Frostec

Dimmu Borgir

56 posts in this topic

@Razorclaw I'm not sure I understand what you mean at all.

I don't miss the clean vocals on Eonian, and I think it will work pretty well to have the choir on playback. 

By the way, I think Shagrath did a few lines of clean vocals on this record as well if that's him, (he sings clean in the end of Gateways and a few lines in The Demiurge Molecule on Abrahadabra). My physical copy hasn't arrived yet so I can't check.

Okay, so the first time I listened to "Eonian", I honestly didn't like it all that much.  It kind of came off as light weight, but I think that's because of just how over the top orchestral "Abrahadabra" was while this one's a bit more stripped down and band oriented (like EFMB I guess?).  It's grown on me significantly, and the only song I'm still having trouble with is "Interdimensional Summit" - I feel like I should enjoy it, since it has an almost extreme power metal vibe to it and I love power metal (I'm on the Nightwish forum for god's sake! :P) but it just bores me to tears.

My favorite is definitely, without a doubt, "I Am Sovereign".  Those choirs, those eastern melodies, Shagrath's voice... it's all fantastic!

I am really enjoying the new album as well, somehow it's amazing background music for when you're reading or writing or similar, which is not something that can be said for a lot of bands of the Symphonic Black Metal genre. There are no cacophonies or songs I skip, it is a pretty solid album.

I'm currently at Midgardsblot, waiting for the band, watching the stage being assembled, and soundcheck by the crew.

Did you know btw that Arjan of Revamp used to be guitar tech for Dimmu back in Abra-era? I don't see him there now though.

Stage is starting to look really grand. I have maanaged to find a place to stand on a bench just by the sound booth so I will hear great and see great :D

Rotting Christ played previously. Not my cup of tea.

It's starting to become a bit chilly, but I wont risk losing my perfect spot by going back to the tent, so I'll just have to suffer through it. I imagine I won't feel the cold anyway by the time they start.

Have been looking forward to this concert so much :) First time for me seeing them live.

They were so good. They got a great response from the audience. I'm so glad I went, despite various lack of time related travel issues.

I loved the atmosphere at the festival and I think I decided already when I had walked through half of the festival grounds, that if only for the location I would return. And now I know I surely will. I only had time, in the end, to be at Midgardsblot for half a day and camp one night.

One of, if not the best concert I've been to. Everything included.

Shagrath said that it was his youngest daughter's first Dimmu Borgir concert. I saw afterwards that his family and also old Dimmu member Tjodalv had been watching from the sound booth. The concert had a strong home ground feel to it.

Sometimes when I've watched recordings of Dimmu, they don't always have that captivating stage presence. But last night they really did. I think it's when they feel the support from the crowd that they really shine. Though Shagrath easily held the biggest role and was very captivating; the rest of the band felt quite present. Both Galder and Shagrath struck me as really tall people.

The had a guest from Mayhem on guitar playing during the intro of Indoctrination and that song. They played something old from Mayhem; I recognized it, but don't know the name of the song.

They played, from Eonian, The Unveiling, Interdimensional Summit, Council of Wolves and Snakes and Archaic Correspondence (he didn't exactly sing the few lines of clean vocals, he did more like a whisper, I was wondering if he was going to be doing it live). Of those, they got the biggest reaction to the singles, and they did sound good, but somehow I think Archaic sounds more natural, as  generally feel also about the record; the last half is the best, as it's both such good songs while really sounding like Dimmu, and the first part o f the record being more experimental. It's also good, but I think maybe the songs as they were on the record don't flow as naturally live. Although I think they are finding the way more and more now as they're playing them live. For example, Shagrath sings more in the Chorus of Interdimensional Summit. 

And hearing Progenies thundering majestically over Borre, with colored lighting playing in the threes on the sides of the stage, and being part of the crowd watching transfixed, and seeing people around me loving the music and being so into it - the music becoming part of everyone there -  I'll never forget this.

I'm writing this sittinng at a cafe in Copenhagen airport. My flight from Oslo was delayed (as was the theme of this trip - time issues *sigh*) and I missed my train, and it's 2h left now until the next one. I'll be home around 1 am tomorrow... My back is pain from sleeping in tent and carrying heavy bag. But so worth it :)

Yeah! I saw that. I'm thinking of maybe seeing them in Tilburg. (Maybe Anneke will make a guest appearance with Amorphis since she lives there? (I think she lives in Tilburg. Or Eindhoven which isn't very far away.) This is such a great package! I love both Dimmu and Amorphis.

Is anyone else seeing them?