dragonprincess

Sabaton

64 posts in this topic

While I was browsing through the music section lately I realised that we don't have a topic for this amazing band here. I even used the search option to extra sure and the result was the same. So, it is about time to open this topic. 

From Wikipedia:

"Sabaton are a heavy metal band from Falun, Sweden formed in 1999. The band's main lyrical themes are based on war and historical battles. This is heard in albums Primo Victoria, Attero Dominatus and Coat of Arms where all of the songs, except final tracks. Lyrical content drawn from World War I, World War II and other conflicts is prevalent and includes songs about battles and leaders on all sides of said conflicts. In April 2012 four members left the band and formed another, whilst vocalist Joakim Brodén and bassist Pär Sundström continued with new members."

Discography:

Primo Victoria (2005)

Attero Dominatus (2006)

Metalizer (2007)

The Art of War (2008)

Coat of Arms (2010)

Carolus Rex (2012)

Lejonet Från Norden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSBIaeHJ6w&feature=youtu.be

Screaming Eagles

Ghost Division (live)

I saw them live around 2008, after having listened to their albums to that point; they were amazing! Very good energy, maybe the best of all the bands I've seen, and they where super ultra cute and friendly-especially Pär, a dwarf-sized pile of awesomeness!

I also enjoyed their latest album because it came right on time with me earning a degree in Swedish, so it was pretty awesome for me :D

Favorite songs are: Primo Victoria, Panzerkampf, The Art of War, The Final Solution, White Death (amazing story here), and the entire Carolus Rex album, especially the Swedish version.

I can't say I listen to them religiously at home, they haven't really stuck to me musically, even though I generally like them, but I saw them live in March (Eluveitie was opening for them) and it was one of the most awesome shows I've ever been to. They're really full of energy and friendly and funny and the atmosphere was brilliant. Joakim showed us how he got chicken skin because of all the SA-BA-TON we wouldn't stop chanting after each song, it was such a nice display of emotion, cuz he couldn't have faked it. He kept asking us to choose between songs and then play the song we screamed the loudest for, it was awesome to be able to choose your setlist like that. And at some point, he asked what else we want to hear and someone in the audience yelled Abba. That was all we needed and then everyone started asking for Abba and he was like "are you serious??? You want to listen to Abba at a metal concert???? You're insane". And yet they started playing Gimme Gimme. It's small stuff like these that make you feel connected to the artist and make you feel loved as a fan, they're really good at getting the audience hyped up and I love how they don't take themselves seriously and joke all the time and talk to the audience without the standard "we love you, we'll be back" stuff. Aaaaand they have Snowy shaw touring with them, this alone is enough to make them cool in my book :P

I love them so much I'm going to the Sabaton Cruise in a few weeks :P . I'm not sure what it'll be like, but they're one of the very few power metal bands I love, and like angel_heart said, they are extremely connected to their fans and put on the most energetic show possible.

Plus, the catchy keyboards!

Speaking of keyboards, I really have a problem with them still not finding a keyboard player after all this time. They're a very keyboard-driven band, many main melodies are on the keyboards, it's not just background stuff - the fact that none of this is live is starting to bother me.

Sabaton aren't the sort of band I'd normally listen to but I saw them when they performed as one of the opening bands for Dragonforce (I know, I know...) when they came to my cruddy hometown in 2009 (along with Glamour of the Kill and Sylosis) and I was absolutely blown away.  They were easily the best band of the night; they had the entire crowd - most of whom, if not all, had never actually heard of them - eating out of their hands within one song; and they were so genuinely surprised and touched by how well they went down that they won me over instantly.  Halfway through Dragonforce's set, people were chanting for them to get off and for Sabaton to get back on - THAT is how much we loved them.  (Admittedly it wasn't the best I've ever seen DF, but still...)  And they were so lovely after the show, just hanging out with people and signing stuff and were really humble when people said how much they liked them.  Having dealt with some particularly enormous musical egos in my time (coughSamfromDFcough), it was really refreshing to actually have someone intelligent and actually nice to talk to!!  I've seen them headline their own UK tour since and they still seem genuinely lovely.  Bring on the new album and another tour!!!

They are good. I like the guy's voice.

I really haven't given them a good go--any particular album you all could recommend I start with? I've only heard a few select songs, but I like albums as all the songs tend to tie together.

I think their newest album might be their best, Carolus Rex.

Otherwise, you can never go wrong with The Art of War.

I watched the live and have to say that they are awesome....and they will play at Graspop 2014 and Metalfest in Vitovice (Zlin) 2014. Best for me Carolux Rex and The Art of War. Great great band, worth to see....ANd yes they had teo gigs with NW in Oceania tour. And if i remember well Tuomas said that Carolux Rex is one of his favorite albums in 2012. 

One of the tracks is about a Finn again apparently. That should keep them popular here. :D

Sabaton are a pretty good band, and I like their newet track "To Hell and Back" quite a bit!  I'm pretty excited to see them with Iced Earth and ReVamp on the 24th! :)

Sabaton are a pretty good band, and I like their newet track "To Hell and Back" quite a bit!  I'm pretty excited to see them with Iced Earth and ReVamp on the 24th! :)

Ahhhh you lucky man.... ;)

I don't love "To Hell And Back". But I also didn't love the single "Carolus Rex", and now not only do I think it's the best song of the album but I think it's one of their best songs ever... so, there's a chance it'll grow on me :)

Amazing song is Resist and Bite, about Belgium soldiers ....Chasseurs de Ardennes...or something like that... :dwarf: ....Gonna watch them live.... :music:

Hmh, new album. First of all, far too short !

Second of all : NIGHT WITCHES. It's possibly one of the best songs they've ever written. Man it is FANTASTIC, every single second of that song is perfect. I love it i love it i love it so damn much.

However, the rest of the album isn't up to the opener... so you end up being a little disappointed, even though the rest is good. That's what you get for opening with such a perfect song.

So yeah I bought the album :) But like dragonprincess I think it is no Carolus Rex.

Delain and Battle Beast will support them in Europe next year and of course, not coming in Finland. Bah. :(

So i'll probably see them live this January. I have only listened to one or two of their songs but i dont really remember them :P I'm only going for Delain. But i want to listen to some of their stuff before. Any recommendations? What should i start with?

Oh listen to Art of War, Panzerkampf, Ghost Division, Firestorm, everything from Primo Victoria album... And of course Carolus Rex

The Art of War album, the Carolus Rex album (the best 2 albums in my opinion), and Night Witches from their latest album (possibly the best song they've ever written, but the rest of the album isn't that great).

Battle Beast and Delain...urgh. Not happy about either of those 2. Oh well.

So i'll probably see them live this January. I have only listened to one or two of their songs but i dont really remember them :P I'm only going for Delain. But i want to listen to some of their stuff before. Any recommendations? What should i start with?

I would recommend giving the new album a listen, purely because it's likely that a good chunk of these will make it into the setlist when you see them. If not the whole album, then "To Hell and Back" and "Resist and Bite" will almost certainly be on there as they are the two songs that have been released separately from the album (at least I think so...), and "Night Witches" is also a very good song. In terms of best albums, I would say "The Art of War" and "Carolus Rex"  are your best bet. Try "Cliffs of Gallipoli" and "Carolus Rex" off these albums and see what you think.

I'll be going to see them in Manchester in December, really looking forward to seeing them again, they always seem to put on a good show.