sahara

The Old Era

954 posts in this topic

Why there's no any thread like this? we had it in the last forum, so I opened it, this Age deserves a place here :happy:

I found this video, loved Emppu solo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWHNMfEZXc&feature=related[/media]

I like Imaginarium but I prefer the old era

Topic title edited by HooPee.

I wouldn't call everything related to Tarja "the golden age" just for the sake of it. She had no creative input on their material. If anything, it would be Oceanborn to Century Child. That's what people would have referred to as their prime even if Tarja had still been in the band.

Well, I said golden age because is where their best albums are and NW has not made yet anything better than those albums....they have changed their music and it sounds good but that doesnt mean is better than their previous work, Before was pure perfection

its a matter of tastes but I surely know there are more people who thinks in that way, (nt generalizing) but obvious most people than found them since 2004 - 2011 would be disagree, I think....

Im talking about NW as band in the old era not just one member, so dont make some of your twisted minds working wrong ok? dont try to find something ''dark'' in this thread, I opened it to talk about this age, 'cuase maybe you think in that way but some of their best songs were in this period.

So if someone discovers a band in their "later days", they're more likely to not like the older/oldest material? Cool argument, but...

I won't bother posting here anymore :P I know a lot of Tarja fanatics tend to be unreasonable...

:no: you dont get it, you can be a ''new fan'' and enjoy the previous albums but (i think) you would prefer the ne ones...'cause it is like that or am I wrong? like me I like the new stuf but I prefer the previous ones but I enjoy the new and tthe old equally. :victory:

But if the title bothers you I cant do anything I didnt think that.

We're already discussing their older material in the Past Nightwish Albums thread. Wouldn't it be better to rename this topic to Past Members and keep it classy?

But this thread is nt just about the past albums but all their career since 1997 - 2004, we can talk about videos, performances, shows, hilarious stuff, interviews...many things that passed in this time not just albums.

+Of course, that si the new era :giggle: ....anyway is their worse album hahaha.....*kidding*....well I think that but I know people likes it, dont get me wrong.

It would not make any sense to have a separate thread for the new era since that would only include Dark Passion Play, since Imaginaerum has a thread of its own, being brand new and all. There is also a Tarja Turunen thread in the Music section. I'm all for having a thread about things of the past that might not be related to the albums, or a thread about the contributions of past members and session musicians, but it makes no sense to limit it based on one person who already has her own thread on this forum (in which you can post anything directly related to her if you like). Nightwish is not about one member. It's a band. You're making it about Tarja here.

It would not make any sense to have a separate thread for the new era since that would only include Dark Passion Play, since Imaginaerum has a thread of its own, being brand new and all. There is also a Tarja Turunen thread in the Music section. I'm all for having a thread about things of the past that might not be related to the albums, or a thread about the contributions of past members and session musicians, but it makes no sense to limit it based on one person who already has her own thread on this forum (in which you can post anything directly related to her if you like). Nightwish is not about one member. It's a band. You're making it about Tarja here.

hello, you didnt read one of my previous posts, one that I quoted to this girl Stargazers? :negative: I made clear is a thread not just for one member but a NW as a band, and how did you base that? just because I called it at first the Golden Age?, Im gonna explain this one more time I hope EVERYONE reads it. I called it Golden age because of their music, 'cause their best songs are in this period and their best album, is not a thread just for old fans that prefers the old age, all kind of opinions are welcome, sure someone wont be agree all the time, but that is what makes a forum, I also say that dont try to find something ''dark'' in this thread 'cause it has nothing to do that Im a Tarja fan, get over that stuff, if you prefer the new NW albums you can also enjoy the last ones, no one is putting a gun agains you to reply here, everyone can make any comment here that is related to this period, that is the main reason of this thread, we had it in the last forum and no one complains about, I dont know this ridicuolus arguments are coming from just because a title? :fool:

I dont know this ridicuolus arguments are coming from just because a title? :fool:

Well, would you be amused if the Anette thread was called "Anette: the best NW singer"? So yeah, moving on. :P

I agree with you that getting rid of this thread is ridiculous, though, so I'm glad it's staying. To me, this is probably what symbolizes the old era:

[media]

[/media]

I must've posted it before, but I'm doing it again cause it's just stunning. :wub:

Well, would you be amused if the Anette thread was called "Anette: the best NW singer"? So yeah, moving on. :P

I agree with you that getting rid of this thread is ridiculous, though, so I'm glad it's staying.

Here I wouldn't be surprise if there's a thread called like that, it would bothers me if it would be on Tarja's forum :mellow: ...but I dont know how did they base the ''golden age'' with Tarja?...ohh! wait a minute I forgot my avatar :D and that I always making clear Im her fan :blush: ......naa :dontmention: I thoguht this had finnished but I was wrong, anyway I still love NW no matter what they do, I still enjoy his music, obvious there are preferences .

Oh and this thread also includes Sammi hehe, no one remembers him

To me, this is probably what symbolizes the old era:

I must've posted it before, but I'm doing it again cause it's just stunning. :wub:

good choice :good: I never saw them live

No need to quote the videos! Edit by HooPee.

My point is that the easiest way to get everyone to post, no matter who or what they prefer, is to not go all "golden era" and such in the title (unless, of course, what you want is for people who agree with you to go "YES I AGREE" and for people who disagree to post nothing but "I DISAGREE" and the ocasional insult. :P)

Anyway, I saw NW live in 2005 (so, + Tarja but - Sami) and it was so exciting. :D But every time I watch that video or listen to that version of the song I wish I could've been there. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something special about that performance and Tarja's voice certainly fills the whole place. If that even means anything to anyone else. :P

I completly ignore if there's another perfomance of this song, I agree with you this is one of the best performances I like the album version but theres a huge difference hear it live, it is just :wub: if I love it too much just seeing this video I can not imagine being there, lucky people.

It occurs to me: I occasionally wish I could have gotten into Nightwish earlier, so I could have had the chance to see them live with Tarja (just for the sake of balance, and because, generally speaking I prefer her voice on most of the pre-Once songs), but it occured to me recently that what I actually wish is to have gotten into them even earlier- then I could have seen them live on the Century Child tour- no Once or DPP songs at all, heavy focus on my favourite album, and more earlier stuff :P Any show from now on is likely going to have a lot of their "pre-current album" songs from Once and DPP. And, much as I love Imaginaerum, this makes me sad :(

I don't suppose there's anyone on this thread who happened to see them around this time? Because most of the videos I've seen are from the End of Innocence DVD, and some of those are appalling quality.

^ I know but I found this performance of that tour

Tarja's voice so darker when she speaks :o

No offence to Sammi, but it really felt like he was lifeless on stage. He just stood there... it was rare to see him so much as change positions. :P Though to his credit, he's a very decent bassist. Such a shame at that time the melodies Tuomas wrote for him simply followed the guitar lines... :P

You see, there are many good songs of Nightwish, but there are few legendary songs of Nightwish:

Wishmaster, Kinslayer, End of all hope, Phanton of the Opera, Ever dream, Nemo, I wish had an Angel, Sleeping Sun...

These song have made Nightwish a legend. Why ?

It's hard to say, but these songs singing by Tarja Turunen were touching heart making emotions stronger than time and death.

I called it Golden age because of their music, 'cause their best songs are in this period and their best album

^ This is 100% subjective, so opening a thread by that name is just pointless because well... it's your opinion. Which once again, it's perfectly valid, because if you think that era is their golden age is totally fine with me. BUT, since it's subjective you cannot call a whole thread by that. And saying that everybody who gets into NW these days will prefer Anette is simply pointless too. Many knew NW with DPP and got into their older albums fast and vice versa. It's a matter of tastes and it doesn't come down to the voice only. There's many more elements. For many, their golden age is what they're living now and I'm pretty sure that for some others, their golden age is yet to come.

Anyways, I never got to see NW with Tarja and it's something I regret, but well, I couldn't have done it even if I wanted, I was under age. And EoaE doesn't really show all her potential, I don't really like how she sounds on that DVD, tbh. I'll excuse her because I read somewhere that she was quite sick, so if I take that in mind she did pull off a perfect show. If she wasn't, well, then it's not really one of her best vocal performances. Then again, I tend to prefer her voice before Once. Which leads me to my next point. Everybody calls it the old era and the new era, but why do I see so many different stages during their career? Up to Wishmaster it was more power metal stuff, then they turned symphonyc with CC and Once and what's coming now.

Ok, Tarja's voice made the huge difference, I guess, but if you listen to instrumental versions of Once and DPP, they sound very much alike. I tend to prefer Once, but it's not because of the voice, but rather because Once was quite innovative while DPP... well it wasn't.

Sahara knows why we changed the topic from Golden Age to The Old Era, so let's move on.

Welllllll.... I became a fan in the middle of both eras. But of course that means I discovered Nightwish with Tarja and in this old era. I do wish I had a chance to see them perform live with her, since I missed out on that. Once is my favorite album from this era, followed by Century Child. :D

I saw NW live with Tarja twice (and twice with Anette so, whoo, balance! :)) but it was during the 'Once' era. The one gig I really, REALLY wish I'd been at is Tampere in December 2000 - every time I watch 'From Wishes to Eternity' it makes me mad because it looks like the most amazing show to be a part of. I just adore it...and the set list was awesome! :D Plus it has Wilska on it, which is just...win. (Less so Tony Kakko, but only because I hate SA). So yeah, if I had a time machine...*shrugs*

(so, + Tarja but - Sami)

I've seen Tarja and Sami, but I've never seen Marco. :no: