• Announcements

• WhiteRaven

Nightwish Online - Features   03/12/2017

Check out a summary of the new features and changes on NightwishOnline here: http://www.nightwishonline.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4478-nightwishonline-new-features/  
em_j_ottermaster

Eluveitie

109 posts in this topic

^ I knew I recognised it too, but I couldn't place it so thanks for figuring it out for me :P. I love it though :D It's much better than Meet the Enemy

Well I honestly doubt they would just blatantly have copied a melody, and they're known for using well-known melodies already, so I just assumed that neither those guys nor Eluveitie invented the melody, that it was just one of those old melodies that has existed for centuries or decades and we don't know the first occurence of anyways. Like Inis Mona. Cause I dunno, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't risk that kind of copyright problems :P

That's true, but I couldn't see BSC, a "trance metal" band, using a traditional folk melody :P

Wow, this is amazing! The other track they released was okay (it wasn't bad, but it could be better), but this is far better than that. This certainly gives me high hopes for the rest of the album.

I don't like the beginning of the song but the rest of the song is better.

Song 1: Kind of meh-ish.

Song 2: Yeps, it's really awesome and I like it a lot lot lot. Can't wait for the new album. the birdie song is still better

I don't listen to Eluveitie much or at all but I need a recomendation. I need very happy sounding folk metal songs with violins and/or flute, this band has anything of the sort? :)

Well Eluveitie aren't really the sort of band I'd recommend to anyone looking for very happy folk metal, they're more serious than most folk metal bands, favouring the authentic ancient celtic-y sounds over the happy bouncy stuff, but I suppose they have songs that are happier than others, like Omnos, Brictom, Inis Mona, Thousandfold, Lugdunon, Memento, Andro, and A Rose for Epona (the new one).

They're not the happiest bunch at all, indeed as yappo said, but that's also why they're the best by far, 'cause of their authenticity :D . Violins not that I know of, flutes - plenty, everywhere, every type.

/Pointless post

Nah there's plenty of violins... at least I hope so, otherwise I don't know what they're doing with a violinist in the band...

That's true, but I couldn't see BSC, a "trance metal" band, using a traditional folk melody :P

I can. Electronic bands sample songs from outside their genre all the time to give their song a different atmosphere. It's kind of like the middle of "Stone Cold Metal" by Ensiferum, when they suddenly switch to a fake Ennio Morricone sound, just to give it that fake Western sound. You wouldn't call Ensiferum a country band, but that part is still there, just in that one song.

Nahh I still couldn't see it. Sure actual electronic bands/artists do that but BSC are a metal band with trance influences, so the trance stuff is all just very typical, I couldn't see them experimenting beyond perhaps influences from other types of electronic music. And Stone Cold Metal is different, that's supposed to have a very obvious "western movie" feel, wheras Metropolice doesn't show any sings of being at all folk influenced. That melody isn't a particularly folky melody or anything, it's just a really simple melody that anyone could've written. I don't think it's the case that Elu stole it from BSC, but I also think it's highly unlikely that it's a traditional tune. I know my folk music and doesn't sound traditional at all, it's actually a very modern sounding melody.

Uhm ...what? Did I write that there were no violins? Wtf, what was I thinking?

Ignore me, I should stop posting until I can think again...

Ok thank you guys. :D Ooh dead serious folk metal, then I should probably check them out more thorougly.

has a new song in the background, and it's freakin' awesome :D. Set your pan controls to the right and turn up the volume and you get just the song :D

I really like the new song.. the only thing is it almost seems like it is trying to "outdo" Quoth The Raven when Anna sing-songs then screams, though I love it, I don't feel like it should be done again.

Anyone else see what I mean?

I preordered Helvetios because Nuclear Blast USA was selling it with a t-shirt for just $22, and I hope I won't be disappointed. Slania is my favorite album of theirs, and I don't feel like anything they've done since then is as awesome, although it's still decent material.

They'll be touring near here in a few days, but I decided against seeing them again as they aren't headlining this time (they're opening for Children of Bodom -- :bad: ). I don't like taking time off of work for shows unless the band I want to see is headlining. post84125168357274.gif I'm glad that I got to see them headline over here last February, though.

btw, Since its out.

Helvitios is EPIC :D

at least in my taste.

There are a few weak songs but overall I love it.

I've listened to the whole of Helvetios once through. I know that it took me 3-4 listens of Everything Remains to actually begin to enjoy any of what this band does so the jury is still out on whether Helvetios is going to be in my headphones often.

My gut feeling is that it's not.

It's because it's a weak record.

For starters the band has gotten way too hung up on their concept. It's so common for me these days to listen to a concept record, sigh and release a resounding "meh...". I simply couldn't give two-bob for the Gauls because the songs are not selling it to me. The conceptualisation is disjointed and this removes a lot of the 'epic' from the equation and replaces it with resounding confusion. The broad theme is "Well we got slaughtered but we still have our music...". Well there's a big problem because the hibbity-hip-du-hibby twostep hardcore drums in almost every track make me think of 14yr old tards in a bad circle pit, not Gauls. The feeling is all wrong in these tunes and no amount of bodhran can cover this up. The closest the get to a correct feeling is Rose of Epona which leads me to my point about production.

I was actually looking forward to this release because I was thinking to myself "Well if the band has identified some of the issues from the last record and fixed them then this should be dynamite". The problem is that the just didn't. The tuning of some of the folk instruments is still a problem. Anyone with good pitch can hear that they're a few hertz off where they should be. If you cant tune the old fiddle tune the guitars to it for fks sake. The production is still 'loudness war' fare and clips on most any listening system. The tone of guitar and bass are still far far away from industry standard. The biggest issue is that the vocals, especially the young lady's vocals, sound screechy and horrid in places. Its almost as though they did no post-prod on the old record at all.

The vibe I get fairly bad. This recent surge in concept albums in metal has really pissed me off because it seems that most bands are completely incapable of doing anything that's even slightly original and clever. To make matters worse for this album not only does it feel wrong, it sounds bad and poorly thought out. The constant and inappropriate drums irk me completely. The first term that came into my head when I listened to this record was "try-hard". I know that this is a term not used a lot these days but back in my day it referred to someone or something that was trying to be something cool and upbeat but as a result ended up looking absurd and loserish. The badly thought through concept supports this.

And I was feeling all of this before I heard whatever the hell that sound is on like 6 tracks that might be a sawtooth keyboard but sounds like 1000 angry bees.

Perhaps my opinion will change as I give this more eartime. The fact will always remain that I would rather a band put out one well-thought-out track than a full length yet wishy-washy concept album.

I preordered Helvetios because Nuclear Blast USA was selling it with a t-shirt for just $22, and I hope I won't be disappointed. Slania is my favorite album of theirs, and I don't feel like anything they've done since then is as awesome, although it's still decent material.

They'll be touring near here in a few days, but I decided against seeing them again as they aren't headlining this time (they're opening for Children of Bodom -- :bad: ). I don't like taking time off of work for shows unless the band I want to see is headlining. post84125168357274.gif I'm glad that I got to see them headline over here last February, though.

Ooh I'm interested in that preorder, I might get that. I am going to see them on tour. I hate all the other bands but I love Eluveitie and I'll be going with a friend and meeting up with a totally awesome girl from another forum and I really want to meet her because she is totally awesome.

I'm not extremely happy with the new album either. I mean yeah, it's fun, it's energetic and it's generally Eluveitie (and I don't need originality, I just need them to continue to do what they're good at as best as possible), but after quite a few listens there isn't any song that stuck to me. A rose to epona is the closest I got to actually remembering one of this songs, but now after a week since I last listened to it, I can't remember that one either. Everything is a bit bland and I wish they would've written something more memorable and attention grabbing.

I just got it yesterday so there was only time for a few spins but I have to say I am not disappointed! Not at all! Not at all!!!

For me there are some songs stuck in my head! A rose for Epona is brilliant!!! :wub: And the accoustic version of this song is damn awesome aswell!! (I first did not like it but on second listen it is great!!)

And other great songs that come to my mind are Alesia, Helvetios and Luxtos!!! Scorched earth is the only song I don´t (yet) like!!!

I like ERAINW but there were a few songs I did not get into and for me I really think I will get into Helvetios much better!!!

I think this will even turn out better and I´ll come back to express more of that: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I bought Helvetios some days ago. I wouldn't say I'm dissapointed because I didn't expect much from this release. There's some good songs, like A Rose for Epona, Luxtos and Alesia but rest of the album is quite boring. Rest of the songs are not memorable and just sounds like I have heard them before. So, Slania and Spirit are still my favorite albums.

My views on the album are pretty much what burning_flame said... apart from, I don't think it sounds "try-hard". I think it's the exact opposite, they're not trying hard enough, they're just doing what they always do without putting much imagination into it. My main problem is most of the album is just filler, it's not BAD music, it's listenable, but it's not at all memorable. There are a few good songs, like A Rose for Epona, Helvetios, and my personal favourite Luxtos, but when the filler greatly outnumbers the good stuff on an album, you know you've got a problem...

I just received my copy of the album, and I'm listening to it right now. I've only listened to about five tracks at the moment, but I don't find it to be that memorable so far....I can't even remember what I've listened to so far. post84125168357274.gif It's not bad, but it's definitely not going to be one of my top albums from 2012. I don't know if I'll ever like any of their albums more than Slania.

I don't like "Scorched Earth" at all, and, like Yappo, I feel like this album has a lot of filler-material.