snowhite

Your Recent Musical Discoveries

138 posts in this topic

Hi All.  So I just came across this band, Nachtmuse from Toronto.  They have a 2 song Name Your Own Price demo.  

There are 2 female singers, one of which is a soprano.  Check them out in this review we did for them.

https://noisebeneaththesnow.com/2017/10/12/nachtmuse-2017-demo-review-power-metalhard-rock/

1 minute ago, inwinterbleedin said:

Hi All.  So I just came across this band, Nachtmuse from Toronto.  They have a 2 song Name Your Own Price demo.  

There are 2 female singers, one of which is a soprano.  Check them out in this review we did for them.

https://noisebeneaththesnow.com/2017/10/12/nachtmuse-2017-demo-review-power-metalhard-rock/

Hi, we are all very well acquainted with Nachtmuse:

;)

Hey @Unstrung, your fans are here.

Oooh, so many. I've been having a rough patch with music these past few years but this year I feel like I'm finally getting into new (well, old) stuff again.

LAMB OF FRIGGIN' GOD. I just don't understand how I never liked these guys for years. They pretty much incorporate everything I love about metal. It's raw, it's incredibly clean and well produced (well depends on the album, but the ones I love the most are).
I know, I know, I'm late to the party, next year I'm gonna tell you guys "Oh look, I've discovered this new band, ever heard about Slayer?)

Thrice. They used to play some form of post-hardcore (a genre I really cant stand mostly, it's too punkish for me), but the newest album is much more sludge/hard rock, and this single is completely addictive (and has the most fantastic lyrics). It's probably the song I've listened to the most last year. Unfortunately missed their concert last week.

Walk off the Earth. Fantastic Canadian pop. They are initially known by their Cover songs, because they have an insane amount and they're always incredibly original and fun to watch on youtube (check them out), but they also have some original song albums, and this one is my favourite. So much happiness in this band. Man, I love pop. 

Fleshgod Apocalypse ! Symphonic technical death metal, all dressed up as italian operamen and women. Amazing. I've seen them in front of 70 000 people and I've seen them in front of less than 70, every single time they blow me off my feet !

MAKE THEM SUFFER. I looooove this band. It took me a long while for my ears to accept "core", and I still think most deathcore sounds boring as hell, but this band though - or at least their latest album, "Worlds Apart". The female vocals and the piano (not keys - piano !) makes EVERYTHING. Not to mention the gorgeous, gorgeous videos. One of my favourite bands ever - who unfortunately do not deliver live.
I dislike any other albums of theirs though, they don't sound the same at all.

On 6/24/2018 at 5:21 AM, snowhite said:

Oooh, so many. I've been having a rough patch with music these past few years but this year I feel like I'm finally getting into new (well, old) stuff again.

LAMB OF FRIGGIN' GOD. I just don't understand how I never liked these guys for years. They pretty much incorporate everything I love about metal. It's raw, it's incredibly clean and well produced (well depends on the album, but the ones I love the most are).
I know, I know, I'm late to the party, next year I'm gonna tell you guys "Oh look, I've discovered this new band, ever heard about Slayer?)

Thrice. They used to play some form of post-hardcore (a genre I really cant stand mostly, it's too punkish for me), but the newest album is much more sludge/hard rock, and this single is completely addictive (and has the most fantastic lyrics). It's probably the song I've listened to the most last year. Unfortunately missed their concert last week.

Walk off the Earth. Fantastic Canadian pop. They are initially known by their Cover songs, because they have an insane amount and they're always incredibly original and fun to watch on youtube (check them out), but they also have some original song albums, and this one is my favourite. So much happiness in this band. Man, I love pop. 

Fleshgod Apocalypse ! Symphonic technical death metal, all dressed up as italian operamen and women. Amazing. I've seen them in front of 70 000 people and I've seen them in front of less than 70, every single time they blow me off my feet !

MAKE THEM SUFFER. I looooove this band. It took me a long while for my ears to accept "core", and I still think most deathcore sounds boring as hell, but this band though - or at least their latest album, "Worlds Apart". The female vocals and the piano (not keys - piano !) makes EVERYTHING. Not to mention the gorgeous, gorgeous videos. One of my favourite bands ever - who unfortunately do not deliver live.
I dislike any other albums of theirs though, they don't sound the same at all.

I'm a fan of Thrice both old and new, but I was also listening to a lot of punk and hardcore in high school.  Perhaps it's nostalgia that makes me enjoy those first 3 albums. :P Their new single is pretty good, I've gotta say - then again, I've enjoyed every Thrice album (and I've been into them since "The Artist in the Ambulance" was brand spankin' new).  I suggest listening to "Vheissu" and everything after, as that's when they started to ditch the post-hardcore sound.  I also saw Fleshgod Apocalypse open for Epica once, they were incredibly good.

I discovered a band called Elvellon recently.  Not the most original stuff out there, but they do a very good job at making straight forward symphonic power metal that (of course) reminds me of Nightwish.  Has the same appeal as the recent Xandria albums - not exactly innovative, excruciatingly obvious where their influence comes from, but well done for what it is.

Very atmospheric death metal that distinctly reminds me of Immolation and Incantation.  I don't get why this band seems so underrated, they're incredibly good at what they do.  I'd like them to at least get to the same level as...well, the two bands I said they remind me of, in terms of popularity. :P

This band from New Orleans visited Finland for the first time @ Pori Jazz Festival this summer and I read a newspaper article about them and checked them out and was impressed. Alynda Segarra, with Puerto Rican roots, is the most captivatig vocalist I've become familiar in a long time. 

Hurray For The Riff Raff - Pa'lante:

A very good video with a actual story behind it. To help the intepretation, read this.

Another song from the excellent album 'The Navigator':

Hurray For The Riff Raff - Hungry Ghost

Seems an oldish thread but might be the right place. Found this label and band through YouTube suggest - the interesting thing being it has now decided I'm good for foreign language content! (I consider this a breakthrough if it isn't obvious).

Know nothing about the band or the label. The song I'll guess is titled, "Winter's Song". It starts out with a Celtic feel and about half way introduces an almost thrash beat ending in a metal or maybe hard rock style. Curious about the label now (Scarlet Records). Maybe this is common knowledge, don't know. It's new to me.

This sounds like 80s heavy metal like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden collided with 80s gothic rock like The Sisters of Mercy and The Mission and created a beautiful, beautiful baby.
The singer reminds me of Davey from AFI, though.
:P

In any case, I like it!

The Hu in London. Diplomats and dignitaries get to have all the fun! Come on guys, invite me in. I'm harmless (promise?)

From the comments sounds like these guys usually play amplified - I'm guessing it's loud!

This song came up as a recommendation for me on YT and I was curious how symphonic/folk metal sounds with Spanish lyrics:

Aaand I ended up checking more of their stuff! They have a pleasant, not very heavy, refreshing sound, which suits my mood nowadays. (If you like Élan, you might like them too!)