N0One

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - 2015

2,465 posts in this topic

Hello and a Happy New Year! :)

I just read this on the English Wikipedia page

"According to the band's webpage, the band will enter the studio in 2014 to record their eighth full length album, Elegia, which is slated for release in spring 2015. This album will also contain a song in Finnish called Metsian Tuohaminen, (Destruction of Forest) which will possibly be "the longest song in the history of the band so far"."  Link here (the english wikipedia info)

So I checked the english and aswell the finnish bandpage and did not find this info.

Is this actually true? Elegia sounds mysterious. Does anyone know the meaning of it?

Anyone can edit Wikipedia (in fact, I just removed the titles). You're right, there is no mention of this on the news page. But if it had actually been true, the admins of this forum would have posted the press release on here as well. Also, it's a liiiiittle bit too early for them to already have a definitive name for the album. Tuomas isn't even finished with all of the songs yet and they're not recording anything for the next six months. Not to mention Elegia would have been the most clichéd title they'd ever had for any release. Doesn't seem like a title Tuomas would come up with.

Heheh new album theories and wiki updates are always fun to read :) They did get that it will feature the longest song in NW history correct though. So let's grade this wiki update a C for effort :)

choosing a finnish song to be the longest song in the band's history wouldn't be a very wise idea isn't it, just saying. Also, Destruction of the forest doesn't sound like a decent nightwish song tittle. I recall there was also a rumor about a nightwish album after dark passion play which was named Wind embrace, then it turned out to be a hoax

Elegia doesn't sound like a NW album title either, more like a Leaves' Eyes one. I doubt Tuomas would made an album with the name of a famous Leaves' Eyes title.

Heheh new album theories and wiki updates are always fun to read :) They did get that it will feature the longest song in NW history correct though. So let's grade this wiki update a C for effort :)

Yeah, I remember when the first teasers of DPP were made public and they hadn't revealed Anette's name yet, there was this in wikipedia:Kari Rueslåtten has become the Nightwish singer after Tarja Turunen in spring 2007. Their first release is a single called Eva.

That's was in a Nightwish-topic in a finnish hockey site Jatkoaika. And somebody was also certain that it's Christina Scabbia  :) . Somebody also found a Delain-song with Marco and said this is it. 

Lol, I've also ran into alternative name of that "Finnish song", Tuhoaminen Metsä. Which is equally dubious Finnish and translates very clumsily to 'Destruction Forest'.

Sounds like someone has used Google Translate from Spanish or something.  :giggle:

In any case, a name like that sounds more like a Moonsorrow demo from 1995 than anything Nightwish.

I've edited the title and we may as well let topic stay for discussion based on new album and expectations of it etc.

Speaking of rumours, I also remember when DPP was still about to be released that the wikipedia said that Phil Anselmo (Do I  seriously need to put the name of the bands he's been in?) would be doing growls on TPATP.  As amazing as that would have sounded, it turned out to be just a fan dream :(

Wasn't there also a big rumour that Vibeke Stene would be the next Nightwish-singer after Tarja? I remember reading that Vibeke herself denied that and she had nothing to do with Nightwish.

I believe there were rumours about Vibeke joining Nightwish. I think the first big rumour regarding the singer change was that Liv Kristine (Leaves Eyes, etc.) would be the new NW singer- this was reported very soon after Tarja departed the band, I remember reading somewhere that Tarja actually contacted Liv to congratulate her, thinking this was actually the case, and Liv was really confused XD I could be misremembering, I think it was Liv, anyway.

Either Metal Hammer or Terrorizer also reported that Sarah Brightman would be joining Nightwish and that they would be changing their name to Brightwish (April Fool's joke on the magazine's behalf). The band actually made a joke out of all the theories by posting "Please welcome Liv Vibeke Sarah Anette..." when Anette was announced, IIRC.

I'm interested to find out more information about the songs as they appear. A more band-focused album appeals to me, and it'll be interesting to see how Floor's vocal versatility, and the presence of Troy affect the sound of the band overall. I'm also curious to see if any of the other band members will contribute some music to this album (I know Floor has said she probably won't, but I tend to quite enjoy Marco's contributions to the music).

I hope and think that Tuomas will backtrack to Once, which is clearly the album that seems to suit Floor the most and also serves as a crossroads of sort, and then go from there. Kind of like a "what if" scenario, going down the path of Romanticide, Higher Than Hope and Planet Hell rather than Nemo, Dark Chest of Wonders and Wish I Had an Angel. In other words, I think the next album will be a bit heavier and less sing-a-long friendly.

I hope there will be something new and something old, but not too similar to the last three albums. I want to hear elements from the first two albums, yet something that incorporates the newest elements that Troy brings. I want it to be less super bombastic, and more dynamic. I did like Imaginaerum in that regard... I hope it will be heavier, in a way, but not more loud with lots of tracks at the same time.

And also softer. :)

But as long as the songs are good it doesn't really matter what they do. 

What I absolutely don't want is an album full of Crownless, because that is the worst Nightwish song.

I love Crownless, haha!

But I do agree that the album should sounds fresh while at the same time remind fans of previous albums. I think Song of Myself managed to capture that feeling perfectly. It was very much a modern Nightwish anthem, but at the same time it reminded of Beauty of the Beast and Feel for You.

What intrigues me is what will Tuomas do with Floor's capabilities. I mean, when Floor sings the NW songs now, she skips from operatic to rock-style belting even in the same lyric. I don't mind it, I get that it has to be done since both types of songs were written for another voice, but I'm curious to see what will Tuomas choose, or even if he chooses to embed this into the new songs as well.

I certainly hope there will be moments written with Floor's classical singing in mind. Obviously, no one is expecting entire songs, but how about a random bridge or chorus in a couple of songs where it makes sense to include it for some added spice?

But Nymphomaniac Fantasia is so good! Except for, well... the lyrics... :D

But back when I heard AFF for the first time I didn't understand Tarja's English very well, so... I though it was one of the best songs on the album. Maybe I should re listen AFF...

Ok, maybe it's not that great, but it's (musically) not that bad, nowhere near as bad as Crownless! :)

I'm sure there will be some operatic voice parts here and there. It's Nightwish-trademark for many people anyway and now since Floor is capable of singing them. 

And like Dragonprincess, I'm hoping some duet stuff with Marco and Floor, not some lovey-dovey ballads, but heavier stuff. I do think Floor and Marco are best  "vocal couple" in heavy music since Devin Townsend and Anneke joined forces, so I hope they utilize that.

^ Very much this.

When they sing together, it is as if they become one voice. It reminds me of 'My spirit and your voice, in one combined' from Phantom of The Opera (they have to sing that too), but of course Floor is also a phantom. They both have seemingly similar resonance in the power of their voice, I heard it time and time again during the tour. It is a magical thing, they were meant to sing together. The next album must by default include duets that harness this quality.

In an Elder Scrolls sort of way, it is like they are two Dragonborns in the same band, using the Thuum (voice-weapon of dragons) to sing instead of slaying foes. Nightwish has obtained great power indeed. /geekery

I certainly hope there will be moments written with Floor's classical singing in mind. Obviously, no one is expecting entire songs, but how about a random bridge or chorus in a couple of songs where it makes sense to include it for some added spice?

I expect something like this definitely. Even if Tuomas doesn't ad that in the first place, Floor will (at least on live performances, like she did with Storytime). But I don't expect too much of it. Even Floor doesn't use her operatic voice too much nowadays. 

I think that there is definitely a possibility that they will use operatic vocals. I think that guys grew sick of operatic vocals in the first place because they had a singer which only did that type of vocals. And when you are forced to do that all the time, you get bored of it. I think that is why they decided to pick up a singer who's completely different, like Anette. Now, they have a choice. They can use opera vocals if they want, but nobody is forcing them. So, there is a possibility.

I do think Floor and Marco are best  "vocal couple" in heavy music since Devin Townsend and Anneke joined forces, so I hope they utilize that.

I have to respectfully disagree with you about that. On their own, they're both amazing and in that sense, Nightwish now has two of the best singers in metal, imo. But as far as chemistry goes, I really think that out of all the Nightwish ladies so far Anette's voice worked the best with Marco's. Floor and Marco still sound good together though. Tarja and Marco on the other hand... apart from Phantom of the Opera or any other song with a beauty and the beast theme, their voices did not blend very well at all (despite both being amazing on their own).

Something I've greatly appreciated about the last two albums is how Marco's role as a vocalist has become more prominent. He easily sings about a third of all vocals on Imaginaerum. I definitely hope this trend will continue, but I think with Floor it will work better if they are singing at/to each other instead of with each other, so to speak. These things tend to sort themselves out anyway. Marco gave a great boost to Anette's singing by doing many of the vocal harmonies, like in Ever Dream for example - and it sounded great. Floor's vocals are a bit more powerful than Anette's so she doesn't really need that boost (as we can tell by the Wacken performance).

^Excuse me? Have you heard a little song called Dead To The World? :P  I find they did fit quite good. On the contrary though, Anette's voice was so weak and squeaky live that it made it weird. Marco had to be downtuned in order not to cover Anette.

I agree with Magnus. I don't think Floor and Marco's voices blend well. But I do like Marco's vocals and the fact that they have become more prominent lately.