I have mixed feelings on them, but I can't totally hate a metal band with a hurdy-gurdy in it.

^ Why mixed feelings?

Its funny, when Nuclear Blast released the Helvetios artwork, people (my bf included, tssk) were saying about how its a boring cover and I said that its a Celtic design and speaks volumes about the album and the band, and Nuclear Blast "liked" my comment... that oddly made me happy :)

Their music just didn't stick with me, though I can tell that they were doing something right and good with the folk melodies.

I really like Spirit and Slania but the latest albums are quite boring, especially Evocation I. Everything Remains (As It Never Was) was a huge disappointment for me. However, I'm gonna check Helvetios. Hope it's better than the previous two. At least, I like the cover. The picture and the colors are very simple.

I wasn't the hugest fan of Evocation to begin with, but I adore it now.... especially Sacrapos- At First Glance.... its so atmospheric and creepy and beautiful....

I do remember how obsessed I was when I first had Slania... I was on holidays and couldn't stop listening to that album, then I had the songs stuck in my head all the time, and would whistle them when I was fishing :P

If they can come up with a song as brilliant as Quoth the Raven, I'll be very happy :)

Oh indeed.

I only have known of them for a year and a bit but have collected the whole back catalogue and I'm very much anticipating Helvetious. I can totally dig Chrigel's fascination with the Gaul and his heritage. I feel the same way about mine (Scandinavian).

It's funny though (I think) how Chrigel is such a wordy and educated man who puts so much heart into his lyrics and then grunts them out so you have to follow the liner notes to understand half of what he's singing (when in English). However, I am not suggesting that they change, they have their "thing" going for them.

I also enjoy their Euli-TV they run on Youtube. They are very much a "people's band". Much like Terje and Heri from Týr, they get on their forum when time permits, answer direct questions personally and join in the forum banter. That is a rare thing these days (poke poke, hint hint).

New song Meet the Enemy. What can I say, I love the new song, it's sounds so great. Can't wait the album, only a couple of months left, yeah!

Yeah, I listened to it the other day, and I love it :music:

Its very typical them, the heavy part (the awesome Anna part) and the typical catchy jig like bridge.... I love it, they don't really disappoint me, even if something is not "as" good as something else, even their typical sound I still love, so I'm happy :music:

I dunno about the new song, I kinda get the feeling they're running out of ideas... I mean it's ok, I guess I like it, but there's nothing new or REALLY interesting, it seems kinda uninspired to me. I wish Elu would try to write some more original, perhaps catchier tunes, rather than just LOOK WE CAN DO LOADS OF IRISH JIGS AND REELS IN THE DORIAN MODE REALLY FAST! It's kind of a good sound I guess, but I think they've just overused it and it doesn't sound inspired and fresh anymore :(. I wish they'd do another song like Inis Mona that's based around a slower, simpler, and more importantly CATCHIER melody. Well, I guess this is just ONE song, maybe the album will be more varied... I don't dislike the song, but I think it sounds uninspired and has lost its freshness.

Not a fan of that song. It's too modal, as yappo mentioned. It's designed to be authentic but to our ears with the guitars and whatnot those strange modes just sound out of tune even though they're actually correct I guess. It's annoying. I like this band. I want to love them. The problem for me is the clumsy nature of their records. I mean for instance the worst offender is that horrid note passage in the Lugdnon guitar solo. It sounds like the guitar player has hit a bumnote and has tried to cover it up. Maybe it too is some folk mode technical choice. To me it just sounds like the arse of all things. There are irritating tuning differences between the 440 instruments and the folk instruments as well. When you're rocking decent pitch it just makes their songs hard to listen to. If all their songs could be like Quoth the Raven we'd be on a winner. The new song also has that QtR bit in it where the chick vocalist does almost the same thing as she did in QtR. It's as though they got told that was the best bit of the last record and they should do more ***** like it.

Ugh, disappointing :( The first part sounds like the vocals and the instrumental are from two different songs, then the instrumental bridge is awesome as always and then the vocals again and Anna doing that scream that I really don't like how it sounds or how it fits in (if they were trying to redo the Quoth the raven bit, well... they failed. and it's not like you should try to redo your gimmicks anyway, once is more then enough). Overall rather forgettable, but then again they don't seem to be very talented in choosing their singles, Thousandfold was probably one of the weakest songs of the album and Omnos, while really awesome, is definitely surpassed by quite a few of the other songs.

Yes that's another thing I forgot to mention, the whole "Interlude where Anna says something then screams" totally does just sound like they're trying cheaply to copy Quoth the Raven since it was popular. Adds to the whole uninspired/running out of ideas thing I was on about.

Eluveitie belong to my favourite Folk Metal bands because they have some great songs. :)

About the new song... it's not that bad.

Same as irum, I'm going to wait for the album to come out before listening to anything. Eluveitie have yet to really let me down, so I'm just going to buy the album in good faith when it comes out. My only complaint about them is the lack of translations for their lyrics. :fool: I love the Gaulish, but I would also love to know what it means. This is one of the few grunts and growls type bands that I really love, and I have the Gaulish lyrics to my favorite songs memorized, but I have no idea what they're about some times. Some of the translations can be found online, but not all, it drives me nuts. Some are based on old Gaulish legends and such, those I have found or knew to begin with, but others, not so much... You'd think a band who knowingly uses a dead language in oh, 90%? of their songs would think to provide translations for them. <_<

And, you're right Em, the cover is perfect. :ph34r: Clean, simple, and Celtic.

A Rose for Epona is available on their FB page now... really different, sounds a bit like Within Temptation to me XD. But yeah, I really like this one.

Edit: Now on

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THIS IS AMAZING.

I so did not expect that. Not even a tiny single bit. Oh my god my mind is blown. HOLY CRAP THIS IS SO GOOD. Oh my god. ANNA. I LOVE YOU.

Edit: Nono wait I can't just stop talking about this. I just clicked on this in a semi-curious way because I genuinely thought that Eluveitie's peak was over, I didn't like the last albums nearly as much as Slania and I didn't like the previous song either, so I just clicked cause I dunno I was avoiding studying and WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? This is just...whoaaahhh god my mind won't stop being blown! I don't know what the hell happened for them to make a song like...this, but do you hear me complaining??? I think this is what Nightwish attempt to do when they do folky stuff, and actually I get a very similar feeling from this as I got from The Owl, The Crow, and The Dove. My god Anna, that performance was stunning. Stunning doesn't even begin to cover it, no, stunning isn't even a fraction of a quarter of what I am trying to say here. I am in love with this. This song is perfection.This is everything I love about music. ANNA GIRL YOU BLOW MY ***** MIND WHERE WERE YOU ALL OF THESE YEARS OH MY GOD WOMAN YOU ARE THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO FOLK METAL

Ahem. I might be done. For now. I'm off to rape the repeat button.

Why is no one commenting on this? This song actually drives me insaneeeeeeeee. How is no one commenting on this masterpiece? The last time I was this overwhelmed by a song was Nightwish's Owl Crow Dove, and before that, I genuinely do not remember.