Sign in to follow this  
The Witchdrummer

The Cranberries

21 posts in this topic

Okay, let's try this again, without any "special effects" this time... I'll come back to edit this once the non-thinking version of the editor is back.

The Cranberries

2w5kjyt.png

The Cranberries are an Irish rock band formed in Limerick in 1989 under the name The Cranberry Saw Us, later changed by vocalist Dolores O'Riordan. The band currently consists of O'Riordan, guitarist Noel Hogan, bassist Mike Hogan and drummer Fergal Lawler. Although widely associated with alternative rock, the band's sound also incorporates indie, indie pop, rock, post-punk, Irish folk and pop rock elements.

The Cranberries rose to international fame in the 1990's with their debut album Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?, which became a commercial success and sold over five million copies in the United States. The group was one of the most successful rock acts of the '90s and sold over 14.5 million albums in the United States alone. The band's biggest hits are Linger, Zombie and Ode To My Family. After their third album they took a break, and returned in 1999 with a new single, Promises.

Currently they are active again, after a long break. Their new album, Roses, will be released on February 14th 2012.

DISCOGRAPHY

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (1993)

1ru5g6.jpg

No Need To Argue (1994)

25a3gxl.jpg

To The Faithful Departed (1996)

2db1pvn.jpg

Bury The Hatchet (1999)

2yluxar.jpg

Wake Up And Smell The Coffee (2001)

16kci3a.jpg

Roses (2012)

34fy993.png

~Official Site~

Yay, The Cranberries :) I love them so much! Heard the new song on our local radio and it's actually quite nice. I also like the cover for Roses :)

That's great to hear! I especially love Schizophrenic Playboy and Show Me The Way from the new album, and hopefully Astral Projection, if they haven't messed it up in those 8 years. XD

In case anyone has been looking for these for years: Like You Used To and False are finally available in high(er) quality! Since I'm usually talking to myself in this thread (remember the old forum?) I'm not going to go out of my way to find the links again, but if anyone's interested I'll be happy to provide the links after all! XD

At the mods: Like You Used To and False are old, unreleased songs that were finally broadcasted on an Irish radio special after 19 years. Nothing illegal about sharing it! ;)

Grrrr, they changed the release date for Roses AGAIN! First it was autumn 2011, then it was January, then it was February 14th (yes, really), and now it's late February? Oh come on! >_<

Previews of Roses have surfaced already! *BOUNCE* Listen to them here:

• couch.gif On
iTunes;

(Credits: Cordell)

• couch.gif Or for those who don't have iTunes (like me), you can download them
here!

(Credits: Adriano)

We just saw this band in Auckland recently, second time only in NZ first was 16 years ago. They are incredible live!! Delores although only small has a huge on stage presence and an incredible voice. My kids have grown up with them (along with Metallica and Sabbath) being played to death in the car and loved the concert too. My son is now doing a Bachelors of Music at Uni and loved Delores use of vocalisation ( gotta introduce him to Bjork :) ). Again a brilliant band live!! :music:

This band brings a lot of memories as well for me. I only have the "No Need to Argue" tape given to me by my cousin as a birthday gift when I was 7. I grew up with their music and like every releases they did.

"Bury the Hatchet" seconds my favorite album from them. I remember the MV for "Promises" with scarecrow and such..

I was invited to see them live in 2010 when they performed at the royal Albert Hall and it was an astounding concert!

I'm not a massive fan, but thei fanbase seems to me to be pretty diverse. I see their name everywhere! I really like the first two albums. I may get the rest, im not entirely sure though.

Get To The Faithful Departed and Bury The Hatchet, both are great!

Oooohhh, one of my favorite bands! My Cranberries -collection includes Bury the Hatchet, Everybody else is doing it, so why can't we?, To the faithful departed and No need to argue. I also have their Stars -collection. Dolores has got such a unique voice and the way she sings is almost out of this world. It's just so beautiful it gives me chills.

I remember that during the 90's every now and then I managed to hear their songs from the radio, but somehow I forgot them. About 5 years ago I "found" them again. At first I looked their videos on youtube before I started to collect their albums.

Zombie is one of the best songs of the 90's for me and I can play it anytime and anywhere.

I really like the voice of Dolores what may not come as a big surprise, since Sinead O'Connor is my favourite female singer. They do have a lot in common, vocal wise, but I think Sinead has even more possibilities and is a bit more intense.

Human Spirit from her first solo album Are YouListening? (2007)

Cranberries covering Fleetwood Mac's 'Go Your Own Way':

Dreams

Used to listen to Everybody Else is Doing it..to bits, when it was released. Still one of my favorite poprock records. The songs are strong and the production is amazing. Dreams is and will always be one of my all time favorite songs. After No Need to Argue I kind of lost the band completely, well it was alternative/progressive-rock/metal from there on for me. But EEIDISWCW (why didn't they choose something shorter as a title :) ) remains one of my favorite records.

@Serena

Knew you would like that cover :music: since you're probably the biggest Cranberries fan on this forum :giggle:

@Harvest

Same story here. And I think they became a bit repetitive to my ears after their first two albums. I really like 'Dreams', but 'Zombie' has it all.  

I actually love To The Faithful Departed and Bury The Hatchet! They are pretty good records!

But also EEDSWCW!

@Hunebedbower I LOVE that concert!

@Serena

Do you know this accoustic version of Go Your Own Way?

It never fails to amaze me seeing small singers have these 'big' voices. Somehow you don't expect that. In this clip, you really see Dolores holding back, but still when she sings softly, you hear her potential power. Another example of that is Anouk, I think the most powerful female singer in the NL, probably in Europe.

Ah, good to see some new posts here! They have been my pet band since '94 (am I repeating myself? Probably... XD), I really miss them. The old them, that is. They still exist, sort of, but Dolores seems enjoy suing people more than making music. XD

She hasn't been okay lately though. But to be completely honest; because of this, she seems to be returning to her old self more. I'm starting to see some of the old Dolores back in interviews, that good 'ol Irish attittude, and I like that. Hopefully this will shine through in her new music too.

Speaking of which, this is a fantastic site to keep up with any news concerning The Cranberries:

http://www.cranberriesworld.com

Cranberries news is extremely scarce these days, but if there is any at all, you'll find it there. :-)

30 years after forming in Limerick (initially as The Cranberry Saw Us) The Cranberries are set to release their 8th and final album ‘In The End’. With Stephen Street once again taking producer duties, the eleven-track record brings a remarkable career to a fitting and powerful closure.

While it is tinged with sadness following Dolores’ unexpected death on January 15th 2018, ‘In The End’ is not a valediction, it is a celebration, one that stands as a powerful testimony to the life and creative work of Dolores and her brothers in music Noel, Mike and Fergal.

The genesis of ‘In The End’ began in May 2017 while the band were on tour. By winter of 2017 Noel and Dolores had written and demoed the eleven songs which would eventually appear on the album. In coming to terms with her tragic passing Noel, Mike and Fergal listened to the songs and, with the support of Dolores’ family, wanted to honour their close friend, and collaborator by completing the record.

Speaking about the band’s concerns at the time Noel said “we knew this had to be one of the, if not the, best Cranberries album that we could possibly do. The worry was that we would destroy the legacy of the band by making an album that wasn’t up to standard. Once we had gone through all the demos that Dolores and I had worked on and decided that we had such a strong album we knew it would be the right thing and the best way that we could honour Dolores.”

The album is a strong goodbye from the band to their fans, a fitting tribute to their bandmate and friend and, most importantly, a collection of powerful songs that can take their rightful place with The Cranberries’ previous six records.

intheend.jpg

1. All Over Now
2. Lost
3. Wake Me When It's Over
4. A Place I Know
5. Catch Me If You Can
6. Got It
7. Illusion
8. Crazy Heart
9. Summer Song
10. The Pressure
11. In The End

https://thecranberries.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=41194

“I can’t think of a more fitting way to commemorate the first anniversary of Dolores’ passing and to celebrate her life than to announce to the world the release of her final album with the band.”  Eileen O’Riordan, Dolores O’Riordan’s mother.

"In The End" will be released on 26.04.2019. Announcing the album, the band has shared the first single "All Over Now":