Captain Nemo

Xandria

468 posts in this topic

Xandria is a symphonic metal band from Germany and surely well known in the scene all over the world.

As they will release a new album in February 2012 I would like to post some infos on it and start a discussion about it here! :)

coverbig.jpg

Title: Neverworld´s End

Tracklisting:

1. A Prophecy Of Worlds To Fall

2. Valentine

3. Forevermore

5. Euphoria

4. Blood On My Hands

6. Soulcrusher

7. The Dream is still Alive

8. The Lost Elysion

9. Call Of The Wind

10. A Thousand letters

11. Cursed

12. The Nomad´s Crown

13. When the Mirror Cracks (bonus track)

Release dates:

Germany, Austria, Switzerland, BeNeLux and Italy: Feb 24th 2012

Spain, Finland, Sweden: Feb 22nd 2012

Rest of Europe: Feb 27th 2012

USA / Canada: Mar 6th 2012

More release dates for other countries to be announced as soon as possible!

:good:

Oh, so much tasty releases next year! Epica, Sonata Arctica and this! Cover is especially beautiful. Their new frontwoman is very nice and this band has fans who don't make holywar everywhere due it :yes:

^ Yes, so many great albums to look forward to next year as well! I hope this one will be worth it; their last album didn't do much for me (maybe I just haven't listened to it enough?), but I loved India and Ravenheart, so I'm hoping for something at the level of those two.

Wow, that album cover looks... Different. :huh: I hope they haven't been channeling Nightwish! :giggle: I like Xandria so much because they are so unique. But meh, I'll be happy to have a new album by them even if they do start to blend in, they are wonderful musicians. Friggin' late US release dates... :mimora: Grrrrr...

I wanna hear the new singer already! :D Been bugging me for ages... :D

I've heard the clip, and I think it sounds pretty good, but I'm not quite sure it's official so it probably is better not to post a link :). Seeing as they've played it live though I don't think it's an issue if we want to discuss it.

I'm really impressed with the new track, Valentine really has something there that wasn't before, but I can't put my finger on it (other than Manuela's vocals of course :P)

There's a lot more energy in this track compared to their older material. Very different, but at the same time I can hear so much "typical Xandria" in Valentine as well.

The reviewers I've talked to so far are giving very favorable opinions of the new album. The comment I've heard the most is that it's reminiscent of "old Nightwish," but the new song didn't really give me that vibe at all (guess I'll see once I've heard the whole thing).

They did say it's more symphonic, and that there's nice amounts of violin + bagpipes here and there throughout the album.

Really looking forward to their new album . Its been a long time coming. Not sure how they will sound without lisa's vocals, but they are such a quality band i expect the album to be nothing short of excellent. A more symphonic sound would be most welcome.

I would be really surprised if they sounded like nightwish of old(sounds much better than old nightwish) not unless they've really changed their sound.

I confess that I only know two songs of Xandria: Ravenheart and Save my Life. But I'm curious about their new album because I read an interesting review about it lately.

The review is a report from their studio which can be found in the latest issue of Metal Hammer Germany.

new album is going to be better than previous, the new singer, Manuela, is more powerful than Lisa.

The new song "Valentine" reminds me the song "End of all hope" from Nightwish.

In most of the song, Manuela's voice is really awful.

She may have a classical trained voice, but I think she doesn't really know how to use it.

Also, she's not very precise in singing her vocal lines.. so she sounds a bit off the rhythm all the way through the song

Being a Tarja-clone won't help at all.. she's far from being as good as the 'Nowadays-Tarja' and even further away from being as great as the 'Oceanborn-Wishmaster-Tarja'.

Last but not least.. the song sounds like every generic symphonic metal song that has been released in the last ten years.

Valentine is pretty generic, but it's most likely the single, which is probably why they would do it that way. I thought Manuela sounded great--definitely stronger than Lisa, though Kerstin was the best of the three.

^ I can understand why you feel that way about Manuela, but saying she's a 'Tarja clone' is a bit of a stretch. Tarja didn't invent that style of singing, so it isn't like it belongs to her and everyone else is just a cheap copy. :P

But when you ask someone if he knows any metalbands that are fronted by chick, he/she will probably answer "Sure, there's Arch Enemy and that one band with that opera-singer.. I've heard they canged their vocalist, though.. and that they would do popmusic now. Too bad."

So, everyone with nearly no knowledge of symphonic metal will say that every other opera-styled singer in that genre sounds like Tarja and therefore recognize every other symphonic metal-band as Nightwish. :P

And btw, I indeed think she sounds alot like Tarja, or that she at least tries to sound like her..

Well, whether or not other people identify 'female fronted metal bands' by having a classically trained vocalist isn't quite the issue here. Anyone who is familiar / mostly listens to this type of music will know better than to assume "classical voice = Tarja" (she also isn't the only one that is fairly well-known, at least for the 'female-fronted metal' fanbase.) The most well known? That's probably a safe guess--and I don't think there is anything wrong with someone saying "___ reminds me of Tarja."

My point is that it isn't correct to assume that just because a singer sounds like another means they are completely copying off of them, or attempting to be a "clone." Manuela sounds similar, but there really isn't any reason to assume she is singing like that solely so she sounds just like Tarja. Now, I don't think it's completely outlandish to come to that conclusion, but it's still a bit of a jump (and a little unfair to the talented singers out there who enjoy that style of singing) to take that stance towards anyone even close to sounding like Tarja.

I'll admit, copying happens all the time--we take influences from things we like and/or see, that's how it is. You can hear it from musicians other than singers, as well. But I hear some traits in her live voice versus Tarja's live voice that makes the two distinguishable. Does she sound a bit like Tarja? I don't see it as much as others, but I can understand why some do.

Tarja might have been the first with that style for metal (correct me if I'm forgetting someone) and it makes sense that those that follow would take influence from her, but I don't think (for most) that their intention is nessecerily to sound just like her. (Which is implied when someone says they're a clone).

And if Tarja was an inspiration to her, I don't see that as a bad thing if she wants to pursue a similar style. :)

I'm sorry if I'm taking what you said way too literally and for rambling on and on. :unsure: My post seems a little ridiculous and pointless in retrospect. I'm not quite sure what I was trying to say.

Since I'm worried I'm getting off topic... I'm reserving my judgement on Manuela's vocal talent until we get the full album next month. She's definitely a bit rough sounding still, but for the most part she fills in Lisa's role pretty well. I had a feeling (especially since they first previewed Valentine with Kerstin) that Manuela's vocal style & a more 'typical symphonic-metal' style was what they were going towards. I'll give them props for trying something different--as much as I enjoy their music, a lot of it sounds very similar.

EDIT: I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding, but I'm not saying the opposite viewpoint is wrong. I can understand and partially agree with it. :)

Edited by Aurënfaie

...I'm...sorry? I wasn't trying to be rude. I know it's your opinion. I never said it was wrong. There's nothing wrong with feeling that they sound similar. I just felt there wasn't any basis to say she's a copycat, and I explained why. It doesn't matter if they're both opinions, that doesn't mean we can't comment / discuss on point of views. Whether you think that is the case or not is perfectly fine, that wasn't my issue. You're allowed to think it, I never said you couldn't. I didn't say "You are wrong!! No one copies ever!!111 And you can't think otherwise!" I said "I don't think that's the case, and here is why." I apologize if it did come off that way, it wasn't my intention.

I didn't realize you have all heard this "a thousand times." I've been browsing the Nightwish forum (without posting) for several years now, and I don't recall the topic coming up, but it probably has... I'm sorry I brought it up again, though. I'm not used to posting, and this is why I usually don't.

There was no need to be so condescending. I wasn't telling you you were wrong. I was trying to have a discussion.

Edited by Aurënfaie

Sorry for giving the impression of being condescending.. This was not my intention.

Of course you cannot call everyone singing opera-styled in Female Fronted Metal a Tarja-copycat.

But Manuela and Tarja really have some things in common.

Their voice-colour is pretty similar, the pronounciation also and of course their singing style.

If you imagine the beginning of 'End of All Hope' and then the beginning of 'Valentine'.. you will find that there are so many parallels.

Not just in the voices, but also in the songs themselves.

On topic:

I just listened to "Valentine" again. In the verses Manuela sounds quite nice I have to say.. but that chorus is just awful.

Edit:

So, we're both sorry now.. everything is fine. :P

I usually don't post in forums that much myself because everything you say somehow offends other people and I really don't want to offend anyone.. of course I didn't want to take you the joy of sharing your opinions either.. if I did, that would make me feel really bad actually. ^^

Giving both a quick listen, I admit I can see what you mean. Especially comparing the two you mentioned. There's still something discernible between them that I can't put a finger on, which is probably why I had my initial confused reaction towards other's comparisons, but for the most part their voices are around the same style / pitch. Tarja's is a bit higher / stronger. I think I just misunderstood you.

Valentine's chorus is a bit sloppy, but I like the melody. The singing sounds out of place alongside all of the noise--overall it just doesn't suit her voice. Kerstin seemed to carry the song fairly well, but Manu seems to be fighting to be heard over it. (I can't tell if it's just the audio quality). It might be an okay live song though, since it's sort of catchy. Hoping the rest of the album doesn't sound exactly the same.

Giving both a quick listen, I admit I can see what you mean. Especially comparing the two you mentioned. There's still something discernible between them that I can't put a finger on, which is probably why I had my initial confused reaction towards other's comparisons, but for the most part their voices are around the same style / pitch. Tarja's is a bit higher / stronger. I think I just misunderstood you.

Well, it's fairly easy to misunderstand someone on the internet.. but I think in this case I must admit that I was the one who was rude and I really am sorry for that. ;)

I agree that Tarja's voice is a bit higher, though.

Maybe it was the melody of the beginning that made me think of Tarja and Nightwish immediately.

Valentine's chorus is a bit sloppy, but I like the melody. The singing sounds out of place alongside all of the noise--overall it just doesn't suit her voice. Kerstin seemed to carry the song fairly well, but Manu seems to be fighting to be heard over it. (I can't tell if it's just the audio quality). It might be an okay live song though, since it's sort of catchy. Hoping the rest of the album doesn't sound exactly the same.

Exactly that is what I meant to say.

It just sounds like they have mixed her in the front, so that you can hear her.. but unfortunately, everything in the background sounds like a mess because of that.

I can understand why some people would compare this to older NW. I also saw one of my friends, who has heard the entire album, compare it to older NW on Facebook. It is not just her vocals, of course. There's also some power metal in there. But really, I have never been impressed by them, and I'm still not after having heard this song. Much of it sounds a bit bland to me - simply not very imaginitive. You might have a point about her vocals being too up front in the mix.