N0One

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - 2015

2,465 posts in this topic

Of course it's gonna come back!
If I wanted to fool anyone with a wiki-page I would stalk the page for days and put the same thing up as soon as it was deleted :P
Anyway, I am eagerly waiting for some information about the new album, and also Tuomas' solo album!
So much good to look forward to!

What i want for the next album:

• i don't have a problem with them using less orchestra, but i do want it to be there, as well as the choirs.
  • I want Floor to use all of her "voices" i want belting, i want operatic vocals, i want grunts and semi-grunts, i want her softer voice, i want everything!
  • I want something music-wise they haven't done before! I don't know what, surpise me Nightwish!
  • I want more piano, both in ballads but also in heavier songs something like pharaoh sails to orion!
  • I want a killer album cover, and i want it to be in a different colour than the usual( yes blue, i'm looking at you)
  • I also want some killer videos!

Hey Guys! Tuomas did mention or imply that the next album would be a band effort and the songs will be compact and to the point. So on this I dont believe we will get orchestras or complex songs/arrangements. Floor is a rocker..a pure rock singer so a bunch of short to the point metal/rock songs would be perfect. I hope each member of the band will get a say in the writing process..I think so

Floor is a rocker..a pure rock singer so a bunch of short to the point metal/rock songs would be perfect. 

Welcome to the forum. I agree Floor is very good at rock/metal belting style. 

But I also disagree with you . Actually Floor is very versatile, capable of singing every kind of music from soft pop ballads to belted hard rock/heavy songs, to operatic singing, she even does some grunting. So making  just short straight  to the point songs also means not utilizing her talent. I think she's at her best when the material is more diverse. Meaning she's also capable of going from style to another within a song, even a single part in a song.

@Harvest   I guess it may come down to how much freedom the band or indeed Tuomas gives Floor to show her unique talent..I really hope they give her free reign because yes she certainly is a versatile singer

@Harvest   I guess it may come down to how much freedom the band or indeed Tuomas gives Floor to show her unique talent..I really hope they give her free reign because yes she certainly is a versatile singer

I do have a feeling Showtime is allready a kind of teaser to what they might do in the future. A little less orchestration, more guitars, but still there is also that symphonic element. Originally their style was more power metal-based, I think what we have next is a mix between those two. And that does give Floor the opportunity to show her talent.

Maybe not grunting, but ReVamp is for that.

2015 is indeed a long time. I do hope that Floor gets to utilize her versatility. In that respect I think the dvd didn't really showcase well enough what she can do. And I also hope they'll do some sort of best of album with her at some point. I wanna hear studio recordings of old songs with her. :)

I think I speak for everyone when I say I want more proper guitar solos like the one in Romanticide.

Magnus -> +1.

I wish Floor will use more her operatic voice, but I don't think she will^^

2015... Too far....

I think many fans will be disappointed if there are absolutely no classical moments with Floor on the next album. I've said it before, but even though no one is expecting them to go back to the days of Oceanborn and Wishmaster, I think a good mix of many different vocal styles would be most welcome. The Wacken gig is just that, very diverse. The operatic moments of "the one in the big blue...", "neverland, innocence, dreams of every man" and the wordless singing in Bless the Child all felt very special and provided a nice contrast to the aggressive vocals of Ghost River and Romanticide as well as the sweetness of She Is My Sin and Ever Dream. If you remove those operatic moments, it would definitely feel like something was missing from the show, knowing that Floor was capable of pulling them off but didn't.

^ Two favor points in three post slots, you're really bringing up the morale banner today, Magnus.  :P

Again, these are notions I have been advocating as well. While I do not expect a focus on operatic vocals this time, I find it hard to believe that style will be 100% ousted. If Tuomas himself says he is quire interested in what he can accomplish with Floor's diversity, one cannot completely rule out the possibility. 

As for Emppu on the next album, I am not asking for the tiring technicality of nearly every Oceanborn/Wishmaster song on each track. I am asking for a more David Gilmore'esque atmospheric properness that I have observed before in his style on slower songs. David Gilmore is not a shredder, but he sounds fantastic, the feeling of soaring comes with that style. Even on the fast side of things, we know its not fitting or practical to have him Dragonforce all over the song.

You see, when Tarja was in the band, there were three solo instuments present. Emppu, Tuomas, and Tarja. Each had their spots and harmonies, of course many of the older songs were highly Stratovarius and technical, but I know for sure with Floor they can do things like Dreamflight. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but pay attention to the different modes in the song and where the solos between Joost/Sander-Baas/Floor interact. It is that focus I am trying to describe that I feel will reflect on this new album.

http://youtu.be/TrJR50DT_lg

What would be appropriate would be intense openers or closes to a song, this would allow for the meat of the songs to focus on Floor and Tuomas while Emppu brings up the back. He is also known for little spurts of clever nimblness in some spots in these sorts of songs, it woulden't hurt to continue that notoriety.

These are songs with Tarja that feel balanced and not too crazy. Even two songs like these would suffice:

http://youtu.be/sY-cFEBXWpA

2015 is indeed a long time. I do hope that Floor gets to utilize her versatility. In that respect I think the dvd didn't really showcase well enough what she can do. And I also hope they'll do some sort of best of album with her at some point. I wanna hear studio recordings of old songs with her. :)

I think it's unlikely, for the same reason I thought it was unlikely when people were posting the same thing about Anette. Nightwish take long enough to release new albums as it is, without taking time to rerecord their old songs. Not to mention that Tuomas has said himself that Tarja and Anette did great jobs on their respective albums, no-one could have done a better job, without the history of the band and the former members, they wouldn't have reached the point they are at today, etc. - he might "just be being diplomatic", or whatever, but it doesn't point towards an eagerness to rerecord old stuff with their new vocalist. Even if they released a "Best Of", if it's a best of their whole career, would they even want to rerecord the older stuff?

As far as I'm aware, they've only re-recorded two songs throughout their career (Astral Romance and Sleeping Sun), one of which was at request from Tarja, if I'm not mistaken, and the only vocalist change was from Tuomas to Tony Kakko. I think it's possible that they might rerecord one or two old songs, maybe for a best of, or more likely if one of the members requests it in the meantime. But I think an album of rerecordings is very unlikely. Personally, I'm holding out hope for a few more pre-Once "oldies" to be brought out on the next tour, and for maybe some high quality live recordings, similar to how 6 songs from FWTE were included on the Over the Hills EP.

I'm wondering if there's maybe going to be more "heavier" songs on the new album. Given that Floor has the ability to belt and growl, and sing quite raspily, will we perhaps see more songs in the vein of "Slaying the Dreamer", "Master Passion Greed" (musically, not lyrically), etc. that don't rely so heavily on Marco for the "aggressive factor"? Not to say that there will be no ballads, or that Floor is unable to sing on softer songs- she demonstrably is (not to mention that we know that Marco also sings a pretty mean ballad, and from what we've heard of Troy, he also has a softer voice), just that now that they have a bit more variety to play with in doing some more aggressive songs.

I hope with the next album they'll achieve a bigger success in the US.

Me too. It would sure be nice if Nightwish could book larger venues. The music, in my opinion, is too 'epic' to be crammed into a small warehouse venue that holds only a couple hundred people. Many of the venues are small and could fit into a restaurant, but there are larger venues available that more popular artists book. For instance, I saw Evanescence years back, and they got a large venue with bleacher seating and a huge floor area, big stage, etc. Then I saw Nightwish, Therion, Epica, Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir and Kamelot all in this small cramped venue, same venue that hosts local battle of the bands for college aged kids. These bands get huge venues and huge turnout in Europe and South America, but not here, they are sadly unnoticed (even Kamelot originating from the USA). The venues are just too small, would love to see the bands move around stage more. Therion with all it's guests musicians basically stood sedentary in one spot while playing. Ugh.

What Kathleen and Eilenna said.

It would be immensely convenient if I could see them at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, for example. That and it would be nice if more people knew what I am on about with this 'Nightwish' I speak of.

Interesting, didn't know that. I thought metal, and Nightwish in this case, were quite big in the US. Is metal not that popular in the US, or is it a particular style of metal (symphonic/progressive etc) that doesn't have a large folllowing?

Interesting, didn't know that. I thought metal, and Nightwish in this case, were quite big in the US. Is metal not that popular in the US, or is it a particular style of metal (symphonic/progressive etc) that doesn't have a large folllowing?

Prog-metal (and all the sub-genres under it) are not at all popular in the US. 

Even the biggest prog-metal bands (i.e. Dream Theater etc) are playing 2,500-5,000 seat theaters here. 

Unless you're RUSH (which admittedly isn't prog-METAL) you're not in the arenas here. 

Even Yes has been downsized to mid to large theaters in the past few years. 

I agree it would be great for the band if their next album is more successful in North America. In a selfish way I'm like "oh but then I wouldn't be able to see them in the small venues and everything"... but the band definitely deserves more recognition here :)

And hopefully in the Philippines. Metal music has been alive in our small country but it's not widely accepted by the masses. I hope they would tour Hong Kong again, since it's about 2-3 hours flight from Manila. And when they toured in HK back in 2008, I was still a college student and can't afford to buy their tickets and fly outside the country.

I hope the band will do what they wanted to do, now we got Floor as their new lady, I guess we'll surely have a great output. Not just because of Floor's capabilities, but also the band is having this vehicle of spirit and I'm looking forward to what it will sound like. 2015 is a long year to wait, yes. But I guess, most of us are being impatient just because we hardly can't wait for what the new album will sound like. STST already teases us with what could they sound in the future, and I think everyone's excited about it.

A couple of times I've seen Nightwish at Brixton Academy, which has a capacity of about 5000 I think, but there's a balcony and fairly decent views from everywhere thanks to the sloping floor. I think it's the ideal sized venue for them really, anything larger and unless you're near the front you might as well be watching it on TV! Small venues can be great too - I just saw Leaves' Eyes in a tiny venue in Cardiff and though it didn't really suit their epic sound, it was nice for it to be so intimate.

As for the new album, I think any combination of Floor and Nightwish was always going to be awesome. I'm quite happy with both the really symphonic style and the more metal style so something in between would be ideal. And we already know that Tuomas wants to make use of the different aspects of Floor's voice. I'm intrigued by the extra long song though; I remember they said the same before but it ended up being split into Song of Myself/Imaginaerum, and a lot of that was more poem than music.

Is it definitely planned for 2015? Metal Hammer said it was 2014 in the latest issue, but I thought that seemed a little keen given that the band won't go to their recording camp until summer this year.

I remember they said the same before but it ended up being split into Song of Myself/Imaginaerum, and a lot of that was more poem than music.

More poem than music?

What do you call the part of the song which is underneath the poem?

I remember they said the same before but it ended up being split into Song of Myself/Imaginaerum, and a lot of that was more poem than music.

More poem than music?

What do you call the part of the song which is underneath the poem?

07:07 - 13:38 is poem.

0:00 - 07:07 is music, so music is slighty more present, but I get what Hapfairy meant.

For me, TPATP , which is about the same lenght, is much more alive and filled. Whenever i listen to Song of Myself, i skip at about minute 6 (of course at STST i listen to it fully the 7:53 Mins) .

At minute 6 the song is finish ringing, and then at 07.07-13.38 the man start narrating.

You can see more or less that NW themselves admitted that atleast min 7.53 - 13.38 is "underneath the poem"  (STST), to use your words. They didn't do it live with that narrator part.

TBH, for me the song is good, but the talking part is, atleast musically, plain boring tbh.

Indeed, I didn't mean it's literally more poem than music :P just that I'd like to see the new song being entirely music and vocals, without a long poetic interlude. I like the SOM poem a lot but I do skip it often and prefer to listen to the live version.

I will be just fine if they include a poem once again given that at least 80% of the song is the actual music. Not less than half of it, like they did it with Song of Myself. But still, I loved SoM, it was an epic song.