Metalhead Pete

MaYaN

48 posts in this topic

MaYaN are a symphonic death metal band fronted and founded by Mark Jansen (Epica, ex-After Forever). They released their debut album Quarterpast in 2011 and the follow up Antagonise is due out early 2014. Guest vocalists on their debut album included Floor Jansen and Simone Simons. Their official website is due for a relaunch very soon:

http://www.mayanofficial.com/

Couldn't see an existing thread for these, apologies if I have missed it. Not sure why I haven't checked them out before (as I generally like most of the stuff Mark Jansen has been involved with) but decided to give their debut album a whirl tonight and I actually rather like it. Appreciate that they may not be to everyones taste but wondered if anyone else on here cared for them or was looking forward to their new album early next year?

I only heard few songs of this band when they released Quarterpast last 2011 or 2010 (can't remember).

I like very few songs which they featured Floor and Simone on vocals. Some, I find it not on my taste. :)

I think my most favorite is Drown the Demon.

Definitely not a band for everyone so I can totally appreciate a few on here may not really be into them. One review I read on Amazon said Mark sounds like the cookie monster on Quarterpast!, made me laugh because he does a bit! Luckily I like the cookie monster so it's all good! ;)

Drown The Demon still seems to be available as a free download from Nuclear Blast is anyone is interested:

http://media.nuclearblast.de/download/gratisdownload/index.php?link_kampagne=Mayan-DrownTheDemon

I actually ended up adding the album to my cart on Amazon when I went to order a Nintendo 3DS for my daughter for Christmas. Perhaps my most random purchase ever.

Woah! I never knew that it was a free download. I got the album from iTunes, in which I spent $10 but enjoyed only 3 or 4 songs from the album. :giggle:

And their new album will be released this January 2014. Let's see if I would like it.

By the way. here's the info from the upcoming album.

mayanantagonisecd_600.jpg

Track listing:
1. Bloodline Forfeit
2. Burn Your Witches
3. Redemption – The Democracy Illusion
4. Paladins Of Deceit – National Security Extremism Part 1
5. Lone Wolf
6. Devil In Disguise
7. Insano
8. Human Sacrifice
9. Enemies Of Freedom
10. Capital Punishment
11. Faceless Spies – National Security Extremism Part 2

I have the first album and I quite like it actually, took a few listenings to get a grasp of it, but it's really good.

Quaterpast is a pretty good album to listen to from time to time. The skull on the new cover art looks like the one they use on the Demon Hunter albums. Looks pretty neat.

I truly love mayan but I truly wish at the same time this project never existed ,because it truly infected epica songs 's creativity and we can see that in their last album it really was not good as much as their older stuff I wish the new epica album would not be infected by mayan again .   

This might be to the taste of some who frequent these parts. Great to see something like this in the middle of a death metal gig and the crowd seeming to lap it up, Laura is great!

Just wondering if anyone else had given Antagonise a listen yet? If so what did you think of it? I'm still playing it to death, it's the best album I've heard in ages.

Reviews seem to have been very positive for it, including this one where the reviewer states 'Antagonise is perhaps arguably one of the finest examples of Symphonic Metal to have been ever recorded.'

http://www.liverpoolsoundandvision.co.uk/2014/02/07/mayan-antagonise-album-review/

I appreciate that it may be perhaps a tad aggressive for some around here but even so I really would recommend giving it a try (takes a few listens to get into it as there is a lot of stuff going on here and it's very difficult to take it all in initially).

Be really interested to hear what others who did give Antagonise a try thought of it.

I made the first listen to the new album just few moments ago..

I would say it's a great album, but sometimes it gives me the impression that it was like Epica with male voice (Henning). But I would like to commend how I like his voice, his style and his techniques.

Laura has an incredible voice, no doubt. I like how she sings in Insano. A great song!

There are some moments that I felt like I'm listening to Epica's RFTI and not MaYan's album. There are some patterns that almost had the same rhythm that I almost sing "Stay the course". :giggle:

Overall, this is a great album and much better than their first one, which I never liked that much!

Stand out tracks: Burn Your Witches, Paladins of Deceit, Devil in Disguise, Insano & Enemies of Freedom

Middle: Faceless Spies, Bloodline Forfeit, Lone wolf

The latter, I would say are quite boring or doesn't grab me.

Glad you liked it! :)

I agree it is a better album than Quarterpast (which I did like), MaYaN seem to have really come of age on this follow up record. A few people say they sound a bit like Epica without Simone but I honestly find the bands quite different. I really like both of them but I'm not entirely sure that they mix all that well.

Did you see any of the clips from the Antagonise CD release shows with Marcela Bovio guesting? (she was unsurprisingly awesome!).

Here is couple for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rydqw3xjhX0

Wow, this thread is ancient. MaYaN currently have an indiegogo campaign running for their next album, so if you want to support them and/or make use of this opportunity for extra perks (like an EP that's exclusive to this campaign), now's the time!

A word from Mark Jansen:

"The Rhythm of Freedom' references the sensation of pure freedom you feel when riding your bike or bicycle. This also refers to the album title Dhyana, which stands for the moment where the mind gets absorbed by the heart and you feel total happiness without worries about the past and future. But the mind, like a predator, is always waiting for the moment to take over control again.

We picked this song as our first single as it's the first impression people will get from the new MaYaN album. In it you hear the dynamic sounds in our music, layered with the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra who we recorded this album with. Expect a song that is heavy, yet melodic. Enjoy!"

The title track is out. To be honest, I don't care that much for it. Musically, anyway. I wouldn't know about the lyrics because I can't understand most of them...

Well, I can translate Marcela's lyrics. Dunno Italian, though.

Dime Luna Llena (Tell me, full moon)

Como borrar las memorias (How to erase the memories)

Los recuerdos mienten (Memories lie)

La incertidumbre nos hiere (Uncertainty hurts us)

The chorus is in English so there shouldn't be a problem. But...OMG..Marcela and Laura...I love how they sound together! I do think both of them are some of the best female singers in the genre. I'm happy to hear Marcela in a new band, even though it's just a side project  (Yeah, I'm also glad one fellow mexican is recognized in the scene, way to go, Marcela!)