Captain Nemo

Xandria

537 posts in this topic

I can't stop listen to this album, is perfect, I love this girl

the album is amazing is amazing its great and wonderful now there is great band fill the emptiness that left in 2005 my five songs is euphoria and soul crusher along with the dream is still alive

I like every song, music sounds pure and clean.

This is someone writing who has never ever listened to Xandria before.

Somebody in the Nightwish Old Era topic mentioned how great thier new album is, I guess you did, Captain Nemo. So your post caught my attention and I decided to listen to it, and what can I say....it's amazing, I'm overwhelmed and totally in love. Really, I'm listening to it right now :) So thanks a lot for mentioning them, Xandria has just gained a new fan :dwarf:

Such an interesting album, a bit Oceanbornish IMO but still very original. And the mix of these two is exactly what I adore about it. At the moment Euphoria and Prophecy of Worlds to Fall are my favorite songs.

One of those samples made me think of "You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi XD

I quite like the samples, and Valentine is stuck in my head. I never really got into Xandria, but I might have to give this album a closer look.

Xandria has just gained a new fan :dwarf:

Same here, I even like it more than Imaginaerum

Great album. Been listening to it and... just one big show of how symphonic metal should be: aggressive, enticing, harmonic, BOOMbastic, beautiful, inspiring and... IMPERSONAL! :clap:

This album is an astronomical step up from Xandria's previous works. My favorite song from the album is "Soulcrusher", but I still need to listen to it a few more times. One thing I don't understand is all the (old-era) Nightwish comparisons. I really don't hear that many similarities other than the operatic female lead vocals.

Meh, The vocals are too damned much for me, but then so was Tarja on many occasions. :giggle: So that's not shocking as they're both sopranos with the same timbre. But the music is awesome, and the lyrics are good. It'll grow on me in time. For someone who likes overblown operatic soprano vocals it's damn near perfect. I like Soulcrusher a lot too, and Blood on my Hands, though it's a bit much at the end. :swoon:

This album is an astronomical step up from Xandria's previous works. My favorite song from the album is "Soulcrusher", but I still need to listen to it a few more times. One thing I don't understand is all the (old-era) Nightwish comparisons. I really don't hear that many similarities other than the operatic female lead vocals.

Hmm! I dunno much about you, but I am inclined to assume that you've turned your ears to nightwish quite recently. Well, at least, in comparison to me... Thing is: new fans are likely to skip comparisons (between Xandria and old/new-era Nightwish) because they were not brought into "Nightwish's world" by albums like Oceanborn. That's to say, new fans won't feel like "something is missing" because they were not HIT by an album like Oceanborn. Guess I have used the right word to describe my sensation when I first listened to it: I WAS HIT BY OCEANBORN. I had to grab my head with both hands so It would not be blown away by its songs. I was a young man back in the day and I had already been listening to rock/metal music since... well, since a very early age, from the glam/hair rock bands to grunge and all existing types of metal music. On no occasion before that moment, I felt "musically completed". Oceanborn just plentifully filled in all gaps.

As years went by and Nightwish got underway into experimenting some other rhythmical/lyrical directions, I totally felt like the music style of Oceanborn was left "unexplored". Good to see that Xandria has taken possession of the formula. They have done a remarkable work and Oceanborn has reincarnated in Neverworld's end. Lucky us!

Um, well, the first NW song I ever heard was Planet Hell, but I believe the first album I listened to the whole way through was Oceanborn. It was many, many years ago, though.

Still, I really don't see the similarities, sorry. The majority of the album, I think, is fairly generic in comparison to anything Nightwish has done. I'm not saying it's a bad album in saying that, by the way. As I said in my first post, it's a massive improvement from their previous albums.

But... it's different, you see? Back in the day, when Oceanborn was release, there was NOTHING like it. Me and my friends would just assemble to listen to the album and to debate about it. Contrary to a later audition (as it is likely to happen to new fans), having listened to Oceanborn by the time of its release adds a completely different "atmosphere" to it. It was a time of discover to just everyone who liked metal music. We suddenly found out that there was something interesting going on in Finland. This meaning, Oceanborn was a phenomenon not just enclosed in itself. It turned into into a permanent link between brazilian metal music enthusiastics and the finnish scene.

Well, let me tell you something... I am listening to Xandria's album right now. At this very moment, Soulcrusher is blowing my speakers. Besides Neverworld's end being at close to Oceanborn (at least, the closest one I have listened to so far), it also brings back few memories from the days when I first listened to Nightwish/Oceanborn. Good times, in fact. This meaning, it can also actually be that Neverworld's end is both a reference to Oceanborn and to good days of the past. Get it? Anyway, another positive point to Xandria's new album.

I don't really know what to think of their new album. There are quite a few good songs on there and unlike most other copycat bands they've actually found a decent singer, but it's all very cookie cutter. If only they'd been more original. Lyrics are really important to me, and one of the main reasons I fell in love with Nightwish was because their lyrics weren't just generic darkness/pain/eternal suffering type of metal lyrics. You could tell that Tuomas was influenced by poetry and that the words meant something to him. It wasn't just random "epic" words mashed together. But on the other hand, Xandria does have potential to become really good if they become more creative with the next album.

But as for claiming that nothing sounded like Oceanborn at the time it was released... ehm... ever heard of Stratovarius? XD

^ Tuomas said they were influenced by Stratovarius and if you asked Oceanborn doesnt sound like a Stratovarius album, has some elements but Oceanborn has its own ''soul''...has nothing to do with that band...Im one of those people that get into NW for that album many years ago and listen to SV quite often too...I dont see similarities.

Xandria's album is perfect, exactly the kind of band that I need to listen right now together with Within Temptation that has become in my favorite band nowdays.

. Lyrics are really important to me, and one of the main reasons I fell in love with Nightwish was because their lyrics weren't just generic darkness/pain/eternal suffering type of metal lyrics. You could tell that Tuomas was influenced by poetry and that the words meant something to him. It wasn't just random "epic" words mashed together. But on the other hand, Xandria does have potential to become really good if they become more creative with the next album.

Have you heard the previous Xandria albums?Their lyrics are nothing like this, especially albums like India or Kill The Sun are really unique in terms of lyrics...

Now, considering that most lyrics were written by Lisa, who has left now, it's normal that they changed... Still, I don't think Nightwish are so original in terms of lyrics either.Sorry, but random whining about lost innocence, Disney references, suffering from betrayal(at least only in the last albums, but they're still 4 of them), and most of all, copying from English poets and Stephen King, and all that in every album (leaving Angels Fall First outside),weeeell that doesn't sound that original either.

In the genre of symphonic metal, there are some bands that really do have original themes and lyrics, like Therion or Haggard.

Oh and Xandria showed much creativity in their previous albums.Songs like My Scarlet Name, Keep My Secret Well, Salome, Ginger, Isis/Osiris, Return to India, are not songs that you can hear in any other band of this genre, and this is what made me respect Xandria in the first place. Now that their main songwriter left, I am still pretty happy they managed not to sound like every other symphonic/gothic metal band.

I've heard some of their earlier stuff, yes. But I just don't feel like they've got the right balance of good lyrics, melodies and vocals like Avantasia, Nightwish and Within Temptation do. But they're not totally bland either, like Sirenia. I'd rank them somewhere in between Delain and Leaves' Eyes.

I've heard some of their earlier stuff, yes. But I just don't feel like they've got the right balance of good lyrics, melodies and vocals like Avantasia, Nightwish and Within Temptation do. But they're not totally bland either, like Sirenia. I'd rank them somewhere in between Delain and Leaves' Eyes.

Sirenia are not bland.Well, they are now, but their first albums like An Elixir For Existence have amazing lyrics, vocals and melodies. Oh and Delain, ok I like them, but for me they are exactly the definition of "generic".

So, I believe it's just a matter of tastes here...