Metalhead Pete

MaYaN

50 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2018 at 11:37 AM, Symphoniker said:

The chorus is in English so there shouldn't be a problem. But...OMG..Marcela and Laura...I love how they sound together! I do think both of them are some of the best female singers in the genre. I'm happy to hear Marcela in a new band, even though it's just a side project  (Yeah, I'm also glad one fellow mexican is recognized in the scene, way to go, Marcela!)

Powerful duet, for sure. But there's something in Marcela that makes her sound SO perfect with other singers, even when she's just doing some backing vocals as well. Dhyana sounds nice, I'm just hoping the rest is not as boring as their last album, though.

20 hours ago, Damian said:

I'm just hoping the rest is not as boring as their last album, though.

Well, you can get an impression here:

I didn't have the time to watch it before, and I completely forgot about those videos. Thanks for sharing! Sounds promising already, specially Tornado of Thoughts.

This is the only band by Mr. Jansen that I don't really care about. The music didn't get me at all.

I mean, I'd rather have Epica than this.

Even the songs above. Don't know... but it doesn't get my attention.

Listening to Dhyana for the first time now, and so far so good. Their previous work has in my opinion been good but forgettable. This seems to be their best album in my opinion. The orchestra has been used very well, not like "let's put it everywhere to hide sub-par writing" like some bands tend to do. ;) But then again the songwriting also seems to be good on this album. Will need a few listens to open up though.

I've only listened to the EP so far (it arrived yesterday) but wow, I am impressed. I could listen to "Eradicate the Colony" and "Undercurrent" all day! Definitely exceeded my expectations.

Loved it. The devil part was a bit weird but it's great anyway

Yes! The album is on Spotify right now. Let's give it a listen

Omg, I loved the album too :D Now I can't wait for the lyrics, I won't be disappointed by that, I'm sure

This is definitely their best album. I liked the first one when it came out but I’m kind of bored of it now and I could never get into the second one but this one is it.

Two of the main reasons it’s that good: The orchestra and Marcela. The orchestra makes their  sound more full and more “epic”. Marcela is perfect! Definitely one of the most underrated singers in metal. I feared she’d have a smaller part in the whole album but she does not. Favourite songs are Rebirth from Despair, The Power Process and Tornado of Thoughts.

Ive yet to read the lyrics but I could do with less cheesy song titles. I don’t think therefore I am is the worst (even though it’s a parenthesis). Classic Mark :P

8 hours ago, Imagineer said:

This is definitely their best album. I liked the first one when it came out but I’m kind of bored of it now and I could never get into the second one but this one is it.

Two of the main reasons it’s that good: The orchestra and Marcela. The orchestra makes their  sound more full and more “epic”. Marcela is perfect! Definitely one of the most underrated singers in metal. I feared she’d have a smaller part in the whole album but she does not. Favourite songs are Rebirth from Despair, The Power Process and Tornado of Thoughts.

Ive yet to read the lyrics but I could do with less cheesy song titles. I don’t think therefore I am is the worst (even though it’s a parenthesis). Classic Mark :P

Yeah, Marcela becoming a permanent band member is actually what pulled me over the line and made me decide to take a leap of faith and preorder the next album.

And I'm not sure I'd call it cheesy, but yeah, classic Mark indeed :)

30 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

Marcela can appearently even growl! She continues to surprise me as a vocalist. 

Seems to be something quite a few female vocalists are doing - picking up those growls. First Floor. Then Charlotte. Helena from Imperia. And now Marcela!

51 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Then Charlotte.

Lol I didn't know that. I just googled a video and was not disappointed :laugh:

She’s been doing it for quite some time now. She used to growl a bit in a Devin Townsend song they played live with the Gentle Storm. She is really very versatile and an excellent singer. 

She is a really good singer with an amazing voice. She really impressed me when I saw Ayreon in Tilburg.

I'm glad she's in a band since it didn't work out that way with Anneke.

I went to see MaYaN yesterday and it was truly amazing. After their normal set with mostly Dhyana songs, they played a "classics" set as well, with Epica and After Forever songs, among others. The Epica songs were better than their Epica versions! Laura and Marcela were so impressive.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:20 PM, Serena said:

I'm honestly not a big fan of this song, it's probably my least favorite from Dhyana.

Some particularly awesome footage from a show I was recently at. It was pretty amazing. The band was on fire! They played After Forever, Epica and Stream of Passion music too, but I haven't seen any uploads of that.

I've been listening to Dhyana a lot these past days and it's just ridiculous how much better from the previous album it is. They have a perfect team right now. Tornado of Thoughts is definite;y my favourite song. The dynamic of all the different vocals, the heaviness and the lyrics just make it perfect for me!

Bought their latest album (and my first of theirs) recently and I'm really enjoying it.  Prefer this to the Epica albums I have, which I like but they're not outstanding.  I hear nods to Ayreon, Nightwish and Dream Theater in this album.  The Illusory Self is a top track!

6 hours ago, Essexboyinwales said:

The Illusory Self is a top track!

It sure is! I'm not sure the band shares that opinion though... it's the only Dhyana track that they didn't play in the shows I went to :/