dragonprincess

Sabaton

62 posts in this topic

They will come to Verdun (April 10th>13th) to turn videos for their youtube channel and promoting The Great War. One of their song is called Verdun.

Source (French)

Hmm, they've done a lot in this direction already with all the songs about WW2 and other European conflicts, would have wished for a bit of a more innovative topic. But I guess it's their thing and they don't want to deviate too far from it. 

I just found this because Floor shared it on facebook :)

Awesome video, and I like the song, but it's not one of Sabaton's best imo

I agree but although it is not their very best song, it is very catchy and about a very interesting topic. I also like the video and the attention to some small historical details. And the statement/message at the end is VERY true. Only 115 sailors survived the sinking of the Bismarck, 2104 died (+ nearly an equal number of British sailors of the Hood and the Prince of Wales). I can only recommend if you still have someone around who fought in the war (or any later conflict) and is willing to tell his story to listen carefully, as it will make most of our daily problems look ridiculously small.

This band is constantly evolving and changing their sound, they have the most diverse discography I've ever heard in my entire life.

Just kidding, they never change. :P That's fine, though - if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.  This song is a lot of fun, and the video's incredibly well done.

1 hour ago, Werewolf said:

This band is constantly evolving and changing their sound, they have the most diverse discography I've ever heard in my entire life.

Haha, so true! :laugh: Indeed, their newer stuff sounds a bit repetitive to me. Then again, they are constantly pushing the boundaries - seems they are the first metal band ever to perform on a fishing trawler!

Many of the older songs are still fun to listen to me. There are also a few gems, such as the "Cliffs of Gallipoli" which I think capture the gruesome fighting and blodshed quite well. I have always wondered if Pär and Joakim have also been inspired by Iron Maiden's war metal songs (e.g. Paschendale, Alexander the Great).

Hi,

Same for me I prefer this one but I'm french and I'm not perharps objective in view of the song's subject :rolleyes:.

In any case the summary at the end of song is something that talk to me. Nice job from Sabaton, It's not my favorite band but I like a lot History and their concept to make songs based on historical facts is a great idea  (I like some songs, Carolus rex for example).

Very good song, but for me it is the other way round, I liked the Bismarck-Song more :)

Like Mjöllnir, I'm kind of a history-freak and it is always very interesting to see how they deal with those topics. Thanks to some of their songs I've learned about stories I never heard of before (Soldier of three armies for example, great song imo).

Pretty good for me!

1) Bismark

2) Great War

3) Fields of Verdun