Captain Nemo

Xandria

560 posts in this topic

Oh wow I don't really know what to think about that, on the one hand it's a worrying situation about Dianne but on the other hand I'm also very curious to see Xandria with Aeva Maurelle, I'm a big fan of her and her band Aeverium...

:( I hope all is well too! I'm not big into Xandria, but they did seem to really have a solid presence and chemistry on stage. It would be a shame to lose Dianne. And she's fantastic besides!

Really sad news, I think Dianne was perfect for the band, I hope she gets well soon :cry: She's one of my favourite singers.

On the other hand I think they couldn't have got a better replacement. Aeva's voice is beautiful, her style is similar to Anette's, give her and her band Aeverium a chance ;)

(She is also touring with Kamelot btw, she does a pretty good version of Sacrimony imo) h

8 hours ago, netsuff said:

A lot of room for speculations or interpretations ...

To me it sounds this may be temporary because of possible health issues ? On her FB-account there are (unusual) few postings since midth of July ...

It's definitely worded that way. They call her "our singer", implying she's still in the band. If Dianne is ill, I wish her a speedy recovery. Could also be personal issues, unrelated to the band. On the other hand, I can't help thinking they're keeping keeping a door open for her but that whatever she's dealing with right now might make it difficult for her to return later. For example if she had severe issues with a stalker and want to stay away from the spotlight for a while.

But yeah, at least there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between her and the band. I hope it's nothing too serious and that she just needs a short break but I guess time will tell.

38 minutes ago, WhiteLagoon said:

Aeva's voice is beautiful, her style is similar to Anette's....

Well compared to Anette Aeva has also a classical background and is a sopran singer. She might not use her classical voice that much with Aeverium because she seperates her classical performances under her real name with her performances with Aeverium (Aeva Maurelle is her pseudonym for Aeverium) but I think this acoustic performance shows more of Aeva's classical voice, I'm sure you will hear more of her classical background at the shows with Xandria:

I knew she had some classical background but I think people might check her Aeverium stuff rather than her classical performances, and there she sounds a liiiiitle bit similar to Anette. Btw I didn't know that wasn't her real name!! Could you tell me how it is?

Anyway I think her contemporary vocals would fit with the old material. I think Too Close to Breathe would sound gorgeous sung by Aeva. It's also a very symphonic song so I think it would fit with the post-Lisa stuff.

Yeah that's right Aeva's voice would also fit with the old stuff, it could be interesting if she will sing songs like "Ravenheart" or "Now & Forever" with her contemporary vocals or more in a classical way like Dianne (or Manuela). Aeva could really do both styles but as far as I know one (of several) reason(s) why Lisa left is that Marco wanted to take Xandria more into the symphonic metal direction with classical vocals. "Ravenheart" and "Now & Forever" are also the only songs from the Lisa era that Xandria still plays live and they recorded new versions with Dianne which fit more with the new stuff. So I doubt that Xandria will change their setlist because of Aeva, I think that Marco wants her to sing their songs in her sopran voice but I'm curious anyway.

1 hour ago, WhiteLagoon said:

Btw I didn't know that wasn't her real name!! Could you tell me how it is?

This is an awkward situation because Aeva doesn't want to use her real name in connection with Aeverium. Even though her band mates and also some fans know her real name everyone calls her Aeva when she is on tour with Aeverium. I heard from someone a while ago that musicians are frowned upon in the classical music buisness when they do stuff in the rock or metal scene so Aeva uses her pseudonym with Aeverium to seperate her both careers (on her personal website under her real name It's also only mentioned that she is a lead singer in a metal band without telling the band name). Because of that I don't want to tell Aeva's real name here in public, if you really want to know it you can write me a private message.

Yeah, it's a shame they only play Ravenheart and Now and Forever, the latter one is one of my favorite songs, but they have great songs with symphonic atmosphere that could also work with classical vocals, like TCtB, Salomé, India or Snow White. These three have been played live with Kerstin and I think Salomé and India also with Manu. They've also played Save my Life and Firestorm with ALL the three post-Lisa singers. So I think they could bring back at least one. I miss those beautiful songs soooo much <3

So it is an official statement now... She's leaving band...sadly :( It won't be the same without Dianne ;'(  It is a curse of leaving of singers i swear... No one will ever repleace Dianne she was the perfect match for Xandria... Big loss..

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1425008687567382&id=548322485236011

This is really sad :cry:

Always thought more drama than Nightwish isn't possible.

I'm curious about further reactions in the "WWW" in the next days.

Geez, I did not see that coming. After yeterday's post I thought that she was just sick and the band together with Dianne decided to ask another singer for the european tour just so they wouldn't have to cancel, which seemed alright at the time. But this is too much!

I'm really sorry to see her go, ATOD is still one of my favourite 2017 releases and Dianne played a big role in that. I hope all th best for her and hope to see her in another band soon (not a huge fan of Ex Libris, will check them out a bit more though.)

Wow, I am shocked!! But she is such a talented singer; she should have no trouble finding people who want to work with her!

I'm not sure if I sould be surprised or not - this reminds me how Lisa Middelhauve made an extensive statement a long time ago about the circumstances that lead to her leaving Xandria, the reasons Lisa mentioned are similar to the statement from Dianne. It's really a shame, although I'm interested to see Xandria with Aeva Maurelle but this is not the way how to treat the lead singer of a band and especially the fans who were left in the dark...

Dianne van Giersbergen became a name on this genre. She was the reason of why Xandria gained notoriety in the past few years. I am so sad about this. She was nearly perfect at every single performance and she added a lot to the band. I can't see this band getting a future anymore. And she said a lot of things about them on the official statement. Such a sad day for metal fans.

If Xandria will not find  as good singer as Dianne(she was the best for Xandria imho)which is nearly a miracle i would not listen to them... 

I have to say I'm not longer sure what to believe, I just had a little facebook chat with Aeverium male singer Marcel Römer and he said if it would really be the way how Dianne discribes it in her post they would never agreed that Aeva replaces her on tour so I'm curious how Xandria will comment Diannes post.

^ My bet is Xandria didn't give them the whole truth, unfortunately. I hope it's not the case but I don't see how else it could have happened.

Why is it that so many of these bands seem to have issues with treating their vocalists right?  Sirenia, Leaves' Eyes and now Xandria apparently.

Don't forget NW, they are the ones who started it all :P

Today Manuela talked about Dianne's departure in her FB, and hers as well, she what do you think?

Shocked about the news, that Dianne left Xandria…or has been left. To be honest: I am a dissapointed about the way they announced that Dianne will not be part of the band anymore. No „thank you“, no „real“ explanations“, no backgrounds, nothing. Same when I left the band. No matter what happened in between, it´s appropriate to say „goodbye“ in a respectful way. And the fans also deserve the truth. At least a few more informations than the ones that have been revealed. But that´s music business. Always saving the face. „The show must go on“. So let´s take the next singer, not to miss any shows. That´s how it works, they think.

I bow to Dianne, to be so brave and dividing her sight of all this, even if I am almost sure, she has been told not to do so. It needs a lot of strength to be so open…
She did, what I didn´t have the heart to, four years ago, when I left the band. I don´t want to say Xandria are a bunch of bad guys. It´s not like that. If the business hadn´t been between us, I am sure we would have come along quite well. But to be honest: Music business kills everything. It destroys humanity in some way. It doesn´t care about you. You have to care for yourself. Nobody else does.

So at least now, four years after my departure, I want to have the courage to open my heart. Cause that´s what I have learned in those past years: Say what you think. Be as you are. Otherwise nothing will change…

I understand how music business works financially and in general. Shows must be played. But what about the health of the singer? What´s more important? Success or health? „Standing outside“ I´m sure people would say „health“ without hesitating. But being inside business and being a member of a touring band, is making things more complicated. It´s not just black or white. Neither for the singer nor for the band.

You are the singer, the frontwoman. You are the first person people look at. You are the one singing your soul out of your body at every single concert. And when you are within a successful band and if everything is still fine within the band, you want to give your best. Or even more of the best. For the band, for the fans, for yourself. You live for it, with all your heart, with passion.

Usually it takes a bit of time, after all these new experiences on tour, after having great concerts, meeting great people…until you realize that your body doesn´t work the way you want him to work. Touring demands a lot from musicians, especially from singers, because your instrument is not outside of you. It is YOURSELF. And a voice needs time to rest, to recover. So does the body. But on tour, there´s to less time to recover yourself.

And then, a change increases more and more. You begin to bet not to become ill during a tour. But because of stress and making yourself pressure, every tour desease follows you like a pick you cannot get rid off. To not dissapoint any of the band or any of the fans, you decide to be a fighter and go on stage even if you have laryngitis and run the risk to ruin your voice forever. You are blind. You trie to deal with it. Time and time again. Until a point, when you decide that it is enough. That you sacrificed enough. That it is time to say „stop“, before it is too late.

You realize that cancelling the tour might be the last resort to save your health, but it will be really bad for the band. Still you decide to cancel. For yourself, for your voice.This might be the best solution. But as I said: Music business kills humanity. The show had to go on. And I didn´t have the strenghth to say „NO“. I felt so much pressure around me. So I didn´t cancel. I went on. And lost myself. Cause I didn´t follow my heart. I did what was expected to be done by a frontwoman. I acted against my health. For the band. Worst decision ever.

Not only I lost more and more trust in the band, because of this, but also lost passion in music. Never thought this could happen. But I felt like a doll on stage. Not like myself anymore. That´s when I knew that it is definitely time to pull the safety brake. So I did. And I left the band. With a sad eye, but also with a feeling of relief. Free again. Freedom to be me again.

I told you this story not to point with a finger at the Xandria guys. Nor to say they are bad guys. Of course there have been some misunderstandings on both sides and not everything was perfect. But still we had also good times, not to forget.

Why I am telling this story is, that everyone out there should know that, as far as I know, women in metal scene are not always treated the way they should be treated. There is a lack of sense for the needs of a female singer within a band full of men. I don´t want to judge all the female-fronted bands out there, but want to encourage band members, management and label to care more about the female part of the band. Speak more to each other (i mean also the singers. Say what you think, earlier than I did). To the others: Play less shows, even if this might bring less money. Ask if everything is ok. And if not, ask what is needed to make the singer feel more comfortable. Stop making pressure because of financial issues or because of greed for success. This will not work. I hope it won´t. And I hope that people involved in this business will learn out of those situations. Maybe they will learn of women like Dianne. And maybe of women like me.

Cause the main and most important matter and the one we almost lost: It is the MUSIC itself.
That´s why we do it. That´s why we sing. To bring music out there. To you. Into your hearts.

For all the fans out there,

yours Manuela

Addition to my post about Dianne leaving Xandria:

You read my honest words and I feel relieved to have finally shared my thoughts and experiences with you. BUT…and it´s a big BUT: Nevertheless what has happened between me and Xandria, they have not earned this really awful shitstorm on their facebook page. I don´t want to put myself on Dianne´s side nor on Xandria´s side. I don´t know ANY backgrounds. I cannot judge anybody. So shouldn´t you. Cause there are always both sides. There is no black and white. There are misunderstandings, hurt feelings and much more in between band members. As I said I bow to Dianne that she was brave to be open and I wish her all the best. But still I don´t know the "real" background, the reasons for the conflict behind. So don´t you. Of course Xandria changed singers. And yes, as I wrote, maybe some things could have been better. It wasn´t always heaven. But to see how people judge Xandria without knowing the real background, to read the awful words they smash against the guys, it hurts my soul. As I know, that the guys, aside from music business, have the heart on the right place. They are not perfect, nor are we, nor am I. So please, think, before you judge…remember: nothing has one side.

Yours, Manuela

I read all the comments concerning my posts and want to thank you all a lot for your kind, lovely and honest words…this topic made me sleepless last night. So much coming up of my past as a frontsinger. I thought I had already enclosed this chapter of my life, until Diannes departure brought all those past feelings back. It felt like an urgent need writing „my story“ yesterday night for you. Saying what I held back for four years. I feel once again relieved. Even more after yesterday. Cause I didn´t hide anymore. I finally was brave enough to tell my thoughts and experiences as a singer in a female-fronted band.

I wrote to you that nobody has the right to judge, cause we don´t know the backgrounds. Of course: Everybody is allowed to have an opinion about the split. But it´s all about the way, HOW you show your thoughts and attitude. Even if you are AGAINST something or even if you are angry, still it is possible to do it in a somewhat respectful way, without saying „fuck you“ or „assholes“. That´s below the belt. That´s all I wanted to say.

Even for me it was not easy to deal with anger and disappointment about everything that happened within and outside the band…but I thought to myself, that I have two choices: Either to stay in these negative feelings or to forgive and move forward. I decided to take the second path. And in the end I came to the conclusion, that even this hard road in the music business had its lessons as well for me and hopefully also for the band. Every step has its sense. Even if we cannot see it at first.

Many of you told me that they were sad reading that I lost passion in music. To be honest: For one year (after my departure) I didn´t sing at all. I needed a long time to feel comfortable with my voice again and move slowly forward concerning my musical projects. I didn´t want to make myself pressure, cause I had enough of that in the past. I wanted to give myself time.

But the last months I realized that it was brake enough. My body told me that I have to sing again. I got ill last year and had strong problems with my thyroid (Hashimoto). As I am a very spiritual person, always looking at the emotional background behind a disease, I found out that problems with the thyroid are caused by not saying what you think and that singing helps to heal and to open the throat chakra again. And indeed since singing more, I feel better and better again. More like myself. Passion came back to me and I cannot describe the happiness about it. I finally feel the incredible need again to make music, to compose, to write lyrics, to sing.

Maybe sometimes life has to hit you hard so you start realizing your dreams instead of only thinking of it.

So be as you are. Now. Cause there is so much you have to give to the world.

Yours, Manuela

On 13/9/2017 at 3:54 PM, Speckofdust said:

If Xandria will not find  as good singer as Dianne(she was the best for Xandria imho)which is nearly a miracle i would not listen to them... 

Oh. It's 2006 all over again.

Perhaps being a Therion fan has made me cynical about this stuff. I've grown used to singers coming and leaving (ironically enough, Thomas VIkström has been in the band for ten years and counting...) and I know that as long as the band wants to keep on going, they can rise from the ashes of their previous singer. And I can't uderstand the drama about Dianne, being that, well, she's like their fourth singer now. Perhaps that's the issue, but as Manuella said, we don't know the full story, and thus, we can't judege or blame any side. Just keep enjoying their music.

Dianne was the fifth singer, not the fourth one (Nicole Tobien sang in the first demo, I'm pretty sure she stayed for longer than Kerstin).

And now Lisa has talked too. She was way more direct than Manu btw XD Anyway when talking about former members, she forgot Roland Krueger :( And all the members of the early years (including Nicole and Andreas Maske who played in the second demo, with Lisa as the singer)

Aaaand here we go.

The statement. Of Lisa Middelhauve. Concerning the newest „bad“ band in the scene.

Where to begin with? First of all: I have never been an innocent victim. Yes, „Xandria“ for a while ruined my dreams and therefore made me really, REALLY angry. But honestly, I have been a pain in the ass for the band the other way round. I am simply not the type of woman that will use her right to remain silent. I didn't remain silent. I vented – for years! - and then I forgot about the band.

But wait, who or what IS this band? Is it a sexist monster that feeds from virgin operatic singers? Is it the nasty dragon that imprisons divas in distress? Sorry to disappoint you: no.

XANDRIA is a bunch of disposable guys (plus one disposable lady). It is a group of individuals. It is 4 or 5 musicians, which means we are talking about at least 4 personal histories, egos, personalities and opinions. We are not talking about one big monster against one helpless princess (at a time). We are talking about a clash of egos, which leads to an obviously catastrophal miscommunication.

Ha, I can imagine your faces now! Lisa fucking Middelhauve doesn't take the chance to simply bash XANDRIA! Surprise! Well, I have to admit it: I really enjoyed the shitstorm. I am only human. I felt so hurt by this „monster“ that it was pure amusement I felt when reading some of the more creative insults. Popcorn, please!

But now some time has passed, let's breathe and think. In the following I will try to explain some things to you that most of you simply can't know.

1.) Never blame the management for the band's miscommunication. The management is not the boss of the band. The band is the boss of the management. A manager gets paid to make the band as successful as possible – BY the band. It is the management's job to keep the band working and to generate as many possibilities as possible (for example open business contacts, generate new markets and so on). This also means that a good manager will always try to make the band take as many of the generated opportunities as possible, even if bandmembers don't feel well. No matter which bandmember.
Being mad at a management, because it only cares for the business aspect, is like being mad at a cook because he only cares for the food. They are simply doing their job.

2.) Of course, the pressure is high. I sang two of my worst shows when I was really ill and to proud to cancel. But also, my ex husband Nils Middelhauve entered the stage under very difficult circumstances several times, I know that the drummer (Gerit Lamm) suffered a bad BAD pain in the back for years – and entered the stage. Even Marco Heubaum (and I assure you, I totally don't like that little sausage) played on with bleeding fingers.
Maybe you can compare this with a kind of competition. Who is the toughest motherfucker? „She never cancelled a show!“ is a compliment. „She cancelled a show!“ a reason to call her diva. What would you do?

3.) A singer gets all the attention. Boohoo guys, too bad for the rest of the band. But really this means that a singer doesn't only have the pressure to please the fans no matter what – it also means that she constantly has to proove the band that she doesn't think she's something „better“ or „more important“. This is true for both genders, male and female singers. Additionally a female singer has to proove she's everything: beautiful but Rock and Roll enough to not care about her outter appearance too much. Intelligent but not arrogant. Warm-hearted but mysterious. No little princess but also not manly. But those are general problems of society, not a XANDRIA-specific issue.

Of course, this story has two sides at least. How would you feel if you rehearsed until your finger bled, until your back felt like breaking for years and years and years and you carry around all that heavy stuff, you drive the band van, you contribute everything you can to the band – but you remain unnoticed? That singer bitch claps her hands only once and hundreds of fans bow just like that? Who does she think she is?
I understand this. But maybe it would be a good start to ask her who she thinks she is. Most of us singers would probably answer: I want to be one of you, but they won't let me and you won't let me either. The microphone is a cold friend.

4.) Do I still think XANDRIA is a monster? No. I don't like Marco, because I simply cannot respect his ways to deal with people in general. Also I don't think he is a very original songwriter, and he likes to hide those who helped him bring some soul into the music from the public.
I don't like the way that the other bandmembers always hated those ways, too, but never had the balls to really change anything. I don't like what this band turned me into. I didn't like myself anymore back then and it was a long way from Lisa, the XANDRIA-hating fury to Lisa, the who-the-fuck-is-XANDRIA mother of two.
XANDRIA never was the monster that I saw in it. But, and folks this is important, members of the band – like any of us – are able to hurt, to exclude, to belittle, to insult or to disappoint other members of this band. Male or female. (I can assure you that my dear ex husband Nils Middelhauve is the opposite of female, and he left the band, too, but nobody is talking about him.) It's not a sexist problem.

5.) So what IS the damn problem then? The answer is: all of this. Singers who are told to shine, instrumentalists who feel little in their shadows, bandmembers who have the power to decide things and other bandmembers that don't feel represented by those decisions, and so on and so on. Short: the problem is EGOS.
And when it comes to XANDRIA I think we're not talking about egos too big, but no, we are talking about many many many insecurities and hence wrong decisions and THE communicational problem of the century. Those guys are not evil. They are just not good at what they do (except for the musical part, which is, IMO nowadays pretty impressive). They were not good at dealing with the fury Lisa, the musical genius Kerstin, the heir of Tarja Manuela, the voice of reason Nils and now they failed dealing with the queen of hearts Dianne.

And now, what to make out of this? Has Lisa Middelhauve given you any interesting news? I bet not. None of this has ever been a secret. The information was there all the time. May I give you an advice?

Yes, in my eyes XANDRIA didn't act very wise in this actual situation. I am terribly sorry for Dianne and I think her decision to leave is the only right thing to do for her. I appreciate her statement and I have also read Manuelas very intelligent words on this topic. I have a different role to play in this. I have always – and will always – talk from my heart, as human as possible.
They made a mistake. Maybe many mistakes. We, the ones who left, aren't free from fault either. We're all human beings. You have to understand that what you are just watching is something like a public divorce and most have decided that if mommy cries, daddy is a bad man. Frankly, this „daddy“ isn't the best husband on this planet, I can tell you. Nevertheless, you are the children in this image. You don't have to decide. You can follow Dianne AND the band. And Manuela and Kerstin and Nils if they decide to be active in music biz. I'm gonna raise my kids and I'm happy to listen to music and maybe to sing for my family.
I understand that you are disappointed – so am I – and I am not asking you to take back your insults on the XANDRIA page. Who knows, maybe they learn something out of it. But now, let's all just... breathe. They made some mistakes. And me? Didn't I? And how about you?

Give them a chance to explain this, give them a chance to fix this. I am waiting curiously for the official XANDRIA statement. Who knows, maybe it opens new perspectives. And I really hope that most of you will be able to enjoy the music of XANDRIA in the future nevertheless. After all it somehow still is my grown-up child that's not living with me any more. It may be difficult, but it deserves to live.

Make of this what you want – this is all I can contribute to this for now.

Lisa Middelhauve
(that will be Lisa Rodermund from next weeks Friday on, by the way)

ps: Oh and XANDRIA guys (I KNOW you're reading this!): I put my heavy weight in this to keep your show running. You're my dearest frienemies. BUT (!) don't make the same mistakes over and over again! If I'm asked again to write a statement about your next singer/bandmember leaving, I'll stay with the popcorn and let that ship sink, is that clear? Make the best out of it!

Dianne leaving Xandria makes me very sad. Whenever I listened to  the last album, I wondered, how awesome will this band become? I love every single tune of it and I wondered if we would get more awesome albums like this. However, Diannes allegations are very harsh and reading that she suffers uncontrollable stress symptoms made me really worry since I know them by myself - this is stuff you don't want your worst enemy to have. I feel sad Dianne left the band, I thought she was the perfect match. But when it comes to health, there is nothing to put in top of that.

I hope for Dianne that she will recover and find her own way - I am sure she will. I would love to hear more music from her and I think, I will finally check out Ex Libris. I hope that she will return to the stage and we will have more of her wonderful voice.

When it comes to Xandria, I don't know. I am always up for giving someone a chance - in this case a new singer, whoever this may be. But to be honest, I don't know if I want to hear this band anymore. On the one hand there is Dianne making serious claims (I mean, playback, really?) and on the other hand there are always two sides of a story. I really would like to hear the version of the band but I somehow doubt that we will get one, just for them to not put any more fuel into this. Reading Manuela's and Lisa's statements, it becomes clear, this is no black and white story - as it is so often. And it would be far to easy to put the finger on the guys of this band, who suffered themselves (as Lisa made clear).

All this stuff just gives us another hint of how live in music business is and I am somehow glad I am just in the audience watching.

39 minutes ago, MeadowsOfHeaven said:

I'll be cynical and ask: how long the new singer will last?😌

Good question 😐 Changing a bit topic,anyone knows what Manuela,past Xandria's singer up to these days? Any solo project? New band's  singer to take a participate? Im very curious to hear something from her 😊