• Announcements

• WhiteRaven

Nightwish Online - Features   03/12/2017

Check out a summary of the new features and changes on NightwishOnline here: http://www.nightwishonline.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4478-nightwishonline-new-features/  
Captain Nemo

Xandria

468 posts in this topic

Here's the samples of Neverworld's End. It sounds pretty good, quite different compared to Xandria's other stuff.

I can see the reviewer's point now. This sounds very Nightwish influenced.

WoW Xandria new album look so great I heard Valentine and its a amazing and I dont think its an old Nightwish era song no no no Xandria been great in their won way and if we take a look to the ravenheart album you will find amazing album like no other and its level just like any powerfully nightwish album songs like Pure and too close to breath and some like it cold and ever-sleeping are too wonderful songs I think Tuomas would love to but them in NW album XANDRIA is just band that deserve a lot more attention they are smart in very deferent way I have never ever seen in my life and I know some says they copying some stuff like in love with darkness it sounds WT stand My ground and India and sounds wishmaster I dont believe in that they are very XANDRIA and if Xandria trying to do that I dont think they could do very great three albums year after year and create such songs like Dancer and a lot of great solos like we heard on the seventh veil

but Im still afraid of the New album because I heard the new singer live and its nothing like Kristen 's energy on stage and her personality along with the screams dont forget :rolleyes: so im afried she would not give much justice to the album as much as should be but when I get the album I will Tell so I shouldn't judge I wont hear the simples because I can see long timing songs and that is new thing to all Xandria 's work and that making me want to heart it from the top till down so let get the album :diablo:

I still miss you lisa :wub:

lisamiddelhauve-728221.jpg

Xandria.jpg

Xandria_-_Salome_-_The_Seventh_Veil.jpg

In my opinion.. the samples do sound a lot like (old) Nightwish.

I have to hear them again to point out which ones I mean exactly.

I'm not surprised this new album is getting good reviews, the samples sound good.

Sounds decent, I think I like it. It's a pretty typical Xandria single. Valentine will probably be the weakest song on the album, but it's still fairly energetic (and catchy) so it may work better live.

Edit: My original post was a mess.

Edited by Aurënfaie

I don't like listening to samples, I want the whole experience when I hear a song for the first time. But I checked out the live performance of Valentine and eh... it's very generic and somehow.... empty. There's nothing more but the voice, the instruments are just a back up (maybe it's because of the sound as well, the voice was way louder).

As for Manuela, she seems a bit dull on stage. And I don't know why, because when I saw her in Haggard, she was full of energy and headbanging and having fun and being really cool. In this video she had absolutely no stage presence, she was just there singing like she was rehearsing. Maybe she was nervous because fronting your own band is different from sharing the stage with 15 other people and not having the lead, but still. And indeed she sounds a lot like Tarja, but I don't think that's something voluntary. I mean she's classically trained so she obviously has that classical singing stamp, but the voice colour is not something you can fake. You can adjust it a bit, but either you have a certain voice colour, either you don't. And hers just happens to be very similar to Tarja's. Add the classical singing and you have a mini-Tarja, but I don't think she's actively trying to copy Tarja or that she has much choice in how unique her voice is or is not.

Valentine is completely generic, that's what irks me the most about it. It's weird, because I'm not really disliking it...it's just I'm not getting anything out of it. It feels really formulaic, like I've heard it before. Styles have been done to death (especially in this genre) but artists sometimes manage to put something interesting out. Valentine is missing that. I can't tell if Manuela's vocal delivery is what is subpar, or if the instrumental is just a mess.

It might be that Valentine being generic subtracts from the entire experience of the song. Her singing is decent, and the music is alright, but together it sounds like some sort of 'typical symphonic-metal soup' that they just tossed all the usual ingredients into it and this is what came out. I think what I'm grasping at is that it's lacking further substance / thought, which is why it comes out empty. There isn't anything that particularly stands out or was creative.

Valentine is still a pretty energetic track, so hopefully if Manuela warms up a bit, it will work for them live.

Thankfully from the samples it sounds like Xandria put a lot more into the rest of the record, the other the tracks seem stronger. The review Captain Nemo posted mentions that:

Many will regardless of the differences dismiss this as a Nightwish clone but as a Nightwish fan myself (yep, the truth is out) they really are fire and ice. Xandria burn. The songwriting here has the feel of a band suddenly let loose with all the cannons they’d ever wished for and realise what a sound they have a talent for.

and I feel like this covers the feel of the other tracks pretty well. It doesn't seem to be stronger solely because they aimed for a 'heavier' sound, it sounds like a huge heap of ideas that they never used are now spilling out into their music. Whether this will sound good or bad I'm not sure, but as long as the rest aren't as messy as Valentine, it could be alright.

India was always my favorite album from the first time I listened to Xandria, so I don't mind the louder / bombastic approach, but Lisa's voice brought a certain charm to Xandria's music--they didn't come off as trying too hard to be heavy or copying everyone else in the genre, especially with Kill the Sun (maybe less so in later releases). The samples didn't really seem to have any of those feelings from their previous work. Most reviewers said the new sound suits them, but we'll see.

I like it a lot, I liked Xandria's music before but now its so different and really good than before, anyway I still loving Lisa but this is just awesome and better

@Captain Nemo--

I wasn't saying that I completely dislike it or anything, I do enjoy Valentine. Valentine being simple is to be expected from a single, so no disappointment there. I also don't mind if the style 'suits' them, though it seems it does anyway--Neverworld's End (from the samples) sounds pretty much like traditional Xandria only with more bombast and more energy, and I'm glad they went in that direction because a lot of their older works sounded alike.

And I agree completely about Lisa, she is a bit overrated. Sure, her voice is nice, but it's delicate and simple, and lacks strength, especially, like you said, in tracks like India.

I loved Kerstin and really enjoy Manuela, so I'm happy with the change in direction and vocals.

I suppose I was overly harsh about Valentine, but I've never been a big fan of most songs released as singles in this genre for the reasons previously mentioned. The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. I do see your point, however, with the chorus and the overall feel of the song / why they did it that way. I might just need some time for Valentine to grow on me and to notice all the pieces of the song. :)

And let´s be honest, Lisas voice was to thin to do loud and bombastic symphonic metal with it

That was the whole point, that Xandria wasn't bombastic symphonic metal and that Lisa didn't have the typical powerful operatic voice that you encountered in basically every symphonic female fronted band from the time they were born. They were *gasp* different, with Lisa's arabic inflexions and warm exotic voice that wasn't about getting as high and as powerful as possible, but about matching the ethereal atmosphere of the music. And they should've stayed that way because that was their charm and what separated them from the hundreds of clones.

And I think india is their weakest album.

True, it was simple and not dynamic and energetic, but I actually liked that about them. Because I think there's room for something like that in the symphonic area.

I've got my ears into Valentine and I wanna say IT"S FKING AWESOME!! And I'm sooo glad that it's not that generic, it's full of hooks and a full guitar solo!

Listened to Valentine today. It reminded me of early Nightwish a lot because her voice a bit similar to Tarja's.

No doubt that the similarities to older Nightwish are obvious - but I really can't get into this. IMO, it lacks any sort of surprising element or originality. Guitars and keyboard sound somewhat predictable to me, lacks variety, and it feels like it is all trying very hard, but failing (not horribly, cause it ain't bad - just not something that'll stick with me).

Of course if you like the melodies (especially vocally) it makes it all better, no matter if might a bit too "safe".

Yes, listened to Neverworld's End last night and I am impressed. Manuela's voice is stunning and the band has taken a really long step with songwriting and also with production. My first thoughts were along the lines that 'hey this could be Nightwish after Wishmaster if they didn't start using big orchestras and movie score elements in their music'. Tarja fans will have a heyday with this album, I think... I need to have a few more listens until my final judgement, but I can tell already that with Neverworld's End Xandria will show up regularly on my playlist on the months to come.