*Dandelion*

Anette Olzon

2,475 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Adrn_2810 said:

Terrible, terrible comeback argument.
No offense; this has about the same impact as telling someone they should not criticize food unless they know how to cook a better meal.

Of course I know that,  but it ended up directed at someone who actually has a band :P so...

Anyway, at the end of the day it was still a rude thing to say. If that really is your band, you should focus on your own success than insulting other bands, maybe you might have a quarter of the views Anette brings in within the next decade. 

3 hours ago, Magnus said:

Are we talking about the mediocre Alyson Avenue or the much better The Dark Element, which is basically Cain's Offering with Anette instead of Timo on vocals? The latter is far from bad. Not your cup of tea, perhaps. But definitely a competent band if you like the genre.

Oh I didn't know Alyson Avenue had reformed or had Anette back? No, I meant the Dark Element.  My Sweet Mystery is a complete rip-off of Storytime, with less punch, some other NW-songs, and just all-over no originality whatsoever. Plus live her voice is as bad as it always was. I definitely don't like the genre so I'm no expert, but I think that it is particularly "have already heard this 1000 times before and probably", even within such a repetitive genre. 
I haven't looked much further since I didn't like it, but is there something I should check out if you think it's good ?

River Wild, saying something is bad is not an insult, it's merely an opinion. Please tell me we're not, 10 years later, still at the stage where I have to explain that? Or that "It's bad" obviously means "I think it is bad" rather than "I am God and know the absolute truth about everything therefore it is objectively bad" ?
And yes, that is my band, why would I lie about it :) Spending 10 minutes in 5 years on this forum doesn't impact in any way how much I focus or don't on my band's success, but thanks for the advice !

I don't disagree that My Sweet Mystery piggybacks on the riffs and orchestral portions of Storytime, but...

It's really nothing you can pin on Anette. Nor should you dismiss Jani's talent based on this. Look him up of you're not familiar with his work (I'm sure you've at least heard of Sonata Arctica?).

But as far as power metal goes, The Dark Element is definitely solid stuff. The genre is rooted in 80's synth driven hair metal and is more often than not unapologetically cheesy. A perfect fit for Anette's AOR tinged vocals. Like I said, it might not be your cup of tea but if you're going to call this "bad" then I'd like to know what exactly you're comparing it to (hint: correct answer would be bands like Twilight Force).

I have my issues with Anette and her juvenile behaviour, but I feel like she struck gold with The Dark Element.

Had about the same feeling about the Dark Element, never touched it again after listening through two or three times; I remember that the production was quite nice and the lyrics were rather dull. I don’t think her voice or singing style is bad (I begin to see why people think she was no good fit for Nightwish after all though, I enjoyed the albums they did with her a lot nevertheless), she’d probably do very well with an acoustic/balladesque album (at least her performance on songs like Slow, Love, Slow was about perfect and these kinds of songs are hard to sing)

@Magnus I don't think The Dark Element is power metal. I don't hear power metal ANYWHERE in the album. I think TDE is closer to bands like Amaranthe or Delain than it is to Sonata Arctica or Stratovarius.  It is pop disguised as metal. And not that there's nothing wrong with it, we're in the NW forum, after all. But while NW has two or three songs like that on each album, TDE is THE WHOLE ALBUM like that. Ergo why I think (and I stand firm on my judgment) that it is monotonous as hell. I don't think Anette struck gold, neither do I think it's one of the best bands in the genre (Delain's latest album is way better, for example).  Perhaps it's me and my tastes, I like albums where each songs is different from the previous one, but I really tried giving TDE a chance and everytime I did so,  ended up feeling I had heard each song previously on another place.  And while they have just given two shows, They also proved why Anette is just a studio singer. Yes, she may be out of practice, but then again, she never did practice.

1 hour ago, Adrn_2810 said:

she’d probably do very well with an acoustic/balladesque album (at least her performance on songs like Slow, Love, Slow was about perfect and these kinds of songs are hard to sing)

Have you heard her album Shine?? If you haven't, check it out, it's really beautiful and she sounds very relaxed.

I'm a newcomer to this forum, so obviously haven't read these 100-page threads in their entirety, but I want to chime in and point out that Shine is an excellent album. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but it's a winner! I listen to it on a regular basis.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:45 AM, Symphoniker said:

I don't think The Dark Element is power metal. I don't hear power metal ANYWHERE in the album. I think TDE is closer to bands like Amaranthe or Delain than it is to Sonata Arctica or Stratovarius.  It is pop disguised as metal.

Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily my idea of power metal either but I think it still qualifies as power metal in a modern sense, much like how Shania Twain is "country" even though she's not if you ask anyone who actually listens to country music.

I wouldn't call it pop music though. This is some all too common crazy talk in the metal community that I'll never get. No, there's nothing wrong with pop music - but are we just going to ignore rock music? The Dark Element is clearly closer to melodic (hard) rock than pop.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:05 AM, Magnus said:

I wouldn't call it pop music though. This is some all too common crazy talk in the metal community that I'll never get. No, there's nothing wrong with pop music - but are we just going to ignore rock music? The Dark Element is clearly closer to melodic (hard) rock than pop.

I do not call it pop music either. My friends thinks that it is a little heavy for their taste, especially Dead to me or The Ghost and the reaper. Saying this is pop music is just a pretext for people that does not like the band and cannot say the music is bad, because they do not consider it is. I don’t want to offend someone, I am not a music expert, it is only my opinion.

It just hit me that the chorus of My Sweet Misery is basically the chorus of I Have a Right, except in a much higher key.

^Mystery :P Yeah, it does sound similar.

Does anyone else hear similarities between Dead To Me and Sabaton's The Last Stand?

I saw Dark Element's first live gig at Sweden Rock Festival, sounded great and Anette was her usual self. The songs worked fine live too so, it was all great. Tarja were also there but that concert sucked big time. Cool to see that she's keeping herself busy, I'm looking forward to the future releases... Anette that is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZqVjlTo3_E

Some kind of HD audio recording of Anette singing Ghost Love Score. Cool stuff :)

Sounds good but it is lack the epic feeling I get from other two singers.  Do not get me wrong, I like Anette but I think she sounds better on other songs, like for example The Siren. I think she is very good in this song.

Yeah, I like her interpretation of "The Siren" also much. More recent news, Jani  is currently writing new songs for the second TDE album:

I've been listening to the first TDE album alot lately, and I love it!  Catchy as hell, great to drive and run to.  Yes, it's nightwishy in places, and some of the lyrics aren't that great, but musically it's almost perfect pop metal...

On 8/6/2018 at 8:43 AM, Florin said:

Sounds good but it is lack the epic feeling I get from other two singers.  Do not get me wrong, I like Anette but I think she sounds better on other songs, like for example The Siren. I think she is very good in this song.

I might be biased because I consider The Siren to be one of Nightwish's best songs (I am a sucker for oriental themes and vocalizing) and I like all the 3 interpretations of it (4 if we count the recorded Tarja version as vastly different from the live one). And while I cannot stand Anette's belting, I feel this is the one song where it fits perfectly. It also made her voice sound so much more... big, if that makes sense. So powerful.

So The Dark Element is gonna start recordings for the second album soon (the next month?)

Funny how "flopping" Anette will have one more album in her new band than Floor earlier, and honestly, probably better.

I'm in, the first one was a slay (and apparently super successful).

2 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Funny how "flopping" Anette will have one more album in her new band than Floor earlier, and honestly, probably better.

Yeah, my orange is better than your apple...

1 hour ago, Ahasverus said:

So The Dark Element is gonna start recordings for the second album soon (the next month?)

Dunno.

In the same time Floor only appeared in "flopping and meaningless" album as The Source, sang in the "total letdown" of a DVD "Ayreon Universe" and will be releasing an album with the guitarist of the totally non known band Pagan's Mind. 

I am not counting the DVDs she released with Nightwish.

Dark Element had its moments thought.

2 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

I dont know if that is a fair comparison, but I personally have NOT forgotten the days when this entire thread was filled with people saying Anette's career was dead and buried , the woman is on the streets of Helsinki begging for money, and of course the endless armchair psychologists analyzing her Instagram posts and spewing paragraphs upon paragraphs of analysis about her personality. Meanwhile shes out there doing her thing and making some pretty nice music. 

Edit: Who remembers when she got a really short haircut while on some Finnish Tv show and someone said she had a nervous breakdown :P

28 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

You forgot the three world tours. 

Yup. The birth of her daughter too.