*Dandelion*

Anette Olzon

2,475 posts in this topic

Her 2010 voice was becoming a force to behold (It'd argue that since the 2nd leg of the DPP tour it became a great voice). It's sad that she let it go.

She had great potential and really helped the band evolve and open new horizons. Her performance on Imaginaerum is excellent (and even in DPP is good, I think). The fact is that her contribution has clearly been positive for the band, in general terms. Her problem was that she couldn't manage the whole thing properly; she is not strong enough, psychologically and emotionally, or doesn't have the working capacity required for the job, or maybe both. The outcome is that she expected the world to orbit around her and that's impossible. It's sad seeing what she has become.

On Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BANjrYOrEYh/?taken-by=thechosenone665

"Soon I'll release 2 new songs- one in Swedish and one in English and one song is co-written with Martijn Spierenburg from Within Temptation. Stay tuned my dear ones- more info soon!"

Nice! Actually very curious about this project :) Martin have some good experience with WT and Anette's vocal range fits WT's style perfectly, so this could turn out to be rather good

And how long will it take for her to change her mind about this...? :popcorn:

The Martin song was recorded during her vocal peak (the just pre-imagenaerum time) so I expect good things. Add me to the pile of those who liked her solo album very much though. Super solid all around.

Lets take a moment to appreciate Anette 2009

Yeah yeah shes not Floor but I think she did a great job with what she was given.

Yeah yeah shes not Floor but I think she did a great job with what she was given.

I agree. Could she have gotten better? Possibly. Would someone else have been better? Possibly, but she was the one who was there then. She played a part in where the band is today.

She had great potential and really helped the band evolve and open new horizons. Her performance on Imaginaerum is excellent (and even in DPP is good, I think). The fact is that her contribution has clearly been positive for the band, in general terms.

Sure, you can like Anette or not, but she deserves credit for this. No matter who got the job, nobody would've gotten an easy job. Not even Floor I think. Maybe she would've had an easier time, but I think that when she joined in 2012, all of Anette's time probably made it easier to step in getting the warm welcome she got. Who can tell if even Floor would've still been in the band today if she had been the one getting the job back in 2007? I'm glad she is here now, but I'm also glad Anette was there first. We got two awesome albums with her that I wouldn't want to be without, and I'm loving the way the band evolved then and how they keep evolving today.

I admit that I always did like her performance of GLS at Hartwall. She sounded very nice. Her vocal performance during that period, and during Imaginaerum was at a peak, both live and in the studio.

Lets take a moment to appreciate Anette 2009

Just adding another great performance by her in 2009 in high quality:

Those performances are lovely. I also like the way she's dressed in all those videos you guys posted. 

2012 Anette was pretty good too:

The Martin song was recorded during her vocal peak (the just pre-imagenaerum time) so I expect good things. Add me to the pile of those who liked her solo album very much though. Super solid all around.

It's a good album indeed. Not a masterpiece, there is something missing, I think, but far better than the majority of music released nowadays. I really love the timbre of her voice. A pity she has been unable to make the most of her talent, because her potential is enormous.

I agree with Serena, the Walking In The Air performace with Anette sounded really pretty, and it's one of my favorite cover songs ever. 

Leaving all the bad aside (Anette's way of handling things musical or not ), choosing a singer with a more straighforward and less dramatical voice at the time was a wise decision, like Undertow said, it made the transition to Floor easier, and not only for Nightwish, because after that, a lot of symphonic metal bands started using more approachable vocals as well.
As much as I love the classic Era, and Tarja, having a singer like Anette made Nightwish more free to explore new styles in their music imo. 

I feel like Anette definitely helped Nightwish attract more attention in the US.  They aren't quite as big here as they are in Europe, where they seem to have no trouble at all selling out large stadiums, but they're certainly bigger now than when Tarja was in the band.  I could barely move at the show I went to back in May because it was incredibly packed - the most packed show I'd ever been to at House of Blues, actually!  I don't think Nightwish would have gotten to this level over here without the Anette era because Tarja's vocals are too much for quite a few people over here...my sister included.  She loves the Anette albums (and the one with Floor!), but she really doesn't like Tarja. :P

I have a very soft spot for Anette's Dead Boy's Poem. It had such an innocent sweet quality to it that it felt like it really came from a child. One of the hardest NW songs to do justice and she did it swiftly.

So, as I said before I will release a little digital EP really soon and it will be one song in Swedish and one in English. 

The Swedish song is named "VINTERSJÄL" and the English one is named "COLD OUTSIDE".

I will release them digital as a digital EP and it will be available in Spotify and iTunes. No printed copies will be available and they are released without a record label.

The cover is below and the photo is taken by Raimo Gedda and the artwork is made by Alicia Köhler.

The songs are currently going through mastering and then I´ll release them so VERY soon!=)

Stay tuned for this!

https://www.facebook.com/anetteolzonofficial/photos/a.210255749162370.1073741829.195540893967189/483103871877555/?type=3&theater

What nice news! I believe that releasing music in digital format is the best option for an independent artist like her. Nowadays, with the effectiveness and flexibility offered by the Internet it has become much more easier in achieve stability in the music industry without the support of a record label.

Her Swedish accent also has a certain tenderness and somehow brings me a "maternal feeling". Let's hope for a pair of good songs. :)

The Martin song was recorded during her vocal peak (the just pre-imagenaerum time) so I expect good things.

I'm missing something. If the song was recorded so many years ago, why is she only now releasing it?

The Swedish title is so much better (vintersjäl means winter soul).

Some of my favorite live performances with Anette were her duets with Marco.

In general I think Anette was the best duet partner for him. They have very similar timbres. The way her voice is mixed and morphs into Marco's in Last Ride of the Day is incredible. You can't really pinpoint the exact moment where it happens!

Floor is a good duet partner for him too, but this is probably the one area where Anette has her beat (not that it matters in the long run since Floor still sounds great with Marco and is the best singer Nightwish has ever had, but still). Tarja and Marco on the other hand was never a good combination.

I've said this before but I really think the best musical direction for Anette would be something similar to Katatonia.

I for one am happy she has decided to continue in music. Despite her lashing out in the media before, she does sound good, she could even become a greater talent with more training. Nightwish was the best thing that happened to her from a career point of view, it gave her a chance to show she is more than just a pretty pixie voice. Imaginaerum is her greatest work imo and she should be proud of it. As far as her idea of being a pop singer, I think that is more than achieved without having to try, I find her voice far more attractive than most 'leading' artists in the pop charts.

Keep going Anette!  :clap:

I just saw her EP is released on Spotify. My first impression: not very different in style from the Shine album, but especially Cold Outside sounds catchy and a bit more up-to-date than the Shine album. Would be happy for her if she got some radio airplay with this, even though that might be difficult nowadays, especially with a self-released album.