sahara

The Old Era

1,216 posts in this topic

This rerelease is really peculiar... MiHK certainly doesn’t qualify as one of the band’s best or biggest releases; and DPP certainly isn’t really either. I don’t understand why they’re putting out random releases instead of a massive box set with everything in one go, like the Lokikkirja release a few years back.

18 minutes ago, The_Black_Rose said:

This rerelease is really peculiar... MiHK certainly doesn’t qualify as one of the band’s best or biggest releases; and DPP certainly isn’t really either. I don’t understand why they’re putting out random releases instead of a massive box set with everything in one go, like the Lokikkirja release a few years back.

I was wondering the same about MiHK but Once and Dark Passion Play are their two biggest selling albums so I guess that's what makes them big. And I actually personally prefer DPP to Once for the reasons I already stated in the confessions topic so it being re-released makes me quite happy. Wasn't Once already re-released a couple of years ago for it's 10th anniversary? It being included here feels the most unnecessary out of these three to me 🤔

3 hours ago, Vattep said:

Wasn't Once already re-released a couple of years ago for it's 10th anniversary?

No, there was some disagreement between both parties NW - Turunen/Cabuli. So they ended up uploading only a full instrumental version of GLS on Youtube as celebration of the 10th anniversary.

36 minutes ago, Damian said:

No, there was some disagreement between both parties NW - Turunen/Cabuli.

Yeah, I remember them wanting to release the instrumental version of the album as a bonus disc.

They really hope they try again and settle this at some point (first and foremost because it is such a minor thing, and second, I really love their instrumentals)

4 hours ago, The_Black_Rose said:

MiHK certainly doesn’t qualify as one of the band’s best or biggest releases; and DPP certainly isn’t really either.

WHAT? I mean...WHAT? DPP is their best selling album. You may not like it but it sold A LOT.

And yeah, I still love it.

They shouldn't be allowed to re-release anything anymore without remastering the tracks to the Decades standard.

1 hour ago, Damian said:

No, there was some disagreement between both parties NW - Turunen/Cabuli. So they ended up uploading only a full instrumental version of GLS on Youtube as celebration of the 10th anniversary.

Oh yeah I remember that. What a shame actually. Instrumental would have been cool!

39 minutes ago, Symphoniker said:

WHAT? I mean...WHAT? DPP is their best selling album. You may not like it but it sold A LOT.

And yeah, I still love it.

Couldn't agree more ❤️

2 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

They shouldn't be allowed to re-release anything anymore without remastering the tracks to the Decades standard.

That's what I was also wondering 🤔 Are these re-releases remastered in any way? I think both Once and Dark Passion Play would benefit greatly from that and I might even consider buying them again myself. But if not I think I'll skip. On Decades those songs sounded heavenly!

7 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

100% spot on. The remastering of Decades was genuinely some of the best remaster work I’ve ever seen, and I think every NW album would benefit from it (maybe another Lokikkirja wouldn’t be such a bad idea :P)

I have a sneaking feeling the band itself wasn’t the catalyst behind this happening; Tuomas said the rerelease of EoaE was completely the decision of the label, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the same thing was true here.

I am usually not very enthusiastic about re-releases. If I already own a version of an album I am not very interested in buying another one, unless it has some extra-super-mega special addition to it. (Which didn't happen yet, so...) But I guess it's just business... 

This Once/DPP/MIHK trio seemed an odd combination at first, but thinking about it, it makes some sort of sense. And it kind of melts together the Tarja and Anette era, which in a way is nice, and in a way is weird. Anyway, I am not planning to buy it.

The new EOAE release seemed out of the blue too, but I noticed exactly during that time that I've scratched my DVD and it was not working properly, so I was seriously considering to buy the new one. I haven't bought it yet, though. I've watched it so many times already after all... But who knows, if I stumble upon it I might not leave it there! 

By the way, I saw a discussion about Once here a couple of days ago, but I was mentally lazy to comment on it then, I'll do it now. :P

I love Once. First of all because it was the album because of which I started to love Nightwish (well, together with Century Child), and the era of the band I fell in love with. It has most of the Nighwish classics for me (Nemo, WIHAA, GLS, DCOW, etc. - and those songs weren't yet as overplayed as they are now.) All of them had that "Omg this sounds so good I want to listen to it on repeat!!!" effect on me. I loved Creek Mary's Blood a lot as well. And yes, the John Two-Hawks thing made me feel a bit differently about it too, although I think it shouldn't have. I have the bad habit that I let what I discover about a song influence how I feel about it... To an extent it's understandable, but there are times when I think I should just look past all that stuff and just enjoy the music for what it is. Like in this case. I think I understand why one would not like the album that much, but the only song which I think is not such a big deal is Dead Gardens and I like even that one. I am not crazy about Higher Than Hope and Kuolema (don't stone me please, it's a beautiful song, but I would have left it as a bonus track) either, yet still, none of these are songs I'd skip (unlike MPG, 7DttW or Scaretale for example) while listening to the album. So I do love the album as a whole - including the bonus tracks. Yep, it is among my favourite albums in general. But I LOVE most of the Nw albums, so it doesn't really matter which one is on the top of the list.

And I've just realized that I don't think I've ever written about my impressions regarding DPP (except maybe for the fact that the change was too radical for me), but my backstory with that album is a long and complicated mess, I won't get into it now. Maybe I'll rant about it another time. 

4 minutes ago, Sophia said:

And I've just realized that I don't think I've ever written about my impressions regarding DPP (except for the fact that the change was too radical for me maybe), but my backstory with that album is a long and complicated mess, I won't get into it now... Maybe I'll rant about it another time. 

I want to hear your thoughts on that!!  Definitely get your rant on at some point about that. :P

As for me, Once/DPP really go together.  I got into NW in the end of '07.  First song I loved was Planet Hell and then I naturally went on youtube to discover more NW songs.  Majority of songs that popped up were from Once/DPP(I loved WIHaA, Planet Hell, DCoW, Islander, PatP, Amaranth, Romanticide...)   I even (don't get mad at me please!!) at first didn't realise that Once & DPP were sung by two different singers.  Ah that was a funny time. :D  So even though now, DPP/Once are not my favourite albums, I still have a fond spot for them in my heart and still enjoy the songs on them.  I almost wish I could go back to that time to experience them new again. :)   I have rather long car drives to and from work, so recently put DPP back in my car to listen to...and I realised it is not that cohesive of an album and is definitely not as good as some of their others  Some of the songs are a mess and album doesn't flow at all!  But...is it wrong to say I still love it?? :)

I think Dark Passion Play has a much better flow than Once, which is by far their most incohesive studio album (it's not as random as Within Temptation's Hydra, but it still feels like a collection of random, but good songs). Dark Passion Play on the other hand has a very cohesive soundscape. I feel like the promo artwork of the stormy ocean is a perfect visual representation of the album's vibe.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:53 AM, Myrow said:

I wonder why there are no bonus tracks for the reissues. This would have been a good spot to expand MiHK a bit and put out some archived live material from DPP era. It's a shame how poorly documented the Anette years are (though it's partly her to blame for refusing to appear on ST/ST).

On the other hand, since she refused to be in the documentary we got the pro-shot Wacken gig with Floor.

31 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I think Dark Passion Play has a much better flow than Once, which is by far their most incohesive studio album (it's not as random as Within Temptation's Hydra, but it still feels like a collection of random, but good songs). Dark Passion Play on the other hand has a very cohesive soundscape. I feel like the promo artwork of the stormy ocean is a perfect visual representation of the album's vibe.

I'm still not sure I like the DPP soundscape!  But that's me.  I also listened to it right after I-rum, which I simply adore.  That comparison may have influenced how I listened to DPP.

As for Once - it may be time for me to revisit that album.  In past few years, I think Once is the only album I've not listened straight through.  Will remedy that in coming weeks. :) (also congrats on the recent 5k post mark!)

1 hour ago, Encaitar said:

I want to hear your thoughts on that!!  Definitely get your rant on at some point about that. :P

I will, if you insist, but I have a feeling that it won't be a very appreciated post around here. :pardon: It's not all bad, though. 

As for me, Once/DPP really go together.  (...)   I even (don't get mad at me please!!) at first didn't realise that Once & DPP were sung by two different singers.  Ah that was a funny time. :D  

I agree, musically they are indeed similar. I don’t know what to say about the other part though haha! But it took me some time to realize that there are two different versions of Sleeping Sun, and I had to listen to each carefully to realize that they actually sound entirely different, lol. So I won’t judge. :P  

I almost wish I could go back to that time to experience them new again. :)  

I know what you mean! I feel like that about Century Child. Those songs had such a special effect on me. I don’t even know how to decribe it, but it was so nice to discover that album song by song! I think the only other album which had a similar effect on me is Burn The Sky Down from Emma Hewitt, which I’ve discovered around a year ago. I haven’t listened to it by far as much as I was listening to CC or the Nw albums in general though. And it's an entirely different genre.

I have rather long car drives to and from work, so recently put DPP back in my car to listen to...and I realised it is not that cohesive of an album and is definitely not as good as some of their others  Some of the songs are a mess and album doesn't flow at all!  But...is it wrong to say I still love it?? :)

Nah, why would it be? :) (I love The Shadow Self, and cohesive is not the best word to describe it either / at all.) It's nice when an album flows, but if I like the songs in themselves it doesn't matter that much for me whether it's cohesive or not. Of course it's nicer that way, but as someone who more often listens to music on shuffle, I won't complain much about these kind of things. 

15 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. I do understand the criticism against DPP but I feel that Once is like a collection of nice tracks that don't have that much in common which makes it a bit lackluster and random as a complete album for me. Dark Passion Play is an album with a theme that flows. In the beginning there is pain, suffering and desperation but in the end there is only hope and love. It's a journey from darkness to light.

Yes some of the lyrics on The Poet And The Pendulum, Bye Bye Beautiful (I still cringe at the title) and Master Passion Greed are a bit cringeworthy BUT I still feel they were representations of that particular time and that's what Tuomas and the rest of the band must have really felt like at that point in their lives and in their career. But it's in the past now. No need to judge the album based on those lyrics that were written almost 13 years ago.

37 minutes ago, Vattep said:

No need to judge the album based on those lyrics that were written almost 13 years ago.

I can understand some people don't care about lyrics (I like amaranthe so I get it), or maybe not thinking the lyrics are bad in the first place (it is to a certain extent subjective), but if I'm going to judge an album it doesn't get a pass because time has gone by. It would be one thing to say not to judge their newer albums for past mistakes which I agree with each album should stand on its own. But if I don't like the lyrics on DPP, then I don't like them. I don't see how time is supposed to change my mind on this. 

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. I do understand the criticism against DPP but I feel that Once is like a collection of nice tracks that don't have that much in common which makes it a bit lackluster and random as a complete album for me. Dark Passion Play is an album with a theme that flows. In the beginning there is pain, suffering and desperation but in the end there is only hope and love. It's a journey from darkness to light.

Yes some of the lyrics on The Poet And The Pendulum, Bye Bye Beautiful (I still cringe at the title) and Master Passion Greed are a bit cringeworthy BUT I still feel they were representations of that particular time and that's what Tuomas and the rest of the band must have really felt like at that point in their lives and in their career. But it's in the past now. No need to judge the album based on those lyrics that were written almost 13 years ago.

1 hour ago, Vattep said:

I feel that Once is like a collection of nice tracks that don't have that much in common which makes it a bit lackluster and random as a complete album for me.

I've always felt like this too. I like Once, but only because I like the songs individually. It has the least "album feel" of all the Nightwish albums imo.

And it also has one of the worst NW songs: Dead Gardens. It's so "meh" I bet you didn't remember it up until I mentioned it. It's just..there..

I don't really see why this re-release has been discussed so much. They probably did it so these albums will be more easy for people to find, especially in North America. I haven't seen either of these albums in a record store recently (granted, the ones I go to do not carry huge collections) so I don't really find it weird.

2 hours ago, Sophia said:

I will, if you insist, but I have a feeling that it won't be a very appreciated post around here. :pardon: It's not all bad, though. 

I will appreciate it. :) I like reading different people's different opinions.

2 hours ago, Sophia said:

I think the only other album which had a similar effect on me is Burn The Sky Down from Emma Hewitt, which I’ve discovered around a year ago. I haven’t listened to it by far as much as I was listening to CC or the Nw albums in general though. And it's an entirely different genre.

Thanks for the recommendation - I've added it to my "listen" queue.  It looks like it may be my type of listen - I have wide and varied tastes in music and I've been in a weird retro/dreampop mood lately.  This seems like something I might like.  :) 

7 hours ago, Symphoniker said:

And it also has one of the worst NW songs: Dead Gardens. It's so "meh" I bet you didn't remember it up until I mentioned it. It's just..there..

Haha, reminds me of a day when my friends tested if I could name all the Nightwish songs they played to me. I recognized all the songs by their intros immediately, of course - except Dead Gardens :D I was like "what the heck is this!?" I knew the melody but I just couldn't remember the title. Enough said about that song.

Dead Gardens has an awesome chorus. Yes the rest of the song is not up there (I wanna say the vocal line is not half bad however) and it's musically empty (not unlike EFMB *cough*) but that chorus is enchanting. Tarja sounds like depression itself. Like kind of cold, but about to bust. I like it.

It's very dissapointing that the re release doesn't include a remaster job. I was listening to DPP these past days and while I can see the good arrangements and music going on benath, it's too damn noisy, almost unlistenable in 2019. 

The worst part is that even if the album somehow got remastered some day, it's likely that said job wouldn't include the four bonus tracks, which are not only about the best stuff to having come out from the album, but they REALLY need to be toned down in the noise (Whatever the hell was going on when they mixed The Heart Asks Pleasure First? I can't hear a thing, Captain).

Thank God The Poet was salvaged in the decades compilation.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:53 AM, Myrow said:

I wonder why there are no bonus tracks for the reissues. This would have been a good spot to expand MiHK a bit and put out some archived live material from DPP era. It's a shame how poorly documented the Anette years are (though it's partly her to blame for refusing to appear on ST/ST).

Anyway, always nice when they make vinyls available.

They really ought to just expand MIHK into a full Annette era show.  Why not?

On 1/15/2019 at 2:56 AM, Magnus said:

It's worth owning, I think. The Cadence of Her Last Breath demo with Marco is pretty cool to hear, and the live performances included are overall good too.

And Reach! I just love to hear how Marco can sing so HIGH! Wonder if he bursted one of his family jewels.

2 hours ago, JRA said:

They really ought to just expand MIHK into a full Annette era show

Hartwall 2009? :D