Sign in to follow this  
Moon Willow

Lacuna Coil

170 posts in this topic

http://www.lacunacoil.it/

"Lacuna coil is an Italian gothic metal band from Milan. Formed 1994, the group has had two name changes since being previously known as Sleep of Right and Ethereal and was inspired by the combination of gothic imagery and music. The members have been known, musically, for composing midtempo songs consisting of prominent guitar lines and contrasting dual female/male vocal harmonies to help create a melodic, detached sound. Much of the band's recent material, however, sees a heavier and more down-tuned style, featuring a more distinct bass line and higher mixing of the guitars within the songs. The band's 2006 release, Karmacode, peaked at number 28 on the Billboard 200. The Shallow Life, debuted at number 16 on the Billboard charts. The album marks the band diverging their sound from gothic metal to straightforward alternative metal... A new album, Dark Adrenaline, is out on Januari 24, 2012."

(quoted from: wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacuna_Coil)

And now is time for the world premiere "Tripp the Darkness",

One of my best friends is a HUGE fanboy over this band. I thought I would be a huge fangirl, considering that they have a knack for releasing super-catchy singles.

I was sorely disappointed after listening to an entire album. They sure know how to pick singles though.

And now is time for the world premiere "Tripp the Darkness",

Why the hell the sexiest woman in metal scene looks like Geralt here?

I really like him on some songs, but I can't say I loooove how he sounds on "Trip the Darkness." Cristina on the other hand, sounds wonderful I think :D. I love her voice.

I used to be able to tolerate Andrea, especially if it was more singing with Cristina instead of alternating with her. He's good for backing up, just not by himself. But damn, he went from being mediocre by himself to being possibly the worst vocalist in his genre.

Cristina's voice is one of the best parts of the band. I like the sort of distant yet rocking tone she has, and I can always appreciate a good contralto range. Her voice just works so well for the metallic gothic/alternative rock (best way I can describe them) that they make.

I love Lacuna Coil, despite not being a fan of Shallow Life at all and preferring the pre-Karmacode era (Comalies and the older releases). Unlike a lot of people, though, I actually do like Andrea's vocals, and I love the video for Trip The Darkness. Kill The Light is a great song as well. I'm really looking forward to Dark Adrenaline!

They're great live as well. Seen them live six times and have never been disappointed with their live performances.

One of my favorite bands! I'm looking very forward to the new album. I like Trip the Darkness, but Kill the Light even more! It sounds like they're going a bit back to their roots! ^^

I have to agree on the bit about singles. I bought In A Reverie and Comalies after hearing one song from each. Had I known they'd be the only songs on either album which I gave a ***** for, I wouldn't even have bothered (by the way, anyone who wants those CDs is welcome to them). I listened to a couple songs from Karmacode and realized this was a band which to me wasn't worth following up on any further.

It's also disappoint that out of all the Italian bands - who have a real knack for coming up with innovative, experimental, interesting, and sometimes just plain off-the-wall music - this is the one which gets propelled to any sort of status.

I actually really like Unleashed Memories (even if in some places it comes off as Nighttime Birds-era The Gathering worship), and thought a lot of the songs on that album, namely "1:19," "Wave of Anguish" and a few others were quite strong. How they've eschewed that material for the cringefest that was Shallow Life is beyond me. Unfortunately what I've heard from Dark Adrenaline (two songs) is starting to sound like a redux of the last album. I don't think I'll be buying it. We will see.

I discovered this band like... 2 years ago?

I think they do great work. :)

Can't wait for the Dark Adrenaline.

Anybody heard the new album yet? I think it's pretty good, much better than Shallow Life. There's like 4-5 songs that are pretty avarage though.

Anybody heard the new album yet? I think it's pretty good, much better than Shallow Life. There's like 4-5 songs that are pretty avarage though.

I've heard already and I can tell, that DA is ok - 7/10.

I do like Lacuna Coil but agree with the comments that Shallow Life was not their finest moment. I will check out the new record, forgot it was coming out TBH. Cristina is a fantastic vocalist and I have enjoyed their live shows on both of the occasions that I have seen them.

I picked up Dark Adrenaline and I quite like it, it's certainly better than Shallow Life. Don't care much for their cover of REM's Losing My Religion but TBH I never really cared for the original. It's not a classic album by any means but it's worth a listen IMO.

An OK/slightly good album for me, nothing more. But yes, better than Shallow life. I'm not much of these strong elements of more straightforward hard rock they have.