*Dandelion*

Anette Olzon

2,104 posts in this topic

Do we really have to discuss the split, Anette being a liar or immature again and again? Honestly, this is getting tiring and annoying. Everybody knows that most of the Nightwish fans will stand on the band's side and that only a few stand on Anette's side. So why do we have to dig this topic up and again? There are no new developments coming from this and most fans will spit on Anette again. It's getting annoying because nothing good arises from this discusion, only drama.  

2 hours ago, Symphoniker said:

Heh, funny you asked. Want some proof she lied? Here it goes:

"Welcome to the laundry room...

"The interview of our former vocalist Anette in Me Naiset magazine is full of twisted truths and defamation. This 'one woman vs. the Neanderthals' scenario is an easy to way to take advantage of our media history.

"The split with Anette wasn't because of pregnancy or illness. We discovered her personality didn't fit this work community, and was even detrimental to it.

"These claims we can invalidate right away:

"Claim: Moments [before being fired], Anette had told Tuomas Holopainen of her pregnancy

"Truth: Anette told of her pregnancy to the whole band already a week earlier in Montreal. Everyone was congratulative, and Anette herself offered an option of hiring a replacement vocalist if she can't manage everything, which was already agreed on. Later she took back her decision, and the difficulties really started. Fear of losing money and position seemed obvious.

"Claim: The boys of the band decided everything for me

"Truth: Neither Tuomas nor any other of the boys of the band can singlehandedly decide where we take off to and when. There have been discussions inside the band and support of people on a personal level. Also Anette. Managers and promoters discuss about possible concerts, record releases, etc., and wishes of all the band members have been taken into account. All these details have been negotiated with Anette and her manager. We have the e-mails.

"To keep the touring life bearable, it's reasonable and right to make things comfortable on a personal level. Based on these discussions, Anette was given liberties from interviews and fan meetings. She and her family got an own tour bus and driver in both Europe and America. The expenses were paid by the organization, not Anette or her company. Others of the band didn't use similar benefits.

"Claim: Other income went directly to the men

"Truth: Anette and her company has been paid a fifth of everything that was done during her time and with her. We have no reason to lie, because this cake has provided enough slices for us all. The finances of the band have always been handled openly, honestly and evenhandedly. The books exist. How individual members spend their share is up to their own responsibility.

"We neither want to nor intend to comment this more now."

And where did they lie to Alissa and Elize? As far as I know, they knew the truth.  I gave you proof your beloved Anette is a pathologic lier and all she wants to do is play the victim, and you won't give me proof that NW supposedly lied to the girls. Of course, you will say I'm a blind fanboy, but then again, I'm not the one with an Anette avatar, am I? But hey, you're free to keep supporting her, despite of her not moving on from Nightwish (something Tarja at this point had already done).  Just don't believe anything Anette says, especially regarding NW. It's easier for her to keep playing the victim.

Well, I'm not gonna continue the discussion. I suppose we'll never gonna know the truth itself because none of us has lived the situation. Anette has her version and NW has their version. Some believe them (like you) and some believe her (like me). This always happens in situations like firings with two sides telling their versions. It would be interesting to hear what do Elize and Alissa think, as they're the only "neutral" ones here.

I'm also tired of this.

4 hours ago, The Name Of The Wind said:

Do we really have to discuss the split, Anette being a liar or immature again and again? Honestly, this is getting tiring and annoying. Everybody knows that most of the Nightwish fans will stand on the band's side and that only a few stand on Anette's side. So why do we have to dig this topic up and again? There are no new developments coming from this and most fans will spit on Anette again. It's getting annoying because nothing good arises from this discusion, only drama.  

The problem is that right now there is nothing else about Annette to discuss... :P But I kind of agree. I think both sides made mistakes. I mean you are Nightwish and you apparently didn't know it might be touching gold to go on tour with a vocalist who is freaking PREGNANT? Sure. You played with Annette for years and then you suddenly discover she is not as professional as you thought she was or whatever? SURE. I mean Nightwish as a band is either composed of the worst judges of character in human history, or they are at times incredibly childish. You pick. But I mean come on. You played with Tarja for years and suddenly it gets to the point where you fire her despite her wanting to leave after the next album anyway? RIGHT! Totally plausible. Get your freaking egos under control guys. Yes, it IS childish to go: I can't stand her anymore, I'm gonna fire her! There are not many professions where you can even do that. If on a team in the industry you can't stand a team member, well tough. If your superior says said member is staying anyway than he or she is staying and that's it. No discussions. If you know your singer is pregnant, here's an idea: REPLACE HER FOR THE WHOLE TOUR! And if they wanted to and Annette went: But I want to sing on those concerts! *throws tantrum* then Tuomas shouid have said: Well, Annette, tough. I am the leader of this band and I say you stay home. You don't like it, screw of.

That is what I meant in the Nightwish off-topic thread, but I can say it in context here even better:

1. Annette should have been more professional

2. Tuomas should have developed some balls, some "this is my kingdom, this is my town and what I say goes. End of story" type of attitude long ago. You don't like your band members' behavior, talk it out with him or her. If you talk it out and it still doesn't work, go seperate ways. People do it all the time with relationships, but for some reason we think it's ok when metal bands make a big drama out of it? Everyone can have their own oppinions on the subject, but to me: No. Absolutely not. You are professionals and should be held to the same standards as professionals in other fields. Why are we always letting artists do things we wouldn't tolerate from other people? Isn't that effectively a two-class system?

Also, one thing that annoys me about Annette: This whining about how she needs money. You know how you can have more money? Stop buying stuff and showing it on social media all the time. You don't NEED these things Annette. And if you did, why do you not put more time into your music? It's not that hard to write some songs on your own and put them on bandcamp. Will it make you rich, no, but I thought you need money? See, you can't have it both ways: You can't have easy ways to make money, refuse to use them and then complain about not having money. That doesn't work, at least not for me.

20 hours ago, WhiteLagoon said:

But the difference is that Simone AGREED to have Amanda as a temporary replacement. She was her teacher and backing vocalist so she knew the songs. The difference between them and Anette/Elize is that Anette wasn't aware Elize was singing the concert.

No. That's not the comparison I was making at all. Having Elize replace her for one show matters little in the greater context. The core issue was that Anette would not agree to let Floor finish the tour with the band in her place. And yes, Anette was made aware that Floor had been contacted to fill in for her. That's truly why she was upset, but at the time the public only knew about Elize so assumptions were made.

Long story short, Anette was unprofessional and would rather see the band make a huge financial loss than having someone else to sing in her place for eight months. Like Simone agreed to, in my other example (ie Simone actually put the band first). 

This is really funny because I was talking about her behavior in social media not about her singing skills or her perfomance on stage AT ALL, I don´t really care the reason of what she was fired, or if NW guys are so mean, or if Floor talks crap about other bands, she is not in the band for 5 years already and I´m happy with current NW lineup, I´m not even interested if she was victim or not, she is not in the band anymore and she'll never come back, pointless discussing about that.

Aside her singing skills or stage performance and overall her duties as a singer, I´m talking about Anette ´´the person´´ or at least the person she shows up on her social media sites and as I said before, she sounds so bitter, so unprofessional and sometimes it´s disgusting the way she talks with other fans while there´s, you know, a topic related to NW or former/current NW singers, there´s no respect at all and it looks so hypocrite because she puts a lot of effort by making people understand  that she was chosen by NW and that celebrities (such Steve Harris, some journalists) preferred her over to Tarja or Floor, it´s just childish and so ridiculous, you cannot even imagine that a former singer likes to be involved in such discussions on social media when you don´t even know who's in the other side of the screen but those opinions insult her so much to the point to be arguing and even delete posts. And it´s not something aganist her, if I see enyother artist defending theirselves so hard with fans I find it ridiculous. 

Call me whatever you want to but she actually realizes that people is liking more some of her songs singing by Floor than singing by her and that pisses her off and some of you will tell me ´´how do you know, that´st not true´´ and whatever but couple of months ago she´s been posting so much about herself in NW that I´m just :huh: I mean it´s ok to remember your ´´glory days´´ if you wanna put it like this but posting articles from other artists´opinions about your role in NW, posting that you´re listening DPP right now, posting live videos of some songs that former/current singer are actually technical better than you, I mean, girl do you remember they fire you?. One thing is to be grateful and proud of what you accomplished with the band, which it´s normal, but all those posts are just weird, and make me think all those things, I mean she had the opportunity, no one took it from her but her only, it wasn´t Floor, it wasn´t the guys, people are full of opportunities everyday and it depends on us if we take them or not, and due to her insecurity (I think it was that) and even not trusting NW fans, she lost it by not accepting a singer like Floor to do the Latin American tour. And seeing her posts like if she is trying to convince us that her role in NW was meaningful, it´s sad because it´s not necessary, even if we never like her as a singer, just for being in NW she IS part of NW, but trying to convice us by putting herself above Tarja or Floor, it´s disgusting, she doesn´t need to do that. Tell me where have you seen Tarja or Floor talking something about her or putting articles where a celebrity or journalist are praising them and saying how much other people like them and preffer them above Anette? Never. And that´s what I don´t like about her personality, this is the way she is trying to make us to understand she was as good as Tarja and Floor, and not, that´s not the way, if she wants to prove she was worthy for NW, demonstrate it with professionalism, hard work and behave on social media, because the only person that puts herself in a bad role it´s just her not the people that´s critizing her. 

On 5/27/2017 at 1:54 AM, Magnus said:

Simone had no issues with having Amanda replace her during one of Epica's tours due to illness. Amanda is technically a much better vocalist, and while it was inevitable that some people would prefer her, the band stuck with SImone and look at them now! Simone actually bothered to improve as a singer over the years. She's come really, really far! Anette could easily have done that too, although I doubt she would have (she really lacks the curiosity about the art of singing that Floor has, for example).

I agree with everything you said here, but I have to comment on this. Simone has always been a vital part of Epica, from the very start. Also she is a main composer and lyricist, and is not just the vocalist, like Anette was. In people's minds, the main image of Epica has always been Simone, and Mark of course.

It makes sense that Anette on the other hand did not like the idea of being replaced, as long as it had to do with being replaced with Floor, because she knew how much respect Floor enjoys in this community, plus she knew the guys from many years ago, and she had extensive touring experience, which would only make Anette's difficulties on touring more obvious.

But when it came to being replaced for a night... that was bad. Her reaction was bad, and even though I do understand some of it (she was after all, in the hospital, probably feeling abandoned by the guys), she went over the top. Sweet Anette, you are not Rihanna or Spears. You never were and probably never will be. It was not your name on the bill, it was Nightwish.

Annette reminds me of Katy Perry. Katy Perry isn't a bad singer. And she has good songs. But then she comes out with things like "Last Friday Night" and giving respect to drinking a lot and behaving like a whore, and it's like: WTF are you thinking? 

The answer is: Nothing. As Dogbert said: You can work or you can drink. The result is the same.

Ummm I am not sure I am ok with this type of language, this is quite sexist in fact. I do not care if Last Friday Night is the most promiscuous song since My Neck, My Back, but it is disrespectful, not to Anette or Katy Perry, but to actual sex workers. Because, you know, they are actually working. 

You can do a lot of unprofessional things, and Anette in fact did, that have nothing to do with how many people you flirt or sleep with.

Like, I understand you used it as an example, but this is highly misogynistic. 

15 hours ago, DownHill said:

Ummm I am not sure I am ok with this type of language, this is quite sexist in fact. I do not care if Last Friday Night is the most promiscuous song since My Neck, My Back, but it is disrespectful, not to Anette or Katy Perry, but to actual sex workers. Because, you know, they are actually working. 

You can do a lot of unprofessional things, and Anette in fact did, that have nothing to do with how many people you flirt or sleep with.

Like, I understand you used it as an example, but this is highly misogynistic. 

Well I am terribly sorry you are not ok with this type of language. You want a tissue? A cookie? You know something, I am not ok with your arrogance and stupidity either, but you don't see me getting offended by it all the time, do you? Stop being so sensitive. Jesus Christ.

Also, it's funny that you automatically think of sex-workers when I say whore. Whore in usual language has a totally different meaning than sex-worker, especially when applied to normal People. It means someone who will sleep with anyone just for the hell of it. Sex-workers are, as you say, People who sleep with others as their Job. So if you think whore coming from me means sex-worker that really says not much about me, but a lot about you :) 

EDIT: It is...what? No it's not. Do you even know what misognystic actually means? No see, I didn't use it as an example. I meant what I said. Katy Perry glorifies being an actual whore. Annette glorifies being an attention whore. Annette wins the comparison, but....

Not agreeing with DownHill's take on your post? Fine. "Your arrogance and stupidity"? Not fine. Not to mention that the Katy Perry comment about her songs adds nothing to the Anette thread (especially considering that Anette's music is not like Katy Perry's music).

Tone it down, Serious Sam - your opinion is not the be-all end-all of opinions. Consider this a warning. 

If anyone wants to argue with Serious Sam concerning the above post / discuss the above, please do so in one of the more appropriate Speaker's Corner threads. 

Oh my God "all the time" to someone who has not posted here for an eternity :P  

Aaaaanyhoo... Back to the topic in hand. The fact I like to remind myself is that Anette probably does not think of herself as the bad guy in any case, especially since according to her words she tried to have group meetings with the guys to discuss problems and what not. What I am trying to say is, I do feel she is in the wrong in her reactions, but maybe not in her reasons to react. But she absolutely cannot attack fans for liking Floor or whomever, it is just not ethical and not professional. It has already costed her.

I'm just so anxious to hear the album she's making with Jani Liimatainen. Besides her few solo tracks it'll be the first studio recording of her on lead vocals since Imaginaerum (at least I think that's the case). She always shone brightest in-studio IMO, and I'm curious as to how or whether her vocals have changed much since then.

11 minutes ago, 18thAngel said:

I'm just so anxious to hear the album she's making with Jani Liimatainen. Besides her few solo tracks it'll be the first studio recording of her on lead vocals since Imaginaerum (at least I think that's the case). She always shone brightest in-studio IMO, and I'm curious as to how or whether her vocals have changed much since then.

Few solo tracks? Yes, she hasn't a loong career as Tarja or Liv Kristine but she has an entire album and an EP (plus many songs she has either performed live or recorded demos). But yes, I'm also very anxious :D

That's true, I always forget about Shine! 

I saw on Anette's Instagram that she was in the studio today to record a duet for a British band. I wonder who it is.

Anette WHO? 

@The Name Of The Wild

Probably with No Direction 

:dash:

Excusez moi, Laguna Blanca....couldn't help myself.

HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU COMPARE A GODDESS OF MUSIC WITH... WITH... THAT??

:P Joking, of course,

But I'm really anxious, a song with Cradle of Filth would be awesome, but I think she said power metal or something like that. Anyway, I'm open to different styles :D

@WhiteLagoon

I wrote NO DIRECTION, not One Direction and I meant it!:D 

This excerpt from Anette's new album sounds amazing! Can't wait to hear it entirely. By the way, I have the bittersweet feeling that this project will surpass anything she did with Nightwish.

It will have to be pretty damn special to surpass Imaginaerum in my mind. That was a fantastic album and one of my favourite Nightwish albums period. 

Looking forward to this in any case. Sounds promising so far. 

Sounds very, very...well, Finnish power metal-y. :P Naturally, this isn't shocking, considering the bands Jani's worked with.  I quite like this little clip though - Finnish power metal is pretty great after all.  I wish it had a sample of Anette's vocals, however.

Also, I'm in agreement with AstusOz - "Imaginaerum" is gonna be a hard album to beat.

Wow sounds like Wishmaster's Nightwish. Consider me surprised!

It's a short snippet, but I hear potential. I really hope she won't sing in Swenglish again...! Her accent was noticeable with Nightwish, but on Shine it was a bit too much for my Swedish ears... :(

Maybe I'm over-exaggerating. Tarja also has a noticeable accent, but I still enjoy her solo work a lot, because the music is more my taste. Seems like that will be the case with this album as well. As opposed to Shine, I mean.

19 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Wow sounds like Wishmaster's Nightwish.

Eh, about that... sounds more like Amaranthe.

I think it sounds like early days Sonata. The guitarwork just gives that whole vibe.