N0One

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - 2015

2,471 posts in this topic

I agree with Magnus. I don't think Floor and Marco's voices blend well. But I do like Marco's vocals and the fact that they have become more prominent lately.

I do think Floor and Marco are best  "vocal couple" in heavy music since Devin Townsend and Anneke joined forces, so I hope they utilize that.

I think with Floor it will work better if they are singing at/to each other instead of with each other, so to speak. These things tend to sort themselves out anyway.

Actually I meant it like you said, not duet but those parts with alternating vocals between them, like you said. My bad.

And I'm with Downhill about Marco and Anette. I've always felt that both, the arrangements and Marco's vocals were too powerful for Anette's voice. 

But as far as chemistry goes, I really think that out of all the Nightwish ladies so far Anette's voice worked the best with Marco's.

Agree. Anette's fairy timbre worked very well with Marco's raspier voice. They made a nice contrast, without being incompatible. Live maybe not, because of the "power" difference, but on albums this worked very well.

I don't know how Floor would sound on NW album (we will have to wait for this) but live, when she and Marco have to sing together, it is more like double attack than as a duet. But hey, that doesn't mean I don't like it :horns:

I'm still waiting for the album "Lunar", which was in the works during 2006, to be released before this new album! 

Agree. Anette's fairy timbre worked very well with Marco's raspier voice. They made a nice contrast, without being incompatible.

I completely agree with this.

They sound good when they're trading lines, when they have their own parts. And in the studio version they sound decent together during the intro because of the mixing (their voices are layered to sound like a choir). At least that's my opinion. Marco wouldn't sound good together with Tarja if he sang the harmonies to Come Cover Me like he did with Anette, for example.

I agree that Marco and Anette's voices match really well together because of the contrast, but when they sing together live, you can barely hear Anette, you can tell she's almost screaming to be heard :P

I think I will regret Anette a lot, for me Marco + Floor combo don't sound the same to me. But they match well too, in a more agressive way, not with this contrast between agressivity (Marco) and sweetness (Anette), Ghost River being the perfect example of this contrast for me. I always think of Anette like a little fairy calling you from the other side of the river to help you to overcome your fear to cross it, and of Marco being the evil ghost of your fear that drag you down in the river: I'm crazy xD

When I saw this topic, I thought there was an official news, I'm so disapointed now ! xD

I would say Floor and Russell would be a great duo. For Marco, I think she fits well with Tarja esp. on Planet Hell. On the other hand, I find the Marco-Anette loveteam more pleasant to my ears! Their voices blended very well, esp. on Ghost River, The Birdie song & 7 Days to the wolves as the perfect examples!

What I want for the next album?

- Less orchestra

- Heavier stuff

- Marco and Floor duets

- Two ballads

- Songs (co-)written by Marco, Emppu and/or Troy! (Wouldn't mind Floor either but I do not crave it)

- More guitar solos and better riffs like Once and Wishmaster had!

- Double bass!

- A mix like Century Child

There definitely needs to be less ballads or instrumental passages. Tuomas' messages about the new album have made me hopeful.

I'm also hoping for less orchestras. I want to hear the band as sometimes I forget what it actually sounds like to hear them play. I think WT got a good balance with TU with this.

I also want less ballads & long complicated songs & some more heavier songs. I'm hoping Floor's metal voice with subconsciously make Tuomas write them.

^ I agree, back to basics, less of the choir and the orchestra and more focus on the guitar, the melody and some awesome keyboard orchestral hits lol.

I would say Floor and Russell would be a great duo.

Yes, they are

As for the new album, I don't know what to expect... But if it has less orhcestra it will be great (or at least to be used only for the "longest NW" track). 

Actually the only that I want from the new album, is to be pure and 100% what Tuomas wants and not what fans or the label or whoever wants. Sorry, I know that artists are supposed to take into consideration their fans, but for me this only applies to live shows. I certainly prefer a bad, but honest album over a mediocre album full of stuff the fans want, just for being fanbase-friendly.

Actually the only that I want from the new album, is to be pure and 100% what Tuomas wants and not what fans or the label or whoever wants. Sorry, I know that artists are supposed to take into consideration their fans, but for me this only applies to live shows. I certainly prefer a bad, but honest album over a mediocre album full of stuff the fans want, just for being fanbase-friendly.

I trust Tuomas to do just that.  He always has done that in the past, so I wouldn't expect that to change.  I also trust the results will be spectacular, especially with the new tools in the toolbox (Floor and Troy.)

I definitely want to see a more band focused album, and I'm pretty sure Tuomas has said that the next album will be, but will also include the orchestra and choirs. I'm interested to see whether "more band focused" means that it will be in the vein of Century Child, where the orchestra/ choirs did appear, and play quite prominent roles, but only on certain songs, or whether the orchestra/ choir will still be present in the majority of the songs (as on the last three albums), but be more in the background than they have been recently.

I read in one of the interviews in the interview section that the band might utilise Troy's vocals on the next album, not just as backing vocals. I'm quite interested to hear how he blends with Floor or Marco (or both).

You have to consider that for the former they couldn't afford any more orchestration than they used so they had to get creative and limit it to where it was essential and couldn't simply be replaced by a synthesizer. I think they could easily have had even more on Once than they did though, but at that point the ambition wasn't to let the orchestra be the driving force the way it was on Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum, apart from certain songs like Ghost Love Score. The album is full of guitar solos and moments where the orchestra is toned down. Its presence didn't really escalate to the current bombastic level until Dark Passion Play, even though it was still very prominent on Once. 

So in short, I think the amount of orchestra on their next album will be somewhere in between Century Child and Once, probably closer to the latter.

Since they aren't doing a movie this time around, I hope they put together a high-budget music video like Amaranth. I couldn't believe how many views that video got.

Also with Floor's powerful voice I hope they keep the orchestra bombastic.

album speculiations are always fun :)

I have no doubt this next album will be good as there isn't really one Nightwish record I absolutely dislike. Sure, there are ones I like more than others but in general they haven't released an album yet where I have to say "no, thanks".

My only wish would be if they could change their formula a bit more this time around as I thought the last two records sounded slightly too similar. I thought Irum was an excellent album but apart from "Slow, Love Slow" there wasn't really anything on it I haven't already heard on DPP. Sure, it was more theatrical because of the movie and everything but songs like Poet, Meadows, 7 Days, Sahara were quite symphonic and theatrical too if u ask me.
I like to compare DPP & Irum with Oceanborn & Wishmaster and I do think it's time for a Century Child now if you get what i mean. Change up the whole thing a little bit more without losing the NW trademarks we all love so much but I have no doubt this will be good!

Some stuff from Imaginaerum reminded me of Century Child, like for example Song of Myself (it has that Beauty of the Beast vibe) and Last Ride of the Day. 

Funny how people hear different things. The intro to Last Ride of the Day sounds a lot like Wishmaster to me and the song itself is more like Wanderlust.

As choirs go, I will be very relieved to hear Floor as the lead in the choir as she had done in earlier projects. What I didn't like about the iRum tour was that she did not do a lot of the choir parts, maybe it wasen't needed or something. But here, that 'can be fleshed out very nicely. Also, i'd be interested in Troy's vocal. This would not be terribly new with Floor, as After Forever had two male vocalists as well.

Hey Guys,

Wikipedia did it again.

"According to the band's webpage, the band will enter the studio in 2014 to record their eighth full length album, rumoured to be entitled "Elegia" [77] which is slated for release in spring 2015. This album is set to contain Nightwish's longest song to date, a song in Finnish called "Tuohaminen Metsa" which translates as Destruction of the Forest in English."

this  time, after the word "Elegia" there's a link to an alleged interview from December 29th, 2013

edit: if they really would make the longest NW song ever in finnish, only Marco would sing it, right? I don't think it's easy for a not-finnish native and especially not scandinavian person (Floor) to learn finnish that quick , even if you give her 1 year time.

Just delete it. If it was real, it would have been announced on the official website first.