N0One

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - 2015

2,471 posts in this topic

Thanks Carol. At least for me, I'm ok without knowing the specifics. But, what can you compare the heaviness with? (another album, or song)

From Mika Jussila's Facebook:

"Nightwish listening sessions over. Two days at Finnvox, around 100 people got a possibility to hear the new master piece. Now it's time to party hard! Next week's plans still open, so don't know yet if it's ready or not. Waiting for final comments of the producer and the mixing engineer."

The final track is the longest, starts instrumental for a few minutes then a short (20 second?) narration from Dawkins

Oh god i read 20 minutes :P stupid me!

Thanks for the review very interesting! And yay for Floor's growls!

What can you say about Troy's parts?

Might as well make my first forum post in this thread :) Very much looking forward to the album, it all sounds very interesting. I for one don't mind the lack of Floor's operatic singing (although she has great moments with it in e.g. Wacken live) - I am relatively new fan, only took notice of Nightwish really when Dark Passion Play was released. I love it and I love Imaginaerum, never "grew up with Tarja as the vocalist", so I don't miss the operatic style as many others understandably do.

Hoping to read lots more reviews from the listening sessions in the coming days to ease the waiting!

Thank goodness it isn't preachy on either end, Nightwish has always been a beautiful gray escapist haven for me, it was where I have gone to get away from politics/religion/scientific proof.

Like the Black Sabbath song Under The Sun: 

Well, I don't want no Jesus freak to

Tell me what it's all about

No black magician telling me

To cut my soul out

Don't believe in violence

I don't even believe in me

I've opened the door

And my mind has been released

[later in the lyrics]

So believe what I tell you

It's the only way to fight in the end

Just believe what I tell you

You shouldn't have to pretend

So don't let those empty people

Try and interfere with your mind

Go and live your life

And leave them all behind

Simply, pushing ideals (no matter what it is) is a big turn off in most cases. I may or may not already believe in Jesus/magic/evolution, but I don't want others stating any of those things as UNDENIABLE PROVEN FACT.  In a way, all of us reject  parts of reality and substitute our own, because we simply do not want anyone to control our minds. If someone is open to what I can come to believe as religion or science, I only tell the story and let the listener decide. Nightwish has been very good at this right here. Tuomas has never outright written something that says "[        ] is the truth", leaving people who feel otherwise out in the cold. No one wants their favorite band to alienate them.

It think a lot of people feel that way about stuff like this. A lot of us already made up our minds in what is and what isn't and we all think differently, an album that is very specific to one view would have been rather unbalanced for long time fans. Some bands are very open about their beliefs, but their fanbase is only comprised of people who feel the same way.

The album is a lot heavier than I thought. Very strong guitar and drums. The use of orchestra compliments very well without being as noticeable as in Imaginerum. Floor of course is great but people wishing for her to use Her operatic style will be disappointed. She does do a bit of everything though (including growls).

I do apologise I didn't make notes of every track.'I just say listening to it. The final track is the longest, starts instrumental for a few minutes then a short (20 second?) narration from Dawkins then it kicks up a gear. Then we get vocals with a bit more narration and then it goes really powerful. Very enjoyable track.

It's tricky to listen to individual lyrics but I don't think or preached any religious or non religious themes onto you. I know a few people were concerned.

I'll try to answer questions when I'm back online tomorrow but without note making it might be tricky.

This all sounds super interesting but won't you get in trouble for sharing even this much? I know you're the admin and all but I know the band is super secretive about the songs themselves this time around.

If it's possible to reveal more, I also share an interest in Elan.

Well reviews are gonna start coming in probably this week anyway, so i don't think Carol will have any problem.

This all sounds super interesting but won't you get in trouble for sharing even this much? I know you're the admin and all but I know the band is super secretive about the songs themselves this time around.

If it's possible to reveal more, I also share an interest in Elan.

Nightwish never pushed any restrictions on people who were on the pre-listening sessions (other than using recording devices ofc). Once they heard it, the information will be out, that's why the tracklist was revealed on friday as well.

Carol, thanks for the first impressions! I have these questions from top of my head:

a) How many of the eleven songs were ballads?

b) Is there a noticeable difference in drumming since Kai joined?

c) Are there intros or instrumental songs without the band playing? I personally hope there won't be this time. The intro of a single song (The Greatest Show) I can tolerate

d) Is Élan a fast, mid-tempo or a slow song?

e) Does Marco have as many vocal parts as he did on DPP and IRum?

Okay lets try. It's really hard to remember things off one listening.

Elan- an mix of a bit of everything, starts soft with piano and pipes before building into full band when vocals enter. Probably mid tempo.

Quite powerful. Softens at end with acoustic guitar.

The full album I think is heavier than all their albums so far, however I feel Elan didn't reflect this and is one of the lighter on it.

Troy fits seamlessly, some vocals (backing and atmospheric vocal - ahhhs etc) lots of pipes and whistles but it worked and blended well even on heavier songs. He even sings in Welsh

Majestico:

A) ern I think we only have one 'ballad' but there are soft parts in other songs

B) drums are very powerful in this, whether or not it would of had a big a sound with Jukka i wouldnt know.

C) one instrumental track 10.

E) he does appear quite a lot but it's more a support rather than lead in most cases

Think I got them all. As I said it's quite tricky remembering. I wish I went back in to listen again. I do have a part from one song stuck in my head all night though and it's driving me insane hah

I'm honestly torn between how I feel about this album being "heavier" and orchestra being less "noticeable". On one hand, I know a lot of people have criticized Nightwish for going a little overboard with the orchestra at times (especially on Imaginaerum and maybe even Dark Passion Play), but at the same time, I also really enjoy the bombastic, epic orchestra with the music so I really do hope there's still some of that. I know Nightwish is a metal band first and foremost, not an orchestra scoring a film. But I do hope they still sound like Nghtwish to me and not too much like other heavier bands in the genre like Epica (I love Epica as well, they're just 2 totally different types of bands to me). Especially now with this album having two new core members, I hope it's still Nightwish.

So to make a long story short: Carol, if you could answer this: does this album still "feel" like a Nightwish album and does it hold up to the other albums? (Not asking you to rate it with the others in terms of your preference, just more of a comparison I guess.)

Is there a track on there with a more bombastic orchestra than the rest of the album? The thing I loved about DPP and Imaginaerum was the integration of orchestra and band. I hope there's still that to look forward to.

Yes I would say it does still sound very Nightwish.

I'm sorry adaminator I really can't recall. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of orchestra there but it's blended very well with the band parts. There are of course orchestra sections etc.

So interesting to read your perception after just one listen!

If you could compare your reaction to this album as opposed to your reaction to your Dark Passion Play first listen, which one caught you more? I ask this because both DPP and EFMB are transition albums between important line up changes.

DPP is my least preferred album. But it is hard to compare as the situations for listening were different. For Imaginarrum i made load of notes with the intention of writing a big review however this time around I just wanted to sit and enjoy the listening.

I do really like the power this new album gives off, I expected Floor to be very powerful and prominent but I found she was not as in your face as I thought. It's kind of hard to explain really to be honest. Not so 'vocalist and her band'

In all thought it is very much a band album, in the sense there is not focus on one member. Everything blends and complemts each other well.

Thanks for the answer! I'm really glad you got to hear it at least once and you enjoyed it. We only have a short wait until we get our chance to put our hands and ears on it.

Cheers!

Carol, thank you so much for the review, I just wanna ask what you meant when you said those who expected Floor to use her operatic vocals will be disappointed, does this mean she uses less operatic singing than we all thought? 

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Carol! Happy to read that EFMB sounds heavier than all their albums so far, I definitely hoped that the new band line-up would head a heavier path musically. Seems Floor's headbanging masterclass during the last world tour finally shows some results! ;)

edit: Makes me also hope for more stage action during the next world tour.

This topic has reached 100 pages, so a new one has been opened HERE

Several posts have been moved there to keep the convo going smoothly (more or less)  :)