scarletfall

What are you reading now?

445 posts in this topic

I finally found Behave. The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst from Robert Sapolsky in a bookstore. I started reading it in digital version this spring. Too bad that I am right now not in the mood to read it further (no books involving medicine or studies are welcome for at least a month, I want some fiction now, I just don't know what...), but from what I've read earlier it's interesting. Scientific and light and funny at the same time.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, Essexboyinwales said:

Getting this series for Christmas, love SK, but when will I find time to read it?!!!

Considering I'm still in the process of reading it, I wouldn't be able to help...

4 hours ago, angel_heart said:

Considering I'm still in the process of reading it, I wouldn't be able to help...

I guess I have the rest of my life!  But I've stalled in HP with 2 books left, and given up on GoT with 2.5 left....

After swallowing The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, having withdrawals like you wouldn't believe and trying to cure them with some good old Tolkien, I started reading The Stormlight Archive.

It's probably because I'm still under the influence from NotW and WMF, but The Stormlight Archive doesn't impress me all that much... I'm about halfway through the first book, and I mean it's good, interesting and so on, but it takes him forever to come to a point, somehow it reminds me of ASoIaF, and I don't like it... Kaladin seems like a great guy, and Shallan should def ditch her sadist of a brother, but overall... a little meh.

Also, I just realized that this series isn't yet finished, next time I'm gonna check whether the series is finished yet before starting it.

Which brings me to HURRY UP, PATRICK ROTHFUSS!

9 hours ago, Somebody's Lass said:

After swallowing The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, having withdrawals like you wouldn't believe and trying to cure them with some good old Tolkien, I started reading The Stormlight Archive.

It's probably because I'm still under the influence from NotW and WMF, but The Stormlight Archive doesn't impress me all that much... I'm about halfway through the first book, and I mean it's good, interesting and so on, but it takes him forever to come to a point, somehow it reminds me of ASoIaF, and I don't like it... Kaladin seems like a great guy, and Shallan should def ditch her sadist of a brother, but overall... a little meh.

Also, I just realized that this series isn't yet finished, next time I'm gonna check whether the series is finished yet before starting it.

Which brings me to HURRY UP, PATRICK ROTHFUSS!

Is this your first time reading Sanderson?  If so, I probably wouldn't start with Stormlight.  That's his epic, magnum opus...will probably be 30 years before it's done, haha.  He has some great series that are already completed.  Give Mistborn a try :)  Or Warbreaker is a great one too.  I do agree that Rothfuss' writing far outshines Sanderson (Sanderson fans, please don't kill me!!)...Rothfuss' prose is so beautiful and his writing is just...ugh so amazing.  Sanderson's prose is definitely more workmanship.  But, everything he's written (and I've read most of it!) is far superior to the majority of fantasy out there, even if it's not the best of the best.  Sanderson is so prodigious in his output...he's ridiculous.  He writes SO MANY BOOKS!  And they're all pretty fun, even if he's not a Tolkien or a Rowling or a Rothfuss...

Also...I'm currently rereading Wheel of Time series myself.  In the middle of The Shadow Rising, possibly my favourite book of series :)

@Encaitar

Oh, thanks for the tips! Yeah, it's the first thing that I read by him, I'll definitely try his other series. 

Yeah, it does feel like something massive, I'll need to remember to keep an eye on the series, it's still good. And you are right, it's still better than most of fantasy. 

It's weird though, I'd definitely say I like fantasy, but whenever I try reading some of it, it either feels like a cheap Tolkien or HP knock-off, or it's just meh... Dragonlance is not good enough, Sapkowski is rather good (The Last Wish, massive love!), but still not consistent, the later books are not as good. De Guin is rather ok, but still failed to grasp my imagination. Terry Prachett has good stuff, but a bit too ... bizarre to my taste. I'm just starting on Neil Gaiman, but American Gods didn't quite impress me. 

That's why I was so thrilled when I read Rothfuss, THAT'S what fantasy should be like, deep, hilarious, charismatic, just ... perfect. With one teeny-tiny exception, the Felurian chapters. I mean, it was interesting to see their relationship and a bit of a Fae realm, but I generally find sex scenes rather boring, and pre- or after-sex scenes, which is basically what these chapters are, make me yawn till I dislocate my jaw. Which is weird coming from someone who likes Outlander, but oh well. 

I think I'm gonna try Wheel of Time and some Robin Hobb after that... Good literature is addictive, and I'll never stop looking for my next fix.

On 12/22/2018 at 2:46 AM, Somebody's Lass said:

@Encaitar

Oh, thanks for the tips! Yeah, it's the first thing that I read by him, I'll definitely try his other series. 

Yeah, it does feel like something massive, I'll need to remember to keep an eye on the series, it's still good. And you are right, it's still better than most of fantasy. 

It's weird though, I'd definitely say I like fantasy, but whenever I try reading some of it, it either feels like a cheap Tolkien or HP knock-off, or it's just meh... Dragonlance is not good enough, Sapkowski is rather good (The Last Wish, massive love!), but still not consistent, the later books are not as good. De Guin is rather ok, but still failed to grasp my imagination. Terry Prachett has good stuff, but a bit too ... bizarre to my taste. I'm just starting on Neil Gaiman, but American Gods didn't quite impress me. 

That's why I was so thrilled when I read Rothfuss, THAT'S what fantasy should be like, deep, hilarious, charismatic, just ... perfect. With one teeny-tiny exception, the Felurian chapters. I mean, it was interesting to see their relationship and a bit of a Fae realm, but I generally find sex scenes rather boring, and pre- or after-sex scenes, which is basically what these chapters are, make me yawn till I dislocate my jaw. Which is weird coming from someone who likes Outlander, but oh well. 

I think I'm gonna try Wheel of Time and some Robin Hobb after that... Good literature is addictive, and I'll never stop looking for my next fix.

Oh gosh, so much to reply to here.  Haha, I agree with so much!!!  So, to go down the list...

Dragonlance - not read this yet (and probably never will!)

Sapkowsi - yes!  Although I've only read two of his, Last Wish and...Blood of Elves, I think?  It's a bit grim, but the tone and feel of his writing is so unique, I really enjoyed.  Maybe I shouldn't read anymore, since you're saying he's not consistent.

De Guin - I can respect her as being a good author...but yeah, I've never been able to really enjoy reading her works.  Just fall a bit flat for me.

Pratchett - can be hilarious!!  But...a few years ago, I binged on Pratchett and think I read too much of him.  All runs together a bit.  The Night Watch books are rather fun :)  I really need to be in the right mood to read him, hence why I donated all of my books I had by him a few years back.

Gaiman - Hah.  I've only read American Gods.  Didn't like at all.  Never read anything by him again.

Hobb - Let me know what you think of her!  I've been meaning to try, just never got around to it yet.

Rothfuss sex scenes - Hahaha!  I'm the same.  I really like the bits when they're wandering through the Fae and she's making the shaed (is that the right word?  I forget), but the sex/love scenes?  ugh.  and i'm actually a romantic haha, I just found the Felurian/Kvothe OMG LOVE PASSION bits a bit much.  Almost fan-ficcy, really.  Part of this may be that I like books where the love scenes are bit more subtle and referenced (don't want all the dirty details) and part of it may be the fact that it is just pure unbridled passion before they even know each other!!  I know that's the whole idea - that's who Felurian is, etc.  But I don't really like reading about it, nonetheless.  I like reading about true love blossoming out of a real relationship, not hot messy sex just because.  But I'm weird, so :P 

I read some of Dragonlance when I was in primary school school, a friend really liked them and recommended them to me. They didn't really leave an impression on me, I don't remember any of the plot. Maybe I was too young for it, also I read the hebrew translation not the original so that could have had an effect too, But I don't feel the need to try them again and I wouldn't recommend them.

I like Neil Gaiman's short stories much more than his novels, Smoke and Mirrors is a great collection, his retelling of snow white "Snow, Glass, Apples" stuck with me. I think he has some really cool ideas, and interesting world building but when it comes to full length books he kind of losses the plot and things tend to fall apart, which is why I like his short stories much better.  If you are into comics some of his sandman run was pretty good too.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:22 PM, silverlining said:

I like Neil Gaiman's short stories much more than his novels, Smoke and Mirrors is a great collection, his retelling of snow white "Snow, Glass, Apples" stuck with me. I think he has some really cool ideas, and interesting world building but when it comes to full length books he kind of losses the plot and things tend to fall apart, which is why I like his short stories much better.  If you are into comics some of his sandman run was pretty good too.

Yeah, not a big comics person so probably won't go for Sandman.  Only "comics" like thing I've ever really enjoyed was the Scott Pilgrim ones.  Really enjoyed the first volume, just bought the next 2 and excited to read those :)

I will keep that short story recommendation in mind.  Thanks :)  Speaking of Snow White...there is a story I read recently that really gripped me.  A bit dark, but it certainly moved me.  https://www.tor.com/2018/09/05/triquetra-kirstyn-mcdermott/

I'll definitely check the snow white story out, and I should have probably add a disclaimer to the Neil Gaiman one, it's pretty dark (from the wiki page: "The story incorporates themes of vampirism, incest, pedophilia, and necrophilia.").

As for Scott Pilgrim I saw the movie first liked it and then read some of the graphic novels, I think they are cute. 

Excellent, good to know that story I linked you to won't be too dark for you then! :P

Cute is the perfect word for the graphic novels haha.  Reading the first one was a perfect cure to a blah and depressed day.  I really like the movie so bought the first graphic novel.  Then realized why the movie was so good.  All the best lines are taken straight from the graphic novel!!!

On 1/2/2019 at 6:59 PM, Encaitar said:

Sapkowsi - yes!  Although I've only read two of his, Last Wish and...Blood of Elves, I think?  It's a bit grim, but the tone and feel of his writing is so unique, I really enjoyed.  Maybe I shouldn't read anymore, since you're saying he's not consistent.

Blood of Elves is good, yes. I think it was the first book I read by him. Somehow I often start series in a weird order. My first HP book was PoA...

Anyway, I think you'll still enjoy the rest of the series, for the sake of having closure. It's still good, even if it doesn't have the same feeling as the first books. It's still good writing, but the plot is a bit all over the place.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:59 PM, Encaitar said:

Rothfuss sex scenes - Hahaha!  I'm the same.  I really like the bits when they're wandering through the Fae and she's making the shaed (is that the right word?  I forget), but the sex/love scenes?  ugh.  and i'm actually a romantic haha, I just found the Felurian/Kvothe OMG LOVE PASSION bits a bit much.  Almost fan-ficcy, really.  Part of this may be that I like books where the love scenes are bit more subtle and referenced (don't want all the dirty details) and part of it may be the fact that it is just pure unbridled passion before they even know each other!!  I know that's the whole idea - that's who Felurian is, etc.  But I don't really like reading about it, nonetheless.  I like reading about true love blossoming out of a real relationship, not hot messy sex just because.

Definitely agree. I hated the very beginning, where it's all sex, sex, sex, passion and such. But when they started having something resembling a real relationship it was actually rather interesting, you know, having conversations, her trying to comfort him after he met Cthaeh and not knowing how, their saying goodbye also felt like a couple preparing to be separated for quite a long time. But I have to admit I was glad when it was over. As much as I enjoy reading that Kvothe had something good happening in his life, it was a bit too much.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, silverlining said:

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out. Actually the reason I wanted to read something by Gaiman was Stardust (the movie), I thought I'd start with something else and then read Stardust the book. But yeah, American Gods is not very good.

Anyway, remember I said that Stormlight Archive didn't impress me much? Well, you can scratch that, it actually grew on me. As it sometimes happens, it took me a month maybe to finish the first half of the first book, and only a couple of weeks to read the second half of the book. I started book 2 and I'm quite hooked.

Sooo, I'm still on Stormlight Archive which is not as brilliant as NotW and WMF, but still quite enjoyable, and the only thing in my mind is maaan, this girl needs therapy. Like, buckets of it... I love her to bits, but she's cracking.

Bruce Dickinson's autobiography, it's very good as you would expect.

Next up is probably the final book in the Girl With The Dragon Tatoo series, the first two were terrific!

On 5/2/2019 at 5:25 PM, Essexboyinwales said:

Bruce Dickinson's autobiography, it's very good as you would expect.

Next up is probably the final book in the Girl With The Dragon Tatoo series, the first two were terrific!

The Millennium Trilogy  is one of the best series I've ever read - the third part is pretty amazing. I had trouble putting it down!!

"The Fortress" by Meša Selimović. 

I recently started reading Wheel of Time, and whereas it seems good, it's interesting and well-written, the characters seem so.damn.boring. I dunno maybe it's early in the book, but the only one who showed any kind of character is this young Wisdom with an impossible name I'm never gonna pronounce right, and she had like just a couple of lines. I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that Rand seems kind of dull, a witty and clever protagonist is quite a cliche, but I'm a sucker for strong and sassy characters... That's why I love Harry, and Kvothe, and Shallan, and Jasnah, and Tyrion... Oh Rand got inner strength sure, but first and foremost he's just a country buy who hasn't been further than a walking distance from the place where he grew up, and who only knows how to run a farm, what's more, he doesn't seem to want anything else, he's got no ambitions, nothing. That's dull. But I'm guessing it's gonna change soon, so I'm waiting...

But yeah, so far the characters are quite a weak point.

Wheel of Time is a controversial series.  I love love love it, but am aware that not everyone does.  I love wordy and dense tomes.  I adore detailed description and meandering plots.  I'm ok with very slow character arcs.  A lot of people are a little less patient than I am.  Wheel of Time is slightly old-fashioned in its movement, and definitely is not as "exciting" as Sanderson's books.  I much prefer Jordan to Sanderson, because Jordan's books just seem to have more gravitas and seem more real.  Sanderson is a great author (I've read pretty much everything he's written), but his books are a little more lightweight, at least in my opinion.  Jordan's characters definitely can get annoying and are not for everyone.

But, for the first book (Eye of the World), it takes about half the book to really kick into gear.  Jordan is very deliberately paying homage to the classic fantasy tale of "boy from middle of nowhere goes on a grand quest..." and lays on the Tolkien allusions fast and thick.  But once you get past the trope-y first part of the book, it really gets quite good.  I'd recommend to read the first four books - if you don't like the series then, then just stop and save yourself the time.  Book 4 is one of my favourites and the first four books are quite strong, in my opinion.  Series starts to slow down with books 5 & 6 (while still having some epic sequences!!) and books 7-10 are...a bit of a slog.  I still love them, but the plot does slow to a crawl.  Book 11 is fantastic, but after that one is when Jordan died.  And then Sanderson wrote books 12-14 which...most people really like, but I'm not as much a fan because his writing style just isn't comparable to Jordan's.  Again though, Jordan's books really do have more of an old-fashioned feel to them and Rand isn't necessarily strong and sassy.  BUT there are a few characters who do fit that role, just give it a few books :)

Now Rothfuss on the other hand...I could read his prose all day long.  I do so wish he would hurry up and finish the third book...

4 hours ago, Encaitar said:

Jordan is very deliberately paying homage to the classic fantasy tale of "boy from middle of nowhere goes on a grand quest..." and lays on the Tolkien allusions fast and thick

Stormfather, THAT's what Rand is, that's what he reminded me of, he's a freaking hobbit! How didn't I see it before, not adventurous, hates change, likes animals and growing things, bit boring, it all makes perfect sense! And he does have a hobbit kind of strength and determination. Tolkien still somehow makes them look more fascinating though...

Now I think about it it really is Tolkien all over. And not only Rand's character, but weird creatures in black cloaks chasing them, crossing a river on a ferry...

But, for the first book (Eye of the World), it takes about half the book to really kick into gear.

I'm still at the beginning, but I actually quite like the pace of the book, it's not too rushed, not too slow. It's just that the characters have to get more interesting which I'm guessing they will.

Now Rothfuss on the other hand...I could read his prose all day long.  I do so wish he would hurry up and finish the third book...

Ah... Rothfuss... When I read him I felt like an impressionable little kid reading LOTR or HP for the first time... Never thought I could feel like that again...

Good thing WoT is a huge freaking series, now I have something to read until Patrick Rothfuss finishes Doors of Stone. But it's also a good thing that Jordan's not as captivating. Imagine having 14 books of the same quality as NotW and WMF, I wouldn't leave my flat for months!